• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of cancelled Streets of Rage leaks, developed at Ruffian (Crackdown 2).

SeanNoonan

It looks alot better with sound

I really like the perspective as well. It's really far out and in a fixed position which sort of emulates the feeling of the side scrollling games in how much of the stage you can see and it auto adjusting with movement

Shame nothing came out of this. Probably could have been really cool with some tuning.
It's a shame we didn't show more. We had a really awesome fixed/spline based camera system with scope to have pure side scrolling levels that would smoothly blend into more typical modern action environments. There were solid plans and systems in place.

Again, it's a shame.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks pretty god for a rapid prototype. Not supposed to expect some deep AI or combat system refined from such a thing so I'm not sure where those complaints are coming from.

Clearly the game was in an alpha or beta state in that video but that actually looks pretty awesome. If they added the combat system from Sleeping Dogs and completed the game I would have definitely bought it.

Exactly what I thought, though they'd need to add way more combos and deepen the combat a bit.

derFeef

It's a shame we didn't show more. We had a really awesome fixed/spline based camera system with scope to have pure side scrolling levels that would smoothly blend into more typical modern action environments. There were solid plans and systems in place.

Again, it's a shame.

Aww, that's sad to hear, sounded promising. Was that the reason you moved away from Ruffian? I kinda missed the news you left anyway.

After Streets of Rage Remake, I never felt the need for another SoR game. It seems like the ultimate version, with all the best ideas from each game(the police call from SoR1, the dash/dynamic pace of combat/meter gauge from SoR3, all the levels from the respective games including some new ones); I really do think it's the best 2d beat'em'up I've ever played.

Mr. X is dead, everybody went on about their lives, it's a great game, The End

sor3_end7a6.gif

NinjaBoiX

I know it could never play as well as Streets Of Rage 2 but, after seeing that video, I really want it.
I recently replayed SoR2, and I forgot how fundamentally broken those types of games are.

Having to step a few pixels up or down for your fists to connect is so fucking awkward. I mean, it's still fun to play in a nostalgia kind of way, but it's hot garbage by today's standards.

Some things just don't age well!

Mit-

Take the same thing, make it more colorful, less gritty, and even more 80s/90s, and I would've been onboard. Especially if it was 2+ players. No voice acting either. Just character noises.

I'm sure the gameplay would've been infinitely refined over what was shown. I just would've liked to see a little more character, and less darkness and grit.

This doesn't seem like it's very difficult to do right, and then sell on PSN/XBLA.

After Streets of Rage Remake, I never felt the need for another SoR game. It seems like the ultimate version, with all the best ideas from each game(the police call from SoR1, the dash/dynamic pace of combat/meter gauge from SoR3, all the levels from the respective games including some new ones); I really do think it's the best 2d beat'em'up I've ever played.

sor3_end7a6.gif

is this thing playable yet/again? i remember not being able to dl and play it because of legal issues or some such....and change?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
This looks a lot better than Crackdown 2 and quite promising for a prototype.

Vorg

Banned

http://soronline.net/img/sor3/sor3_end7a6.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wish they'd just release Remake as a downloadable title. Do it, Sega!

Marcel

sor3_end7a6.gif

hT233.gif

I expected this to look terrible because of the comments in here, but it didn't look bad at all! I would have played the crap out of this.

The presentation was great too. I especially loved the Fringe-style text floating in the environment

And it gives it an arcadey feeling, in my opinion it looks really good to be a prealpha.

Dachande

Looks great for pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha stuff, especially by an extremely small team in 2 months, but I don't like the way the combat was going. The hits didn't seem to have a lot of impact, and it looked kind of floaty and way too fast.

Some or even most of that could be put down to the fact it's mega early work done very quickly, but it's the sort of thing that should be nailed from day 1. SoR combat has a really chunky, paced feel to it that this demo didn't seem to have.

Also not sure about the camera perspective. I think the camera needs to be angled more from the side to get that belt-scroller feel, even in 3D.

God, I dunno, one day we'll get a modern SoR that isn't a fangame...

Marcel

Personally I think it's a good thing Ruffian didn't get their hands on it or else we'd have an overdesigned Axel attacking/defending a energy collector/police station/gang hideout for set amount of time until reinforcements arrive.

Z3M0G

Streets of Rage is (quite possibly) my favorite game of all time... this was not a worthy re-imagining.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If something under the name Streets if Rage 4 was ever released, I would very much hope that it was 2D with sprites.

Streets of Rage 2 HD Remix would be amazing, although it would never happen. Sega don't seem to be that smart. Even a straight port of Streets of Rage Remake (which the poor bastards worked on for the best part of a decade before Sega decided to change their minds from "Go ahead" to "No, take it down" would have been fantastic.

