• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spin the Bottle Wii U

Hey guys, new details!

- spin a virtual wheel on the Wii U GamePad to determine a challenge
- Blind Dog requires you to sit down and stand a Wiimote up behind yourself
- then you order a blindfolded partner to crawl forth and retrieve the controller without knocking it over
- 17 mini-games
- Grab the Rooster involves four Wiimotes that are placed on a surface
- players huddle around to see which one emits a rooster cluck
- this can be played with a four vs four split
- one team is supposed to hit the "A" button as soon as a rooster sound comes out of the Wiimote speaker
- the other team sits facing you and is supposed to hit the "1" button upon hearing the same sound.
- sometimes there are chicken calls, which are false alarms
- Saw has partners push and pull their Wiimotes in unison as if cutting through a tree while the controllers' vibration provides feedback on how in step you are
- this offers a bonus challenge of having you and your teammate sing a lumberjack song
- one minigame lets you guide a rocket (via GamePad) to collect stars and avoid bombs in a 2D wraparound arcade game
- the rocket is controlled by a partner holding the Wiimote to their chest
- as they bend forward, the rocket pivots down; as they lean back, the ship pulls up
- the partner is facing you, so they're flying blind
- you must communicate what you need them to do
- Picking Flowers makes players retrieve Wiimotes without moving their feet
- Pass the Badger involves two players with their backs to each other passing a Wiimote from a player's chest over their heads then under their legs without jostling it too much
- you want the Wiimote to arrive back at its starting point under a certain amount of time
- this also has a bonus challenge: sing Happy Birthday
- Hide the Monkey involves two chosen participants that must hide a Wiimote behind one of their backs while the other players try to guess who has the metaphorical monkey
- bonus challenge allows the audience to tickle the Wiimote holder

Wj0aY81.jpg

wildfire

Banned
The challenges they are thinking of are inventive but I hope most of these games are of the type that actually require the tech involved.

I'm not a fan of Blind Dog or Picking Flowers because of that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Previews make it sound like a crazy good party game. I'm so getting this, we may have it before Game & Wario and it could be even better
(I need pictionary though).

CaVaYeRo

Million seller right there?

It was at iDÉAME too. Here's some 'gameplay', in which two 'Wii U girls' show two mini-games: one is the "blind dog" one, in which you have to carefully pick the Wiimote up based on your colleague's instructions, and the other one is Trolley-shake-a-ton:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...Wii+U%27+ense%F1an+a+jugar+a+Spin+the+Bottle/

We also have an interview-gameplay demo coming up. Felt dizzy after the drilling mini-game...

The Giant Bomb quick look should either be the greatest production the site has ever done or something that will need to be sealed in a vault to prevent the corruption of the masses.

CaVaYeRo

Game's been submitted to NoA for approval. We just put our video interview / demo with the devs live.

They say they hope it works as a family game and also for teenagers flirting, etc "If you want to make it like a weird naked drinking game, do it". Also, some nice comments on no-TV games thanks to the Wii U.

Edit: also, game's subtitle is Bumpie's Party.

Dunno how long it's been up, but there's now a press sheet.

Features

Play while the TV is turned off! Use only the Wii U™ GamePad and Wii Remotes.
Gameplay that makes the players look at each other.
Über cute graphics.
Crispy music by Swedish musician/hacker Nicklas Ström.
Innocent game for innocent kids.

(What did they think was relevant about mentioning that the musician is also a hacker?)

((And lol at "innocent game for innocent kids."))

Game's been submitted to NoA for approval. We just put our video interview / demo with the devs live.

They say they hope it works as a family game and also for teenagers flirting, etc "If you want to make it like a weird naked drinking game, do it". Also, some nice comments on no-TV games thanks to the Wii U.

Edit: also, game's subtitle is Bumpie's Party.

(What did they think was relevant about mentioning that the musician is also a hacker?)

Yes. YES! Party in the USA!

party_in_the_usa_miley_cyrus_gif_by_nyaakemichan-d4o0xjb.gif

10.png

Oersted

Tbh, it would be pretty awesome if they are serious about that "Gameplay that makes the players look at each other."- part. We need more videogames which are doing this.

Jachaos

So this is coming out soon huh. Apparently it's been submitted to NOA for approval and should probably come out in June.

GRW810

Apparently the developers are going with a unique pricing structure, whereby the game will cost little at launch, then gradually rise as DLC is added over time. By downloading early you get all future updates free.

I won't be getting the game but that pricing approach is quite clever.

Read more here

Jachaos

Apparently the developers are going with a unique pricing structure, whereby the game will cost little at launch, then gradually rise as DLC is added over time. By downloading early you get all future updates free.

I won't be getting the game but that pricing approach is quite clever.

Read more here

Hmm, I wonder how much it's going to be at first and how much they expect to be able to charge for it after all of the updates are out. It's supposed to be out soon too (in June).

And I still don't know what the gameplay looks like.

Check here

And I still don't know what the gameplay looks like.

There are a few videos of it in the thread and linked through the devs YT page.

The game is played with the TV off, the Gamepad pairs people together and gives them a task to do using wiimotes and various poses, sounds, etc...

If you look a few posts above, you'd see an example that I'll quote below. It really does look like an awesome party game. Something that people would be into that's not "videogamey"

Amatsu

Neo Member
This explains why Bosman was getting hugged yesterday in his Final Bosman E3 vid.

I wondered what the hell was going on during that part, hadn't heard of this game. That trailer in OP tells us absolutely nothing, though - confusing, to say the least.

Lol RadioActiveLobster beat me to it.

DBPlayer

Banned
This is pretty freaky, but is this a Nintendo published game? Why are people bashing Nintendo over this? Is this a first party title?

Hermii

This explains why Bosman was getting hugged yesterday in his Final Bosman E3 vid.

I wondered what the hell was going on during that part, hadn't heard of this game. That trailer in OP tells us absolutely nothing, though - confusing, to say the least.

Lol RadioActiveLobster beat me to it.
this quote from the guy in the video is all you need to know about the game. "It is a game for children or drunk people"

Jachaos

So in the latest Nintendo Direct it seems this game should come out in August. Apparently the devs weren't sure of the release date because the QA at Nintendo for this game is kind of unconventional. You don't test this game the way you test others and so the release was delayed a bit. Still, with the info this will be cheaper at the start and this interesting interview on Gamasutra it looks like it'll be quite something.

Gamasutra: How did you come up with these colorful, silly characters?

Simon Gustafsson: Well. I had a short deadline to come up with a concept for these. So I was like: Damnit. If I'm going to "extend myself" I might as well try to come up with something weird. I imagined I could keep them simple, suggestive, and still hold their own personality wise by giving them unique features with animations and key objects. The main inspiration was phallic in nature. I tried to get some butt in there as well for good measure. As Lau said, it's a balance between what actually is seen and what I'd like people to read into it.

Gamasutra: So how does something phallic in nature get such family-friendly ESRB and PEGI ratings?

Lau: I asked for something cute but suggestive and what I got back from Simon was these hillarious... sausages. The rating boards have some very specific things they are looking for, like human nudity. If you make something weird enough, it slips through.

Simon: Well, you asked for "characters" to be honest. You got dicks. For me it was the obvious choice.

Top Bottom