• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future US ending PlayStation: The Official Magazine

The only reason I ever bought those magazines were the demos. But since they stopped including them (same mag, right?) I haven't even thought of looking at one.

Takao

Banned
Crazy times in the world of print.

I have to admit, when I was younger I used to read The Official PlayStation Magazine a lot, but once they made the unofficial one the official one I lost a lot of interest.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I actually have a subscription for this on my tablet. I wonder what'll happen with that. Technically they owe me some money now.

Johnas

It really is a wonder any print gaming magazine has held on this long.

I guess Game Informer will be the last to go with the whole Gamestop connection.

I don't begrudge any of them, to be clear. Seeing EGM go was tough.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Game Informer is only staying afloat thanks to it's tie-in with Gamestop. A magazine pretty much has to do something like that these days.

strafer

I'll miss you.

OmgNm.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Oh man, gaming magazines! Good memories. Amazing how far we have come. From growing up gaming in Australia in the 80's and 90's without acces to the Internet until the latter part of the 90's gaming magazines were the shit.

The only problem was they were 2-4 months behind (for some unknown reason. I guess they sent them by boat?)

TwIsTeD

he says as a ton of people are salivating over game informer's upcoming GTA issue in the next few days.

meh....magazines were awesome with demo discs and before the internet (Next Generation & EGM were amazing until about 1999)

I never even activated my digital sub to GI but thanks for reminding me I should...

i read and LOVE LOVE LOVE retro gamer magazine

Forgot about that...yea I endorse this since its not time sensitive

kswiston

I used to love these magazines during the earlier PS1 days when I couldn't afford a ton of games. Got as much gameplay out of some of those demos back then as I do out of full games today.

Takao

Banned
This actually wasn't the magazine that came with demo discs. That one was published by Ziff Davis and had the incredibly long winded "Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine" title. It ended in 2007, and Future's unofficial PSM became this magazine.

This actually wasn't the magazine that came with demo discs. That one was published by Ziff Davis and had the incredibly long winded "Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine" title. It ended in 2007, and Future's unofficial PSM became this magazine.

Yeah, this is actually the second time the Official PS Magazine has been shut down.

Yes! thats the mag I was thinking about! Their PS2 reveal and launch issues were the best :)

Korigama

I stopped subscribing to this magazine years ago when they switched from being PSM (and even then, they had declined significantly before the switch anyway).

Takao

Banned
As of the end of 2011 the circulation for Future's recently canceled magazines:

PlayStation: The Official Magazine - 139,000
Nintendo Power - 145,657

Future's other gaming mags:

Official Xbox Magazine - 230,000
PC Gamer - 120,000

US monthly circulation obviously.

awww... still remember their early covers were they had comic boo artists do the covers. good memories. they used to be pretty damn good and dare I say, unbiased.

Zeranium

awww... still remember their early covers were they had comic boo artists do the covers. good memories. they used to be pretty damn good and dare I say, unbiased.
I remember those.
453px-Psm_issue_021.jpg

I read PSM a lot during the PS1 era.
Then every once in a while during the PS2.... and then not much at all after then became "Official" and when Bill Donohue left.

Still, it sucks to see another mag bite the dust.

Eusis

Shame, I liked the earlier days of PSM. One of those times I'm most nostalgic for, and even though I know they weren't the most liked magazine I have a soft spot for them (probably because at that time I was also especially into anime and Japanese games... though in hindsight that probably pales compared to a lot of today's fans.)

I remember those.
453px-Psm_issue_021.jpg

I read PSM a lot during the PS1 era.
Then every once in a while during the PS2.... and then not much at all after then became "Official" and when Bill Donohue left.

Still, it sucks to see another mag bite the dust.
How much testosterone is Chun Li taking?

I used to buy these all the time for demo discs. Sad but I'm surprised its lasted this long.

I think all the kids in my area were trading demo discs more than actual games. I know I was doing that with friends for awhile.

I knew a ton of kids who would take the disc and throw away the magazine lol.

Mostly because of the Gamestop rewards program.

when i was younger i used to love the variety of magazines both domestic and foreign that used to be sold in gamestops, ebgames, etc. it was one of the few places i could buy hard to find gaming mags. fucking gamestop/game informer exclusivity. it doesn't even make sense considering they should be the experts/go to store for games, accessories, and supplements such as mags and guides.

Terrell

No surprise that platform-specific rags are dying so fast. Sony and Nintendo haven't exactly been giving them much to report on. DS/3DS coverage was easy to come by in the other publications, nothing was coming out for Wii, PS3 was mostly multiplats and then the Vita problem happened. Their existence became largely irrelevant.

Top Bottom