• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neilsen: iPad & Wii U most wanted gifts in NA, 3DS 1% point above Vita for ages 13+

Mesoian

http://www.taragis.com/2012/11/kids-want-an-ipad-for-christmas/
It looks like Wii U ads were not that bad.

Kids aged 6-12
Holiday-Devices-K6-12.png

13 and up
Holiday-Devices-P13+.png

Yeah, Walmart's WiiU Inventory stock says otherwise.

Pretty awesome for WiiU. But if Nintendo doesn't patch this annoying random freezing/lock, word of mouth will kill it quickly.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wow, what? I can't understand why a 5 year old would want/need an iPad.

When i was 5 i was happy running in circles and shouting at the top of my voice.
In two words: Angry Birds. Seriously. I'm sure even his sockets are branded with Angry Birds.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wow, what? I can't understand why a 5 year old would want/need an iPad.

When i was 5 i was happy running in circles and shouting at the top of my voice.

You sisn't play no video games? Foe shame... Though seriously it's not really surprising with a decent advertising campaign, really want/need don't really come into it.

Neo C.

I have cousins younger than 13 who already got tablets. Not exceptional nowadays.

The irrelevance of the 3DS is worrisome though. :/

VanWinkle

Can't imagine having ANY of that stuff for Christmas, especially at 6-12 years old! That's insane to me.

Also surprised Kinect is still a "thing", and a popular thing at that. I never hear a word about it from anybody.

Korosenai

I have an iPhone, Xbox, wii, ds, and an iPad. My 5 and 6 year old cousins are currently living with me and my family so they're around me a lot. Out of all of my stuff, the iPad and ds is what they want most. So not suprising to see iPad that high, but very suprising seeing the 3ds that low.

Darryl

Banned
Weird, there doesn't seem to be any buzz around it at all. Good news for Nintendo here.

Wii U is still trending on the top of Google. I think they're just doing a very successful job marketing it to the right audiences, young teens and parents. I seen a commercial for it at both Wreck It Ralph and Lincoln, for example.

Also surprised Kinect is still a "thing", and a popular thing at that. I never hear a word about it from anybody.

MS still sell the Kinect right? I think its just the software that does shit.
As I say though - the way its worded is going to cause confusion to the people asked - especially kids who won't really know why something is called a Kinect and the other is an Xbox.

Well done MS surface marketing team.
You have 4% penetration

Apple TV am cry.

Seriously, though, maybe it's because I came from a family with five kids, but do parents actually buy kids Ipads, computers and laptops for their kids as Christmas presents?

Izick

But the RAM and CPU and GPU man. Don't these kids know?

They might when the next consoles come out. Remember all the Genesis and SNES commercials? Even if it's not that direct, they may notice when Jimmy's PS4 plays Call of Duty 6 with better graphics.

Do kids play with legos, nerf guns, and the like anymore? :(

I think Nielson only asked for electronic devices, but kids are spoiled fucking rotten these days so it's a toss up.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Apple TV am cry.

Seriously, though, maybe it's because I came from a family with five kids, but do parents actually buy kids Ipads, computers and laptops for their kids as Christmas presents?

That's like asking do people really gamble away thousands of pounds/dollars, some rich or silly people do sure. Of course you'll find some parent out there who got suckered into buying it.

Spierek

Vita scraping the bottom of the 6-12 list, and winning with two other PlayStation products (Move and PSP) on the 13+ one. Too bad.

Though honestly, I'm kinda surprised that WiiU is so high, considering Nintendo's marketing efforts.

Wouldn't an iPad for a 6 or 7 year old get tons of scratches and fingerprints and goo all over it? anyone with a kid around that age have experience with this? I probably would've took a piss on it at 5 or 6, had no idea what i was doing. Times have really changed

I have cousins younger than 13 who already got tablets. Not exceptional nowadays.

The irrelevance of the 3DS is worrisome though. :/

Neither my daughter nor any of her friends give a damn about Mario and Nintendo (6-8 year olds). They want two things - a 360 to play Minecraft on (just Minecraft, nothing else), and an iPad Mini. My how things change.

Davey Cakes

They have to come up with a new ad. You can't play the same one that is annoying as shit every single time. It needs to be a campaign with at least a few options... I swear, I'm so sick of the snapping over and over.
After Apple's intolerable ads, I thought Microsoft would try something different and better. Not being annoying was the only thing they had to accomplish.

They failed. Badly. What a terrible commercial.

Top Bottom