• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ShockingAlberto
Member
(11-14-2012, 11:47 PM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar
Monster Hunter was a big deal because of what it took away from Sony.

Not that it has any sort of negative, or even stand-still, effect for Nintendo, but if Sony had Monster Hunter and Nintendo still had Nintendo games, it would have been a closer race with still the same winners.
Four_Chamber
Member
(11-14-2012, 11:49 PM)
Four_Chamber's Avatar
Vita on life support. I love looking back at the old threads where people proclaimed that the 3DS was DOA because of the Vita pricing. Another reminder that the sales projections of people here are horrible.
jeremy1456
Member
(11-14-2012, 11:50 PM)
jeremy1456's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Monster Hunter was a big deal because of what it took away from Sony.

Not that it has any sort of negative, or even stand-still, effect for Nintendo, but if Sony had Monster Hunter and Nintendo still had Nintendo games, it would have been a closer race with still the same winners.

I really don't think it would be that much closer, but with the third party support that would come with MH the Vita would probably be doing at least 10k a week now.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(11-14-2012, 11:51 PM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Monster Hunter was a big deal because of what it took away from Sony.

Not that it has any sort of negative, or even stand-still, effect for Nintendo, but if Sony had Monster Hunter and Nintendo still had Nintendo games, it would have been a closer race with still the same winners.

Without MH Nintendo also loses some of the tag along games...at least in theory as a bunch of them seem to be in Vita's lineup!

The real fun future argument has to be where the smaller JRPG developers go after the PS3 is finished. It's probably not going to be the Vita like it was with the PSP, which rebuilt itself as the market for some of those games after the PS2 finally died. They might not consider the 3DS either with it likely being fairly crowded by then.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(11-14-2012, 11:53 PM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man God

Without MH Nintendo also loses some of the tag along games...at least in theory as a bunch of them seem to be in Vita's lineup!

The real fun future argument has to be where the smaller JRPG developers go after the PS3 is finished. It's probably not going to be the Vita like it was with the PSP, which rebuilt itself as the market for some of those games after the PS2 finally died. They might not consider the 3DS either with it likely being fairly crowded by then.

There's always the possibility that they just go nowhere.
Celine
Member
(11-14-2012, 11:56 PM)
Celine's Avatar

Originally Posted by jeremy1456

It made slightly more sense, but it was still pretty obvious that the PSP stood very little chance of overtaking the DS.

Not in the first year or so.
Then Nintendo buried Sony.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(11-14-2012, 11:56 PM)
marc^o^'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Heavy

A tablet isn't a new device for consumers, the magic trick that everyone wants to see is not there this time around; it's just a tablet, one that can't even be taken out of the house.

Modojo:
there are plenty of naysayers, critics who think tablets have already pushed their way into homes, and will therefore have a negative impact on the Wii U, to which we'd like to counter with:

Why can't it be the exact opposite?
Perhaps it is the Wii U gamepad that poses the biggest threat to tablets, and not the other way around. Web browsing? Check. Netflix? Check. Downloadable games? Check. Most importantly, Nintendo's new gadget lets you play console quality titles away from the TV, at an estimated range of 25-26 feet, which ultimately means it's possible to get your gaming fix in bed, at the dinner table and on the toilet. [...]

Modojo:
consumers will have to ask themselves whether they want Skylanders Lost Islands on IOS, or Skylanders Giants on Wii U. Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies on the tablet, or Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on Wii U. Mass Effect Infiltrator for iOS and Android, or Mass Effect 3 Wii U. Even for us, the decision to go with Wii U on all three is very clear.

With this in mind, don't expect everyone to continue enjoying their tablets once Wii U arrives November 18. Instead, the iPad and Kindle Fire HD may wind up collecting dust.

