• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dartastic
(11-19-2012, 05:44 AM)
I'm at two for today. First one was ten minutes into Assassins Creed 3. The second was while I was playing 4 player Metroid Blast. What. The. Fuck. The system should not be locking up this much.
KillerTravis
Banned
(11-19-2012, 05:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Dartastic

I'm at two for today. First one was ten minutes into Assassins Creed 3. The second was while I was playing 4 player Metroid Blast. What. The. Fuck. The system should not be locking up this much.

I guess I've been lucky. Hopefully an update will release soon.
andymcc
(11-19-2012, 05:45 AM)
mine did it earlier when I was trying to access miiverse (around the time it would have went down lol)
Sklorenz
(11-19-2012, 05:47 AM)
That sucks OP. Have people been reporting this elsewhere?

Originally Posted by KillerTravis

I guess I've been lucky. Hopefully an update will release soon.

Still downloading the first one atm.

I would have skipped it if I'd realized it was going to take so long. Should have been paying attention to GAF.
Mattakuevan
(11-19-2012, 05:48 AM)
I just got my first one, 30 minutes into playing nintendo land. It froze and there was a semi-loud tone coming out of the gamepad.

I had to pull the plug, seems fine now.
StuBurns
Banned
(11-19-2012, 05:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Sklorenz

That sucks OP. Have people been reporting this elsewhere?

GiantBomb's stream had two hard locks.
Madao
(11-19-2012, 05:51 AM)
i got a hard lock when i booted Nintendoland the first time (fastest hard lock ever on a game?)
tenchir
(11-19-2012, 05:52 AM)
The first patch just came out yesterday for a new OS that's been rushed out to meet some deadline, there is bound to be bugs. I expect them to fix this issue eventually.

I have only experience one lock so far and it was after patching Nintendoland, the screen just stayed on the Nintendoland main screen looping.
dvolovets
(11-19-2012, 05:52 AM)
Locked on DK's Crash Course in Nintendoland (how appropriate), wouldn't even respond to the power button... had to pull the plug on it.
backlot
(11-19-2012, 05:56 AM)
I haven't had any hard locks. Knock on wood.
Kame
(11-19-2012, 05:57 AM)
CONFIRMED.

What the fuck is going on, seriously?

I bought my new Wii U just yesterday, been messing with it today since it's my day off.

Had 3 -- THREE freezes that required me to manually reset the whole console by unplugging it from the wall.

First time was trying to access the Settings menu
Second was in mid-game and controller froze along with the TV screen
Third was when accessing Miiverse.

Nintendo, what is this shit?
Shadow Hog
(11-19-2012, 05:58 AM)

Originally Posted by backlot

I haven't had any hard locks. Knock on wood.

Same. Maybe I'll encounter one in the future, but none yet.
Justin
(11-19-2012, 05:58 AM)
On the giantbomb stream it hard locked when trying to load Mario. They had to pull the power to get it to restart.
Linkhero1
(11-19-2012, 05:59 AM)
Had this happen during Tekken loading screen. You can't even turn off the console manually so you have to actually pull the plug in order to get out of this. It's annoying.
MegaByte
(11-19-2012, 06:01 AM)
Reminds me of Wii around launch. :-/
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(11-19-2012, 06:01 AM)
Man, this have been a busy weekend of WiiU threads and not many are positive. This helps me greatly into restraining myself from buying it at launch! (I mean, tks guys!)
Morts
(11-19-2012, 06:02 AM)
I had three today, all during loading screens. Two moving between built-in apps and one in Black Ops.
bounchfx
(11-19-2012, 06:02 AM)
uh oh, now I'm worried. urgh, cmon nintendo!
Zulithe
(11-19-2012, 06:03 AM)
Well, one did happen to me but it was because I hit the disc eject button right after NSMBU finished patching and showed its splash screen.

As long as these aren't hardware problems i'm happy to wait it out. I have endless piles of games to play on all platforms to keep me busy if it came to that.
dragonflys545
(11-19-2012, 06:04 AM)
You people are scaring me now!!!
supahkiwi
Nintendo Seal of Quality
TheProphet
same thing happened with the 3DS.
it's all procedural
Effect
(11-19-2012, 06:05 AM)
Had the system freeze twice on me. Unplugging it seemed to fix it. Hopefully they address it. It's such a weird freeze though. It happen when nothing was actually happening. I was just loading up a game.
Kame
(11-19-2012, 06:06 AM)
Well as a guinea pig for launch this are my thoughts;

I really think Nintendo should have really delayed this console after witnessing it's problems. For the lack of better word, this is definitely under-cooked and had been rushed.

