• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Thug Larz

Neo Member
So should this be a Game of the Year contender? Because it is pressing all the buttons of "thing I wish I had money for so I could buy."

It is for me, but you have to understand I used to do speed runs of the first couple RE games for fun back in the day. This game just scratches that itch in a way few recent games have other than Dark Souls.

Should I check out the Bricklane Markets before heading to Buckingham? Seems there's some useful items to be had.

Time for a suicide run. And with that I came up with an idea...

Teknoman

Later on you'll get a spray paint can (just right near the bed in your safe house inside the lockers). Press and hold A to write messages on the ground or on walls.

Its B. The controller layout makes you think "A" though :p

Anyway, not sure if anyone here has seen any of my messages, but I try to leave warnings more than hints. Also i wish you could vote a message as useful instead of just "dont trust".

Kind of spoiler-ish for one particular section a few hours in.

Did anyone turn the DJ table off in the apartment? I would imagine the zombies would immediately come out of their trance, but I don't know for sure. I hit the zombie that was closest to the door, and she would never really respond to me. Just kept zoning back out. My curiosity almost won, but I went ahead without turning the music off

Didn't have the balls to try it. Plus I wanted to save my supplies for the trap I was about to lay lol

Mael

For X's sake earvcunanan your playthrough were awesome and now I know that I think I can't pick it up till later next week...
Yes I expected a reverse Wii launch with being able to get one no pb...
No stock anywhere in my PAL land town.

Kind of spoiler-ish for one particular section a few hours in.

Did anyone turn the DJ table off in the apartment? I would imagine the zombies would immediately come out of their trance, but I don't know for sure. I hit the zombie that was closest to the door, and she would never really respond to me. Just kept zoning back out. My curiosity almost won, but I went ahead without turning the music off

Didn't have the balls to try it. Plus I wanted to save my supplies for the trap I was about to lay lol

I did after staring at them for a couple minutes deciding if I was brave enough. They turned and attacked instantly.

So I just beat it...and that's it? The ending is incredibly short and tells you almost nothing. Also, I never encountered the big twist alluded to by staff prior to the games release.

I mean, here's a direct quote.

Speaking with ONM, Zombi U story director Gabrielle Shrager teased, “There is a twist. ZombiU is a thriller, but only the most persistent and best-prepared survivors will discover what the twist is before the reveal.”

But there was no reveal, what the fuck.

olimpia84

I finally got this game yesterday (Newegg slow ass shipping) and I'm enjoying it but only in small chunks. I thought I was doing very well, got to the section right before entering the Palace with my 2nd survivor, died, and after that I died some four more times so I'm playing with my 7th character right now. The game is definitely though and despite the combat system being a bit flawed, it's fun still.

Is there a limit on how many characters you can use? At this rate I'll probably need 100 people to get through the game lol

I did after staring at them for a couple minutes deciding if I was brave enough. They turned and attacked instantly.

Yep this happened to me and I was terrified and ran. I got away luckily.

So I just beat it...and that's it? The ending is incredibly short and tells you almost nothing. Also, I never encountered the big twist alluded to by staff prior to the games release.

I mean, here's a direct quote.

Speaking with ONM, Zombi U story director Gabrielle Shrager teased, “There is a twist. ZombiU is a thriller, but only the most persistent and best-prepared survivors will discover what the twist is before the reveal.”

But there was no reveal, what the fuck.

Yeah I'm a little puzzled as well. I'm guessing
it has something to do with the prepper and the fact that he was right next door and has a fake foot?
Yeah.... no idea.

Malvingt2

Screen-shot-2012-11-27-at-2.34.30-PM.png

http://nintendoeverything.com/106987/zombiu-dev-team-teases-something-coming-tomorrow/

Still haven't found a clear answer to this ZombiU question:

By what exact process do other player's zombified characters enter my game world? When do they have items and when wouldn't they?

njean777

So I just beat the part where
I tried to save the girl at the church
but I have no clue where to go from here, the prepare just said
Prepper out
and now I only have the letter missions to go do, but I cannot do them as I do not have the pad upgrade to decipher the symbols. I could have swore I got it, but it is not letting me decrypt the one at brick lane flats at all.

About 2/3 of the way through and holy fuck at the
Nursery. So freaking creepy, I wanted to quit too but the way back was blocked :/ So I kept going and eventually found the medacine. Then holy fuck at the teleporting nurse. I knew it was coming, it was in the E3 demo that I sadly watched, but damn now, damn.

I immediatly freaked out and tried to shoot her with my pistol but ran out've bullets, so all I had was my cricket bat.

A fucking bat was all I had to kill a teleporting zombie nurse. And you know what? I did it with a silver of health left. So after that I thought you had to go into the room that had a number lock on it but after asking on Miiverse, because I just wanted to get the hell out've there and I could only find one number, I realized that I completely missed the actual exit. Whatever weapon is in there can screw itself because I just wanna get the heck out've here.

So I go up...and hear a bomb zombie. Are you kidding me? I scan and can the bomber sleeping on the floor. I have no bullets left, so there is no way to kill it without killing myself. I keep scanning and find a health pack, and some bullets for my hand gun.