I always said people already equiped with tablets are the most likely to be attracted by Wii U. So I completely disagree with you. I think Modojo is right on the money, once GamePad lands in my house, my iPad will collect dust. Real games, GAF and miiverse conversations will take care of that. And with TVii around the corner...
Chris1964
Sales-Age Genius
(11-14-2012, 11:58 PM)
New releases

{2012.11.22}

[3DS] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥5.990)
[3DS] Ouchi Mainichi Tamagotchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Dangerous Ji-San to 1000-nin no Otomodachi Yokoshima <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari 2 <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (Sega the Best) <ACT> (Sega) (¥2.940)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita Starter Pack <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥29.980)

[PSP] PSP Value Pack Red / Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥14.800)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random [Love and Youth Pentagon Box] <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.980)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)
[PSP] FairlyLife MiracleDays (Best Version) <ADV> (Piacci) (¥3.129)
[PSP] Eternal Etude: Canvas 4 (Best Version) <ADV> (GN Software) (¥3.129)

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Classic White 250GB <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥24.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Classic White <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Charcoal Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PS3] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Chaos;Head: Love Chu Chu! <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥12.600)
[PS3] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu [Deluxe Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥9.240)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ADV> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Killzone 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Infamous 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] SSX (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥3.129)

[360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[360] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)


{2012.11.23}

[3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥4.800)
Demoli
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:00 AM)
Demoli's Avatar
So new Vita colours the week with the AC cooldon and a new pokemon game?.

Oh boy.
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Chris1964

New releases

{2012.11.22}

[3DS] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥5.990)
[3DS] Ouchi Mainichi Tamagotchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Dangerous Ji-San to 1000-nin no Otomodachi Yokoshima <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Pika Pika Nurse Monogatari 2 <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (Sega the Best) <ACT> (Sega) (¥2.940)

[PSV] PlayStation Vita Starter Pack <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥29.980)

[PSP] PSP Value Pack Red / Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥14.800)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Kokoro Connect: Yochi Random [Love and Youth Pentagon Box] <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥8.980)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Wand of Fortune 2 FD: Kimi ni Sasageru Epilogue - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)
[PSP] FairlyLife MiracleDays (Best Version) <ADV> (Piacci) (¥3.129)
[PSP] Eternal Etude: Canvas 4 (Best Version) <ADV> (GN Software) (¥3.129)

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Classic White 250GB <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥24.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Classic White <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Charcoal Black <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥25.980)
[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PS3] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Chaos;Head: Love Chu Chu! <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Chaos;Head Noah: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥12.600)
[PS3] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Taiheiyou no Arashi: Senkan Yamato, Akatsuki ni Shutsugekisu [Deluxe Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥9.240)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ADV> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Killzone 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] Infamous 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥2.800)
[PS3] SSX (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥3.129)

[360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥7.980)
[360] Doom 3: BFG Edition <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥3.800)


{2012.11.23}

[3DS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥4.800)

Should be another big week for 3ds, how much do mystery dungeon games usually do first week?
jeremy1456
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:03 AM)
jeremy1456's Avatar

Originally Posted by Celine

Not in the first year or so.
Then Nintendo buried Sony.

This is crazy talk.

All Nintendo had to do was push out a genuine new Pokemon and it would have been done. At the time the PSP had absolutely nothing that catered to the handheld market specifically, let alone something on the same scale as Pokemon.

After launch Sony paid so little attention to the PSP it was pretty darn clear it wasn't going to be able to compete.
orioto
Good Art™
(11-15-2012, 12:11 AM)
orioto's Avatar
There are really guys who think the PS4 could actually b a success in Japan ?...
There are pretty obvious, just in front of your nose elements that pretty much kill that possibility...

And to begin with. Look at the PS3 success since it was released. More and more, Japanese reject expensive new technology, and only want the affordable console where they have the game they love... Even 3DS was a worrying failure to Nintendo before a price cut and MASSIVE killer ap arrival.

In that context, seeing how long the small PS3 success needed to exist, how in hell would a 400$ high tech console, with basically, the same offer as PS3 in term of software (same type of game, same ips..), would perform better ??

Even the WiiU is far from being a certain hit in Japan, in the current situation, and despite it has ALL the best cards in its hat.

If PS4 is what it should theorically be, it's doomed (meaning the logical expansion of the PS3). It would have to be incredibly surprising and affordable to have a chance.
Erethian
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:17 AM)

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Should be another big week for 3ds, how much do mystery dungeon games usually do first week?

The last main one (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness) did 583k first week, according to Famitsu numbers.
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Erethian

The last main one (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness) did 583k first week, according to Famitsu numbers.

