• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Drago
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:43 PM)
Drago's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

nice that the deluxe includes a real nintendo land case

enjoy all the fingerprints, though

;)

-base set master race

Yup. Basic white all the way

Fingerprints are too nasty and prevalent on glossy black Nintendo products. I'd have no problems if it was all matte, but alas...

That and my budget is quite small so I'd rather put my money towards NSMBU + 3rd party rather than DDP and NintendoLand (which I don't need day 1)
DavidDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(11-07-2012, 07:47 PM)
DavidDayton's Avatar

Originally Posted by TriGen

That's why I didn't buy any downloadable stuff on the Wii. I needed some security if my console went down. Nintendo has confirmed that your eShop stuff will be tied to your ID, so I know I won't lose everything now, that's the most important thing. Even if it's not exactly easy like the PS3, this gives some comfort.

When you say "confirmed that your eShop stuff will be tied to your ID", what do you mean, exactly? What has been said so far that ensures that losing your system means you won't lose everything now?

I ask as you seem to be making the assumption that purchases being "tied to your ID" means that you'll be able to redownload them on a new system without having to get Nintendo to do anything special. I'm just noting that we've yet to have any evidence that that is the case, and the lack of evidence suggests that nothing has changed with regards to Nintendo's policies on digital downloads being locked to the system, with a loss of hardware being a loss of software short of special Nintendo intervention.

Originally Posted by AndyMoogle

I don't see how that would help me if I lost my 3DS. I would have zero proof that I ever bought anything.

I does make it easier to view a record of your purchases, I grant you that. However, Nintendo would still have had access to your entire purchase record either way.
Linkhero1
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:50 PM)
Linkhero1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

nice that the deluxe includes a real nintendo land case

enjoy all the fingerprints, though

;)

-base set master race

I'll enjoy my 10% Digital Promotion, thank you very much.
AndyMoogle
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:50 PM)
AndyMoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by DavidDayton

I does make it easier to view a record of your purchases, I grant you that. However, Nintendo would still have had access to your entire purchase record either way.

Sure, but I would never be able to get it back, because I have nothing to prove that I ever purchased anything. If my 3DS gets stolen or I lose it somehow, then I'm fucked.
sakipon
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:51 PM)
sakipon's Avatar

Originally Posted by DavidDayton

That is such a stupid name. I can't believe that anyone at NOA made that decision... it's far more likely NCL decreed it as a universal name across all regions.

I think WaraWara Plaza is fine. Seems simple to pronounce in a great variety of languages. I have more issues with the name of the console.
The Boat
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:52 PM)
The Boat's Avatar

Originally Posted by elohel

what is this from? lol

this is a great gif

so the dragon quest 9 voucher is for the us also?

It's from a Portugese show, the dude is Rui Unas.
DavidDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(11-07-2012, 07:54 PM)
DavidDayton's Avatar

Originally Posted by AndyMoogle

Sure, but I would never be able to get it back, because I have nothing to prove that I ever purchased anything.

Er, wouldn't you have it covered with the warranty registration?

Heck, the original receipt should even have your system's serial number, which NOA could use to track against your purchases. Technically they should still be able to help you in such a situation!

(and yes, I agree that Nintendo -should- let do a lot more things with a Network account, but I am skeptical that they will as I think we'd have been given some hint of it by now.)

Originally Posted by sakipon

I think WaraWara Plaza is fine. Seems simple to pronounce in a great variety of languages. I have more issues with the name of the console.

Eh. I think it would have made far more sense to localize the plaza names with something that had SOME level of meaning. "Wara Wara" just sounds silly and has no inherent meaning in English.
TriGen
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:54 PM)
TriGen's Avatar

Originally Posted by DavidDayton

When you say "confirmed that your eShop stuff will be tied to your ID", what do you mean, exactly? What has been said so far that ensures that losing your system means you won't lose everything now?

I ask as you seem to be making the assumption that purchases being "tied to your ID" means that you'll be able to redownload them on a new system without having to get Nintendo to do anything special. I'm just noting that we've yet to have any evidence that that is the case, and the lack of evidence suggests that nothing has changed with regards to Nintendo's policies on digital downloads being locked to the system, with a loss of hardware being a loss of software short of special Nintendo intervention.


I does make it easier to view a record of your purchases, I grant you that. However, Nintendo would still have had access to your entire purchase record either way.

I don't think you'll just be able to download everything to another console, just like that. I just believe it is easier to prove you are who you say you are, so Nintendo will allow a transfer easier. I don't think Nintendo will do the multiple console thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if by this time next year they do implement a universal account with the 3DS and in doing so at least allow you the opportunity to "deactive" a Wii U. Never more than one console at a time though.
AndyMoogle
Member
(11-07-2012, 07:56 PM)
AndyMoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by DavidDayton

Er, wouldn't you have it covered with the warranty registration?

