• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite - PC graphics options revealed [Update: System req. & new article]

Derrick01

Banned
Honestly, who doesn't have at least a TB of HDD space? I think my PC has 2TB and it's a piece of garbage.

It's not the space that's a problem it's waiting all day for 30gb to download. I have mediocre speeds so it'll probably only take 6 hours or so but there are a lot of people in America who have far worse speeds than me. And that's not even including bandwidth caps.

Here's hoping they have a decent pre-load option available.

thefil

Well then, I learned something today.

Would the game be unplayable on my laptop? I don't have a 360 or PS3. I can run Bioshock 1 and 2, Portal 2, etc...on relatively high settings without hiccups.

I'm not really a specs person so sorry if these are really basic questions.

I think it depends how willing you are to lower settings. You are absolutely capable of running at 1080p 30fps on some setting. That setting may be lowest with no AA. I am comfortable with that kind of thing, and gamed on a laptop for much of this generation, including playing Skyrim on integrated Nvidia graphics. But some people find it atrocious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's not the space that's a problem it's waiting all day for 30gb to download. I have mediocre speeds so it'll probably only take 6 hours or so but there are a lot of people in America who have far worse speeds than me. And that's not even including bandwidth caps.

Here's hoping they have a decent pre-load option available.

Yes, let's hope the Max Payne 3 pre-load faux pas isn't repeated.

finley83

Banned
Was waiting to see if there was a FOV option before I got too excited about this. Glad they finally got it sorted, also losing GFWL is a bonus!

Pooya

I hope the game isn't full of cutscenes ala Max Payne 3 :\
this is like antithesis of Bioshock 1 which was a continuous game without any breaks like that and all the event scenes there were, were all in FP while playing, only ending stuff were CG.

even with these huge sizes the FMVs will still look smudgy blurry thanks to bink and playback stuttering here and there.

I hope the game isn't full of cutscenes ala Max Payne 3 :\
this is like antithesis of Bioshock 1 which was a continuous game without any breaks like that and all the event scenes there were, were all in FP while playing, only ending stuff were CG.

even with these huge sizes the FMVs will still look smudgy blurry thanks to bink and playback stuttering here and there.

Ken Levine is already on record saying you never leave Dewitts perspective, so I assume it's the same as the first game.

Eideka

Banned
Pre-rendered cutscenes are unlikely at this point, they don't really fit in Levine's way of telling a story.

We can safely assume they will be in real time. The 30gb are the result of high-res textures and higher quality assets.

Mr_eX

Awful optimization can go a long way, in 2011 I had a GTX570 and Batman Arkham City was still unplayable with Physx + DX11.

I assume Infinite won't stress my system very much, from what we have seen it's not an incredible looking game technically speaking.

Arkham City ran fine on my GTX 570

theman5141

Neo Member
No surprises on the visual side of things. Bioshock 1 was great on PC, and offered several DX10 visual flourishes not found in its console counterparts.

Eideka

Banned
Arkham City ran fine on my GTX 570

In DX11 ? I don't believe this at all.

That said at the time my GC could max out the game in DX9 (including Physx set to high) with FXAA.

Now, my GTX670 has no problem running the game in DX11/High Physx and FXAA. I'm not disappointed, it's the best looking UE3 title available.

Mr_eX

The stuttering was not present in doors, gliding through the city was painful in DX11.

I played through the entire game that way and the only part I had any problem with was the
Joker fight
where the game dropped to like 2 FPS and was not playable at all. Aside from the one boss fight it was fine.

RedSwirl

Should run okay on my current system. Not max, but probably better than the 360 version.

If it's 30GB AND Steamworks then I'll probably buy it at retail instead of taking that big a bite out of my monthly data cap.

Honestly, who doesn't have at least a TB of HDD space? I think my PC has 2TB and it's a piece of garbage.

I have 2 HDD and 1 SSD totalling 940GB and I have what I consider a pretty top end piece of kit. They are too expensive for me at the moment. When I did buy a 1TB HDD though it died on me :/

On my 500GB steam drive I have 47GB left. I do need another HDD.

Eideka

Banned
I played through the entire game that way and the only part I had any problem with was the
Joker fight
where the game dropped to like 2 FPS and was not playable at all. Aside from the one boss fight it was fine.

Physx has always been very demanding. Lots of stuff flying, particles, effects are a massive strain on any GPU.

If it's 30GB AND Steamworks then I'll probably buy it at retail instead of taking that big a bite out of my monthly data cap.
The game has been confirmed to be a Steamworks title one year ago.

injurai

Banned
Ohh I missed this thread, I was just mentioning this game needs an FOV slider in the FOV thread.

Well I'm even more pumped now. Toggleable highlight seems awesome too, though I fell I will have a hard time finding certain things without it.

Ohh I missed this thread, I was just mentioning this game needs an FOV slider in the FOV thread.

Well I'm even more pumped now. Toggleable highlight seems awesome too, though I fell I will have a hard time finding certain things without it.

Turn the fucker off. It encourages you to take more time exploring and taking the world in. Adds a shitload to atmosphere.

injurai

Banned
Turn the fucker off. It encourages you to take more time exploring and taking the world in. Adds a shitload to atmosphere.

I think I will. Playing B1 right now and while everything is super atmospheric, it also screams how unresponsive everything is when you have 2-3 flashing objects around you.

Eideka

Banned
Without comparison pics/ videos their words are just that: words.

I don't have any reasons to doubt their words, it's fairly obvious the PC version will look miles better with all those bells and whistles.

People hoping for platform parity are going to be very disappointed.

Top Bottom