• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Eusis
Member
(11-19-2012, 11:09 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by defferoo

yup, resident evil 4 runs at 360p on GC and Wii, which is why it looks so blurry... would've been nice if capcom upped the resolution for the Wii version given the additional processing power, but maybe it wasn't enough

It's hard to tell whether it wasn't enough or Capcom simply didn't care, neither would surprise me to be honest. Sometimes you need HUGE jumps to maintain performance at higher resolutions (Even if this isn't a huge jump), but we did have crap like Capcom not accounting for different controllers with button prompts. Or I needed to start a game with the GC controller and ignore the Wii Remote entirely, but still.
TheD
The Detective
(11-19-2012, 11:09 AM)
TheD's Avatar

Originally Posted by radioheadrule83

It's sufficient as a summary of what happens, but he's right in that there are different algorithms that greatly affect the quality of the stretched image. If the Wii U's scaler is better than your TVs scaler, then it can in fact make games look better on that TV than they otherwise would. Colour / image quality improvement is possible due to not going through a DAC too (as on Component)


But he is not right in attacking MThanded, upscailing can not make an image look better than the input, best it can do is make it look the same but with more pixels.
radioheadrule83
Banned
(11-19-2012, 11:24 AM)
radioheadrule83's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheD

But he is not right in attacking MThanded, upscailing can not make an image look better than the input, best it can do is make it look the same but with more pixels.

Sorry, didn't see the prior back and forth
Bill Rizer
Member
(11-19-2012, 11:41 AM)
Bill Rizer's Avatar
PS2 games upscaled by PS3 could be amazing, too bad it introduced severe lag in the process, but that could be the product of interlaced/progressive conversion more than of upscaling itself.
A pure digital signal (hdmi) from source to display like it happens on WiiU will produce a way better picture than a signal that goes from digital to analog sampling (component) and than to digital reconversion again to be displayed. That's a fact.
So the questions are:
- How much does it lag?
- Is the underscan undefeatable? Even if this could be that in 1080p, the tvs of the users that reported the thing simply default in exact scan 1:1 mapping (which is the case for standard non-underscanning games), and so this issue can be avoided adjusting the overscan setting.
TUROK
Banned
(11-19-2012, 12:21 PM)
TUROK's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheD

The ignorance is yours!

"Stretching the image" is an adequate description and it can never make an image look better!

Grow up!

Originally Posted by TheD

But he is not right in attacking MThanded, upscailing can not make an image look better than the input, best it can do is make it look the same but with more pixels.

Except you and him are off-base.

A 640x480 image being outputted to a 1920x1080 display is going to look better using scaling algorithm like lanczos or bicubic than that same image being outputted to that same display using an algorithm like nearest neighbor.

Educate yourself.
iphys
Member
(11-19-2012, 02:05 PM)
iphys's Avatar
The Wii was 720x480 (non-square pixels). It really sucks because my monitor only has options to stretch to fill the 16:10 screen or display in the aspect ratio of the resolution, which was 3:2 for the Wii, so regardless of whether I set my Wii to 4:3 or 16:9 my Wii games looked distorted. I'm really glad the Wii U is upscaling to 1080p, so I won't have to play distorted games anymore, especially for Tetris.
Monkeylord
Member
(11-19-2012, 02:20 PM)
Monkeylord's Avatar
I can't wait to see how the Wii U handles the terrible PAL Virtual Console ports, and the awful PAL conversion 50hz games (Madworld, for example).
Risette
A Good Citizen
(11-19-2012, 02:25 PM)
Risette's Avatar
Lanczos sucks. Too much ringing.
Jac_Solar
Member
(11-19-2012, 03:45 PM)
Jac_Solar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Septimius

I hope you know your TV well enough to know how the sharpness setting works. Too high and it'll overdo the sharpness. Too low, and it'll look like a smeared turd.