So we could maybe be looking at another half million 3ds debut
The Hermit
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:21 AM)
The Hermit's Avatar

Originally Posted by UncleSporky

I said wow.
xxbrothawizxx63
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:25 AM)
xxbrothawizxx63's Avatar
Very interested to see how EX Troopers performs, if anything for the sake of its localization...
slaughterking
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:30 AM)
slaughterking's Avatar

Originally Posted by xxbrothawizxx63

Very interested to see how EX Troopers performs, if anything for the sake of its localization...

I'm mostly interested to see which version sells the most.
1-D_FTW
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:34 AM)
1-D_FTW's Avatar

Originally Posted by Four_Chamber

Vita on life support. I love looking back at the old threads where people proclaimed that the 3DS was DOA because of the Vita pricing. Another reminder that the sales projections of people here are horrible.

That's why I started the Wii U USA availability poll. I want as many votes as possible to give some clue as to how gaf thinks. Because I think we kind of glam onto the memorable quotes and then say gaf was completely wrong (no matter what the outcome is).

This way if people have revisionist history about what "gaf" was saying about Wii U (at least in the US), it's one thread to be able to link back to and show where the majority of expectations were.
Green Slime
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:34 AM)
Green Slime's Avatar

Originally Posted by slaughterking

I'm mostly interested to see which version sells the most.

It has to be the 3DS version, right?
Kouriozan
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:36 AM)
Kouriozan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Green Slime

It has to be the 3DS version, right?

Considering that PS3 and 3DS LTD are pretty close, it'll be interesting indeed.
Green Slime
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:41 AM)
Green Slime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kouriozan

Considering that PS3 and 3DS LTD are pretty close, it'll be interesting indeed.

That's irrelevant, IMO, given how handheld-centric Japan is.
slaughterking
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:42 AM)
slaughterking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Green Slime

It has to be the 3DS version, right?

Maybe yes or maybe no? Both versions seem pretty viable for different reasons. I originally thought it would be a game that anyone would want to play on a console, but I'm not so sure anymore. The 3DS version also got a better score in Famitsu FWIW.
Moor-Angol
Member
(11-15-2012, 12:44 AM)
Moor-Angol's Avatar

Originally Posted by slaughterking

I'm mostly interested to see which version sells the most.

the one which will appear into Famitsu chart (if at least one of them is able to do that...)
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(11-15-2012, 02:00 AM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oersted

Nice find. Some random quotes:

"How ___ will eat __'s face" is a parody of a ridiculous article IGN posted comparing Dark Souls to Skyrim. Not a real post.

That said, you could probably find some post from the past where I said I thought Vita would outsell 3DS in Japan. That was before the price cut, and under the assumption that key third party support had yet to be unveiled, rather than simply not existing. I changed my tune considerably after that the MHTriG announcement. Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.
Magicpaint
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:08 AM)
Magicpaint's Avatar
Doesn't the 3DS version of Ex Troopers lack online play? That might work against it since I doubt this game will sell any significant amounts...sadly.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(11-15-2012, 02:09 AM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

"How ___ will eat __'s face" is a parody of a ridiculous article IGN posted comparing Dark Souls to Skyrim. Not a real post.

That said, you could probably find some post from the past where I said I thought Vita would outsell 3DS in Japan. That was before the price cut, and under the assumption that key third party support had yet to be unveiled, rather than simply not existing. I changed my tune considerably after that the MHTriG announcement. Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.

It was also before the Medaroton.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(11-15-2012, 02:12 AM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man God

It was also before the Medaroton.

Err, Medabots for 3DS was announced like before Vita was.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(11-15-2012, 02:13 AM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

Err, Medabots for 3DS was announced like before Vita was.

Doomed from the beginning then.
CronoShot
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:15 AM)
CronoShot's Avatar

Originally Posted by slaughterking

I'm mostly interested to see which version sells the most.

I personally would bet on the PS3 version. Just seems like more of a console type game to me.

Although I think it'll be fairly close.
Magicpaint
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:16 AM)
Magicpaint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.

