• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition |OT| Delays, patches, and bugs on bugs

Chris R

Ah the description only shows up once you have fully filled out the memorize section for that level. Before that all a long tap does is add the spell to be memorized. Still doesn't help me pick spells outside of the book but I guess I'll memorize (hah) the icons in due time.

PFD

Is there no way to see what a spell will do from the cast or memorize windows? On an iPad, tried taps and long taps and got nothing.

In your spell book, long tap on the original spell, not the memorized spell, to get your description.

AEREC

On iPad the game really does feel like a sloppy port of the PC version...they really needed to make adjustments for touch screen devices. There's still PC options (references to mouse and keyboard settings) in the game that are grayed out. My main problems are:

-Touch sensitivity (I just want to scroll the map but end up telling the group tp go to a location).

-frustrating targeting...it seems theres no way to confirm you are attacking something until you unpause the game and wait for the dialogue that says so.

-small text selection...a few times Ive hit the wrong response because the choices are so close together and already small.

They really should have tweaked this more for the iPad.

Vortex566

On iPad the game really does feel like a sloppy port of the PC version...they really needed to make adjustments for touch screen devices. There's still PC options in the game that are grayed out. My main problems are:

-Touch sensitivity (I just want to scroll the map but end up telling the group tp go to a location).

-frustrating targeting...it seems theres no way to confirm you are attacking something until you unpause the game and wait for the dialogue that says so.

-small text selection...a few times Ive hit the wrong response because the choices are so close together and already small.

I've stopped playing it because of this.

nickcv

I just watched the new intro cinematic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfgFZATd5E

They really ruined it. They cut the part where the guy offers to reveal "others" in exchange for his life, which is a pretty important bit. Also, the new animation is worse than the now 14 year old original cinematic.

While I agree on the dialogue being omitted, I disagree about the original cinematic. I looks positively prehistoric, and I don't think it would leave a good impression on someone who's just picked up the game and isn't nostalgic about it. The sort of motion comic style is fairly prevalent these days.

A long tap on a spell in the spell book will give you the description. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

they shouldn't have omitted any dialogue, and i really think that the old intro ended better.
in the new intro the blood of the dead man is like 10 liters and that's ridiculus, in the old intro there was just an handful of blood, touching the letters in the ground forming the word "Baldur's Gate".

is the Mac Version out? any thoughts on that?

Remmy2112

I may be mistaken but I believe that has been how the game has functioned in all versions. BG 1/2/ToB, normal release, GoG, and enhanced edition. You pause the game, click to attack something or use a spell on a target and you won't get feedback that the order went through until you unpause. But I could be mistaken. It has been years since I played BG2, and way longer since BG 1.

Lancehead

they shouldn't have omitted any dialogue, and i really think that the old intro ended better.
in the new intro the blood of the dead man is like 10 liters and that's ridiculus, in the old intro there was just an handful of blood, touching the letters in the ground forming the word "Baldur's Gate".

Blood splatter, grimdark, mature etc. - reminds of Dragon Age.

AllenShrz

Fuck this game, I truly cant control well my party on battles.

I dont have the time for this garbage.

Money down the drain.

On iPad the game really does feel like a sloppy port of the PC version...they really needed to make adjustments for touch screen devices. There's still PC options (references to mouse and keyboard settings) in the game that are grayed out. My main problems are:

The mouse and keyboard references alone are a deal breaker for me. Sloppy.

AEREC

I may be mistaken but I believe that has been how the game has functioned in all versions. BG 1/2/ToB, normal release, GoG, and enhanced edition. You pause the game, click to attack something or use a spell on a target and you won't get feedback that the order went through until you unpause. But I could be mistaken. It has been years since I played BG2, and way longer since BG 1.

Right but with the mouse it's easier to know what you clicked on. So many times ive clicked on an enemy is this and registers as a command to walk to and stand in front of the enemy.