ATLASTIAMSAVEDBUTWTF???? The bullets are right by the sleeping bomber. So I tread, ever so carefully, to get to them without startling the bomber. As soon as I aquire the ammo the bomber wakes up so I am in a hurry to reload, aim, and fire at him. I do fire at him but he was standing so close that any health that I gained by that med pack is now gone. So I'm down to a silver of health AGAIN.

I break the barrier blocking the door when four zombies start coming at me. I quickly close the door, ready my cricket bat, and hope for the best. With careful manuvering and some help from the needle...thingy I manged to actually kill three of them and only got hit once. Unfortunatly my time was at a end and the last zombie got me. But its ok, there should hopefully only be two zombies now, and as long as I take a flare from my safe house storage then I should be good. Hopefully I can save after that, but that will have to wait for tomorrow. Can't take anymore tonight.

I am really getting awesome at the game. I have one more story to tell.

At the part right before the petrol station(?) there are like idk...6-10 zombies just out in the field. At that time, I had six bullets for my pistol, and a cricket bat. One by one, I lured each one into the alley by walking just for enough for one of them to notice me. I also had only one single inch of health. One attack, and that would've been it.

So after I took care of all the near ones, I shot a bullet, one at a time, for each of the farway ones, trying desperatly not to startle two or more, especially the spitter. I eventually got them all except for the spitter, but one of the infected had a mine on them. My only experience with a mine was me killing myself so I was nervous, but I set it up at the entrance of the alley and quickly backed away. I shot my last bullet at the spitter then immediatly ran back and sideways into another alley. I heard the mine go off and screamed for joy at how good at was getting!

I never thought I would like this type of game, but after 10 hours and 39 minutes I do, and I really can't believe how much I am liking it. Serous GOTY contender for me. So much awesome in it.

Prepper out
and now I only have the letter missions to go do, but I cannot do them as I do not have the pad upgrade to decipher the symbols. I could have swore I got it, but it is not letting me decrypt the one at brick lane flats at all.

Yeah at this point that's what you should be doing. I hope it's not a bug :(

AndTAR

About 2/3 of the way through and holy fuck at the (massively long spoiler text)
Lol - you're really making it tempting to highlight and read those paragraphs!

Definitely going to buy this - I think the user reactions in here, and elsewhere, speak for themselves. Considering download purchase, as I guess that would contribute even more to the publisher/developer (sidestepping distributor/retailer revenue.)

fart town usa

Gold Member
I never thought I would like this type of game, but after 10 hours and 39 minutes I do, and I really can't believe how much I am liking it. Serous GOTY contender for me. So much awesome in it.

That's what I love about this game. With so many games, everyone experiences basically the same thing. With ZombiU you can go about the situations so differently. It creates such an intense experience for the players and you can't help but want to tell everyone. I'm the same way with the game. Some of the events within the game are so incredibly awesome that it leaves the player no choice but to share it with others.

It's definitely my GOTY.

So whats concensus on Gamespot review now that alot of us have played the game for ourselves?

Personally, I think it was done on purposes to diminish the Wii U launch. I can understand that the game might not be for everyone but to rate it so low is complete bullshit.

Diffense

Anybody got is as a digital download? I have a sudden feeling got an impulse purchase and after someone said they got Nintendo to transfer a NNiD I'm tempted. Musn't yield....or not...

Prepper out
Solution in spoilers assuming you do indeed have what you need:
You have to line up the symbols on the wall with the one painted on the windows in the next room before the decrypter will pick it up.

This is going to take getting used too !

I just hope it's not Ghost N Goblins type hard
Proper health pickups (be it consumable items or you recover health as you walk over them) don't make a game as hard as Ghosts & Goblins, especially since they were the norm for most games in the nineties.

Poetaster

Banned
Anybody got is as a digital download? I have a sudden feeling got an impulse purchase and after someone said they got Nintendo to transfer a NNiD I'm tempted. Musn't yield....or not...
I bought and downloaded it last night. Took about 5 hours to download and 40 minutes to install, if I'm remembering correctly it's 5.7 GB. I hope the speeds of downloads and installs gets improved soon because some games are three times the size of ZombiU.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I bought it as a digital download. Took almost four hours to download and then had a forty minute install. Did it all in the background while playing Nintendo Land though, so I can't really complain. Going to use my points I'll get back from it and NSMBU for Nano Assault next month.. whenever the Deluxe promotion goes live.

Took me 17h30m to beat normal mode. Loved every second. Just intense the whole way through. Started on survivor but dang I really miss the upgraded radar. This has been my favorite game so far this year.

Diffense

Thanks PoeTaster and EvilMario. I'm *this* close to downloading it before I turn into bed. Or I could just wait and get it tomorrow. The player impressions have me intrigued.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So whats concensus on Gamespot review now that alot of us have played the game for ourselves?

Personally, I think it was done on purposes to diminish the Wii U launch. I can understand that the game might not be for everyone but to rate it so low is complete bullshit.