Yeah, but it looked more like an ingame issue, if you know what I mean.
tinfoilhatman
all of my posts are my avatar
(11-19-2012, 03:50 PM)
tinfoilhatman's Avatar
Well at least they put a internal scaler in via XBX360, makes for a nice clean lag free picture.
Spazznid
Member
(11-19-2012, 03:58 PM)
Spazznid's Avatar
-I know the 360 has some games in a much higher res. At least, it seemed like games like SSX 3 were almost being run at 720+, but that was after a few patches and still most 360 games aren't Backwards Compatible. Also there seems to be no more work being done on BC, so at least we can play pretty much the entire Wii Library. I'd rather pay for select games in HD on the new Virtual Console and in disc format. For an HD Camecube/wii Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, Nintendo can haz all mai munnies.
Septimius
Member
(11-19-2012, 04:00 PM)
Septimius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jac_Solar

Yeah, but it looked more like an ingame issue, if you know what I mean.

I know. Xenoblade is a really pretty game, but detail isn't really where it strives. I just tend to not look at things up close. Maybe I should try it on the Dolphin
Spazznid
Member
(11-19-2012, 04:01 PM)
Spazznid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Septimius

I know. Xenoblade is a really pretty game, but detail isn't really where it strives. I just tend to not look at things up close. Maybe I should try it on the Dolphin

there's a HD pack for dolphin if you're interested in that.
Josh7289
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:07 PM)
Josh7289's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bill Rizer

PS2 games upscaled by PS3 could be amazing, too bad it introduced severe lag in the process, but that could be the product of interlaced/progressive conversion more than of upscaling itself.
A pure digital signal (hdmi) from source to display like it happens on WiiU will produce a way better picture than a signal that goes from digital to analog sampling (component) and than to digital reconversion again to be displayed. That's a fact.
So the questions are:
- How much does it lag?
- Is the underscan undefeatable? Even if this could be that in 1080p, the tvs of the users that reported the thing simply default in exact scan 1:1 mapping (which is the case for standard non-underscanning games), and so this issue can be avoided adjusting the overscan setting.

Big concern with me too.
JoshuaJSlone
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:23 PM)
JoshuaJSlone's Avatar
If they can hijack the Wii video output and send it through a scaler, why can't they take the same thing and send it through the Gamepad video encoder? That would still leave controlling an issue for the end user, but oh well.

Originally Posted by TUROK

Except you and him are off-base.

A 640x480 image being outputted to a 1920x1080 display is going to look better using scaling algorithm like lanczos or bicubic than that same image being outputted to that same display using an algorithm like nearest neighbor.

Educate yourself.

It's true that not all scaling methods are equal; but they were saying that even the best scaling can only hope to match the original.

Originally Posted by Bill Rizer

- How much does it lag?

Originally Posted by Josh7289

Big concern with me too.

Shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tried a Wii game on Wii U yet, but I haven't had any trouble with NSMBU being scaled up by the system.
UnaiGamer
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:40 PM)
UnaiGamer's Avatar
Are the Wii U games also upscalled?
DonMigs85
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:42 PM)
DonMigs85's Avatar

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

Lanczos sucks. Too much ringing.

Really? Isn't that what the 360 uses? It looks pretty clean to me.
metalmania4evr
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:42 PM)
metalmania4evr's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnaiGamer

Are the Wii U games also upscalled?

You funny.
DonMigs85
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:45 PM)
DonMigs85's Avatar

Originally Posted by MegaByte

Anybody try to stick a GC disc in to see what would happen?

I'm curious too. Does it reject it, or does it actually come up (though of course they can't be played w/o the proper controller).
wakajawaka
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:49 PM)
wakajawaka's Avatar
Someone should try The Last Story and see how it looks and if framerate drops
Danny 117
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:51 PM)
Danny 117's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnaiGamer

Are the Wii U games also upscalled?

Haha
JimboJones
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:54 PM)
JimboJones's Avatar
Whats funny about asking if WiiU games are upscalled? Wouldn't NSMB U be upscalled to 1080p if it's native resolution is 720p?
UnaiGamer
Member
(11-19-2012, 05:56 PM)
UnaiGamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by metalmania4evr

You funny.

