• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

NeonZ
Member
(12-05-2012, 06:29 PM)
NeonZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by omonimo

Probably Nintendo will be saved again to his country. I see the world slice in US for Microsoft, EU sony & Japan Nintendo in the next future.

Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world (like Square and Capcom), the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.
omonimo
Member
(12-05-2012, 06:32 PM)
omonimo's Avatar

Originally Posted by NeonZ

Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world, the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.

Sorry, but isn't it the same situation for the 3DS? Hardware goes very well in Japan, but outside 'urgh'; in any case hardware continues to sell in Japan. Japan, I beg to say, is a complete different galaxy with a total independent ecosystem.
Canis lupus
Junior Member
(12-05-2012, 06:34 PM)
Canis lupus's Avatar

Originally Posted by flawfuls

Because Fate/zero was never a game so there is nothing to port.

Then there should be a Fate/Zero game because the anime is so much superior to SN.
Snakeyes
Member
(12-05-2012, 06:34 PM)
Snakeyes's Avatar

Originally Posted by omonimo

The console has a perfect fit for the hotaku people, japanese seem appreciate more this kind of 'innovation'.

If you look at the software lineups, you'll see that Vita is much more of an otaku console than the 3DS (or Wii U for that matter).
Last edited by Snakeyes; 12-05-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Hero
Member
(12-05-2012, 06:54 PM)
Hero's Avatar
Should be an insane month for 3DS software and hardware. Curious how Wii U will do.

Also what the hell is Level 5 thinking shipping that many units. They are truly crazy.
frankie_baby
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero

Should be an insane month for 3DS software and hardware. Curious how Wii U will do.

Also what the hell is Level 5 thinking shipping that many units. They are truly crazy.

We don't know how many they shipped
donny2112
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Interesting to note the minimal difference between the tackers on monhun, must mean the bundle (which famitsu includes and mc don't) probably only sold less than 1k this week

MC includes the bundle with sales of the original game. Famitsu includes the bundle with sales of the BEST re-release.
michaelius
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:29 PM)

Originally Posted by omonimo

Sorry, but isn't it the same situation for the 3DS? Hardware goes very well in Japan, but outside 'urgh'; in any case hardware continues to sell in Japan. Japan, I beg to say, is a complete different galaxy with a total independent ecosystem.

Independent ecosystem for games which cost few milions.
frankie_baby
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:29 PM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

MC includes the bundle with sales of the original game. Famitsu includes the bundle with sales of the BEST re-release.

Yeah I know, so with famitsu reporting mh a tiny bit higher it implies the bundle only sold a tiny bit
donny2112
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Yeah I know, so with famitsu reporting mh a tiny bit higher it implies the bundle only sold a tiny bit

That's assuming that without the bundle, we'd have Famitsu = MC, which isn't a safe assumption, at all. Don't try to read too much into too little.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(12-05-2012, 07:31 PM)
AniHawk's Avatar

Originally Posted by NeonZ

Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world (like Square and Capcom), the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.

nintendo seems key on some big partnerships. capcom for monster hunter, square enix for dragon quest, namco bandai for smash bros., tecmo for a lot of stuff. they're in a better place this generation to ask for support, although it mainly benefits japanese audiences.
frankie_baby
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

That's assuming that without the bundle, we'd have Famitsu = MC, which isn't a safe assumption, at all. Don't try to read too much into too little.

Oh yes I do know that even we assume a more noticeable discrepancy between trackers we're looking at a fairly negligible amount
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(12-05-2012, 07:44 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar
Namco Bandai:Vita::Capcom:Gamecube. It's not a perfect analogy, since Bamco's biggest Vita titles aren't exclusive, but as TGS suggested and as the subsequent ToHr and OP:PW announcements back up, it's fairly clear that they're the only major Japanese third party still on board with Vita to any significant extent.

As for Wii U: I still think we'll get some more Japanese third-party announcements before the end of the year, but if we don't, I can only conclude that something has gone seriously wrong.
donny2112
Member
(12-05-2012, 07:52 PM)

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Oh yes I do know that even we assume a more noticeable discrepancy between trackers we're looking at a fairly negligible amount

Yeah, that's good. Just didn't want anyone thinking Famitsu BEST - MC BEST = bundles. Like you said, we can just say it's a fairly small amount. Were the MH bundles limited?

Originally Posted by Graphics Horse

Less than a year until Vita overtakes Xbox 360.