Geoff9920

In the iPad version there is a small icon that appears at the top right of a character's picture which lets you know if a character is attacking / using a spell. You'll see either the weapon icon or the icon of the spell being cast. Other than that there isn't much feedback.

painey

I bought BG back in the day (7 CD-Roms!) and never got past the first 10 minutes, and im having the same problems on this new version. It just seems like an old game, with lots of annoying niggles. By comparison I could play Arcanum and Planescape today with no troubles

Ledsen

I bought BG back in the day (7 CD-Roms!) and never got past the first 10 minutes, and im having the same problems on this new version. It just seems like an old game, with lots of annoying niggles. By comparison I could play Arcanum and Planescape today with no troubles

But BG is a way smoother experience than Arcanum from what I've seen/heard.

AEREC

In the iPad version there is a small icon that appears at the top right of a character's picture which lets you know if a character is attacking / using a spell. You'll see either the weapon icon or the icon of the spell being cast. Other than that there isn't much feedback.

Even that isn't instant feedback. I've clicked on an enemy and 5 seconds later the icon you are referring to might show up.

railGUN

Banned
Even that isn't instant feedback. I've clicked on an enemy and 5 seconds later the icon you are referring to might show up.

That's not been my experience. Click on player weapon, click on enemy and symbol (arrow, sword etc.) appears on portrait (instantly). Also, sometimes the player will say something, but not always. For me, I click weapon, click enemy and listen for acknowledgement, if I don't get one, then I check portrait for weapon symbol.

Edit: also, I find that clicking on the "bottom" of things is the best way to get it to respond. For example, if there is loot on the ground, I click on the bottom part of the loot. For chests, I try to click the bottom of the chest, etc. It's certainly not optimal, and I'm looking forward to a patch to address these issues, but I'm getting by pretty good now.

Giolon

Does it start out slow? Yes. If you've only spent 10 minutes, you've not even made it through the "tutorial" prologue area, which can be sped through in about that amount of time if you know where to go. While there is a decent story and mystery to unravel as you go, it's a fairly standard, classic low level D&D adventure (particularly in comparison to its better sequel).

If that sounds of interest to you, then I'd advise sticking with it a bit longer than 10 minutes. Chill out and explore, talk to people and immerse yourself in the world and characters you meet (and you will meet them before too long). If it doesn't, then maybe come back and give BG2 a try. It's a bit more exciting from the getgo.

Pewp

Edit: also, I find that clicking on the "bottom" of things is the best way to get it to respond. For example, if there is loot on the ground, I click on the bottom part of the loot. For chests, I try to click the bottom of the chest, etc. It's certainly not optimal, and I'm looking forward to a patch to address these issues, but I'm getting by pretty good now.

Yes, always tap on the feet or where their circles will be, it'll make battles a lot easier to manage.

Tash

Wow, I didn't remember HOW slow the game was.
I love it though simply for the fact that I can choose the Swashbuckler class. I loved playing that class with the later PnP rulesets.

A colleague of mine told me he's been playing on the iPad with his daughter on PC and that it works really well.
So cool :)

Going through doors and picking up loot may be dealbreakers for me playing this through on iPad. I got stuck in the general store in Nashkel for 5 minutes just trying to leave. Fuck.

Minsc

Gold Member
Going through doors and picking up loot may be dealbreakers for me playing this through on iPad. I got stuck in the general store in Nashkel for 5 minutes just trying to leave. Fuck.

They've addressed this (or something like it, things being hard to select/pick up) and a new version with better targets for this stuff is supposed to be at review by Apple right now for approval.

Trent Oster said:
The "Smart Radius" is a direct fix for the iPad issues people have mentioned. Now it just needs to sit at Apple for a week

ekim

I'm sure it was mentioned here - but can I somehow fix/tweak the scroll/walk issue? (in 50% my char moves when I release my finger after scrolling - I just wanted to scroll though)

ekim

You are right. :)

Giolon

Big patch for PC went up last night, including restoration of the Nietzsche quote and dialogue from the original intro cutscene.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12383/game-update-1-0-2011/p1

@TrentOster also confirmed that the next iPad build is in Apple approvals, and will probably take a week to show up, plus the Mac build is in the Mac App store (and Mac apps take about two weeks to get throu approvals)

Edit: In other news, @TrentOster announced via Twitter that he had signed a deal for a Linux version, but was awaiting counter-signature.