Originally Posted by Danny 117

Haha

I think I didn't worded well. I'm talking about 720p games. The 360 scales them up to 1080p. I wanted to know if the Wi U does the same thing.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(11-19-2012, 05:57 PM)
dark10x's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnaiGamer

I think I didn't worded well. I'm talking about 720p games. The 360 scales them up to 1080p. I wanted to know if the Wi U does the same thing.

Yes, it does actually upscale 720p games to 1080p just like 360.
JoshuaJSlone
Member
(11-19-2012, 06:05 PM)
JoshuaJSlone's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

Yes, it does actually upscale 720p games to 1080p just like 360.

Yeah. Not knowing about this feature before but knowing NSMBU was a 720p game, I was surprised to see my TV didn't mention a change in resolution when the game loaded.
RedSwirl
Junior Member
(11-19-2012, 07:03 PM)
RedSwirl's Avatar
How does this compare to a BC PS3's upscaling?
John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
(11-19-2012, 07:05 PM)
John Harker's Avatar

Originally Posted by wakajawaka

Someone should try The Last Story and see how it looks and if framerate drops

I plan on trying it this week, if there's an easy way to get my save file from my Wii over to my Wii U. I probably need to buy an SD card or something, which I don't have
TunaLover
Member
(11-19-2012, 07:15 PM)
TunaLover's Avatar
Good news for once =P, happy to hear that
Sixfortyfive
He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
(11-19-2012, 07:37 PM)
Sixfortyfive's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedSwirl

How does this compare to a BC PS3's upscaling?

The PS3 doesn't even upscale PS3 games. If you have your system set to 1080p but put in a 720p game, the PS3 will switch to 720p when the game starts.
Criminal Upper
Banned
(11-19-2012, 07:52 PM)
Criminal Upper's Avatar
I dunno, I'm playing Last Story on my Wii U right now, and I can't really tell if there's any difference or not. Admitably, it's been a few months since I played it.
GrumpyAlien
Member
(11-19-2012, 07:54 PM)
GrumpyAlien's Avatar

Originally Posted by Criminal Upper

I dunno, I'm playing Last Story on my Wii U right now, and I can't really tell if there's any difference or not. Admitably, it's been a few months since I played it.

I didn't notice it as much in that as I did xenoblade. It's a rather brown game from what I've played so that might have something to do with it.
Criminal Upper
Banned
(11-19-2012, 07:58 PM)
Criminal Upper's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrumpyAlien

I didn't notice it as much in that as I did xenoblade. It's a rather brown game from what I've played so that might have something to do with it.

I'll try Xeno then.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(11-19-2012, 08:00 PM)
Totobeni's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sixfortyfive

The PS3 doesn't even upscale PS3 games. If you have your system set to 1080p but put in a 720p game, the PS3 will switch to 720p when the game starts.

PS3 upscale some games to 1080, sometimes it put them in 720p(I guess it up to the developers)sometimes you even need to "force" it to go 1080p or 720p by unchecking the av setting.
Eusis
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:01 PM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrumpyAlien

I didn't notice it as much in that as I did xenoblade. It's a rather brown game from what I've played so that might have something to do with it.

Yeah, if you want to see how color vibrancy improves on a new display or through new upscaling Last Story is one of the worst choices, a Mario game or Xenoblade is better. Hell, I bet Twilight Princess is too, though not as much as Skyward Sword.
Lord Error
Insane For Sony
(11-19-2012, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

Lanczos sucks. Too much ringing.

They all suck except for very complex and very slow fractal/spline based algorithms which take (at best) a few seconds to process a single image when the whole GPU is dedicated just for that. BenVista PhotoZoom Pro 5 is an example how something like this works, and it's seriously amazing. I've upscaled some Puppeteer 1280x720 screens to 2880x1880 to make a walpaper for my desktop - stuff is absolutely amazing.
TunaLover
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:12 PM)
TunaLover's Avatar

Originally Posted by Criminal Upper

I dunno, I'm playing Last Story on my Wii U right now, and I can't really tell if there's any difference or not. Admitably, it's been a few months since I played it.

