• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treyarch pull Nuketown 2025 pre-order bonus map in Black Ops 2(Up: Back, in playlist)

Sethos

Banned
ibqo3Janu3epyF.gif

LQX

Holy shit. I sure hope the dude who I sold mine to on Ebay does not file a claim. Fucking ridiculous.

def sim

Are custom matches basically the same as in any other game? Or is there something particularly shitty about them in CoD?

Practically everyone would rather play with friends and go against strangers in matchmaking. It's not a CoD specific thing, it's like that in most shooters.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Darthbob is being anti-consumer because ???
...someone had to defend this and no one else had stepped up to the task.

Seriously, it's like a golden rule: If something bad happens, someone WILL defend it, no exceptions.

It's a deep dark hole you get into if you start pandering to a subset of a game's community to produce content that, frankly, is abused to gain XP and is objectively bad level design for the size of games you get in Call of Duty. I'm honestly not sure if that is fun for people, to level up quicker, since I've only ever played a small amount of the original Black Ops and I didn't find it much fun in the first place.
They could have tweaked the XP rates for that map, lowering them accordingly, or even disabling them. That way you don't get to gain crazy amounts of XP (which I don't even think is bad at all; if that's how you enjoy the game, more power to you), and you don't screw every person who pre-ordered the game believing they'll be able to play the map whenever they wanted.

By removing it the only thing they managed was pissing off the early buyers. Not a single gamer has benefited from this.

jiggles

Banned
I wonder if this has something to do with the ton of copies that shipped without Nuketown when all launch copies were supposed to have it.

Acinixys

I played a very limited amount of Nuketown, but this seems like a massive middle finger to those who did enjoy it. Why bang on about it being a bonus when you're just going to f over your player base by removing it?

Phinor

its counter strike without dust, ut 99 without facing worlds, halo without blood gulch, team fortress without 2fort, Battlefield 3 without metro, etc.

So basically out of those games it sounds like it would make CS ten times better, UT99 slightly better, no idea about Halo, TF probably slightly worse, and Battlefield 3 would be almost a completely new, infinitely better game. Sounds good to me!

But I kid, although I do hate those individual maps that draw 99% of the population. I want to play different map every day. But they already made Nuketown 2025 a separate playlist so that it wouldn't ruin rest of the game (like it completely killed Black Ops 1). I thought that was a good solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

Gav47

This is bullshit.

It's a very fun level to play for various reasons, but let me explain why I'm personally so annoyed about this.

My girlfriend has been playing the map constantly for days. She's always enjoyed fiddling around in CoD, but this map really grabbed her and allowed her to really get good (2:1 ratio common etc). For someone who wasn't overly experienced in online FPS' the size of the map was perfect, as was the constant action (Don't have to run around lots to find action etc).

Now? She's fucked. We don't have many real life friends who play CoD, and bots are boring. She has NO way to play this online in the environment she enjoys. Not a single way. Complete bait and switch.

Edge case, the majority of players are using it to level up and inflate their stats. Buy the first Black Ops and have her join a 24/7 Nuketown server there. And yeah it is a total bait and switch, they need to figure out a better solution than just taking the map out of matchmaking completely.

So basically out of those games it sounds like it would make CS ten times better, UT99 slightly better, no idea about Halo, TF probably slightly worse, and Battlefield 3 would be almost a completely new, infinitely better game. Sounds good to me!

But I kid, although I do hate those individual maps that draw 99% of the population. I want to play different map every day. But they already made Nuketown 2025 a separate playlist so that it wouldn't ruin rest of the game (like it completely killed Black Ops 1). I thought that was a good solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

On the PC the nuketown playlist would have between 1000-3000 players in it while there were around 20,000 total players online. Nowhere even close to a dominating playlist and plus people bought this game just for this map, so you would expect it to have more players in it than any other 1 map playlist.

