• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just what is Sony doing with Vita? If they've given-up, they should just kill it.

I don't understand what's happening with this handheld. I haven't bought one yet, but I love the hardware and absolutely want it to succeed. Like many others though, I figured I'd wait till the library gets beefed-up. With the holidays right around the corner, I thought by now we'd have new colors, maybe a small price-cut/new bundle, along with some sweet new titles. None of that has happened, and it's almost as if as far as Sony's concerned, it just doesn't exist anymore. I don't recall anything worthwhile being shown for it at E3 or TGS. Just what's going on here?

Also, this might not be the time to pick and choose, but here it goes: I was hoping not just for more games, but games that feel specifically unique to the handheld. I get that it's a powerful handheld, but I hate it when developers try to recreate the same home-console experience for it. I can already play that at home with a nicer set-up, give me Vita games that are distinctly Vita games as opposed to a me-too-PS3 clones.

TwIsTeD

All i know is my retail friends are having a hard time offering it when theres only 4-6 titles "Coming Soon" for pre-order.

Vita is doooooomed.

26.+Waiting+for+Daffodils.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just bought VLR for my Vita. Past that, I'm not really sure what the hell I'm going to buy for it. I'm sure there will be something at some point.

I love the hardware. I wish the software library would pick up a bit.

mjc

Mine has been on the shelf for a few months and I'm only gonna dust it off for Persona 4. After I'm done with that it'll go right back on the shelf for another extended break.

Rubius

If its dying, I would need to buy all the games.
Always wanted to say "I have a complete collection for this console"

Gadirok

I bought one primarily to play my PS collection on the go and am having a blast.

Especially with LBP, and wipeout. I prefer those two on handhelds and they feel much better.

I purchased tokyo jungle and was waiting for a remote play patch, but nothing has happened yet. They said it would come out soon and it has for japan. Patiently waiting.

Then theres cross-save/cross-play/cross-buy. Thats going to be great for Sly 4, and All-stars. Preordered the PS3 versions.

Might pick up R&C:FFA but I tried the beta and didn't like it so I will let critic reviews and other user opinions let me decide before I take it on.

I don't have much on it ATM buy my collection is : Uncharted :GA, WipEout 2048 +WipEout HD Fury DLC, Super Stardust Delta + DLC, LBP Vita, and thats it.

But treasure park is pretty fun. Frobisher says is okay, and ToM:Blitz is super fun.

Einhander

The only games I own it for it, as of now, are Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and Ragnarok Odyssey. That's not too bad.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not in Japan.

Where you are is irrelevant. We're not speculating the future of the Vita within your immediate proximity.

The only games I own it for it, as of now, are Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and Ragnarok Odyssey. That's not too bad.

Yeah, I have RO, VLR, Lumines and Shinobido 2. I do need to buy Gravity Rush at some point.

mingus

But we do have a new color (white), new bundle (ACIII), new titles (someone from vita-gaf can do the exhaustive list), and cheap prices can be had if you just look. Heck, people on craigslist where I am are selling their vitas with games/memstick for under $200.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought NFS Hot Pursuit, Super Monkey Ball, SFxTekken and Assassin's Creed this week.

Durante

I just bought VLR for my Vita. Past that, I'm not really sure what the hell I'm going to buy for it. I'm sure there will be something at some point.

I love the hardware. I wish the software library would pick up a bit.
I'm in the exact same situation. I don't play on handhelds much anyway though, so I don't really mind the sporadic game offerings.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
-Software sales have stagnated for current gen systems.
-Mobile devices have shifted towards casual, smaller titles.
-Ramp up to the next gen has started in several major game companies.
-That leaves developers with the following choices: make a game for PS3/360 that has a somewhat more uncertain return, make a game for iOS/Android that's far cheaper and easier to develop for, make a next gen title, or make a title for Vita that has the budget of a PS3/360 game and an even more uncertain return.

The Vita exists in a place where there's no real incentive to develop for it. That *should* come from Sony, but they have their own budget woes and have the PS3 to maintain and the PS4 to develop for, so they can't give it their all like the PSP.

I honestly have no idea what the future will be like for the Vita, or even the 3DS. It's not pretty out there for the two handhelds.

Oni Jazar

I don't understand what's happening with this handheld. I haven't bought one yet, but I love the hardware and absolutely want it to succeed. Like many others though, I figured I'd wait till the library gets beefed-up. With the holidays right around the corner, I thought by now we'd have new colors, maybe a small price-cut/new bundle, along with some sweet new titles. None of that has happened, and it's almost as if as far as Sony's concerned, it just doesn't exist anymore. I don't recall anything worthwhile being shown for it at E3 or TGS. Just what's going on here?

Wha- there's been a glut of games that were just recently dumped onto the system. Also New bundle (Assassins Creed) that reduces the prices of the system since it includes a game and a memory stick.

Also, this might not be the time to pick and choose, but here it goes: I was hoping not just for more games, but games that feel specifically unique to the handheld. I get that it's a powerful handheld, but I hate it when developers try to recreate the same home-console experience for it. I can already play that at home with a nicer set-up, give me Vita games that are distinctly Vita games as opposed to a me-too-PS3 clones.