The framerate is the same?
Hiltz
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:13 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar
I heard Wii games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Okami are among the Wii titles that tend to look noticably bettter when played on Wii U.
Last edited by Hiltz; 11-19-2012 at 08:15 PM.
DoctorWho
BOSS
(11-19-2012, 08:14 PM)
DoctorWho's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

I heard Wii games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Okami are among the Wii titles that tend to look noticably bettter when played on Wii U.

I just picked up Tats. I'll let you know.
Qurupeke
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:14 PM)
Qurupeke's Avatar
I didn't expect that. :O
Eusis
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:14 PM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

I heard Wii games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Okami are among the Wii titles that tend to look noticably bettter when played on Wii U.

Have to try to dig up TvC sometime. Okami though... I'm sure it looks nicer, but it's probably equal in vibrancy to the PS3 version now, and that's natively HD (even 1080p! albeit with tearing). Still nice to know though!
RedSwirl
Junior Member
(11-19-2012, 08:16 PM)
RedSwirl's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sixfortyfive

The PS3 doesn't even upscale PS3 games. If you have your system set to 1080p but put in a 720p game, the PS3 will switch to 720p when the game starts.

But it does upscale any PS2 game you put into it, with varying results.
Hiltz
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:17 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar
This guy demonstrated it on his Wii U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Dm70w_RsNvQ
The Boat
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:21 PM)
The Boat's Avatar

Originally Posted by wakajawaka

Someone should try The Last Story and see how it looks and if framerate drops

Why would the framerate be any different?
TunaLover
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:25 PM)
TunaLover's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Boat

Why would the framerate be any different?

It's a wishfull thing, but if Wii U manage to output 720p image from the Wii game we can expect other minor improvements.
Nostremitus
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:31 PM)
Nostremitus's Avatar
I started Xenoblade on my Wii U. The system is upscaling, TV is receiving a 1080p signal in Wii mode.
Colors seem to be a lot more vibrant due to HDMI, IQ looks marginally better... it may just be me, but it seems as though there's less (for lack of a better word) haziness when looking at distant objects. (ie mechonis, clouds, distant outcroppings, etc)

Edit: I guess the haziness I was refering to was the ringing effect being gone on the Wii U...
Last edited by Nostremitus; 11-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.
PikaZeroX
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:44 PM)
PikaZeroX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Josh7289

Big concern with me too.

I'm not an expert with lag measuring tools and whatnot, but I do play a lot of fighting games so I definitely feel when something is off. I did play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which performed great, no perceivable lag. My HDTV has 8ms of lag by itself on 1080p sources in HDMI pc mode.
wakajawaka
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:50 PM)
wakajawaka's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Boat

Why would the framerate be any different?

I dunno, I know nothing about these tech matters, was just curious because the game had some awful framerate.
oatmeal
Member
(11-19-2012, 08:57 PM)
oatmeal's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

This guy demonstrated it on his Wii U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Dm70w_RsNvQ

I put in RE4 last night and it looked horrific.
mafionikkoku
Junior Member
(11-19-2012, 09:20 PM)
mafionikkoku's Avatar
A Wii game go to the Wii U and the Wii U says: why so blurry?

Worst joke ever.

UltimateIke
Member
(11-20-2012, 01:56 AM)
UltimateIke's Avatar
So I assumed that the Wii U would output Wii games in the RGB color space.

It appears I was wrong.

When I am in Wii mode, my TV doesn't have access to its RGB settings. Which only normally happens when I'm playing a Bluray in Y′CbCr. So even over HDMI, the Wii U's Wii mode is still using the same color space output as the original Wii used for component video, just in digital form. Weird.

Thread Tools