• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge listed for PS3/360 in Europe and dated for Japan

rvy

Banned
I wouldn't use Sigma 2 as evidence of Team Ninja's skillset. They've been downhill on action games since NGB. Don't even get me started on Other M.
Team Ninja is gone. Any game post NG II shouldn't be considered Team Ninja. It's either Team Ninjadog or Team No Ninja.

Don't think I mentioned skill. Just said it doesn't look like fun. But, hey, if needing to repeat one thing over and over just to get through your shittily balanced battles is fun, go ahead. It does take a special kind of skill to do that.

But killing packs of 4 dogs at a time seems fun to you? Really? OK.

DR2K

Banned
Ayane is the best character in Ninja Gaiden, about time Xbox fans get to play as her.

Team Ninja is gone. Any game post NG II shouldn't be considered Team Ninja. It's either Team Ninjadog or Team No Ninja.

DOA5 is one of their best games ever.

Skilletor

Why do people think that Nintendo somehow helped with NG3? Why are people comparing this situation where Nintendo stepped in and revived Bayonetta 2 with a franchise that has a history of multiple versions of the same game across different platforms?

I'm actually curious if there's some interview or something I missed.

But killing packs of 4 dogs at a time seems fun to you? Really? OK.

Actually, I hate fighting dogs in all NG games and Shinobi. Fuck those things. I'd rather be fighting ninjas.

Takao

Banned
Why do people think that Nintendo somehow helped with NG3? Why are people comparing this situation where Nintendo stepped in and revived Bayonetta 2 with a franchise that has a history of multiple versions of the same game across different platforms?

They are also publishing the upgraded port based on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game.

Nintendo is working with Tecmo on Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, according to a Nintendo representative at E3 2012. The extent of which isn't fully known, but reportedly Nintendo assisted with using the Wii U's unique control inputs.

The Nintendo rep also said that the goal is to improve on the game, which had a lackluster critical response when it came out earlier this year.

Additionally, Nintendo is publishing the title. It was first announced for Wii U during last year's press conference. Nintendo has previously worked closely with Tecmo on Metroid: Other M and Pokemon Conquest.

What Nintendo fans failed to realize is that Koei Tecmo is loyal to no one but the almighty yen. they dun care

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30552

rvy

Banned
DOA5 is one of their best games ever.

Don't know, never played it. People seem to like it, good for them. Looks good, don't know if it plays good. That being said, the people that left with Itagaki were far more essential to NG than they were to DOA, so that doesn't surprise me.

Jinroh

I personally hate sigma 2. On the plus side, it was good looking.

But:

- Lack of ennemies, and too resistant, made the battle drag
- Much easier...
- No gore? wtf is that purple mist, it's not a mario game
- Removed boss and weapons?
- Some levels feel totally empty
- No more aquatic fights
- Removed costumes

In no way I would consider it a superior version. They just had to get rid of projectiles cheapness, but they went too far and transformed it into something casual.

When I play Ninja Gaiden 2, I feel the brutality of the gameplay, and the game being hard and gore makes it very rewarding for some reason. It's so intense.

Sigma 2 feels bland in comparison. You really don't feel like you're fighting with claws, katanas, etc... The feeling is absent.

WilyRook

"Tame Ninja"

?

....sry

Sigma 2 had a, to me anyway, infuriatingly long quick-weapon-select load time, in the original the d-pad menu is instant. And the enemies seemed to have way too many hit points or whatever in Sigma 2, I guess to make up for the lack of enemies in any given encounter as compared to NG2. Sigmas never really allowed for more than 4 or 5 enemies at once iirc. NG2 felt like a constant swarm of enemies that could kill you as quick as you could kill them.

I've beaten the Sigma's on Master Ninja, not so for the originals. NG2 on Mentor is insane to me but, I'm still playing.

WilyRook

Do you have a beard? You'll grow a beard if you finish it above Warrior.

Aye...grey hair, too.

(Kind of) Btw, I always wished Muramasa would've been an unlockable character with an Intercept-style moveset, as displayed in that cutscene. Guess I'll link it.

awesome 49 sec. scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHltmVX1a8Y

As to Sigma 3, if it's released I'll play it just for the sake of playing it and seeing what's up with it etc. I haven't played any version of 3 yet beyond the demo.