Ah you're one of those.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Picked up AC:L and NFS:MW

Haven't played either yet because I've been playing Ragnarok Odyssey and Dokuro non stop (and finally getting into VLR). My Vita is the only system I'm even playing lately and will pretty much carry me through the holidays.

Ricker

What do you mean no bundles? aren't there like 2 out(Madden and AC L) with the COD bundle coming soon?...Some stores in Canada even threw in a 50 dollars gift card with the AC bundle...Liberation is out,COD soon,Ragnarok Odyssey,NFS,Silent Hill and all the downloadable games and PS+,if you are in to that...I bought the AC Bundle and very glad I did.

Moobabe

All i know is my retail friends are having a hard time offering it when theres only 4-6 titles "Coming Soon" for pre-order.

I have a lot of people's interest piqued when I mention PS1 classics - but yeah as a Christmas gift there's only so many times I can say "It's got a Call of Duty and an Assassin's Creed!"

You love the hardware, but you haven't bought one yet. Thats the problem OP.

i am in the same situation, but in the end i have NEVER bought hardware without the appropriate killer ap/great games for it!

I HAD to have the N64 for Mario 64 period!

I didn't buy my Wii until Galaxy was there

Same with the 3DS that i only got because of Kid Icarus and Mario 3D Land

As for Sony Consoles, PS3 had Uncharted, Infamous etc.

The PSP i only bought later on when it had a ton of great games (mainly JRPGS)

As soon as Vita will have either at least ONE killer AAA game that everyone NEEDS to have or at least have a respectable library of great games that you cannot play ANYWHERE ELSE, i will wait!

Your move Sony...

I purchased tokyo jungle and was waiting for a remote play patch, but nothing has happened yet. They said it would come out soon and it has for japan. Patiently waiting.

I will seriously start carrying my Vita with me everywhere once this happens.

There's no market for it. The group of people that are interested in a console experience on the go are niche, and more console games like AC and CoD aren't going to change anyone's mind.

Vlodril

There are alot of games for the vita. If you don't know about them , you haven't been paying attention. Unless you live in Japan. There it is a problem at the moment at least.

whitehawk

Banned
I got a Vita at launch and use it nearly every day on my commute. I don't know why it's selling. I enjoy it much more than my 3DS.

HardRojo

You love the hardware, but you haven't bought one yet. Thats the problem OP.

Exactly, if you love the hardware then support it instead of sending it to hell and bad, the library isn't quite there yet but if people started supporting the hardware then the software wouldn't be a problem.

Einhander

Damn it, Square Enix. Just do what you did with Final Fantasy 7 for PS1 and announce Final Fantasy 15 for Vita! Save the Vita!

Astra

I just picked up the ACIII:L bundle, and preordered VLR beforhand, and Persona 4. Quite a lot of other games on my list to buy, as well.

The Vita never had a chance but I figured it could live a long fulfilling life (to me anyway) on a slow drip of Japanese releases like the PSP did. Sadly that isn't going to happen :(

I bet we get at least one PSP game that releases after the last Vita games comes out

Just bought LittleBigPlanet Vita, NFS Hot Pursuit and Gravity Daze this week as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal. Planning to pick up Ass Creed as soon as I'm done with these.

These are the first games I've bought since launch, because honestly, these are the only truly good games that came out after the system's launch.

Sony, get quality games on the thing, not crappy ports like Resistence Burning Skies but quality ports that are on par with the console versions (NFS Hot Pursuit and LBP Vita). Then people will buy those games and the sytem.

Shion

Vita is neither dead nor beyond saving.

Software sells hardware.

Sony needs a huge killer-up for the Vita and they better find it fast.

Diablos54

Exactly, if you love the hardware then support it instead of sending it to hell and bad, the library isn't quite there yet but if people started supporting the hardware then the software wouldn't be a problem.
That would make sense if it wasn't the software which sold the hardware in the first place. Little software = Little sales = Little future support.

Software sells hardware.

Sony needs a huge killer-up for the Vita and they better find it fast.
This is the problem that the Vita faces, no killer apps, and there doesn't seem to be any in sight.

DBT85

More than happy with mine. Been playing it for 3-4 hours almost every day for the last few weeks.

Sorry.

U2NUMB

I am doing my best to support it.. LBP, NFS MW , AC3L. I hardly have time to play it but I am buying the games showing my support but I fear for the future of it.

sajj316

Remaining schedule for 2012 ...

NOVEMBER 20th

Persona 4: Golden
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

NOVEMBER 27th

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

DECEMBER 11th

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Salsa

Sony admitting they screwed up with a device and failed to support it with the proper software, marketing and attention it needed to succeed? and actually killing it altogether?

Sony admitting they did something wrong?

lol

Bgamer90

Banned
Handheld gaming is dead outside mobiles. It's just a matter of time before Sony pull the plug.

It's definitely smaller than it was before but it's not dead.

Even during the Game Boy era the PS Vita more than likely wouldn't have done well. Too expensive and lacks mainstream appeal when it comes to what most people want for portable gaming.

Top Bottom