Xander51

I picked this up last night and for all the weirdness it has gone through at launch, I'm still having a blast with it. I've never finished any of the Infinity Engine games before, but this game is finally clicking with me. The new character/dialogue stuff is more produced than I expected it to be.

ParityBit

What class did you guys pick? I am playing a fighter/Mage (he has 4 18's one of which is an 18/100 str!). I use him as a fighter right now but I plan on going one handed badass once I get some elven chain.....hopefully. My party is very fighter light though :(. Wonder if I should stick with my plan. I dunno..... Anyways. How about you?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Fighter/Mage is awesome, it's my favourite muticlass along with a ranger/cleric.

Use spells like sleep, glitter dust, horror then chopchop, once you get spells like stone skin, improved invisibility ect you become a badass tank who can also slaughter army's.

ParityBit

Fighter/Mage is awesome, it's my favourite muticlass along with a ranger/cleric.

Use spells like sleep, glitter dust, horror then chopchop, once you get spells like stone skin, improved invisibility ect you become a badass tank who can also slaughter army's.

Do you wear armor? I am wearing chain so I can h2h but i cant cast spells. Only level 1 though

AEREC

Looking forward to the smart radius fix...really hope it makes this game enjoyable. If it doesnt work I will most likely throw more money at them for the PC version.

Lancehead

Looking forward to the smart radius fix...really hope it makes this game enjoyable. If it doesnt work I will most likely throw more money at them for the PC version.

Why would you do that? Is the extra content really worth $20? Not to mention it has problems that were already solved for years. Amusingly ironic, that.

AEREC

Why would you do that? Is the extra content really worth $20? Not to mention it has problems that were already solved for years. Amusingly ironic, that.

Cause I want to play it...and it's currently unplayable for me on iPad. I also hate dealing with mods for any game. So having an official versions with most updates (widescreen resolution, etc...) is better for me.

ParityBit

Cause I want to play it...and it's currently unplayable for me on iPad. I also hate dealing with mods for any game. So having an official versions with most updates (widescreen resolution, etc...) is better for me.

I don't know.....I think the hit box is overblown. At worst I have to zoom in and walk away from the spot and tap once or maybe twice to get treasure.
Entering and leaving buildings/ stairs is not an issue really because when I double tap it mostly works on the first try. I auto pause when I see an enemy and then I zoom in when I attack to make sure I get the correct monsters. Plus when I select a monster the icon of the weapon appears over the character picture so I know they will attack.

I am loving this on my iPad!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I figure I might as well be posting my impressions in here rather than the iOS thread that's now deep in christmas fever. Those of you that have seen my posts over there will know that I'm a BG (and really, cRPG) noob who's been excited to play this game for some time now. The first few hours were very hard, the game is unforgiving and I do think it's severely unbalanced and hard to get into. Luckily, I was raised in an age where we'd persevere and so I stuck with it, knowing that with all the praise it gets there must be something good underneath all the arcane systems and menus.

And godamn how right was I?? This game is amazing, easily one of the best things I've played this year. Once I got over the initial uncertainties of putting my team together and get a few levels on my characters the game really started to open up and become more fun. While some of the starting areas are way too hard for a lvl 1 character to be going into, it's very rewarding to come back in a few hours and kick the crap out of everything there.

But even now the game's not a cakewalk at all. I'm currently level 5 and working my way through some of the sword coast maps as well as the Cloakwood, trying to find a mine, and I still have to tread very very carefully. The Sirens by the coast would ruin my team in second with confusion spells, so I had to make careful use of my archers to dirupt the spell-casting to even have a chance of getting my heavy hitters in there. And I just fought a big fat spider queen and all her babies, a fight that took me at least 10 reloads to beat (thank god for my fireball spell and sleep!). But I love it. I love how tactical the hard fights need to be, it's not just 'select all, batter baddie', there are some fights where I'm using every trick in my bag and they're hard won.