Ninja Dom

Now here's a dilemma. I bought and played through Ninja Gaiden 3 on PS3. Hard difficulty. It wasn't too bad. But I know it was severely lacking compared to the earlier games.

I want the ultimate/best version of this game and up until recently I assumed that to be Razor's Edge.

Now I don't have a Wii U yet but planning in getting one soon. Do I buy RE? Or wait for Sigma3?

Thing is I don't mind double dipping with RE so much (different platform, game pad enhancement and play solely on the game pad) but It's harder to double dip with Sigma 3 on PS3 as I already spent £40 on vanilla 3 at launch. I deserve the Sigma version as a free update. I think.

I've specified action games, because I haven't played DoA5, so who knows. I didn't like DoA4 very much, so I haven't paid it much attention.

All I know is it's been a long-ass time since I loved an action game from Team Ninja. And that sucks.

Robot Pants

Wait, what? I played both and had a much better experience with Sigma 2 over the highly unpolished original.

Love it

I have to say though Sigma 2 was the better version overall.

Sigma 2 was the best version of Ninja Gaiden. If you suffered through it, then Ng just isn't for you.

Same. NGB > NGS2 > NGS > NG2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NG3

imo.

I've got the new console itch, so I'm going to pick up razor's edge at lunch. I want to see how it is.

This.

I prefer Sigma 2. it was better,run better and balanced way more. (and Ayane was pretty freaking good)

I guess people hate on Sigma just because of the Itagaki vs Hayashi thing.

Sigma 2 is better than the atrocity[to harsh a word. A bit better] that was NG 2. So in that aspect you are wrong. Yeah there are dumb down issues but at the end of the day it's my opinion I guess.

NG Black is great. always will be.

Never knew there were so many Ninja Dogs on GAF.
NG2 is so obviously better than Sigma 2, but whatever. I've had this conversation too many times already.
Let's all agree that 3 is terrible and continue bashing on that.

Also,

Ayane is the best character in Ninja Gaiden, about time Xbox fans get to play as her.
jackie_chan_sharks%5B1%5D.jpg

DR2K

Banned
Never knew there were so many Ninja Dogs on GAF.
NG2 is so obviously better than Sigma 2, but whatever. I've had this conversation too many times already.
Let's all agree that 3 is terrible and continue bashing on that.

Also,

jackie_chan_sharks%5B1%5D.jpg

Kind of sad every NG2 vanilla fan has the same elitist attitude towards a game they probably never played. Some people like their action games a little balanced at a more stable frame rate, with updated visuals, with a little more character diversity, and new content. Can ya dig?

Robot Pants

Kind of sad every NG2 vanilla fan has the same elitist attitude towards a game they probably never played. Some people like their action games a little balanced at a more stable frame rate, with updated visuals, with a little more character diversity, and new content. Can ya dig?

Not getting into it, but yes I've played and beaten Sigma 2 on MN.

PJX

Kinda sad every NGS2 fan has this elitist attitude about them, making assumptions that NG2 fans doesn't own or have not played NGS2.

And FYI I own both games and have played them at length. NGS2 is just dog shit compared to NG2.

Peff

Now here's a dilemma. I bought and played through Ninja Gaiden 3 on PS3. Hard difficulty. It wasn't too bad. But I know it was severely lacking compared to the earlier games.

I want the ultimate/best version of this game and up until recently I assumed that to be Razor's Edge.

Now I don't have a Wii U yet but planning in getting one soon. Do I buy RE? Or wait for Sigma3?

Thing is I don't mind double dipping with RE so much (different platform, game pad enhancement and play solely on the game pad) but It's harder to double dip with Sigma 3 on PS3 as I already spent £40 on vanilla 3 at launch. I deserve the Sigma version as a free update. I think.

You should totally wait unless you have NOTHING else you want for the WiiU. You've already played through the alpha, this will very likely have even more extra stuff. And if it turns out it doesn't or it's nothing interesting, RE will be cheaper by then.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Turd times the charm.

