• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Edits Wind Waker so 3-Year Old Daughter Doesn't Feel 2nd Class

vareon

She shouldn't be watching it either.

There's parts at the beginning that would scare most three year olds.

She's three.

Not that I have a daughter, but wouldn't it be OK if the father can explain to her along the way? It's not like she 100% sure to grow the wrong way if she watched the scary part of Wind Waker.

For fuck's sake. Give her some Metroid games.

Seems overreactive. Especially considering she's 3 and probably hasn't questioned any of it yet. I can associate with any character regardless of gender or race. I dunno why people get so pressed about it.

Corollary: I would play and enjoy a Zelda game with a female Link. I really just don't care.

Kinda this. I would think it far more beneficial to teach that heroism is something that stretches beyond gender boundaries, rather than argue over "equal share."

kinda weird to go to such lengths, should have just given her a first person game. but why are the parents forcing their kid to waste away playing videogames? bad parenting all around

I'm surprised there's so much criticism here. LOL you guys.

I think the world needs to change before this will help his little girl feel more empowered
every woman being treated badly today use to be 3 years old once in a way this guy is kinda putting up a rose-glass window in front of his little girl's eyes. An Illusion. I think it would be best for her to know the truth about the world she is growing in and be prepared to fight for her rights as a human being.

stick to bedtime stories right now, I don't see anything amazing about lying to your child.

JordanN

Banned
Of course. There need to be more 'strong' female leads in games, if only for some dame variety. MMOs are popular with women, because they can play as females. Not to over generalise, but men are main characters cause men prefer it, women are not being catered to. Would the next cod or what nots be as big as they are if you played as a female? When people have a choice they generally pick their own gender to play as. Why's the white male the standard? Because he is the main consumer and target audience.
Well that's a different subject. I was only defending/refuting a point where having a quota on "games with "x" amount of gender" is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

DonMigs85

Female Links rule

linkladiesra4.jpg

Choc

Banned
kinda weird to go to such lengths, should have just given her a first person game. but why are the parents forcing their kid to waste away playing videogames? bad parenting all around

she isnt fucking playing video games, she is bonding with her father whilst HE plays video games. She might be super interested in the game and he changed it to be what he wants her to be thinking.

So he might have just been playing and noticed she was watching it all the time.

its like reading a fucking book to her, but different.

consoul

Well I think this is great. It's a really nice thing for a dad to do for his daughter. And it's extremely geeky, which appeals to me. Sure, it's not the solution to all gender issues, but it's not trying to be. It's one guy, changing one game for one girl.

I approve. Good dad. +1

Not that I have a daughter, but wouldn't it be OK if the father can explain to her along the way? It's not like she 100% sure to grow the wrong way if she watched the scary part of Wind Waker.

Yes...he totally could but you don't get to decide what a child tucks away in their brain.

My daughter routinely amazes/devastates me over what she remembers and busts out a month or three months or a year later.

There's plenty of time to expose your children to things like that. I actually thought about letting my daughter watch me play Wind Waker.

It's charming and cute right? It's a cartoon right?

I got back into it and played the first three hours to run a quick audit. There's things in there that a small child doesn't need to be exposed to.

It's not even about causing "damage" to the kid.

There's about a thousand better things to be doing with his toddler than having her watch him play Wind Waker.

disap.ed

what if he is reading it to her

for fuck sake the amount of hate in this thread is stupid.

No hate here, I just don't get why someone would do this?
I understand his reasoning why he wants to change it, but not the modification.
I mean I am also changing for example the name in a fairy to the one of my daughter when I read it for her, but I don't rewrite the whole book because of it.

Lime

That's actually really great. As the promoted reader comment states, "there are almost no female superheroes sutible for a small girl, and of the few there are, there is NO merchandise for. Unless she wants to be a princess there aren't many videogame options for a young girl either."

I.e.

As a male, for the longest time I never but much consideration into these things. When I had my first child, for a while we thought it was going to be a girl (Turned out to be a boy). During that time I started looking at my hobbies and ways to encorperate a girl into them and found how much is overlooked for young girls.

There are almost no female superheroes sutible for a small girl, and of the few there are, there is NO merchandise for. Unless she wants to be a princess there aren't many videogame options for a young girl either.

This is one of those things that once I've seen, I can't unsee it. I notice this gap in almost everything my son gets interested in, and it really bothers me. We own dozens of little superhero squad/ DC universe playschool figures and the only woman I can even find to buy is Catwoman.

I'm glad this Dad found a way to tilt the scale a little.

VashTS

It's a shame that zelda and link never get intimate at all in windwaker.