I think I need to pick up a cleric/druid pretty soon, I lost Jaheira early in the game when I didn't know exactly what I was doing. It's not so bad though, I just rarely let my characters die (maybe if we're fighting a boss and I know I can get to a town to res soon), and I think that spell-healing in a battle is a bit worthless anyway, it takes far too long to be of any use.

So yeah, having loads of fun with this, despite the obvious bugs on the iOS version. They're not gamebreaking at all, and hopefully patches will sort it out soon.

Anyone else playing this game foer the first time, and if so how are you finding it?

Ledsen

I figure I might as well be posting my impressions in here rather than the iOS thread that's now deep in christmas fever. Those of you that have seen my posts over there will know that I'm a BG (and really, cRPG) noob who's been excited to play this game for some time now. The first few hours were very hard, the game is unforgiving and I do think it's severely unbalanced and hard to get into. Luckily, I was raised in an age where we'd persevere and so I stuck with it, knowing that with all the praise it gets there must be something good underneath all the arcane systems and menus.

And godamn how right was I?? This game is amazing, easily one of the best things I've played this year. Once I got over the initial uncertainties of putting my team together and get a few levels on my characters the game really started to open up and become more fun. While some of the starting areas are way too hard for a lvl 1 character to be going into, it's very rewarding to come back in a few hours and kick the crap out of everything there.

But even now the game's not a cakewalk at all. I'm currently level 5 and working my way through some of the sword coast maps as well as the Cloakwood, trying to find a mine, and I still have to tread very very carefully. The Sirens by the coast would ruin my team in second with confusion spells, so I had to make careful use of my archers to dirupt the spell-casting to even have a chance of getting my heavy hitters in there. And I just fought a big fat spider queen and all her babies, a fight that took me at least 10 reloads to beat (thank god for my fireball spell and sleep!). But I love it. I love how tactical the hard fights need to be, it's not just 'select all, batter baddie', there are some fights where I'm using every trick in my bag and they're hard won.

I think I need to pick up a cleric/druid pretty soon, I lost Jaheira early in the game when I didn't know exactly what I was doing. It's not so bad though, I just rarely let my characters die (maybe if we're fighting a boss and I know I can get to a town to res soon), and I think that spell-healing in a battle is a bit worthless anyway, it takes far too long to be of any use.

So yeah, having loads of fun with this, despite the obvious bugs on the iOS version. They're not gamebreaking at all, and hopefully patches will sort it out soon.

Anyone else playing this game foer the first time, and if so how are you finding it?

If you like this game, you'll be ecstatic about BG2. Holy shit is it an improvement.

hint on where you can find a cleric, if you haven't found this one already
check out the fair by Nashkel

I'm so glad to hear you like it, really.

Anyway in-battle healing via spells is CRITICAL in BG games. Some of the later fights or the ones in BG2... I cannot imagine doing them without a Cleric. Jaheira saved my ass so many times with that shitty Minor Healing spell.

There is a huge difference between 0 HP and 1 HP after the fight ends. The difference of reloading :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you like this game, you'll be ecstatic about BG2. Holy shit is it an improvement.

Can't wait :) I'm glad I played this first though, I actually like the slow pace of it, it's a good way to work into the game systems. Currently attacking Durlag's Tower, this is really scary, the first two guards nearly took me out in one go...

Might have to go get this Cleric then... I don't know who to drop - Khalid or Xan. Khalid is annoying and not quite as hard hitting as he should be, but Xan is always a liability and has some crap spells compared to my other mage who is a beast. I only really use him for identiying stuff.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've just gotten to Baldur's Gate itself after taking out the Cloakwood mine - does anyone know approx how far through the game I am? I honestly have no idea how much there is to do, although I suspect I'm not even to the halfway point yet.

Still have no dedicated healer, I make do fairly well with my PC's two healing spells and a bunch of potions. I'm level 6 across the board now and I felt really powerful going through that mine, I'm taking out mages left right and centre now, it's very satisfying. And I like it how the game lulls you into a false sense of security before doing something horrible, like having a cave full of Mandrakes or giant spiders.