Flawless victory! I will buy it if it means it's better. I held back on getting the regular, and I still don't have a WIIUU WIIUU WIIUUU yet.

SkylineRKR

I was thrilled when NGS2 was announced for Ps3. But I ended up being disappointed, and just bored by it. You could izuna drop right off the bat... I don't know if I want that.

NG2 was unfair, but it had constant action and I personally liked the gore a lot. Sigma 2 just felt empty and there was hardly any challenge. Sure NG2 had to be dumbed down in some areas... but why so vigorously like this? And whats the deal with Hayashi's obsession with Statue bosses? They are horse shit.

Sigma 1 was not better than Black, but it was true to the original in many ways. I actually liked how they removed some backtracking stuff. I consider Sigma 1 to be a very solid Ps3 slasher, but Sigma 2... meh.

Im not going to call out names but I find it extremely interesting that the same people who have really shitty opinions in the DMC and DmC threads are also equally worth ignoring in the Ninja Gaiden threads.

Skilletor

Kinda sad every NGS2 fan has this elitist attitude about them, making assumptions that NG2 fans doesn't own or have not played NGS2.

And FYI I own both games and have played them at length. NGS2 is just dog shit compared to NG2.

I've never made any assumptions and have stated my opinions why I prefer the games and because of this I'm insulted. lol @ that.

The FGC has nothing on the bullshit being spewed in this thread. Fuck everybody who thinks they have the "right" opinion.

On another note, I just bought NG3 on Wii and :( :( :(.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Im not going to call out names but I find it extremely interesting that the same people who have really shitty opinions in the DMC and DmC threads are also equally worth ignoring in the Ninja Gaiden threads.

I just think it's funny that it's always the same people having this same argument with each other in every thread making the same points.

Basically it comes down to if you like or dislike the removal of enemies in NGS2 as the linchpin of both arguments seems to be based around that ("Better balanced" vs *Chapter 11-14 comparison video*)

jns

I just think it's funny that it's always the same people having this same argument with each other in every thread making the same points.

Basically it comes down to if you like or dislike the removal of enemies in NGS2 as the linchpin of both arguments seems to be based around that ("Better balanced" vs *Chapter 11-14 comparison video*)

I personally think it comes down to much more than the removal of enemies but in my experience, NG2 fans and NGS2 fans will never agree or concede.

I feel like this is an argument I've had so many times in real life and on the internet that I know it backwards. As long as we all agree that NG3 was a piece of shit all the NG2 and NGS2 stuff is like arguing porsche vs ferrari.

FYI I was dumb enough to buy NG3 on 360 at launch. I haven't tried any of the dlc weapons, so I might be tempted to re-buy if a complete package comes to 360/ps3 but I sure as hell will be listening to a few more opinions first.

Skilletor

I personally think it comes down to much more than the removal of enemies but in my experience, NG2 fans and NGS2 fans will never agree or concede.

I feel like this is an argument I've had so many times in real life and on the internet that I know it backwards. As long as we all agree that NG3 was a piece of shit all the NG2 and NGS2 stuff is like arguing porsche vs ferrari.

FYI I was dumb enough to buy NG3 on 360 at launch. I haven't tried any of the dlc weapons, so I might be tempted to re-buy if a complete package comes to 360/ps3 but I sure as hell will be listening to a few more opinions first.

Yeah, I'm an NG fan. I like NG2 and NGS2. I like one more than the other.

People seem way too invested into these games to start slinging insults about a person's skill based on a preference over one or the other.

goldenpp72

NG2 is better than Sigma 2, I own and have completed both. While Sigma 2 did indeed clean up some of the problems, it added some of its own. It's not a grand canyon difference but the original is superior. For anyone who would claim I didn't beat both, I have the same gamertag/ID on both systems more or less, and in the 360 versions case, I have every single achievement possible (even the mission mode stuff) so I definitely can say I put a lot of investment into the game.

Unfortunately NG3 was one of my most anticipated games and it turned out to be shit, I was hopeful of razors edge but have not played it yet, so I will see what this version is all about before bothering.

MechaX

I don't think you want to pull the "they probably never played it card" with hardcore NG fans. Hell, look at iconoclast essentially suffering through NG3.