Honestly very few did. It'd be a shame if the system died out just based on the merits of the hardware, but at the same time when Sony is so lackadaisical about the system, well...it's really their own doing.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(11-15-2012, 02:16 AM)
Takao's Avatar
Medabots games being on Nintendo hardware is SHOCKING NEWS territory. There's only ever been 2 releases not on Nintendo platforms, and one was a port to Wonderswan, and the other a spinoff for PS1. They're games that were made to piggyback off the success of Pokemon, so it makes sense to release them on the platforms Pokemon would be on.
Heavy
Banned
(11-15-2012, 02:18 AM)
Heavy's Avatar

Originally Posted by marc^o^

I always said people already equiped with tablets are the most likely to be attracted by Wii U. So I completely disagree with you. I think Modojo is right on the money, once GamePad lands in my house, my iPad will collect dust. Real games, GAF and miiverse conversations will take care of that. And with TVii around the corner...

You can't even take it out of the house, dude. To say that tablets should be worried about Wii U's game pad is ridiculous.
Boney
Sucking and blowing™
(11-15-2012, 02:19 AM)
Boney's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man God

Doomed from the beginning then.

lol
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Heavy

You can't even take it out of the house, dude. To say that tablets should be worried about Wii U's game pad is ridiculous.

Apparently many many tablets never leave the house anyway
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(11-15-2012, 02:20 AM)
AniHawk's Avatar
i haven't read through the entire thread, but i will assume this is basically the 'the vita is dead' |ot| now.
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:21 AM)

Originally Posted by AniHawk

i haven't read through the entire thread, but i will assume this is basically the 'the vita is dead' |ot| now.

Same as every week
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(11-15-2012, 02:23 AM)
Man God's Avatar
Honestly the success of the Wii U growing the business out like the Wii did is going to come down to how well they market it.

Instead of the feel good story of senior citizens and non gamers playing Wii like crazy because of bowling it's going to come down to how well they get the whole tv remote/off tv play thing down. Parents have wanted something like this forever, uninterested boyfriends/girlfriends too. Being able to pause the game and move it somewhere else but still close and pick it up again would be really neat.
Heavy
Banned
(11-15-2012, 02:24 AM)
Heavy's Avatar

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Apparently many many tablets never leave the house anyway

I see plenty outside and in class. You can also actually run countless real non-gaming/movie programs & apps on a tablet. They're not comparable.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(11-15-2012, 02:26 AM)
Takao's Avatar
Good thing for Sony's engineers is that with Sony Mobile moving development to Japan they no longer are going to be boned by the software side not holding their end of the bargain.
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Heavy

I see plenty outside and in class. You can also actually run countless real non-gaming/movie programs & apps on a tablet. They're not comparable.

Seeing plenty outside doesn't contradict what I said also the vast majority of tablet use is playing games, browsing the web and watching movies, all things that can be done on the gamepad
OccamsBlender
Banned
(11-15-2012, 02:32 AM)
OccamsBlender's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sammy Samusu

Animal Crossing + Bravely Default + Monster Hunter <3

Phoenix Wright 5 and Layton vs Phoenix Wright is around the corner.
I bought my 3DS for those and Bravely.

And this copy of Etrian Odyssey 4 sitting on my shelf.
Culex
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:33 AM)
For the 3DS to match last year, it has some fairly high numbers to hit. The next 7 weeks should be interesting.

2011:
103,962 - Nov 7 - Nov 13
96,219
120,920
205,962
350,321
367,691
482,200
197,952 - Dec 26 - Jan 1
SpaceDrake
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:34 AM)
SpaceDrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by jj984jj

Why has that completely disappeared when it's obviously still there? Is it gone for you just because Vita doesn't have the support to show the difference enough?

Interesting question, actually. I guess it's the fact that the system's presentation and software has felt (and, shallow as it sounds, looked) like something I'd expect to play on my set-top boxes. The proper, smooth dual sticks, Dat OLED, the much better speakers - for the first time in two decades of using handhelds, I don't feel like I'm getting an inferior experience with the Vita compared to, say, my PS3. RagOdyssey, Retro City, Dokuro - these are all titles I'd normally prefer to play on a set-top, and yet the Vita is so impressive and enjoyable to use that I don't feel like the handheld experience is markedly inferior. Even for the DS, outside of a few titles I could never say that.

