• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Esura

Banned
but thats why im starting to dislike what they are doing to super modern megaten :(

Ah. I love that stuff. I love seeing skin.

Conversely, that screenshot and this screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/pDoF7.jpg

Pretty much contradict entirely the crazies that said P3 and 4 were already this fan-servicey. And that's ignoring the new bath house scenes!

Persona 3 FES, the most popular version of P3, has stuff like that. Also P3P too.

I'm one of the crazies who kind of felt like it was already there to begin with as well. These new editions just being honest about it about showing it up front.

Dantis

It's really only in post P2 Persona games. But they are also the most popular ones too. :p

They're also my favourite ones, unfortunately.

Persona 3 FES, the most popular version of P3, has stuff like that. Also P3P too.

I'm one of the crazies who kind of felt like it was already there to begin with as well. These new editions just being honest about it about showing it up front.

Nope. The high-cut armor was just a bikini, right? That, is full-on... Something.

Lombax

Banned
Two questions:

1. is anyone working on an OT?

2. Is it honestly worth buying a Vita just to play this game.

I am very interested in playing it but i don't know if I am willing to pick up a Vita just to play it. If the Vita was not so shallow on games it would not be as much of a concern.

Esura

Banned
They're also my favourite ones, unfortunately.
That's...kind of funny.

I wish Devil Survivor added some of that skin service. A bonus Yuzu and Amane video!

i feel like i keep posting this, P2 Duo > P4 > P1 = P3

Oh hey I finally became a Member

Congrats. You in there now.

I've played a bit of P2 IS and I already know I wont like it over P3 or 4 on the grounds of it's gameplay alone. Still like it and P1 though.

Venfayth

Two questions:

I am very interested in playing it but i don't know if I am willing to pick up a Vita just to play it. If the Vita was not so shallow on games it would not be as much of a concern.

Between this, VLR, Gravity Rush, and having access to PSN PSP RPGs (P3P yay) - my investment in the Vita which was originally just for P4G has been extremely worth it.

Dantis

Two questions:

Have you played the original P4? If not, maybe. If yes, absolutely not.

Esura

Banned
Nope. The high-cut armor was just a bikini, right? That, is full-on... Something.

mitsuruhicut.gif

yukarihicut.gif

That's...kind of funny.

I wish Devil Survivor added some of that skin service. A bonus Yuzu and Amane video!

Congrats. You in there now.

I've played a bit of P2 IS and I already know I wont like it over P3 or 4 on the grounds of it's gameplay alone. Still like it and P1 though.

did you play the PSP one? That one was messed up balanced wise and all the enemies are mostly complete non threats, quite a bit doing even only like 1 hp damage at all times...

Dresden

A pity that a classy and totally above-the-genre RPG like waifusona Persona 4 is getting inundated with fanservice.

Sophia

Pretty much contradict entirely the crazies that said P3 and 4 were already this fan-servicey and illustrate my problems with the game. And that's ignoring the new bath house scenes!

Whoa. That's just tactless. And completely out of character.

This is just all sorts of awesome tho.

Dantis

Whoa. That's just tactless. And completely out of character

Mhmm. Naoto seems to be the character who is probably focused on the most. Nearly all of her costumes seem completely out of character.

She also has huge boobs now, which is just bizarre.

Roto13

Pretty much contradict entirely the crazies that said P3 and 4 were already this fan-servicey and illustrate my problems with the game. And that's ignoring the new bath house scenes!

Either I don't have that costume or I never put it on. What the hell is it even supposed to be?

I have her in the Ouendan costume which is awesome.

Dantis

Either I don't have that costume or I never put it on. What the hell is it even supposed to be?

I didn't get it either. One of the teachers gives it you in January apparently, and there's a version of it for Yukiko and Chie too.

It's the equivalent of high-cut armor.

Sophia

That is far worse than what they did in Persona 3. There the worst was the high cut armor (which isn't too much worse than your average swimsuit or dance outfit), and the fanservice ran both ways.

That, however, is just stupid. Out of all the possible fanservice outfits, why THAT one?

Well, the Chie and Yukiko ones aren't quite as bad... still, that's worse than the high-cut armor.

mollipen

Um, how do this give the Persona female fan population the middle finger? Its not like there isn't a Kanji alt in only his underwear, oh wait there is. Or that P3P allows you to play as a female main character who social links feel somewhat otome-ish.

There's a very important word in your post: alternate. The fanservice-y outfits are completely optional choices, and people like me can totally avoid using them if they're bothered by them. And, as you say, they exist for both sides of the coin. (However, if I had my way, I'd be part of the "No Fun Allowed" police and remove those outfits from the game completely.)