I feel my attacking mage is really coming into her own now too, the AoE spells are super useful and I really like the double-edged sword aspect of using them, missing from the newer Dragon Age games. You have to be supercareful with your mages and I like that dangerous aspect of using them.

Now to spend the afternoon exploring Baldur's Gate!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Team Gaf,

Where are we at with the iPad version? Have any of the complaints been addressed yet?

The Baldur's Gate Saga would have to be close to my favourite ever gaming experience.

Having played it from start to finish multiple times I am just not sure if I can pull the trigger on this. Simply put, it seems wasteful when there are newer games that I am yet to play.

I've just gotten to Baldur's Gate itself after taking out the Cloakwood mine - does anyone know approx how far through the game I am? I honestly have no idea how much there is to do, although I suspect I'm not even to the halfway point yet.

Yep, you have lots of gameplay time left plus all the expansion pack content. I'm jealous of those who get to play BG for the first time.

That said, every time you roll a new character or have a different party composition it changes your experience with the game. Including your approaches to the fantastic strategic combat.

Giolon

Hi Team Gaf,

Where are we at with the iPad version? Have any of the complaints been addressed yet?

New build with smart tap radius (helps with target selection, looting and area transitions) and performance fixes for spells like Entangle and iOS 5.1 support is nearly ready, but now the App store is closed for the holidays so we'll have to wait until January for it.

That said, what issues there are haven't stopped me or my friends from having a blast with the iOS version. I can deal with the few little issues for the sake of playing BG on my iPad anywhere at any time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hi Team Gaf,

The Baldur's Gate Saga would have to be close to my favourite ever gaming experience.

Having played it from start to finish multiple times I am just not sure if I can pull the trigger on this. Simply put, it seems wasteful when there are newer games that I am yet to play.

Yep, you have lots of gameplay time left plus all the expansion pack content. I'm jealous of those who get to play BG for the first time.

That said, every time you roll a new character or have a different party composition it changes your experience with the game. Including your approaches to the fantastic strategic combat.

I actually just finished the game tonight. There was probably another 10-15 hours once I reached Baldur's Gate. In all it was an excellent game, I had so much fun exploring the environments and pitting myself against the sometimes very tough enemies. The last fight especially was really hard, the mages tore me apart. I only managed to defeat Sarevok by luring him down and hacking away at him. Still, was do-able.

One massive let down was the ending itself though. Sarevok goes down and a textbox pops up saying that He's defeated, that's it. Then another one comes up saying a final save has been made and the character is ready for exporting. And that's it. No ending film, no 'the end'. It just went back to menu. Was rather an anticlimax after working so hard to beat the game. I had a terrific time along the way but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I might well re-roll and play next year before BGII, and the Black Pits are still there to play through too, and the combat is actually a fun part of the game, much to my surprise after initial impressions.

So yeah, all good. I'm in the club now, I want more of these games.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I actually just finished the game tonight. There was probably another 10-15 hours once I reached Baldur's Gate. In all it was an excellent game, I had so much fun exploring the environments and pitting myself against the sometimes very tough enemies. The last fight especially was really hard, the mages tore me apart. I only managed to defeat Sarevok by luring him down and hacking away at him. Still, was do-able.

One massive let down was the ending itself though. Sarevok goes down and a textbox pops up saying that He's defeated, that's it. Then another one comes up saying a final save has been made and the character is ready for exporting. And that's it. No ending film, no 'the end'. It just went back to menu. Was rather an anticlimax after working so hard to beat the game. I had a terrific time along the way but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I might well re-roll and play next year before BGII, and the Black Pits are still there to play through too, and the combat is actually a fun part of the game, much to my surprise after initial impressions.

Did you do the Tales of Sword Coast content? Durlag's Tower is one of the best Dungeons in the series.

P.s I purchased the iPad version. Enjoying it (I rolled a Bard because I have never done that before), currently stuck in a Beregost house. That is to say, I keep tapping around the door but cannot find the exit...

P.p.s Congrats!

Jarate

Banned
So guys, is this game worth getting the ipad version, or should I just get something like a GOG to play the game?

Vaporak

There was supposed to be an ending cinematic.

Top Bottom