Heck, the original receipt should even have your system's serial number, which NOA could use to track against your purchases. Technically they should still be able to help you in such a situation!

(and yes, I agree that Nintendo -should- let do a lot more things with a Network account, but I am skeptical that they will as I think we'd have been given some hint of it by now.)

I live in Sweden; I'm fucked. Simple as that.

There are no serial numbers on my receipts for any of my hardware purchases.
DavidDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(11-07-2012, 07:58 PM)
DavidDayton's Avatar

Originally Posted by AndyMoogle

I live in Sweden
There is no serial number on my receipt for any of my hardware purchases.

Import unit? You are playing a risky game!

(How is NOE with stuff like this, anyway? I always hear horror stories about them.)
AndyMoogle
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:00 PM)
AndyMoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by DavidDayton

Import unit? You are playing a risky game!

(How is NOE with stuff like this, anyway? I always hear horror stories about them.)

No, it's not an import unit. Here in Sweden we don't get any serial number on our receipts. Also, it's not NoE who handles the distribution in Sweden (or any of the other Nordic countries), it's Bergsala and they are terrible.

EDIT: Correction: Only Gamestop has serial numbers on the receipts. Any other store doesn't. I guess they might have it if I contact the store where I bought it, but it's a bigger hassle than it should be.

The point is that an actual account bypasses all of this nonsense. Well, if they don't screw it up, which they probably will.

Obviously, the most preferred way would be if they handled all of this like MS do on Xbox 360. You can download whatever to any console, but you'll need to be online if it wasn't the console you purchased the item on. If you want to bypass that, then you can transfer all licenses to your new console. It's fast and efficient.
Last edited by AndyMoogle; 11-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.
d1rtn4p
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:08 PM)
d1rtn4p's Avatar
So...Absolutely nothing on accomplishments yet huh?
Hoodbury
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:10 PM)
Hoodbury's Avatar
He didn't really clear up the reporting feature or talk about mischievous users did he? Be nice to hear the final decision on that 4 tiered censorship system they referenced earlier.
DavidDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(11-07-2012, 08:10 PM)
DavidDayton's Avatar

Originally Posted by AndyMoogle

The point is that an actual account bypasses all of this nonsense. At most I should only have to contact Nintendo (or Bergsala in my case) and get my old system deactivated so that I can download all of my stuff on the new system.

Obviously, the most preferred way would be if they handled all of this like MS do on Xbox 360. You can download whatever to any console, but you'll need to be online if it wasn't the console you purchased the item on. If you want to bypass that, then you can transfer all licenses to your new console. It's fast and efficient.

See, while I agree that such a system SHOULD work like that, I must point out that an "account system" doesn't mean you'll be able to do what you are inferring you should be able to.

I mean, it makes sense, and it's logical based on other systems out there, but no branch of Nintendo has ever implied you WOULD be able to do that. Unless they actually confirm this can happen, I'm going to remain skeptical and assume we're getting nothing more than 3DS-style license transfer.
Brainiac 8
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:24 PM)
Brainiac 8's Avatar

Originally Posted by d1rtn4p

So...Absolutely nothing on accomplishments yet huh?

I hope they stay game specific so I can mostly ignore them.
Reluctant-Hero
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:28 PM)
Reluctant-Hero's Avatar

Originally Posted by d1rtn4p

So...Absolutely nothing on accomplishments yet huh?

Nintendo could pull a Sony and implement them down the road due to overwhelming consumer demand. Who knows...
HeySeuss
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:30 PM)
HeySeuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brainiac 8

I hope they stay game specific so I can mostly ignore them.

This is exactly the case. Nintendo doesn't require them but they support them. We've actually known this for quite some time(I'm not trying to be snarky).
Last edited by HeySeuss; 11-07-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
Kjellson
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:30 PM)
Kjellson's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anth0ny

nice that the deluxe includes a real nintendo land case

enjoy all the fingerprints, though

;)

-base set master race

Haha.

Master race?

Haha.
EVH
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:33 PM)
EVH's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brainiac 8

I hope they stay game specific so I can mostly ignore them.

Statements like this sound stupid to me. I mean, if you don't care and you want to ignore them, you will be able to do it no matter where they stay.
shadyspace
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:37 PM)
shadyspace's Avatar
Is there a chance ZombiU will be on the eShop?
TriGen
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:44 PM)
TriGen's Avatar

Originally Posted by shadyspace

Is there a chance ZombiU will be on the eShop?

