• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Eusis
(11-18-2012, 09:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Durante

What "other half"? From the quote in the OP, that's it. 4 * 4Gbit = 2 GB.

What we don't know yet is how fast the eDRAM is.

... either I am confused or the majority of people in this thread are. Wii U does not have split memory pools, except for the eDRAM.

Ah, should've figured that, looked at the tl;dr version without even trying to put it together in my head.

Well, I kind of expect having MORE can, when used appropriately, balance out being a bit slower, but it will almost certainly not be much help against the next Xbox/PS.
default two

Originally Posted by madmackem

But it isnt due to costs.

nope it's like 40 bucks in newegg. pop it right in the console for everyone
Seance
Banned

Originally Posted by StoppedInTracks

They would if the game had not change. But it has. It's not about the tech now, it's about how little money will you lose on the tech.

You don't honestly believe that do you? MS and Sony are gonna go hard with $399+ beasts selling at below cost.
Brad Grenz
(11-18-2012, 09:23 AM)

What "other half"? From the quote in the OP, that's it. 4 * 4Gbit = 2 GB.

What we don't know yet is how fast the eDRAM is.

... either I am confused or the majority of people in this thread are. Wii U does not have split memory pools, except for the eDRAM.

I don't think he mean literally half in terms of capacity, like those in the speculation thread who thought there would be physically separate memory buses for games (GDDR5) and the OS (DDR3). I think he's just saying the main memory bus is only half the story when you consider the embedded memory's contribution to the overall design.
antonz
(11-18-2012, 09:23 AM)

Originally Posted by wsippel

SDDR3. Third character is a W.

Yes but what confuses me is their actual listings for the model are not placed in the DDR3 category but the GDDR category.
Horse Armour
(11-18-2012, 09:24 AM)
Durante is right, OP amended. Wii U uses 2GB of DDR3 at a max speed of 17GB/s. Ignore what was previously posted, will get a mod to change the title.
TheGreatDivide
Banned
(11-18-2012, 09:25 AM)
I thought it had 2gb of RAM?

E: derp
Sid
(11-18-2012, 09:25 AM)
WTF? 2 GB DDR3, i was expecting 1GB GDDR3+1 GB DDR3.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(11-18-2012, 09:26 AM)
interesting, because i thought nintendo was big into having fast parts in their console even if they weren't the most powerful. kind of harkening back to the n64 and the supposed reason of choosing carts over discs due to load times.
Last edited by AniHawk; 11-18-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Doc Holliday
(11-18-2012, 09:26 AM)
Weird seeing nintendo use "regular" ram.
AlStrong
(11-18-2012, 09:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Error Macro

it is "gDDR3," note the lower case 'g' -- I'm not sure what that means.

Originally Posted by NBtoaster

It's listed under gDDR3, there's a seperate category for GDDR3. What's the difference?

It just means it's DDR3 for graphics board integration (i.e. 1:1 tracing from DRAM to processor) rather than DIMMs. There are PC graphics cards that use DDR3, which would actually be considered "gDDR3", but hey... there's the naming confusion and all.

"GDDR3" is a separate technology altogether.
Last edited by AlStrong; 11-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Horse Armour

Originally Posted by AniHawk

interesting, because i though nintendo was big into having fast parts in their console even if they weren't the most powerful. kind of harkening back to the n64 and the supposed reason of choosing carts over discs due to load times.

Let's hope they haven't cheapened out on their eDRAM and that it's more flexible than the type in the 360.
SSM25
How is this being sold at a loss?
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, so this DOES include the video RAM?
Teletraan1
fuck those devs
cuz I'm down for my devs
How many neweggs/s is this ram?
Sid
(11-18-2012, 09:29 AM)

Originally Posted by SSM25

The controller,i guess.
Horse Armour

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Yes it does. The only thing not included is eDRAM.
Perkel
Banned

Originally Posted by madmackem

But whats being talked about is the system ram is it not not video ram?.

wasn't there information that there is no vram in system ? 2GB is shared memory between games and system.

If this is true i don't see anything different for second 1GB.
Chiggs
Oh that my words were now spoken!
Oh that they were printed in a book!
Holy shit, this system is so gimped it's not even funny. I'm stunned.
Ydahs

interesting, because i though nintendo was big into having fast parts in their console even if they weren't the most powerful. kind of harkening back to the n64 and the supposed reason of choosing carts over discs due to load times.

The setup's also important but yeah, odd choice of RAM.
Durante
A Deadly Premonition hit his Dark Soul like a bolt of Lightning: "I can make their games better."
(11-18-2012, 09:30 AM)

Yes, except for the eDRAM (which is pretty important to graphics processing).

Originally Posted by Teletraan1

It's less than €10 when you buy it as a consumer :P
Matt
(11-18-2012, 09:31 AM)

Originally Posted by antonz

Yes but what confuses me is their actual listings for the model are not placed in the DDR3 category but the GDDR category.

Forget what I said, didn't notice the lower case "g". Weird.
Oblivion
So what effect does RAM speed have exactly? Faster texture loading?
Instro

interesting, because i thought nintendo was big into having fast parts in their console even if they weren't the most powerful. kind of harkening back to the n64 and the supposed reason of choosing carts over discs due to load times.

We'll have to see what they are doing with the edram, as this is a fairly different choice for them as far as RAM is concerned.
TheGuardian
The eDRAM will only be large enough to store the render buffers (frame buffer, some textures, vertex buffers, etc), 99% of the game will be on this slow as hell main memory.
Like many people said already, the difference to whatever Sony and Microsoft put into their new consoles will be brutal.
ZoddGutts
(11-18-2012, 09:33 AM)

Originally Posted by SSM25

Gamepad I suppose.
cyberheater
PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 XBOX PS4 PS4
(11-18-2012, 09:34 AM)
If this is correct. And the rumours on the CPU speed are also correct. Basically the only thing saving WiiU is the GPU.