I just get bugged by stuff like bath house scenes, because stuff like that is typically the territory of hentai games or the super-fanservice stuff. Yes, I know–Persona already had the bath house stuff—but I thought it was always done in a light-hearted way that didn't feel pervy. The images posted early feel like they exist simply for the "OMG I want to see my Persona waifu naked" population.

One of the reasons I love P4's ladies—Chie especially—is because the feel like actual, valid female characters, versus what so many other JRPGs offer up. Again, sure, maybe I'm blowing this way out of proportion, but those shots basically then reduce these characters that I have respect for to just a bunch of naked chicks.

I have a legit, serious problem with the trend that gaming—and other medium—has for establishing quality, respectable female character, and then finding an excuse to show them naked (or as naked as possible).

Lombax

Banned
Between this, VLR, Gravity Rush, and having access to PSN PSP RPGs (P3P yay) - my investment in the Vita which was originally just for P4G has been extremely worth it.

I do not have access to a PS3 / PSN so it would be the Vita on its own. Good to know either way thank you.

Dantis

Ehh, I don't mind that epilogue too much. But I never thought about it until you said something.

I do agree with shidoshi for the most part, however. ><;

Nah, that didn't bother me at all either. It was more to further my point that Golden is sexualised to a greater extent, in multiple situations, than previous titles.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There's a very important word in your post: alternate. The fanservice-y outfits are completely optional choices, and people like me can totally avoid using them if they're bothered by them. And, as you say, they exist for both sides of the coin. (However, if I had my way, I'd be part of the "No Fun Allowed" police and remove those outfits from the game completely.)

I just get bugged by stuff like bath house scenes, because stuff like that is typically the territory of hentai games or the super-fanservice stuff. Yes, I know–Persona already had the bath house stuff—but I thought it was always done in a light-hearted way that didn't feel pervy. The images posted early feel like they exist simply for the "OMG I want to see my Persona waifu naked" population.

One of the reasons I love P4's ladies—Chie especially—is because the feel like actual, valid female characters, versus what so many other JRPGs offer up. Again, sure, maybe I'm blowing this way out of proportion, but those shots basically then reduce these characters that I have respect for to just a bunch of naked chicks.

I have a legit, serious problem with the trend that gaming—and other medium—has for establishing quality, respectable female character, and then finding an excuse to show them naked (or as naked as possible).
If that's all it takes for you to change your opinion on a character to that degree then they probably weren't good characters in the first place.

mollipen

If that's all it takes for you to change your opinion on a character to that degree then they probably weren't good characters in the first place.

I didn't say it changes my opinion of any of the characters, I said I don't like the treatment of those characters.

Dantis

I never played the original Persona 4.

Then maybe. It's a pretty huge game (Close to 70 hours long), features a terrific art style, one of my favourite gaming soundtracks and my favourite cast of characters in any game.

Have a look at some media and see what you think of it I guess.

Whilst listening to Fog.

Mhmm. Naoto seems to be the character who is probably focused on the most. Nearly all of her costumes seem completely out of character.

She also has huge boobs now, which is just bizarre.

It was implied a tiny bit in P4, but it was only a throwaway small gag that fans latched onto that ended up becoming a thing

"Either I don't have that costume or I never put it on. What the hell is it even supposed to be? "

This game's High Cut Armor/Battle Panties type, each girl has their own, take your pick:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63x0wkJNQ1rois19o1_1280.jpg

LuuKyK

Wtf? How comes I've never seen those costumes just posted when I played the original? They are kind of amazing. And I thought I had played a lot. <_< Are they new additions to Golden or something? I refuse to believe.

Lombax

Banned
Then maybe. It's a pretty huge game (Close to 70 hours long), features a terrific art style, one of my favourite gaming soundtracks and my favourite cast of characters in any game.

Have a look at some media and see what you think of it I guess.

Whilst listening to Fog.

a 70 hour RPG sounds awesome to me right now, and I enjoyed the track you linked. Thanks.

Sophia

Wtf? How comes I've never seen those costumes just posted when I played the original? They are kind of amazing. And I thought I had played a lot. <_< Are they new additions to Golden or something? I refuse to believe.

There were no alternative costumes in the original; They're all new additions to Golden.

Uthred

A bikini with gloves and stockings, then. The Golden ones are much more sexualised.

That isnt really a bikini, its got a leateresque texture, gloves and thigh high stockings. Its much more weird fetish gear than it is swimwear i.e. purely sexualised and pure fanservice. Just like the weird micro bikini briefs from P4 you linked above.

Sophia

The Yukiko one makes her look like a fantasy anime character, and isn't quite as bad. The Chie one is just awkward, and the Naoto one is awkward, out of character, and all sorts of stupid.

Top Bottom