Vita will probably get a price cut around Soul Sacrifice (or shortly thereafter in the new FY) and be able to pass 360 maybe by June.
Last edited by donny2112; 12-05-2012 at 08:08 PM.
donny2112
Member
(12-05-2012, 08:08 PM)
Edit: Should've edited this into the previous post. :(
slaughterking
Member
(12-05-2012, 08:10 PM)
slaughterking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

Plus the AA5 announcement took a lot of wind out of its sails. You seriously couldn't have waited a few months, scumbag Capcom?

Level 5 also announced Layton 6 recently. Both of them are bullying Takumi.
electroplankton
Banned
(12-05-2012, 08:37 PM)
electroplankton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

That Pokemon game dropped 60%. Can that be labeled as a big disappointment now?

No.
Let's wait the end of the holiday season.
Remember that both this and this were labeled as huge bombs after the first two weeks (in particular the second... And look how it sold the last weeks of the year). People tend to forget that Nintendo games, in particular those targeted to kids and families, are usually quite big in this period.

Also, a factor that no one has considered: 3DS still have to have its mainline Pokémon games; indeed, on DS Mystery Dungeon saw its biggest sales in 2007, after Diamond and Pearl.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(12-05-2012, 08:43 PM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by electroplankton

No.
Let's wait the end of the holiday season.
Remember that both this and this were labeled as huge bombs after the first two weeks (in particular the second... And look how it sold the last weeks of the year). People tend to forget that Nintendo games, in particular those targeted to kids and families, are usually quite big in this period.

Also, a factor that no one has considered: 3DS still have to have its mainline Pokémon games; indeed, on DS Mystery Dungeon saw its biggest sales in 2007, after Diamond and Pearl.

So you're intentionally ignoring the fact that this game is down hugely compared to the DS entries, and is even behind the GBA port on DS? The GBA DS port didn't have a mainline Pokemon to back it up either. As I said in the last thread, it may crawl to a decent haul after a few months, but it'll be down considerably from any previous entry in the franchise.
electroplankton
Banned
(12-05-2012, 08:46 PM)
electroplankton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Takao

So you're intentionally ignoring the fact that this game is down hugely compared to the DS entries, and is even behind the GBA port on DS? The GBA DS port didn't have a mainline Pokemon to back it up either. As I said in the last thread, it may crawl to a decent haul after a few months, but it'll be down considerably from any previous entry in the franchise.

No.
I'm saying that while declining, it cannot be called a "big disappointment" yet. First, it's not the mainline series; second, it's a cheap spin-off targeted to kids that are not used to buy the first day or the first week, therefore sales will be smooth over time; third, we're in the holiday season, you remember how Nintendo games tend to increase in the last weeks of the year, right? Fourth, no one is saying it will be among the best selling entries in the series, nor it will sell on par with the lowest selling title in the series.

A big disappointment? No.
Hero
Member
(12-05-2012, 09:01 PM)
Hero's Avatar

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

We don't know how many they shipped

But we do know that the game sold less than 50% of it's shipment.
Bisnic
Really Really Exciting Member!
(12-05-2012, 09:04 PM)
Bisnic's Avatar
Japan sure loves 3DS.

Funny how it's nowhere like that everywhere else on the globe though.
frankie_baby
Member
(12-05-2012, 09:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero

But we do know that the game sold less than 50% of it's shipment.

Which this time of year hardly matters, should sell most if not all of it over the next few weeks
electroplankton
Banned
(12-05-2012, 09:31 PM)
electroplankton's Avatar
Btw, it's really depressing to see PS Vita entering the holiday season with barely 10k units per week.
MasterSheen
Member
(12-05-2012, 10:36 PM)
MasterSheen's Avatar
Couldn't Pokemon only having one version explain low sales compared to previous entries?
Hero
Member
(12-05-2012, 10:44 PM)
Hero's Avatar

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Which this time of year hardly matters, should sell most if not all of it over the next few weeks

That's possible and I hope it does. I want the game to come out over here. :)
MrCunningham
Banned
(12-05-2012, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by MagiusNecros

Nuff said

That should be changed to "It prints yen!".

Not that the 3DS is doing bad in other regions of the world, but the thing is on fire in Japan right now.

I can't believe that they are still selling 60K units of the original 3DS model per week.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(12-05-2012, 11:21 PM)
Mpl90's Avatar
It's not such a big indicator, sure, but I still wanted to report this

Amazon Top 10

One PS3 title ( Yakuza 5)
One Wii U title ( Mario)
One Wii title ( Taiko)
4 3DS titles ( Paper Mario, NSMB2, Pokèmon, Layton v.s. AA)
Two 3DS hardware items ( Pink XL and charger)

9/10 is Nintendo

36 items in the top 100 are 3DS related ( games and hardware)
Bladenic
Member
(12-05-2012, 11:28 PM)
Bladenic's Avatar
Wow, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney is a certified flop. Hard to believe.
MasterSheen
Member
(12-05-2012, 11:35 PM)
MasterSheen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bladenic

Wow, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney is a certified flop. Hard to believe.