The biggest problem about NG2 v NGS2 debates is that NGS2 made improvements in areas that the NG2 fans were not really expecting. In my personal opinion, stabilizing the frame rate is good. But essentially making huge portions of chapters ghost towns (return to Hayabusa Village, I'm looking at you) is not a good way to resolve things. Taking out shit bosses like the tunnel worm is all good, but not at the expense of adding in GoW Giant Statute bosses or fighting bosses with worse characters than Ryu (RACHEL). I can understand taking out IS ninja spamming to make the game more balanced, but why did Team Ninja throw all of that out of the window by having enemies do one-hit grab kills on higher difficulties?

NGS2 should have been better than NG2 Vanilla, but most fans feel as if the improvements made were in areas that were already strong in NG2 or areas that didn't really need it. And the team does this at the expense of content from Vanilla at that, when an improvement should have kept everything from the prior release that was good (ToV and Windmill Shuriken).

I think the issues with NGS2 run deeper than that.

I don't however think it is inherently worse, just the changes do not make the game any better than vanilla NG2.

NGS2 isnt more balanced, its more tedious. It is not however, a bad game.

This is setting a very dangerous precedent of releasing an incomplete game, then releasing the full game later down the road to collect more money

you haven't heard of Capcom, have you?

OmegaZero

This is all that needs to be said about the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VDAiYc_sy8A#t=127s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VDAiYc_sy8A#t=266s

They took a butcher knife to a game that only needed some minor fixing.

Agreed that NG2 and NGBlack are the definitive versions, but if I'm remember correctly, Chapter 11 (14 in NGS2) was the only that was neutered that badly.

EDIT2: To clarify, not saying that the other chapters are the same, just that 11 is the most extreme example.

dan2026

I never understood where they dialed back the gore in Sigma 2.

It was literally the best (out of not very many) improvement from Black to II.

'We took it out to improve the framerate' is a load of bull.

SkylineRKR

NG2 was built around obliteration techniques as enemies would be dangerous when losing a limb... so the gore made sense. With that it didn't make sense that blood was removed from NGS2. The dismemberments just lacked kick... they looked silly. Like slashing plastic puppets.

OmegaZero

That actually could be the reason.
And I remember Hayashi saying they took it out to focus on the "coolness" of Ninja Gaiden or something like that.
EDIT: Ah, here's the Digital Foundry face-off.

Digital Foundry said:
In short, it's the stuff of nightmares for anyone looking to convert the game onto PlayStation 3 using traditional porting techniques. Here, the vertex-processing capabilities of the hardware are simply not a match for the Xbox 360 without some seriously hardcore coding modifications. The lashings of transparent alpha effects on the 360 code, in the form of gratuitously over-the-top blood-letting, are handled without much complaint. It's a different story for PS3, where bandwidth is at a premium. Compared to the NVIDIA 7800GTX the chip architecture is based on, RSX has half the amount of in-built Raster Operation units (ROPS) and no eDRAM to make up the difference in terms of bandwidth and fill-rate.

On another note, I just bought NG3 on Wii and :( :( :(.

How bad/good is it?

rvy

Banned

Hayashit. That's why.

dan2026

That actually could be the reason.
And I remember Hayashi saying they took it out to focus on the "coolness" of Ninja Gaiden or something like that.

Hayashi is the 'we want you to feel the sword on bone' guy who did NGIII?
I feel no sorrow in saying that guy is a hack.

rvy

Banned
I've always wondered why there hasn't been a Muramasa mission in NG. Totally missing a trick.

They mindraped Itagaki. Took away his Armageddon DVD and burned all his Aerosmith CDs. Then got a lady to sue him for sexual harassment. This is why there's no Muramasa game. Or mission. Whatever.
Tecmo can go eat a dick.

OmegaZero

I personally don't miss the blood. It had just as much as an effect on gameplay as the purple mist (outside of framerate issues, perhaps).
I do wish they'd add it back in Sigma 2 Plus or the Ninja Gaiden Sigma
1080p Next-Gen
HD Collection so people would stop complaining.

EDIT:
I've always wondered why there hasn't been a Muramasa mission in NG. Totally missing a trick.

I've always wanted this too.

Top Bottom