• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Mandoric
(11-19-2012, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Cyrano

Due to the way in which digital images are presented when you take pictures of them, it's hard to know for certain what that data intends. What is most interesting about the debug menu picture is that all the metadata is intact (http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.ph...0d66b0e.671938). This isn't super difficult to fake, but it's often one of the first things that's looked over when doing something like Photoshopping, since when one is intentionally trying to deceive using images, the image is often reconstructed to look authentic, and minor details (like metadata) are often missed. The fact that the metadata is fairly exhaustive is a good indicator that the images are not fake. Upload an image that was created via Photoshop or originated as a piece of art on the web and you'll see. Metadata is of course just the first step, but it's often the easiest to discern actual photos from creations. The two images you linked actually show examples of this, where the second image shows a compressed, modified image and the first is unmodified (though in this case, due to the refraction of light, I would still likely say both images are authentic, the second is simply resized). The grid impression of the images implies that both images were likely initially saved (or compressed as) JPEG images.

Algorithmically it appears as a photo of digital objects, which will appear as digital even in a photograph, due to how computer screens make-up image compositions. Once again, the other reality is that even opening an image in Photoshop does make modifications to it (as it has an image conversion process the same as any image editing program, same as GIMP and other image editors). If you've ever opened an image that looks fine in Photoshop but wrong in a program like GIMP, this is why. There can be any number of reasons for this, from compression levels to gzip functionality. Saving an image using any of these programs will modify the way the image looks, it's a simple reality of image compression, especially if you save the image as a JPEG and not a PNG, TGA, or BMP.

That's a whole lot of tl;dr to overlook the "display shop/mockup fullscreen, take a phone pic" method.
Gravijah
(11-19-2012, 06:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Andrex

There was a rumor a loooooonng time ago that Good-Feel was doing a console Yoshi game I think.

Good-Feel? thanks for ruining my night.
evanmisha
(11-19-2012, 06:53 AM)
Anyone else remember SPORTS PACK for REVOLUTION? Nintendo left derpy shit like that floating around in the ether this entire generation.

That and Soul Hacker's inclusion make me think this list isn't just something the Hatena guys whipped up.

Are these all games that will eventually see release? I doubt it. 'resident evils' is probably just some Capcom guys testing out an RE6 build, for example. 'suicide' could be a tech demo, or maybe a remote bricking app... There's really no way to tell.
Cyrano
(11-19-2012, 06:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Mandoric

That's a whole lot of tl;dr to overlook the "display shop/mockup fullscreen, take a phone pic" method.

Doesn't account for that wave on the screen in the first pic, which is indicative of TV scanlines.

I'm not sure what kind of screen the touchpad has, so it's hard to say if it's real or not, but from the analyzed pics it doesn't look as real as the first pic. Doesn't mean that it's not though. Shopped images tend to have pretty obvious indicators. Again, metadata being an obvious one (of which neither of these indicate anything glaringly obvious, other than that the second is compressed).
soxinthebox
(11-19-2012, 06:59 AM)
nvm didn't realise it was on the pad
hemo memo
(11-19-2012, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake

For those of you just joining us...

We are ALL going to jail.

But before we do, our story allegedly began when our hapless OP, Trike, pressed the "X" button on his WiiU controller while highlighting the "Close" option the online service MiiVerse. This brought up strange options, and seemingly otherwise inaccessible discussions and message boards, some for games that hadn't even been announced.

GAF was quite doubtful of this claim, but Trike continued to provide updates, alleging that someone on the boards stated that some big announcements for the WiiU would be made on December 10. Trike even provided photographic evidence of his accidental "hacking".

While some were still doubtful if Trike was telling the absolute truth, it certainly seemed as if something had occurred. Unfortunately, the OP claimed Nintendo fixed the exploit and he could no longer access his secret options. Also, he claimed that he had been told to cease his actions by a certain someone.

With sites such as Kotaku reporting the incident, still nobody seems exactly sure what transpired.