Kinda early to say, no? Disappointing maybe, but certainly not a flop (yet).
frankie_baby
Member
(12-05-2012, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by MrCunningham

That should be changed to "It prints yen!".

Not that the 3DS is doing bad in other regions of the world, but the thing is on fire in Japan right now.

I can't believe that they are still selling 60K units of the original 3DS model per week.

the xl was never planned as a revision/replacement for the original 3ds, they were both intended to sell alongside each other
metalslimer
Member
(12-05-2012, 11:39 PM)
metalslimer's Avatar
I don't see how you could call it a flop. It's probably going to underperform to expectations when they came up with this partnership, but it will sell well throughout the holidays.
Nekki
Member
(12-06-2012, 12:22 AM)
Nekki's Avatar
There's only one person talking so much about pokemon "bombing"...

Truth be told, it's a game with expected legs. It's underperforming, yes, but we can't call it a bomb yet.

That 3DS holdup is great, Nintendo must be really happy.

And Vita, while not selling much hardware at all, looks to have a good week software-wise. If only this was one of those "not much going on" weeks on a healthy platform, rather than its best week in a long time.
RyougaSaotome
Member
(12-06-2012, 12:27 AM)
RyougaSaotome's Avatar
Wow. Fate/Stay night did about 25,000 units more than I was expecting. For a game that's very barely an update, what a pleasant surprise! Granted, I'm one of those 30,000. Hahaha.

Atelier Totori also did much better too, considering it's a slightly enhanced port.
jman2050
Member
(12-06-2012, 12:30 AM)
jman2050's Avatar

Originally Posted by RyougaSaotome

Wow. Fate/Stay night did about 25,000 units more than I was expecting. For a game that's very barely an update, what a pleasant surprise! Granted, I'm one of those 30,000. Hahaha.

Atelier Totori also did much better too, considering it's a slightly enhanced port.

Guaranteed Type-Moon fanbase. It probably would have sold 30,000 no matter what platform it was on.
test_account
XP-39C²
(12-06-2012, 12:34 AM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mpl90

It's not such a big indicator, sure, but I still wanted to report this

Amazon Top 10

One PS3 title ( Yakuza 5)
One Wii U title ( Mario)
One Wii title ( Taiko)
4 3DS titles ( Paper Mario, NSMB2, Pokèmon, Layton v.s. AA)
Two 3DS hardware items ( Pink XL and charger)

9/10 is Nintendo

36 items in the top 100 are 3DS related ( games and hardware)

Full top 100:

3DS = 37
PS3 = 24
Vita = 10
WiiU = 9
Wii = 9
PSP = 6
DS = 4
Xbox 360 = 1

:)
Bladenic
Member
(12-06-2012, 01:21 AM)
Bladenic's Avatar

Originally Posted by MasterSheen

Kinda early to say, no? Disappointing maybe, but certainly not a flop (yet).

Yeah I was kind of joking/exagerrating, but those first week sales are definitely weak. It could have good legs, especially with the holidays.
StreetsAhead
Member
(12-06-2012, 01:24 AM)
StreetsAhead's Avatar
Mentioned it in the release thread, but the Aeon in my town had Nintendo Land/NSMBU boxes up for display, I tried to pull the 'dumb foreigner' but they wouldn't sell them to me.

This store (city is ~215,000) has 24 premium and 12 basic packs for sale on Saturday. 'Tickets' for 'first come, first serve' customer given out between 9:00 and 9:15, on sale from 10:00.
cj_iwakura
Member
(12-06-2012, 01:25 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Fingers crossed for a localization of Realta Nua. Come on Aksys!
ohlawd
Member
(12-06-2012, 01:27 AM)
ohlawd's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

Fingers crossed for a localization of Realta Nua. Come on Aksys!

lol never ever never ever going to happen.
lunchwithyuzo
Banned
(12-06-2012, 02:12 AM)
Checking Garaph, it seems Taiko's not only the best selling debut on Wii, it's the best selling debut for the series ever. Better than all the PS2, PSP, DS and 3DS installments too.
May16
(12-06-2012, 03:40 AM)

Originally Posted by omonimo

Why Wiiu U is not out yet in japan?

