• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

The Boat

Expensive accessories aren't a new thing this gen. Nor is loss-leading. Nor are hardware faults (see DRE) - and presumably as hardware becomes more complex there's more room for fault.

The point was that in order to make a console with that power all those years ago, there were a lot of sacrifices and simply thinking "Wii U is 300/350 and 360 was 300/400" is too broad a stroke.

wsippel

Banned
How different (better?) Really is L2 edram Than L2 cache normally is in a chip?
eDRAM needs a lot less transistors and consumes less power, which reportedly allowed Nintendo to go with an unusually large L2 cache of 3MB. That little detail also makes die size and power consumption comparisons with other chips a lot less meaningful.

TheD

The Detective
Sigh

Why did someone have to bring this stupid thread back up?!

Reality is the the PowerPC 7xx series evolved a lot from its inception through to the final models. Comparing a early model 7xx series to late models, honestly is like comparing a Pentium 3 to a Core 2.

No, the Core 2 is very different from the P3.
If the WiiU CPU is just 3 750CL cores with some EDRAM cache then that is a very small jump compared to P3 vs C2D, more like P4 to P4D!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I don't think XBL is ideal, but much better than overpriced games in Nintendo online stores.

"Hey pay more than the physical copy of our game although it should be more cheaper! and here's our 5€-10€ rom dumps!"
Anything beats paying for online or fake Microsoft money and ending up with stray points left over on your account. Pricing DLC at 1600 points and only selling points cards in multiples of 500 is unbelievably shit. I'm aware 400/800 point cards exist, but i haven't seen them in Australia. I could be totally wrong.

Nintendo's VC and online stuff is pretty terrible at times but they're setting a good trend with add-ons for the Wii U - no overpriced proprietary storage or headsets. Being able to use your own HDD is great.

NateDrake

I don't think XBL is ideal, but much better than overpriced games in Nintendo online stores.

"Hey pay more than the physical copy of our game although it should be more cheaper! and here's our 5€-10€ rom dumps!"

Developers/Publisher choose their pricing on the Wii U eShop. If EA wanted Madden to be $5 it could be or they can hold sales whenever they choose to.

GOD launches are also full price MSRP, and XBL prices are at parity with eShop downloads. What exactly are you talking about, XBL and eShop carry the same sort of pricepoints?

While true, Cell and Xenon's architecture aren't very good. Aren't they both only like 15% faster than Broadway?

I've seen that guys post, and no. I understand he's a programmer but even that guy himself said the "15% more power" is from unoptimized code. Most small devs don't optimize them. The big plus about the cell that devs took a while to take use was the LS (local storage). The 256kb of instant use data that was right next to the SPU's.

CELL and especially Xenon weren't designed from scratch, though. The PPE is also an "evolution" of a core designed more than a decade ago. Not to mention that evolution turned out to be a step in the wrong direction, so IBM threw it out of the window almost immediately.

Power processors aren't new, but the cell design was.

Log4Girlz

Sigh

Why did someone have to bring this stupid thread back up?!

No, the Core 2 is very different from the P3.
If the WiiU CPU is just 3 750CL cores with some EDRAM cache then that is a very small jump compared to P3 vs C2D, more like P4 to P4D!

How many people call desktop intel chips horrble and slow lol

Stewox

Banned
Am I understand you correctly that you're saying 4A Games are clueless and don't know what they are talking about?

Yep, if they mean it seriously, they don't have any clue about the CPU. But it was more likely to be BS for the media to hoard.

Team Ninja agrees:

“To be completely blunt and honest, there’s no way that the Wii U processor is ‘horrible and slow’ compared to other platforms. I think that comment was just 4A trying to find a scapegoat for a simple business decision on their part.”

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507190

4A doesn't make platform publishing decisions.

Quite probably not, but the people resonsible for the Metro 2033 platform publishing decisions already made clear, that 4A didn't ever had a clue how fast or slow the CPU of the Wii U is, because they never laid hands on anything else than an early, not nearly finalised, devkit.
Besides, even if I agree with you, that 4A didn't do any platform publishing decisions, it was 4A, that claimed, they make such decisions in the first place.

Effect

So when Warner picks up the license I guess we can expect a Wii U port again?

Could damage possibly already be done? Those that would be interested in the game, at least the day one purchasers or anyone that might be deciding which version of a game to buy, might have heard about this already. Would there be concern since 4A already ran their mouth that even if the new publisher put out the money for a Wii U version that it wouldn't be good because people simply wouldn't trust 4A to do their best and deliver a quality product. Maybe wanting to prove what they said the first time was correct to save face?

Then again this just could be me projecting. I personally would be wary about a Wii U version now since they were all to willing to blame the system with their lack of experience with it.

Top Bottom