Was this all a hoax? Were the games listed just random placeholders, or perhaps an accumulation of frequently talked about titles? Did Trike really uncover games Nintendo had been keeping secret? Will Nintendo fire someone's ass? Only time will tell.

Sorry if I didn't get it quite right. This is a big damn thread.

Episode 1
Zissou
(11-19-2012, 07:06 AM)
Damn. I guess time will tell how accurate this info is. Nintendo really hasn't got their shit together security-wise if this is indeed not a hoax.
jonno394
(11-19-2012, 07:10 AM)
December 10th Nintendo Direct will be moved forward/back now to disprove all this.
Riggs
Banned
(11-19-2012, 07:12 AM)
Holy shit just seeing this thread .... god damn OP.
PetriP-TNT
(11-19-2012, 07:12 AM)
Holy moley at the OP.
Thunder Monkey
(11-19-2012, 07:17 AM)
Reading that first page is like "I'm not going to fuck with the Ninja's publicly." I mean... their method of assassination is lawsuit.

Also... BWUAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHAA!

Nintendo.
Shining
(11-19-2012, 08:19 AM)
This thread! I was lying in bed getting ready to sleep when OP was just about to post some proof. "Just a couple of more minutes" i thought to myself. Yeah, right! My gf got quite annoyed the third time i woke her up with my hysterical laughter. Dat Reggie gif <3
Mandoric
(11-19-2012, 08:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Cyrano

Doesn't account for that wave on the screen in the first pic, which is indicative of TV scanlines.

I'm not sure what kind of screen the touchpad has, so it's hard to say if it's real or not, but from the analyzed pics it doesn't look as real as the first pic. Doesn't mean that it's not though. Shopped images tend to have pretty obvious indicators. Again, metadata being an obvious one (of which neither of these indicate anything glaringly obvious, other than that the second is compressed).

I'm sorry, is it impossible now to plug a computer into a TV, or for that matter just view an image in the Wii U browser?
the TMO
(11-19-2012, 08:35 AM)
Bad Luck Brianintendo
Patrick Bateman
(11-19-2012, 08:37 AM)
This thread is why I love GAF.
Ventron
(11-19-2012, 09:15 AM)
I can't believe I almost missed this thread.
SmokyDave
His head smashed in and his heart cut out and his liver removed and his bowels unplugged and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...
(11-19-2012, 09:19 AM)

You, sir, deserve some sort of Knighthood.
AzaK
(11-19-2012, 09:21 AM)
This is all just Nintendo misdirection to get our mnds off of the terrible launch.
elostyle
Never forget! I'm Dumb!
(11-19-2012, 09:24 AM)
Since Miiverse is apparently web based (html5 I am guessing), it's entirely conceivable that they could have patched it out without an update (even in client side code). The items listed in the debug test menu are also very much in line with such technology (JavaScript console, etc).

Now since that would mean that the wii u is actually downloading java script sources, things could eventually get really interesting from a home brew perspective.
ChaosXVI
(11-19-2012, 09:26 AM)
This is...this is fucking insane! How could this happen!? I expected Nintendo to have to growing pains adjusting to a big online network, but not this...

Still, this is quite possibly the largest Nintendo leak/error in its history, the ninjas will descend upon GAF for this.

...on a side-note, Yoshi's Island Wii U was rumored to be what Retro was working on for awhile, perhaps there was some truth to that after all...
Izick
(11-19-2012, 09:28 AM)
A well deserved tag. What a fantastic thread.
Ninja Dom
(11-19-2012, 09:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Izick

A well deserved tag. What a fantastic thread.

Definitely. Trike earned his tag well!
Strife91
(11-19-2012, 09:30 AM)
I wonder if I ever will become a legendary member like Trike.
NintendoGal
(11-19-2012, 09:31 AM)
From what I understand, this wasn't unexpected from certain parties.
cooljeanius
(11-19-2012, 09:32 AM)

Originally Posted by NintendoGal

...go on...
Canis lupus
(11-19-2012, 09:32 AM)
Mastermind of the miiverse!
Ydahs
(11-19-2012, 09:40 AM)
Haha, that's easily one of the best tags on GAF given the context. The thread title is also amazing.