Let me put it this way: the one thing I am cursing about my Vita is the lack of the sort of TV-Out capability that the latter-model PSPs had, as on some level I'd kill to see these games on a TV. I'd like to use my Vita as a console I hold in my hand rather than a "handheld"; that's significant, I think.


But it's all irrelevant, because for most people the software isn't there and they already own a PSP and are happy with it and thus see no reason to purchase a Vita. It kills me but the Vita is going to join the likes of the Dreamcast in Awesome But Failed Hardware Valhalla. There is no foreseeable way out of the death spiral, at present.
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Culex

For the 3DS to match last year, it has some fairly high numbers to hit. The next 7 weeks should be interesting.

2011:
103,962 - Nov 7 - Nov 13
96,219
120,920
205,962
350,321
367,691
482,200
197,952 - Dec 26 - Jan 1

Well next week should beat last year easily, combination of AC second week and Mario XL should easily do it, week after has a good shot with mystery dungeon, then after that we'll just have to see
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(11-15-2012, 02:46 AM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrex

First couple pages are incredible.


Do half of these posters even have a Vita? Lol.

Wsippel and shuelma being the lone voices of reason:


Here's mine from page 6:

Originally Posted by Plinko

I'm worried that with the low price Sony is going to try and make up the difference with the cost of the proprietary memory and the games.

$50 games will kill this system fast.

Plinkstradamus!

Seriously, though, at least they didn't go for $50 games.
Heavy
Banned
(11-15-2012, 02:47 AM)
Heavy's Avatar

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Seeing plenty outside doesn't contradict what I said also the vast majority of tablet use is playing games, browsing the web and watching movies, all things that can be done on the gamepad

...a gamepad with an ugly design (compared to real tablets), a huge size, a weak screen, low resolution, and resistive touch. They aren't comparable. I just can't agree that tablets have something to worry about.
Evolution_1ne
Banned
(11-15-2012, 02:50 AM)

Originally Posted by orioto

There are really guys who think the PS4 could actually b a success in Japan ?...
There are pretty obvious, just in front of your nose elements that pretty much kill that possibility...

And to begin with. Look at the PS3 success since it was released. More and more, Japanese reject expensive new technology, and only want the affordable console where they have the game they love... Even 3DS was a worrying failure to Nintendo before a price cut and MASSIVE killer ap arrival.

In that context, seeing how long the small PS3 success needed to exist, how in hell would a 400$ high tech console, with basically, the same offer as PS3 in term of software (same type of game, same ips..), would perform better ??

Even the WiiU is far from being a certain hit in Japan, in the current situation, and despite it has ALL the best cards in its hat.

If PS4 is what it should theorically be, it's doomed (meaning the logical expansion of the PS3). It would have to be incredibly surprising and affordable to have a chance.

*saved for later use*
frankie_baby
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Heavy

...a gamepad with an ugly design (compared to real tablets), a huge size, a weak screen, low resolution, and resistive touch. They aren't comparable. I just can't agree that tablets have something to worry about.

I'm not suggesting tablets have anything to worry about or not, just saying you shouldn't be so dismissive,

Oh and higher PPI than iPad mini and resistive touch has many advantages
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(11-15-2012, 02:55 AM)
OldJadedGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

"How ___ will eat __'s face" is a parody of a ridiculous article IGN posted comparing Dark Souls to Skyrim. Not a real post.

That said, you could probably find some post from the past where I said I thought Vita would outsell 3DS in Japan. That was before the price cut, and under the assumption that key third party support had yet to be unveiled, rather than simply not existing. I changed my tune considerably after that the MHTriG announcement. Never did I anticipate Vita doing as poorly as it is though. It's a shame, but ultimately there's nothing I can do about it.

You should never assume third party support until the games are actually shown. Case in point, the new COD game for Vita that everyone held up so high in those threads then got a 3/10 in reviews from places like Game Informer. This goes for any system.
Erethian
Member
(11-15-2012, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Magicpaint

Doesn't the 3DS version of Ex Troopers lack online play? That might work against it since I doubt this game will sell any significant amounts...sadly.

No, just local co-op. Which is more a important sales factor in Japan than online, honestly. If we were talking about a western release it'd be a different story.

Thread Tools