Then this father would have to explain how/why 2 girls can love eachother.

etiolate

Banned
It's odd how strongly people feel gender matters in identifying a character or another person as a hero to themselves. We probably wouldn't change anthropomorphic characters into humans to better the game for our kids, but we might change their gender for the same purpose.

Of course, Sonic fans don't apply to this.

SmithnCo

...I do not get it. There are plenty of other games/movies/books with female leads he could show her, no need to alter an existing one.

she isnt fucking playing video games, she is bonding with her father whilst HE plays video games. She might be super interested in the game and he changed it to be what he wants her to be thinking.

So he might have just been playing and noticed she was watching it all the time.

its like reading a fucking book to her, but different.

sorry, I didn't know that watching some dude playing videogames was a bonding experience

Still seems like a lot of trouble for something her daughter probably dont care about at this age, especially if she can't read or anything. I mean, there is no voice acting there.

If he cares that much, give her that Princess Peach game on the DS or something.

that would defeat the purpose as it would be more difficult to actually play with the child. Harder to teach child to read if they cant clearly see text. My family did this with animal crossing for wii with my little sister. Really helped her reading and taught her some valuable lessons. And because animal crossing avoids putting gender in a lot of the text it was good.

jaxword

This is a fine feel-good story.

A good father will do good things for his kids. Even if they're not fully aware of the meaning, it's still the right thing for him to do.

Zips

Good intentions. Questionable impact (which is normal for these sorts of things) - especially given that Link's character model is a boy's and makes boy-ish sounds.

Not really sure why people are criticizing this so much. There really aren't many games with heroines as the main playable character, especially when you're looking for something suitable for a 3-year old, and eliminate the buxom, scantily-clad, or other poor things put into place to appeal to male fantasies.

Young children are -incredibly- impressionable. We learn how to speak by years of sitting around as a baby watching and listening to those around us. Gender stereotypes are often imprinted from birth as well, with people dressing up baby girls in pink dresses and giving them barbie dolls or whatever vs. blue shirts/pants and action figures for boys.

What this father is doing is a drop in the bucket of a world that will constantly be pushing gender biases on his daughter, but it's a nice thought of him to try to give her a female hero.

I think this is rather cute, although I do find it a bit odd that somebody conscious/worried enough about gender issues to hex-edit a game in this manner would be letting his daughter play a game that drags out the damsel in distress trope out in the first place.

Personally I don't have a problem with the Zelda series having a male protagonist or anything, I just find his logic a bit strange.

sorry, I didn't know that watching some dude playing videogames was a bonding experience

It is, kids will naturally take an interest and I have no problem with it.

Three year olds will happily play games like wheres my water or physics based puzzlers like cover orange and the like. It only makes sense they would want to play dad games as well.

But I'm sorry, unless your three year old is pulling you up and saying "Dad that isn't what the text says, fucking read it right" this is all going way too far.

The heart is in the right place, but personally I feel the time and energy would be better spent in another direction. Still not like I don't waste time on all sorts of shit.

Veezy

que?
Some parents try way too fucking hard.

Yeah, fuck him, right?!

Piece of shit, trying to bond with his daughter while, at the same time, personalizing the experience so his daughter can imagine being a hero.

That tryhard. Pretending that kids like to imagine and stuff. Stupid.

It is, kids will naturally take an interest and I have no problem with it.

Three year olds will happily play games like wheres my water or physics based puzzlers like cover orange and the like. It only makes sense they would want to play dad games as well.

But I'm sorry, unless your three year old is pulling you up and saying "Dad that isn't what the text says, fucking read it right" this is all going way too far.

The heart is in the right place, but personally I feel the time and energy would be better spent in another direction. Still not like I don't waste time on all sorts of shit.

Going way too far?

What? How is it to far that he took the time to make sure he could personalize the experience for his daughter?

Yeah, fuck him, right?!

Piece of shit, trying to bond with his daughter while, at the same time, personalizing the experience so his daughter can imagine being a hero.

That tryhard. Pretending that kids like to imagine and stuff. Stupid.

Overreaction of the thread right here.

etiolate

Banned
Although - aren't a lot of the characters in children's entertainment anthropomorphized specifically so that it's easier for kids to identify with them?

It does seem to help attract kids. I think it allows kids stories to talk about certain things in an approachable manner if the characters are human-like in emotion, but non-human and not as threatening or as near the reality. Of course, I am not sure you really get that sort of thing being done in videogames. Anthropomorphic character in gaming seems to just be a product of seeing its use in other child products and recognizing it as marketable.

Top Bottom