Nintendo said any publisher that wants their game on the eShop can put it on there. As of now, only Tekken has outed itself as a digital game, along with all Nintendo stuff obviously. So, we'll see if anyone else chooses to be digital.
Drago
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:47 PM)
Drago's Avatar
Ubisoft does digital releases on PS3 and 360 right? I know AC3 was day 1 digital on PS3 at least. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same here, but who really knows
BriBri
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:47 PM)
BriBri's Avatar

Originally Posted by TriGen

Nintendo said any publisher that wants their game on the eShop can put it on there. As of now, only Tekken has outed itself as a digital game, along with all Nintendo stuff obviously. So, we'll see if anyone else chooses to be digital.

Wow Tekken? I was blown away by that video and am moving predominantly digital in new releases so great news!
TriGen
Member
(11-07-2012, 08:48 PM)
TriGen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drago

Ubisoft does digital releases on PS3 and 360 right? I know AC3 was day 1 digital on PS3 at least. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same here, but who really knows

Correct. Ubisoft isn't opposed to digital, but you never know.
?oe?oe
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:03 PM)
?oe?oe's Avatar

Originally Posted by EVH

Statements like this sound stupid to me. I mean, if you don't care and you want to ignore them, you will be able to do it no matter where they stay.

Except when they pop up on screen! Damn pop-ups!
gameongreggy
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:07 PM)
gameongreggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by deathcobra

Wow Tekken? I was blown away by that video and am moving predominantly digital in new releases so great news!

Guess you like to pay more money. DD releases rarely go down in price as opposed to box copies
Ridley327
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:11 PM)
Ridley327's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drago

Ubisoft does digital releases on PS3 and 360 right? I know AC3 was day 1 digital on PS3 at least. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same here, but who really knows

360 still doesn't have day 1 digital for any retail release (for reasons known only to them), but Ubisoft has been a big presence for retail downloads on the PS3. I'd be a little surprised if ZombiU wasn't up on day 1.
Alec2DaBreen
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:12 PM)
Alec2DaBreen's Avatar

Originally Posted by gameongreggy

Guess you like to pay more money. DD releases rarely go down in price as opposed to box copies

That's why you take advantage of deals on things like MS, PSN and Wii point cards and never use "real cash". I have been getting nearly 50% off of brand-new games for a while now by being a savvy shopper. Not to mention the 10% back promotion from Nintendo.

As far as Wii U goes, I will be buying physical copies of the games at launch but will only open them if the digital releases aren't up on Day 1. If they are up, I'll buy them digitally and then return the physical copies for a refund.
Last edited by Alec2DaBreen; 11-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.
BriBri
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:21 PM)
BriBri's Avatar

Originally Posted by gameongreggy

Guess you like to pay more money. DD releases rarely go down in price as opposed to box copies

Storage reasons (plus I hate optical media).
NathanMcMahon
Banned
(11-07-2012, 09:25 PM)
NathanMcMahon's Avatar
Came across this today at Target:

steveovig
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:25 PM)
steveovig's Avatar
The thing with accomplishments is that it's almost a necessity for Nintendo. There are a couple multi-platform games like Aliens that I want to buy on the U but if they have no achievements I will just go PS3 instead. That's one less sale and I know I can't be the only gamer who thinks like this out there. Nintendo should just make it required for all games.
RedSwirl
Junior Member
(11-07-2012, 09:29 PM)
RedSwirl's Avatar
So we still don't know what the store looks like or exactly how online gaming is handled?
AndyMoogle
Member
(11-07-2012, 09:29 PM)
AndyMoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ridley327

360 still doesn't have day 1 digital for any retail release (for reasons known only to them), but Ubisoft has been a big presence for retail downloads on the PS3. I'd be a little surprised if ZombiU wasn't up on day 1.

Yeah, MS have been really slow with Games on Demand. Even Nintendo put their own 3DS games up on eShop 12 AM on day 1.
Last edited by AndyMoogle; 11-07-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Alec2DaBreen
Member
(11-07-2012, 10:50 PM)
Alec2DaBreen's Avatar

Originally Posted by steveovig

The thing with accomplishments is that it's almost a necessity for Nintendo. There are a couple multi-platform games like Aliens that I want to buy on the U but if they have no achievements I will just go PS3 instead. That's one less sale and I know I can't be the only gamer who thinks like this out there. Nintendo should just make it required for all games.

I am the same way, you're not alone.
zroid
Member
(11-07-2012, 11:03 PM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by steveovig

The thing with accomplishments is that it's almost a necessity for Nintendo. There are a couple multi-platform games like Aliens that I want to buy on the U but if they have no achievements I will just go PS3 instead. That's one less sale and I know I can't be the only gamer who thinks like this out there. Nintendo should just make it required for all games.

I wonder though, on 360 and PS3, the achievement hunters always stuck to one platform anyway since they'd rather amass everything in one place. Would accomplishments really convince existing 360 or PS3 owners to make the switch? Especially since their cheevos will definitely travel with them to the next gen.