The Xbox360 and PS3 out performs it otherwise.
iammeiam
(11-18-2012, 09:35 AM)
This is very discouraging. I thought you could always count on Nntendo for fast memory, even if they weren't spec obsessing.
default two
Damn, the newegg argument didn't pop off. heh
Durante
A Deadly Premonition hit his Dark Soul like a bolt of Lightning: "I can make their games better."

First of all, there are 2 separate metrics of interest for memory (well, there are even more, but these are the most important): bandwidth and latency. Both of those impact a huge variety of algorithms and general things a CPU or GPU might do. Generally, bandwidth mostly affects the speed of streaming computations (like those you might find on a GPU or n a CPU using SIMD), while latency mostly affects code that traverses data structures in memory (e.g. lists or trees) -- which is a lot of what any program does. Basically, almost everything is affected to some degree by memory speed.
Chiggs
Come on, folks...acting as if eDRAM is going to be the savior of this system is a little absurd. The memory is gimped. Utterly gimped.

I can't believe what a mess this is.
Oblivion

Originally Posted by cyberheater

If this is correct. And the rumours on the CPU speed are also correct. Basically the only thing saving WiiU is the GPU.

Well, the RAM amount at least is more than the PS360, so there's that.
joshwaan
(11-18-2012, 09:36 AM)
Have to say this Nintendo been shopping at newegg seen those DDR3 prices :P
Doc Holliday
(11-18-2012, 09:36 AM)

I thought the 360 used gdddr3 ram aswell? Why are people saying its ddr3? On the samsung page it says it's GDDdr3 not ddr3.
wsippel
(11-18-2012, 09:37 AM)

Nope. Textures don't require much bandwidth. Regular setups need fast RAM for shit like render targets, but those should be stored in eDRAM on Wii U as far as we know, so I don't think the bandwidth will be an issue. If developers use it correctly that is.
Perkel
Banned

How much data can be used by game for example textures and how fast can it display.

For example Gta4 without mods on high with 1600x900 resolution takes more than 1GB of Vram.

What this mean is that Wii U can't play GTA4 on very high settings and games like Crysis2 on high is also out of question.
Durante

Is there anything new and concrete about that? (just woke up)
thuway
(11-18-2012, 09:38 AM)

Why did Nintendo cheap out so much :(?
Darryl
(11-18-2012, 09:38 AM)
I'm running out of fuel to fight the 6 year old tech argument
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(11-18-2012, 09:39 AM)
So the Wii U has more RAM, but slower RAM than current gen systems.
Chiggs
I think it's almost impossible to call the Wii U more powerful than the 360 or PS3. Clearly it's worse in a major category. Is this even happening? Lol

I'm starting to get that flop feeling.
ZoddGutts

Originally Posted by Teletraan1

For one 2GB memory stick can be bought for 10 bucks for a DDR3 1066 speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8PC3%208500%29
Sid

Originally Posted by shinra-bansho

So the Wii U has more RAM, but slower RAM than current gen systems.

Yup.
Last edited by Sid; 11-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Canis lupus
Seen the Durante post and then got disappointed. :(
EDarkness

Originally Posted by thuway

Why did Nintendo cheap out so much :(?

That pad isn't cheap. Hopefully by their next system they'll go all out with hardware since the tech behind the pad should be cheap enough to allow for more wiggle room somewhere else.
Durante

Originally Posted by Darryl

I'm running out of fuel to fight the 6 year old tech argument

This time around it's really not 6 year old tech. Just very low-end somewhat recent tech.
Darryl
(11-18-2012, 09:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Chiggs

I think it's almost impossible to call the Wii U more powerful than the 360 or PS3. Clearly it's worse in a major category. Is this even happening? Lol

Now you calm down, we still have no idea what is going on with the GPU.
joshwaan
(11-18-2012, 09:40 AM)

Originally Posted by ZoddGutts

For one 2GB memory stick can be bought for 10 bucks for a DDR3 1066 speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...8PC3%208500%29

I know it's different size and what not on the motherboard in a console, but lol damn they must have seen the Newegg prices haha :P

Muskin in that link 10 bucks 7,7,7,21, what timings would the Samsung memory in Wii U have?
Chiggs
(11-18-2012, 09:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Darryl

Now you calm down, we still have no idea what is going on with the GPU.

I guess so. Still going to enjoy Mario Bros in HD.
Oblivion
(11-18-2012, 09:41 AM)

First of all, there are 2 separate metrics of interest for memory (well, there are even more, but these are the most important): bandwidth and latency. Both of those impact a huge variety of algorithms and general things a CPU or GPU might do. Generally, bandwidth mostly affects the speed of streaming computations (like those you might find on a GPU or n a CPU using SIMD), while latency mostly affects code that traverses data structures in memory (e.g. lists or trees) -- which is a lot of what any program does. Basically, almost everything is affected to some degree by memory speed.

Originally Posted by wsippel

Nope. Textures don't require much bandwidth. Regular setups need fast RAM for shit like render targets, but those should be stored in eDRAM on Wii U as far as we know, so I don't think the bandwidth will be an issue. If developers use it correctly that is.

Originally Posted by Perkel

How much data can be used by game for example textures and how fast can it display.

For example Gta4 without mods on high with 1600x900 resolution takes more than 1GB of Vram.

What this mean is that Wii U can't play GTA4 on very high settings and games like Crysis2 on high is also out of question.

Ah, thanks.