I think the guy that reviewed it is probably the same type of person who was complaining about "tank controls" while the rest of us were busy exploring a mansion with chris, jill & barry.

ZombiU is a damn fine game. No other way around it. There are clipping problems here and there and combat on stairs can look funny (zombies literally shooting into the air) but there is nothing in this game that would warrant anything below a 7. I respect Edge's score because I feel like they're one of the few outlets that use a 10 point scale appropriately.

The gamespot, ign and game informer reviews are complete and utter nonsense. All of those reviews were published before the online functionality was even available. I know for damn sure they aren't going to do a retraction or an update. The majority of videogame journalists are not journalists. The majority of them probably don't even have a degree in journalism, or english for that matter. Especially not the clowns at ign. Those guys are too busy living the supposed lifestyle of a "gaming journalist" that they've forgotten that their job is to act as watchdogs and report news so we can make informed decisions. It's the same concept with local news and world news.

Besides, people on neogaf should be smarter than to judge games solely on reviews. Let the masses have their opinions formed through others. Not me though, I'll play it for myself and decide.

/rant

VICI0US

aww man, I just the supplies from lost my longest running survivor of 6~ hours. that guy was loaded too.. level 4 crossbow/handgun skill, 3 large medkits, tons of ammo, flares, molotovs, etc

on my way to recover the corpse I was blinded by a spitter and taken down, so everything's gone.

this game's brutal.. and yet I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow morning after work.

I don't have a Wii U, but I've been craving one. I didn't think I would, but this game just intrigues me so damn much.

Are you guys still loving it a week later?

I found a random zombified player with loot for the first time, and boy... did it have a lot of loot rofl. Why carry so much stuff with you like that? Welp... "don't mind if I do", I says.

What triggers random user zombies to show up?

I don't have a Wii U, but I've been craving one. I didn't think I would, but this game just intrigues me so damn much.

Are you guys still loving it a week later?

Yes, indeed. Surprise hit of the year for sure.

njean777

Solution in spoilers assuming you do indeed have what you need:
You have to line up the symbols on the wall with the one painted on the windows in the next room before the decrypter will pick it up.

Proper health pickups (be it consumable items or you recover health as you walk over them) don't make a game as hard as Ghosts & Goblins, especially since they were the norm for most games in the nineties.

Oh ok, so there is more to the actual story after I collect these?

I just beat survivor!

I am number 2 on the leader board now.

I missed out on 1st place by about 200 points. Doesn't burn at all though because I am just happy did it.

Nice. Just saw you and seven others singled out by the developers on the wall outside of the safe house for going deep. And they taunted the rest of us. I like it.

kizmah

Any indication of how the game is selling in the US? Can't wait for EU release. Your impressions in this thread are much appreciated.

Pikma

Banned
3 hours in and yup, this is a GOTY contender already. The atmosphere is really superb, I know the problem was on me but this game is what I initially wanted/expected out of the L4D when it's concept was first revealed.

Sanctuary

How are people getting 20K+ on the leaderboards; are they simply farming zombies again and again, especially
at the "escape the safe house" section at the end
?

I just finished it again in 9h 23m and only ended up with 18160--no deaths. I killed practically every zombie I could too, but I didn't backtrack again and again to spawn more.

Also, did anyone else feel like the ending credits came in at the wrong time? When they popped up, I thought "huh, that's it?" but then the game continued, and then after I finished there were no credits.

Kinda wish that there was a way to 'run'. Nothing too too fast given that you have the backpack and wouldn't want to make it TOO easy to flee, but just something that's a bit faster that normal left stick movement that also renders you incapable of interacting with stuff temporarily

other than that, amazing game so far

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really wished I had more time to play this. I jumped into ZombiU for a hour last night, made it to the Tower of London and had to quit because I was exhausted from the day. I thought Thanksgiving break would give me a bunch of free time to play, but most of it went to late night escapades with the family and the little WiiU time I had was used to play with the family on NintendoLand (which is amazing btw), COD local, and Madden local. Now I'm in the bulk of preparation for finals... and I wish Christmas Break could get here soon. I don't know how you post-college working class gamers with a family of your own make time for this hobby at all!

The Wednesday message is gone :^|

What did it say?

Kinda wish that there was a way to 'run'. Nothing too too fast given that you have the backpack and wouldn't want to make it TOO easy to flee, but just something that's a bit faster that normal left stick movement that also renders you incapable of interacting with stuff temporarily

You mean like pressing the left stick?

Tap the left stick and you should be able to pick up the pace for a few seconds until you become winded. You don't have to hold it down.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tap the left stick and you should be able to pick up the pace for a few seconds until you become winded. You don't have to hold it down.

I enjoy how (at least it seems) didn't characters have different stamina levels too. Some seem to run for a long time and others can only sprint a short distance.

ahhh, of course. PRESSING the left stick! Thanks, chaps. There's two deaths I could have avoided.

Last night after playing this stoned for about 90 mins I booted up Little Inferno and went to a very safe and happy place before eventually hitting the sack

Top Bottom