I'm glad I don't care about this stuff, it's too much dramarama.
Medalion
Banned
(11-08-2012, 01:43 AM)
Medalion's Avatar
Just watched the subtitled Nintendo Direct

God that was hilariously awkward towards the end watching Reggie being drawn on

Dryest unboxing of a Nintendo product EVAR!

But it's the Nintendo Difference yo
Pharros
Member
(11-08-2012, 02:01 AM)
Pharros's Avatar
Have there been any pictures of specific profiles to confirm that there are no accomplishments? I know it's up to the developer but even so, they could be tied to your console. I thought Nintendo would have implemented this after seeing them show up primitively on the 3ds but I'm saddened that it doesn't seem to be the case here. Such a simple thing to have :(.
AndyMoogle
Member
(11-08-2012, 03:23 AM)
AndyMoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pharros

Have there been any pictures of specific profiles to confirm that there are no accomplishments? I know it's up to the developer but even so, they could be tied to your console. I thought Nintendo would have implemented this after seeing them show up primitively on the 3ds but I'm saddened that it doesn't seem to be the case here. Such a simple thing to have :(.

I think it was confirmed that you can check which games people have played, so perhaps accomplishments will be like Steam achievements. If a game has accomplishments, then maybe you can check exactly which ones the player has gotten.
Pharros
Member
(11-08-2012, 03:26 AM)
Pharros's Avatar

Originally Posted by AndyMoogle

I think it was confirmed that you can check which games people have played, so perhaps accomplishments will be like Steam achievements. If a game has accomplishments, then maybe you can check exactly which ones the player has gotten.

I'd be quite happy with that. As I was saying in the Miiverse thread, it's surprising how much we still actually have not seen. Overall it's looking good but I expect that we won't get the absolute full picture until day 1.
Seik
Member
(11-08-2012, 06:47 AM)
Seik's Avatar
Just watched the unboxing.

My body is ready.

EDIT: That Iwata/Reggie video chat was so fucking stiff. XD
Last edited by Seik; 11-08-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Wrestlemania
Member
(11-08-2012, 07:07 AM)
Wrestlemania's Avatar

Originally Posted by steveovig

The thing with accomplishments is that it's almost a necessity for Nintendo. There are a couple multi-platform games like Aliens that I want to buy on the U but if they have no achievements I will just go PS3 instead. That's one less sale and I know I can't be the only gamer who thinks like this out there. Nintendo should just make it required for all games.

They'll be in there, there just isn't likely to be a unified system for achievements which tracks them across all of your games. You have Miiverse for your e-peen boosting needs.
Peagles
Member
(11-08-2012, 07:23 AM)
Peagles's Avatar
I love the name Warawara! I was going to be disappointed if Japan kept it for themselves.

*runs away*
AzaK
Member
(11-08-2012, 08:12 AM)
AzaK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Peagles

I love the name Warawara! I was going to be disappointed if Japan kept it for themselves.

*runs away*

And never come back. :P
Alextended
Banned
(11-08-2012, 08:18 AM)
Alextended's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poyunch

And in instances of damaged/lost hardware.

Damaged hardware isn't the same case as lost since it can go through Nintendo repair/replacement and keep your stuff.

At least while they still offer that service of course.
Peagles
Member
(11-08-2012, 08:23 AM)
Peagles's Avatar

Originally Posted by AzaK

And never come back. :P

*Creeps around corner*

Warawara!

*runs again*

It's just so fun to say!
CrisKre
Member
(11-08-2012, 09:15 AM)
CrisKre's Avatar

Originally Posted by AndyMoogle

Sure, but I would never be able to get it back, because I have nothing to prove that I ever purchased anything. If my 3DS gets stolen or I lose it somehow, then I'm fucked.

That is not true. They stole my 3ds and by calling the customer service, and with the credit card info I got everything back, including my ambassador status.
The Mana Legend
Banned
(11-08-2012, 11:48 PM)
The Mana Legend's Avatar
Does anyone know if regular Wii games go onto the Activity Log similar to how DS games still go on the 3DS Activity Log?
Keyouta
Member
(11-09-2012, 01:30 AM)
Keyouta's Avatar
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, I didn't see anything, but we have at least one image of the Wii U's eShop:

zroid
Member
(11-09-2012, 01:33 AM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keyouta

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, I didn't see anything, but we have at least one image of the Wii U's eShop:

ooooh, nice!
Pharros
Member
(11-09-2012, 01:34 AM)
Pharros's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keyouta

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, I didn't see anything, but we have at least one image of the Wii U's eShop:

Now, if they show us some Gamecube games on there, they can have all my money.

Thread Tools