• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOE: eShop age restrictions for the greater good (Applies to all of Europe)

Xater

Interesting. Can you elaborate on this?

It's not that hard at all. Usually online shops have to do a "Postident". you go with a filled out form and your ID to the post office. They confirm that it is you who filled out the form and sent it to the shop. From then on you can order whatever you want. Or you can be a sane person and order from any other EU country without this headache.

Zornica

Banned
The system has been out for a whole week now, and noone noticed this until now? Can't be that big of a deal then. Maybe some are a litte bit overreacting here.
*waits for the eurogamer update
and doesn't give a shit about 18+ content anyway

Xater

The system has been out for a whole week now, and noone noticed this until now? Can't be that big of a deal then. Maybe some are a litte bit overreacting here.

I noticed it on day 1 when I fucked around with the eShop. I thought everyone already knew.

Haunted

The Eurogamer comment section is a goldmine. Appropriate reactions all around.

Nintendo done fucked up. Let's see how long it takes them to fix it.

Or you can be a sane person and order from any other EU country without this headache.
Uncut, hassle-free and much, much cheaper? Don't mind if I do!

And then there's much hand wringing and puzzled looks on why the German divisions of internationally available online shops are consistently doing worse than they should given the other market conditions.

Fucking idiots.

I noticed it days ago and no one believed me

wsippel

Banned
The Eurogamer comment section is a goldmine. Appropriate reactions all around.

Nintendo done fucked up. Let's see how long it takes them to fix it.
They won't fix it until there's enough 18+ content and revenue on the eShop to warrant transferring eShop operation to a subsidiary in a different country. It's not really worth the effort for four games and potentially a mere few hundred lost sales.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They won't fix it until there's enough 18+ content and revenue on the eShop to warrant transferring eShop operation to a subsidiary in a different country. It's not really worth the effort for four games and potentially a mere few hundred lost sales.

I am bothered that with all the time they had and all the money they were earning that they could only do the bare minimum for their users especially when they were going on and on about an approach that was both wider and deeper (E3 2011).

Perhaps they will not have to worry about such bothersome 18+ content, publishers might leave it on PS3, Xbox 360, Steam, Durango, Orbis, Apple App Store, Google Play, etc... This way they can be polite with Nintendo and not cause them any trouble with other subsidiaries and transferring the eShop and all ;).

Haunted

You're probably right.

The image this transports (both to consumers and possible publishing partners) and the subsequent loss in goodwill are probably larger effects than the actual "lost sales" from this, but NoE is a very conservative and pragmatic company, they'll just look at the numbers and congratulate themselves for a well-made financial decision.

M3d10n

yes, if they are based in germany, they will shut down certain streams. I've encountered it a few times.

Streams is one thing. Being unable to even buy the game is something else entirely and even if that is not avoidable, it should only apply to Germany.

AHA-Lambda

Wow, holy just wow...

Nintendo have exceeded my already very high expectations for their ineptitude in regards to their online service.

What were they thinking?!

So this is the case across Europe then? Bloody mental.

Why limit adults to 11pm-3am for 18 rated content? 3rd parties surely can't be happy about it either.

So this is the case across Europe then? Bloody mental.

Why limit adults to 11pm-3am for 18 rated content? 3rd parties surely can't be happy about it either.
We have Germany to thank =P
Lol so let me get this straight...when Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor Edge comes out here, if I want to download I need to do so at 11pm-3am...
Great =S good thing I'm a nocturnal guy.

Shinjica

Lol so let me get this straight...when Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor Edge comes out here, if I want to download I need to do so at 11pm-3am...
Great = good thing I'm a nocturnal guy.

If you do this, they'll think that system is working and it wont be changed.

brucelito

Contacted Nintendo Europe about this issue, which is the same in Sweden. Got an answer today:

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with this service on the console

At Nintendo we always aim to provide a safe gaming experience for fans of all ages and ensure that we comply with the various legal age restriction requirements set out across Europe.

It is for these reasons that we have restricted access to content which is not suitable for minors to 23:00 until 03:00.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Nintendo UK

Contacted Nintendo Europe about this issue, which is the same in Sweden. Got an answer today:

At Nintendo we always aim to provide a safe gaming experience for fans of all ages and ensure that we comply with the various legal age restriction requirements set out across Europe.