Sega needs to get SoR Remake on XBLA/PSN. Its one of the best beat em up I have ever played and its loaded to the top with content. I would pay $60 for it and I already have the game installed on my OG Xbox and PC.

Santar

Seems a lot of people here don't understand that this was a pre alpha concept thrown together in just two months time by a small team.
I think it could've evolved to something nice.
I really miss the ps2 days, where not every game had to be gigantic AAA and coast millions.
We might have gotten this in that generation.

SeanNoonan

Aww, that's sad to hear, sounded promising. Was that the reason you moved away from Ruffian? I kinda missed the news you left anyway.

One of the reasons. I've been looking to move to Canada for a while, and Ubisoft seemed a good fit.

Watch Dogs will make up for losing SOR

Blueblur1

The video looked good! Granted it looked a little rough but it obviously was not a finished product. Is it confirmed that it was canceled? I hope not.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It looks to have good graphics, good speed and good sense of power/pain, make it with classic 2d gameplay, make some more original bosses and get millions!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This looks amazing....why do all the games I'd buy no questions asked get canceled most of the time ....*glances at Project Psychic 2012 PS3 placeholder on the wall* :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Eh, if this game would have turned out with one of those crazy "Next Gen" scripts full of F-bombs and swears-for-the-sake-of-it, then, glad they only got through prototype.

Crackdown 2's demo took Crackdown's story from "witty with an edge" to "sloppy written schlock" in an instant; enough for me to not want to continue the experience of one of my favorite early 360 games... would absolutely have hated to have seen a similiar fate to SoR.

So the character they show is a generic nobody with the words "Rage" on his butt. The first enemey is Over-tat'd baddy number 5000 (looking a lot like a Crackdown agent, but that's understandable). The fighting looks like the combat in an open world game, and none of the 2D-BEM inspiration seems to be involved in the movement at all, but at least the animation looks to have some character to it.

The Sega Arcade Intro and the Floating text ideas are the best parts of it.

Really, Streets of Rage Remake is pretty much the perfect example of how to make a "modern" BEM: The best ideas of what was had before, across all games, but just MORE of it. There's SO much that could be done with increasing interactivity with stages & with your co-op partners, and I STILL want a BEU with online multiplayer, where the enemies can be played by actual online people, to give us the smartest "A.I" gangs ever...

But instead, everyone who tries to make a "modern" BEM tries to fix the flat sides on an already circular tire. Stop trying to fix the tire, and instead, figure out hos to expand that 1 wheel vehicle into an 18 wheel'd behemoth.

Gotta congradulate Wayforward's Double Dragon Neon for being the best take at it so far.

CamHostage

Streets of Fire of Rage

Looked quite competent (Crackdown 2 did not attract me visually so the lighting on this caught me by surprise,) but getting to the heart of what made '90s brawlers so great and updating it is a curious challenge that rarely works out.

Man, how many people pitched Sega a Streets of Rage reboot? Didn't GRIN also work on a reboot? And Sega shut all these down? They really don't a give a rats ass about this old IP.

http://reactiongif.gif

To be fair, Final Fight was way more popular and prevelant on the beat em' up scene, and I'm not all surprised someone doesn't remember a copy-cat Genesis exclusive franchise.

Never heard of Streets of Rage before.

These aren't the right reactions.

You haven't played Streets of Rage yet? Man, are you in for a treat, then. Seriously, this is great stuff, especially the soundtrack. I'd been down on beat-em-ups beforehand, but a cursory playthrough of this game completely changed my opinion of the genre. It's on Wii VC, PSN (although I think that's a Backbone port) and XBLA (an M2 port compiling all three of the series, including regional variants, so you can even play the original, slightly-easier, much-darker version of Streets of Rage 3 if you want). Probably Steam, too (Backbone again I think). Readily available. Try it out!

it looked like it could've been fun, but the music sucked balls; you can't release a Streets of Rage reboot and have the music suck when it was so good in the original games.

BosSin

These aren't the right reactions.

You haven't played Streets of Rage yet? Man, are you in for a treat, then. Seriously, this is great stuff, especially the soundtrack. I'd been down on beat-em-ups beforehand, but a cursory playthrough of this game completely changed my opinion of the genre. It's on Wii VC, PSN (although I think that's a Backbone port) and XBLA (an M2 port compiling all three of the series, including regional variants, so you can even play the original, slightly-easier, much-darker version of Streets of Rage 3 if you want). Probably Steam, too (Backbone again I think). Readily available. Try it out!

Dude, that video just reminded me about one of the greatest opening theme tunes ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQzyVy9fYM

Top Bottom