Timing.
In both NA and Japan (can't say for Europe), the Wii-U is being released riiiight before the biggest sales weeks of the year. Japan doesn't have a "Black Friday" so there is no annual guaranteed HUGE November sales crush like there is in North America. Their holiday boost comes much closer to the actual end of the year/New Year's vacation.

In seemingly all territories, the strategy is to launch right before the big sales spike -- not unlike attacking a weak point for presumed massive damage.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(12-06-2012, 03:44 AM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by StreetsAhead

Mentioned it in the release thread, but the Aeon in my town had Nintendo Land/NSMBU boxes up for display, I tried to pull the 'dumb foreigner' but they wouldn't sell them to me.

This store (city is ~215,000) has 24 premium and 12 basic packs for sale on Saturday. 'Tickets' for 'first come, first serve' customer given out between 9:00 and 9:15, on sale from 10:00.

Monster Hunter bundle included in the premium count?
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(12-06-2012, 03:46 AM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by NeonZ

Without support of big Japanese third parties that want the world (like Square and Capcom), the Wii U won't be able to create an eco-system to support third party games in general, or even receive most of those games in the first place, and might fall rather quickly. Just look at the Wii itself, especially in Japan, where it fell much faster than worldwide - and I don't think the Wii U will repeat Wii's initial numbers anyway.

Wii 3rd party support was beyond atrocious from launch until 2009.

It isn't a very high bar, but MH 3G HD and DQX already represents better support than what Wii initially received
Yagharek
Member
(12-06-2012, 03:48 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar
So order of magnitude, 3DS is going to catch PS3 in a week, Wii in a year, PSP in 2-3 years and PS2 in 3-4 years. That's assuming each year is roughly the same as this year, which of course will be wrong.
Alrus
Member
(12-06-2012, 07:10 AM)
Alrus's Avatar
Taiko seems like a great success, I seriously didn't expect it to start this high.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon will still sell decently in the end I'm sure, but it will still be a big drop from the DS games... Wonder what happened (none of that 3D backlash ridiculousness I'm sure).

As for PL vs AA, I don't know. I'd rather wait till next week to call it a complete flop. Opening numbers aren't really that bad, and it might still sell its first shipment over the holidays.
donny2112
Member
(12-06-2012, 07:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Bisnic

Japan sure loves 3DS.

Funny how it's nowhere like that everywhere else on the globe though.

Reminds of PSP, and look what major franchise moved from PSP to 3DS this gen ...
metalslimer
Member
(12-06-2012, 07:17 AM)
metalslimer's Avatar

Originally Posted by schuelma

Wii 3rd party support was beyond atrocious from launch until 2009.

It isn't a very high bar, but MH 3G HD and DQX already represents better support than what Wii initially received

Will DQX HD do better than Swords?

That's assuming each year is roughly the same as this year, which of course will be wrong.

Next two years should actually be bigger.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-06-2012, 09:15 AM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
Oh apparently Magnagate got bad reception because it has smaller mons and the story isn't too good.
Aostia
Member
(12-06-2012, 09:40 AM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alrus

As for PL vs AA, I don't know. I'd rather wait till next week to call it a complete flop. Opening numbers aren't really that bad, and it might still sell its first shipment over the holidays.

Maybe people was expecting the cross-over to sell like Layton + AA games?

Well, wrong expectations, imho. A cross-over is a spinoff (an experiment, also) and usually this kind of game sell less than the main normal episode of a brand.
Looking at LTD AA numbers and to the "actual" Layton LTD potential I think that we have an average of 400K LTD for the main games.
If a spinoff as this will be able to sell half (that's sure with a 130k opening), would be "flat" (neither positive nor negative); if this crossover will be able to sell 250K (to me easily achievable going into holidays and looking at usual L5 Nintendo legs) would be positive; if will be able to sell 300k over it would be a very good result.

I repeat: probably some people were expecting this game to sell Layton PLUS AA in terms of LTD (800K?), or maybe people still think that Layton is an almost million seller on its own, otherwise I can't understand how it could be considered a negative debut

Of course, if it will tank next week and desappear during the holidays, it will be disappointing and underperforming.
Augemitbutter
Member
(12-06-2012, 10:53 AM)
Augemitbutter's Avatar
what happened to:

18./00. [PSP] UnchainBlades EXXiV <RPG> (FuRyu) {2012.11.29} (¥6.279) - 6.793 / NEW
19./00. [3DS] UnchainBlades EXXiV <RPG> (FuRyu) {2012.11.29} (¥6.279) - 6.645/ NEW

i believe the ratings weren't bad. makes me sad to see it tank.

Thread Tools