It is for these reasons that we have restricted access to content which is not suitable for minors to 23:00 until 03:00.

Kind regards,

Nintendo UK

Seems like that's the only answer us mere mortals will get, hopefully Eurogamer will have more luck

Khaz

This did not came with the wiiU.

I remember this september they put WiiU preview videos on the 3DS eShop, among those several from Bayonetta 2. Guess what? I couldn't access them outside of specific hours. Of course the warning never told me what would be the right hours for me to watch a the video of a videogame and I ended up never seeing them. Good marketing Nintendo.

While I had no clue at the time of what was going on (I'm not german) I now know that it was because of german laws.

(Why is Bayonetta 18+ anyway?)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I noticed this the other day when I tried to view Assassin's Creed 3 on the eShop.

It's really, really dumb.

I'm an adult. If I wanna stab dudes in the neck at 2pm, I will.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who works nights this would be enough to make me not buy the system even if I was interested.

This is onion level dumb.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Kind regards,

Nintendo UK

shit, 3am? So you have four hours in the middle of the night to buy adult rated content? Insane.

Also disappointingly plays into the 'teh kiddie' image of Nintendo. They really need to stop being such muppets on matters like this.

onipex

They would be better off not putting that content on the eshop at all or at least until they has a way for adults to buy the content whenever they wanted to.

impact

Banned
Holy shit, this is insanely stupid. Has anyone tried defending it yet? NoE is basically spitting in the face of their customers.

Haunted

Why's Assassin's Creed affected anyway, I thought that's USK 16.

Not sure how it's Germany's fault when I can go to literally every other online shop in the country whenever I want and view and buy whatever 18+ game I want when providing the proper ID.

It's just Nintendo doing this shit.

I couldn't even make this up. Such a weird thing to do. Won't help with the kiddy console jokes tho.

Thinking about 3rd party relations, this is probably just one of the reasons why 2013 looks so barren. 4 hours a day for selling a product... what is this, the stone age?

Who at NOE was honestly saying: Yep, giving 18+ games 3 hours a day to sell on the eshop, and completely removing the ability to rate 18+ games in germany is a great idea. 3rd parties will love it and gamers will appreciate being patronized and protected.

This is just so retarded, and further testimony to this companies complete lack of understanding of the current market.

Well good thing about a free market is that companies like these will be weeded out eventually unless they adapt. Nintendo slept on the HD boom, and they are completely missing the Digital Distribution Train as well. Maybe next time.

Holy shit, this is insanely stupid. Has anyone tried defending it yet? NoE is basically spitting in the face of their customers.

But they are protecting us and our children. They are the Messiah.

Well they are saving people from buying games for the WiiU, and scare 3rd parties away that way, so I guess it's not all bad. At least that way, no one gets tempted to actually buy full games for their WiiU console and then being stuck with them on that one console.

Oh ffs, this is why you've build parental controls, Nintendo!

Can't be sure enough, a poor unsuspecting adult might stumble upon this filth at 3pm, what then?

Meanwhile 3rd parties will most likely leave ship sooner rather than later. Can't imagine them being happy with Nintendo prioritizing their catalogue by default, while limiting their offerings to 4 hours a day.

It's an even bigger insult to 3rd parties than anything else, and they are not complying with any law in europe, they are overcompensating for their own lazyness.

Neo C.

NoE needs to move to Switzerland: Lower taxes, no stupid german laws and perhaps a job for me as a translator. :p

Bob White

Why isn't this thread huge yet? Why isn't the issue huge yet? Come on Euro gaf, throw some gasoline on this and make a change happen.

ffdgh

Why isn't this thread huge yet? Why isn't the issue huge yet? Come on Euro gaf, throw some gasoline on this and make a change happen.

Once the rest of the internet catch this and then possibly cause an outrage, NoE will have to probably fix this unless they want more bad press against the wii u.

jimi_dini

I don't think Ubisoft and Activision will like this, at all. Do any online service (like youtube) do the same on Germany?

Of course not. Only Nintendo is this stupid.

You sure?

dummy_agerated.jpg

Top Bottom