To those saying you're not going to update your WiiU now: the Miiiverse is all server-side. You're basically just loading a web page so it's already been patched on their end.

You'd think Nintendo would have a deployment checklist with "DISABLE TEST MODE" written in size 24 Comic Sans, highlighted in red, right at the top of the list. Apparently not.
DICKS AHOY
(11-19-2012, 09:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Strife91

I wonder if I ever will become a legendary member like Trike.

Just spend a few hours similarly dicking around on the Miiverse menu and then come back to us when you've suddenly been granted administrator access to Nintendo of Japan's servers.

Also came home to this thread earlier, easily made my night. Hope for the best since I'll likely get the system sometime next year but damn this is a rougher launch than I was expecting.
ASIS
(11-19-2012, 09:54 AM)
So is this legit? Is it really possible that we are getting Yoshi's Island on the Wii U?
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(11-19-2012, 09:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Lunar15

Honestly, it just looks like thread titles. Especially since some of them are weird like "Resident Evils".

It sounds like something Capcom would do to me.

PezDispenser
I will not rest until
every fetus is destroyed
(11-19-2012, 10:09 AM)

God bless you and this brilliant post.
Kouriozan
(11-19-2012, 10:14 AM)
Yoshi?!
What the hell is going on?
*still reading*
Last edited by Kouriozan; 11-19-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Cosmonaut X
(11-19-2012, 10:15 AM)

Can't leave this one hanging - can you spill here (or by PM)?
BlueSteel
(11-19-2012, 10:16 AM)

what?! You must tell us (or just me hohoho) more.
AkimbO_Arcana
(11-19-2012, 10:29 AM)
Holy! Why did I go to sleep last night? What a (MiiVerse)-meltdown O_O
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(11-19-2012, 10:36 AM)
Nice to see Trike got a tag after all. This thread was worth the lack of sleep even if it did cause half of Gaming Side to go loco.
Jackano
(11-19-2012, 10:54 AM)
Entertaining thread just right off the bed!
Only time will tell for the games.

But Trike, don't worry too much, Nintendo probably knows that's THEIR fault at first, and probably won't return against you. This will be a very bad move of their own in term of communication toward their fans.
massoluk
(11-19-2012, 11:31 AM)
Haha, well deserved Tag, Trike.
sonikokaruto
Posting on the wrong forum
(11-19-2012, 11:37 AM)
who-s that explaining dude? HE'S NOT MORGAN FREEMAN!
Jamie OD
(11-19-2012, 11:39 AM)
Trike, you're now a legend round these parts. Don't ever forget that.
Jay Sosa
(11-19-2012, 11:41 AM)
And this is why I love GAF. Wow, just wow. Good job trike! I will send you some money to help post your bail ;D

and thanks for the summary Mandrake!
sakipon
(11-19-2012, 11:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Jackano

But Trike, don't worry too much, Nintendo probably knows that's THEIR fault at first, and probably won't return against you. This will be a very bad move of their own in term of communication toward their fans.

If the 'hacking' was as easy as pressing a button on the controller then yes, they know it's their fault. It'd be embarassing for them to take serious action on it.
dc89
(11-19-2012, 11:49 AM)
Incredible thread. Such a lax job on the security by Nintendo. It was as simple as a button push whilst hovering over an icon?!
Good Job Bob
(11-19-2012, 11:52 AM)
Suicide?
NSQuote
(11-19-2012, 11:53 AM)
Thank you, Mandrake, you always deliver. <3
polyh3dron
Banned
(11-19-2012, 11:57 AM)
You know it's a good thread if Mandrake drops in to summarize.
MagiusNecros
Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
(11-19-2012, 12:02 PM)
It seems even FF Reunion is confuzzled.

http://www.ff-reunion.net/ff/2012/11...more_ff3_wii_u
Backfoggen
(11-19-2012, 12:04 PM)
What the hell.
strafer
Banned
(11-19-2012, 12:04 PM)
Yes, you got your tag, nice.