I'm just hoping that over time this will get fixed with remedy patches, but as of now I am a very unsatisfied customer with this console.
EulaCapra
(11-19-2012, 06:07 AM)
Thank you Wii U launch buyers! You're the real American heroes!
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
Thankfully, I haven't had any lock ups yet but this has definitely been an un-Nintendo-like launch. Way too many issues.
ChosenPredator
I am really hoping for an update to the next few weeks are going to be rough lol
skullflame
(11-19-2012, 06:08 AM)
For me it was booting Netflix, second while shortly playing Mario U. After though, had a long group session after and worked fine.
Jasper Avenue
(11-19-2012, 06:08 AM)
I like it. Reminds me of my PS3.
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(11-19-2012, 06:09 AM)
Report violation

vulgar language
SparkTR
(11-19-2012, 06:10 AM)
A Nintendo console crashing sounds so wrong to me, I'm going to go boot up my N64.
Effect
(11-19-2012, 06:15 AM)
I honestly don't think the system was rushed or undercooked at all. I think they weren't able to stress test anything resembling anything close to a launch. Thus issues have appeared. As for games and the system being "undercooked", exclusive launch games (that aren't getting AAA budgets because they're launch games) and ports aren't the best to judge a system's potential. Wait until there is a game that is purposefully pushing graphics, set pieces, etc and 100% designed for the system. There is no game like that at launch and likely won't even show up until sometime next year. I fully expect there to be more updates to the OS, as there should be. I just hope Nintendo is fast with them so menus load quicker.
Spazznid
(11-19-2012, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Trvst

I like it. Reminds me of my PS3.

hehehehehehehe

Originally Posted by Effect

I honestly don't think the system was rushed or undercooked at all. I think they weren't able to stress test anything resembling anything close to a launch. Thus issues have appeared. As for games and the system being "undercooked", exclusive launch games (that aren't getting AAA budgets because they're launch games) and ports aren't the best to judge a system's potential. Wait until there is a game that is purposefully pushing graphics, set pieces, etc and 100% designed for the system. There is no game like that at launch and likely won't even show up until sometime next year. I fully expect there to be more updates to the OS, as there should be. I just hope Nintendo is fast with them so menus load quicker.

I agree.
Wait for the next "Xenoblade", or the next "Galaxy", or the next Metroid to guage what the system can do.
Shark Johnson
Why yes, I am on Xbox LIVE. How did you know?
(11-19-2012, 06:17 AM)
Nintendo just wants to make sure you really want to keep playing. It's like the little message that pops up in Korean MMOs telling you to take a break. Only this one is more involved since you gotta get up and physically do something. It's a good substitute until Wii Fit U comes out.
Inorigo
Banned
(11-19-2012, 06:17 AM)
GAF is delivering like Dominos in this Wii U launch period.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(11-19-2012, 06:20 AM)
yay, first adopters.
MCD
(11-19-2012, 06:22 AM)
Welcome to Japanese OS software.
peterb0y
(11-19-2012, 06:22 AM)

so you're saying its undercooked
Buckethead
(11-19-2012, 06:23 AM)
It's a hard lock life.
Effect
(11-19-2012, 06:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Spazznid

I agree.
Wait for the next "Xenoblade", or the next "Galaxy", or the next Metroid to guage what the system can do.

Exactly. People need to have some patience. Nintendo is trying to do a lot here I think. I'm willing to give them some time. However I would like the freezing thing addressed asap. Having to send my system into repair if a freeze does some damage is going to be really annoying.

The system is bought. I'm not going to sell it. Like all expensive hardware, I'm in it for the long haul. I said before the next system I buy was just going to be Nintendo's because of their IPs. Made it, will live with it, and even though there are problems I'm happy at the moment. I never expected the Wii U's equivalent of Galaxy, Uncharted, Halo to show up day one, certainly not from a 3rd party developer either.
Last edited by Effect; 11-19-2012 at 06:26 AM.
KojiKnight
(11-19-2012, 06:24 AM)
Hmm... no lockups so far. Been playing lots of NintendoLand with the wife and spent a couple hours on netflix.

As for miiverse, no problems beside the fact that "in game" integration (like that of NintendoLand) seems to still not be working, though I can go to the community pages for the different games fine.
Shark Johnson
Why yes, I am on Xbox LIVE. How did you know?
(11-19-2012, 06:25 AM)

Originally Posted by peterb0y

so you're saying its undercooked

The first line in that post says that he DOESN'T think that. Ignore everything else.
Kame
(11-19-2012, 06:26 AM)

As much as I would like to agree with you, most of your statements lead to the definition of 'under-cooked'.

Sorry mate.

Might return my Wii U later. Pretty sure I still have that 1 week open box policy.
Mr. Enigma
Giant Bomb had two hard locks during their livestream Sunday.
gatti-man
Played 8 hours today on smbu and blops2, zero locks. Hopefully its not a hardware issue.
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
(11-19-2012, 06:27 AM)
Do you think the powerful GPU is overheating?
Neiteio
(11-19-2012, 06:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Buckethead

It's a hard lock life.

Ha! :)
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls

Originally Posted by Log4Girlz

This got me.
Effect
I had my first freeze around the time GiantBomb had theirs. As did others in the thread when it was commented on. I wonder if it was directly related to Miiverse related.

Wonder if anyone that didn't have their system connected to the internet has had any freezes yet.
Kame
(11-19-2012, 06:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Log4Girlz

\_(ツ)_/