• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct - Today! Right Now! [cvxfreak summary Post #85]

Nickovic

So nintendo updated a new direct? 8 minutes ago?

http://www.youtube.com/user/nintendodirectch

A big thanks to cvxfreak!

Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.
- Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings
- Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.
- Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.
- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
- One USB drive at a time only.
- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
- You can use general drives.
- In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.
- Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.
- No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)
- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives
- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
- You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
- At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.
- SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode
- Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."
- There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only
- Point service
- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service
- After logging in, you can see the points you have earned
- Buy with download card or download number
- Earn 10% back on purchases
- Earn back purchase points in ¥500 increments
- Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's about data storage, ie USB management.

rouken

paging cheesemeister

also:

33298.JPG

neoanarch

Transcribe audio to captions> translate into english> "we are living in the future"

not a very good one but close enough.

WhyMe6

Yes! The Wii U eShop's Virtual Console *will* work on GamePad! Just not Wii VC games, right? That's what he said?

Neifirst

Yes! The Wii U eShop's Virtual Console *will* work on GamePad! Just not Wii VC games, right? That's what he said?

That makes sense, considering that they previously spoke about using the original Super Mario Bros. as the testbed for the gamepad latency.

Toki767

I like how instead of using CG graphs, he has a person actually pouring different colored pebbles or whatever into a cylinder lol

cvxfreak

Watching now:

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.
- Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings

Kazerei

Banned
8GB is actually 7.2GB
32GB is actually 29GB

I like how Iwata actually took the time to explain it.

Edit: FUUUUU
Edit2: also love the colored beads demonstration :lol

cvxfreak

- Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.
- Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

Pineconn

It looks like you have to use an external hard drive with a separate power source. I can't understand Japanese, so I'm going by the big red exclamation point that appeared when the hard drive was connected to the Wii U without separate power, lol. Dual USB will work; single USB is not guaranteed to work.

Same with jump drives. Probably won't work.

I have no idea.

neoanarch

Basic only has 3gb useable space. Why even have a 8gb option.

For those of you begging for cheese. Use the transcribe audio then translate to english. Its not that bad and you can follow along pretty ok.

cvxfreak

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
- NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.

Roo

- So.. apparently you can transfer your games (save data/downloaded) to a bigger HDD when your older one runs out of space (?)

freddy

Banned
Even Nintendo is sick of the 3 or 4 pages of train hype and body-is-ready pics that begin every Nintendo Direct thread.

Kazerei

Banned

What do the pink beads represent? The really tall column.

cvxfreak

USB Media

- Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
- One USB drive at a time only.
- Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
- You can use general drives.
- In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.
- Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.
- No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)
- Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives
- In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
- You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
- At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.
- SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

cloudyy

It looks like you have to use an external hard drive with a separate power source. I can't understand Japanese, so I'm going by the big red exclamation point that appeared when the hard drive was connected to the Wii U without separate power, lol.

I have no idea.
It could work depending on what brand/model you use. He's saying they'll put a list of what works and what doesn't. Basically it's the same with homebrew on the wii, not every usb-powered hdd or flash-drive works.

It looks like you have to use an external hard drive with a separate power source. I can't understand Japanese, so I'm going by the big red exclamation point that appeared when the hard drive was connected to the Wii U without separate power, lol.

I have no idea.

Looks you can use them but these usb powered hard drives need to use Y cables for extra power.

Rootbeer

Banned
hopefully those usb 2 WD mypassport drives work fine. i have several of those. they are very common. It's a single-corded device

Top Bottom