• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

LWW0d.png
lxWz2.jpg

opQQM.png

Lumia 920:
Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon
PENTABAND
(Works on T-Mobile USA's 4G)
8.7 MP (8 MP effective, 3264 x 2448 pixels), Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, dual-LED flash
IPS TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 768 x 1280 pixels, 4.5 inches (~332 ppi pixel density)
Adreno 225 GPU
Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
2000 mAh battery
(17 hours of talk time)

Lumia 820:
Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait
8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, Carl Zeiss Tessar lens, F2.2, dual LED flash
AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
480 x 800 pixels, 4.3 inches (~217 ppi pixel density)
Adreno 225 GPU
Accelerometer, proximity, compass
Standard battery, Li-Ion 1650 mAh (BP-5T)
(14 hours of talk time)

AwEZq.png

TheVerge

Engadget

PCPro

ExpertReviews

Cnet

TechRadar

PCMag

Gizmodo

Pocket-lint

The Inquirer

Will post more as they become more available

Press-release; Lumia 920 for $99 and Lumia 820 for $49 on contract with AT&T

In the states, the 920 is exclusive to AT&T, but Verizon and T-Mobile will get 820 variants:

810 (T-Mobile)
wjw0L.png

822 (Verizon)
R4cRj.png

Snaku

Banned
I was totally on board with waiting for the 920, and I've waited six months to get my first smartphone. But dat price.

Nexus 4 is too good a deal to pass up. Maybe I'll get a Lumia one day.

UraMallas

Lumia 920 in Cyan! Good bye, Verizon. I can't pass up $100 phone that looks that good with such a great camera. The free wireless charging pad is icing on the cake.

I was totally on board with waiting for the 920, and I've waited six months to get my first smartphone. But dat price.

Nexus 4 is too good a deal to pass up. Maybe I'll get a Lumia one day.

Price is $100 on contract with a free wireless charging pad.

ektoll

Nice title!

I'm disappointed by the price of the phone alone, so that's why I'll choose the N4 but goddamn the 920 is really really a great device :/

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Looks to be a great phone and the price is pretty great too. I would have gotten this if it weren't for the N4 pricing. That and they're only selling the black one in Canada right now.

Snaku

Banned
It's only $99 on contract with AT&T

$90 a month minimum for texting and 3GB of data with the AT&T/Lumia for 2 years, or $30 a month 100mins, unlimited texting and data with tmobile/Nexus 4.

And I'd have to pay a $150 deposit when I sign up for that 2 year contract because I have no credit.

Not a hard choice.

UraMallas

$90 a month minimum for texting and 3GB of data with the AT&T/Lumia for 2 years, or $30 a month 100mins, unlimited texting and data with tmobile/Nexus 4.

And I'd have to pay a $150 deposit when I sign up for that 2 year contract because I have no credit.

Not a hard choice.

No, it doesn't sound like a hard choice.

I already pay that much for my phone so it's not a hard choice for me, either. The only thing that worries me now is if I can port my phone number over even though I'll be pre-ordering online tomorrow. I hope so.

clav

No, it doesn't sound like it.

I already pay that much for my phone so it's not a hard choice for me, either. The only thing that worries me now is if I can port my phone number over even though I'll be pre-ordering online tomorrow. I hope so.

Over a 24 month period, the Nexus 4 adds up to about $45/month with the 8GB version on the T-Mobile plan.

($300 + tax + 2 day air shipping)/24 months + $30/month (no tax)

----------------

Anyway, OP can use more detail. Nice title.

SeanR1221

Picking up one hopefully this weekend. I jumped from an iPhone when wp7 launched and wasn't happy so I switched back. WP8 looks to fix all the problems I had before.

Raistlin

Still mad about grey, but that entry price is making me reconsider an import or dev phone purchase.

Probably going to hit up AT&T tomorrow morning for my birthday.

UraMallas

Over a 24 month period, the Nexus 4 adds up to about $45/month with the 8GB version on the T-Mobile plan.

($300 + tax + 2 day air shipping)/24 months + $30/month (no tax)

What are you arguing? I'm agreeing with him. I was saying "no. it doesn't sound like a hard choice."

kharma45

They're pretty much the only site I'd say to avoid, the rest are fair enough game imo, even if you don't agree with their scores (like The Verge) they're at least well enough reviewed and don't look like I wrote the review when I was 8 years old.

cube444

I can listen to music with this at the gym and also substitute it as a 30 pound dumbbell when they're being used.

RivalCore

Intending to pick up an off contract one when I can figure out when the fuck Nokia plans to release this in Ireland.

Out of interest, could I buy a sim-free from Germany and run it in English?

kharma45

Intending to pick up an off contract one when I can figure out when the fuck Nokia plans to release this in Ireland.

Out of interest, could I buy a sim-free from Germany and run it in English?

Pretty sure you can, but this is me going by anecdotal evidence when there was a HotUKDeals thread for people importing the Optimus 7 from Amazon.de when the price from there worked out over £100 cheaper than buying it in the UK.

Milchjon

They're pretty much the only site I'd say to avoid, the rest are fair enough game imo, even if you don't agree with their scores (like The Verge) they're at least well enough reviewed and don't look like I wrote the review when I was 8 years old.

WMPoweruser at least knows about FB integration and e-mail copy/paste.

kharma45

fap fap fap.

White 920 is pure sex.

Wish there was a black tiles theme in WP though. Like this:
RPNEE.jpg

It's just high contrast mode iirc

DSC01254_eews.jpg

WMPoweruser at least knows about FB integration and e-mail copy/paste.

True they do know more about the platform, but I feel someone like WPCentral would be better if we wanted a WP focused site in the OP although I don't think their review is out yet, all they have is this

http://www.wpcentral.com/overview-and-review-windows-phone-8

Finlands last stand. Scary.

I really like how the phone looks, not sold on WP8 at all, but I really want to try one. That weight picture is really spot on.

kharma45

Finlands last stand. Scary.

I really like how the phone looks, not sold on WP8 at all, but I really want to try one.

I felt the same with WP7 when it first arrived, thought it wasn't for me at all but when I tried it on an HD7 for the first time I was blown again with how fluid and easy to use it was.

True it doesn't have every app most people will want but it's 80-90% there at this stage.

GCX

I really like WP UI so I've been considering getting one for a while. I don't really have money though..

f0rk

They done fucked up the UK launch, no way I'm going with EE when a Nexus 4 + GiffGaff is so cheap.

kharma45

They done fucked up the UK launch, no way I'm going with EE when a Nexus 4 + GiffGaff is so cheap.

That's exactly what I'm doing, I was so ready to splurge a big wad of cash on it until Nokia pulled that move, although the HTC 8X at £380 through O2 still appeals.

Top Bottom