Shadybiz

Awful decision. I just sent this in an email to a few of my friends a couple minutes ago:

I am hoping that enough people gripe about it that they put it back up. I was really impressed with how they implemented it, too. I was like "Wow, they made a whole playlist, so the people that hated Nuketown don't have to bother with it, and it won't mess up parties where some people have it downloaded, and some don't. How awesome!"

...and now it's gone. I didn't get to play it either...just figured it would always be there. And it wasn't even up for 7 days, so it was more like "Nuketown 24/6....for 6 days only"

onQ123

I have the game & downloaded the Nutetown DLC but haven't played it or know what it's about should I be upset by this news?

Does anyone really even care? Its just Black Ops 2. I'll be waiting for another modern warfare or something. *Goes back to playing Halo 4*

Yeah. no one cares. *goes back to not playing halo 4 even though he bought it launch day and has only played 15 minutes of it because its boring and halo 1 was the best its been downhill ever since lolololo owned*

Phinor

On the PC the nuketown playlist would have between 1000-3000 players in it while there were around 20,000 total players online. Nowhere even close to a dominating playlist and plus people bought this game just for this map, so you would expect it to have more players in it than any other 1 map playlist.

Blops 2? I don't have the game but I know it ruined Blops 1 on PC. I've tried going back multiple times this year and there's hardly ever a server with decent ping that isn't Nuketown.

Edge case, the majority of players are using it to level up and inflate their stats. Buy the first Black Ops and have her join a 24/7 Nuketown server there. And yeah it is a total bait and switch, they need to figure out a better solution than just taking the map out of matchmaking completely.

Brilliant solution. Because they're totally the same game and having content I'd paid for being taken away means I should just buy another game.

Come the fuck on.

Who cares if a lot of people play to level up. I used to play headquarters a lot in CoD4 because it was the best way to level up. It doesn't hurt anyone if someone levels up fast - hell, that's a FUN thing to do.

Blops 2? I don't have the game but I know it ruined Blops 1 on PC. I've tried going back multiple times this year and there's hardly ever a server with decent ping that isn't Nuketown.

Ya 2 not 1. It did ruin 1 but it seemed liked they figured out a good way for it to exist for Blops 2.

Ken

Maybe people were leveling faster than they liked in N24/7 playlist? Aside from that I don't see any reason to remove a playlist for a map that a lot of people probably bought the game for just to play.

And for people who don't know what custom game is: that's the 'feature' of CoD nobody touches with a 12ft pole.

I appreciate this translation as I was going to say "Why the hell does it matter if you can still play it?"

Now I learned that the player base doesn't use a feature and thus it's the developers fault.

Tarps

If the decision was down to worries about xp whoring, they could easily halve xp as they do in combat training. This I would be cool with. Pulling it completely is just a huge fuck you to fans.

absolutely crazy! I dont play Nuketown much but for them to advertise this map the way they did and now its only in custom games is just wrong!! what the hell are they thinking?

I appreciate this translation as I was going to say "Why the hell does it matter if you can still play it?"

Now I learned that the player base doesn't use a feature and thus it's the developers fault.

well when you base your entire reason to play a game around xp and leveling, instituting a feature that doesnt have it, is a poor feature. So yeah blame the developers.

MrDaravon

If they pulled it just because people were leveling up "too fast" on it, a)they're complete idiots for not seeing that coming months ago, and b)maybe they should either be confident that people will play their product once they hit 10th Prestige, and if they're not the game has other issues that they should address.

? But in this case it is the developers fault. That or the publisher's fault. All I know is that if you don't give players incentives for using a mode it is your fault as a developer.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is so unbelievably dumb.

The only thing I'd recommend is that there be a game selection in the Nuketown area. I like playing Moshpit, but a lot of people for some reason, even after five of these games, don't know how to do objective based matches.

Plasma

Banned
I've never really liked Nuketown but pulling a playlist that is popular and was a preorder incentive seems like a really stupid move.

Top Bottom