• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbot still alive, seemingly hiring for new PSASBR

prwxv3

Cool I just found SOCOM, Ratchet, Twisted Metal there too

Does that change the fact none of these have had a hit in a long time now? But nobody seems to give Nintendo shit if they choose to make a new Kirby game

Kirby still does at least a million while those you listed dont. except for ratchet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It works great and it's unique and fun, why should they change it? lol

Ah yes, "unique". And the fun defense too!

Fine, I'll entertain you. Compare KO via vitality vs KO via super. Vitality (a.k.a. life bar) has a basic goal for a KO - because it's very open, it allows any form of attack to pretty much knock out a character. A weak punch can take down an opponent. This allows multiple ways to kill. The same way cannot be said for KO via super. Yes you would argue that "you can gain supers many ways" but the point is that the kill itself is still relegated to 3 types. Hell, even Smash's KO via ring out has more options still because all attacks have different knock back properties.

Carl

Fine, I'll entertain you. Compare KO via vitality vs KO via super. Vitality (a.k.a. life bar) has a basic goal for a KO - because it's very open, it allows any form of attack to pretty much knock out a character. A weak punch can take down an opponent. This allows multiple ways to kill. The same way cannot be said for KO via super. Yes you would argue that "you can gain supers many ways" but the point is that the kill itself is still relegated to 3 types. Hell, even Smash's KO via ring out has more options still because all attacks have different knock back properties.

Why the hell does that matter? I can't say that the amount of "kill types" is on my list of reasons to buy/not buy a game.

Mr. Fix

Here's hoping they don't settle for second-rate 3rd party characters this time.

Oh and rearranged music, better UI, less spammy, + more content please.

prwxv3

Here's hoping they don't settle for second rate 3rd party characters this time.

The bad sales will not convince third parties even if they made money because of the small budget. But they should try to get more of the IPs they own into the next game.

Takao

Banned
Here's hoping they don't settle for second-rate 3rd party characters this time.

Oh and rearranged music, better UI, less spammy, + more content please.

Honestly, I'd be fine if they just went for a first party-only PSN exclusive game. I'd much rather have insanely obscure SCE IPs repped than Big Daddy, and Dante. I'm thinking of another title under the "PlayStation All-Stars" banner, and not necessarily a Battle Royale sequel though.

Mr. Fix

The bad sales will not convince third parties even if they made money because of the small budget.

If their budget is still minuscule, then damn, Sony.

Honestly, I'd be fine if they just went for a first party-only PSN exclusive game. I'd much rather have insanely obscure SCE IPs repped than Big Daddy, and Dante. I'm thinking of another title under the "PlayStation All-Stars" banner, and not necessarily a Battle Royale sequel though.

I wouldn't mind this. At least it wouldn't be used as some flyer/ad for upcoming games that have little to do with Playstation.

witness

Good for them. I loved the beta and am buying the game when I get my bonus later this week.There's a ton a potential for this franchise and it would have been tragic to kill them off. SCEA needs to market this game better more than anything. I think this is just the kind of game that is a slow burner and will continue to sell consistently over the next 6 months and when all is said and done, profitable.

Unless it's exclusively 2 teams, KO via supers is a way better game mechanic.

Derrick01

Banned
PSABR gets way too much hate

It's deserved in a lot of ways. It has a terrible lineup and it relies too much on easy to get, yet overpowered supers. The core gameplay is there but now they need to make it and everything else up to the level that smash bros is at since it's quite clearly what they want it to be.

Carl

It's deserved in a lot of ways. It has a terrible lineup and it relies too much on easy to get, yet overpowered supers. The core gameplay is there but now they need to make it and everything else up to the level that smash bros is at since it's quite clearly what they want it to be.

Nope.

J-Tier

If their budget is still minuscule, then damn, Sony.

That was my complaint about Sony not supporting it enough. They should've tossed in a ton of money in something that's supposed to represent them in their entirety. They should've had a bigger team and should've invested more in advertising early on.

EDIT: And I agree with Carl. Nope. Something like lineup is subjective as hell, just because one is unfamiliar with the characters, doesn't make it bad. It's a poor reason, there are games with original characters and still do well. This is basically about Sony not being behind Superbot's back.

what?

Always thought that psasbr no matter how well it fares in sales is a series Sony would be wise to stick with it. The sequel is primed to blow the doors off the first in terms of content and even fan service. The hardest part I imagine with this game was getting the engine built, creating characters, negotiating IPs, balancing, and just the general ground work of the game. All that is done now and they can really shift focus to polish and more content and fan service.

Derrick01

Banned

There are too many that are impossible to dodge either because they're automatic kills or you get something like kratos level 3 super where it's nearly impossible to run away from. But there are lots of people with level 1 or 2 supers that can wipe everyone out instantly too. Putting the focus of victory on those moves was a bad idea.

Boss Doggie

Why the hell does that matter? I can't say that the amount of "kill types" is on my list of reasons to buy/not buy a game.

Really now? We're discussing on why the super is a bad approach and how "being unique" isn't enough. Then you resort to that reasoning?

Unless it's exclusively 2 teams, KO via supers is a way better game mechanic.

If you want dragged out matches and imbalance, sure.

Yeah I've been noticing this trend of posting.

No, he's pretty much accurate there.

A lot of Sony's IPs and characters are lacking identity; Uncharted bro dude, Killzone bro dude, Infamous bro dude, etc.

That alone probably has much to do with the game's apparently tepid sales.

J-Tier

There are too many that are impossible to dodge either because they're automatic kills or you get something like kratos level 3 super where it's nearly impossible to run away from. But there are lots of people with level 1 or 2 supers that can wipe everyone out instantly too. Putting the focus of victory on those moves was a bad idea.

Screenwiping supers are probably the worst, just so you know. You can only kill three max. As for not being able to run away from things, I'll chock that up to lack of patience and skill, with practice, I've learned the timing of his attacks and dodge them time and time again.

A lot of Sony's IPs and characters are lacking identity; Uncharted bro dude, Killzone bro dude, Infamous bro dude, etc.

Uncharted bro dude is pretty popular amongst those who...uh...played the game you know. This game wasn't designed for folks who didn't know these characters. Sony is no Nintendo with timeless nostalgic characters that are "reinvented" time and time again.

Boss Doggie

Screenwiping supers are probably the worst, just so you know. You can only kill three max. As for not being able to run away from things, I'll chock that up to lack of patience and skill, with practice, I've learned the timing of his attacks and dodge them time and time again.

I think regardless of that, the restriction of victories being solely reliant to supers is the one that pretty much makes it damning, to say the least.

Noi

*Unless it's a super that can be combo'd into.

This is my issue with the super kill system. I was fine with it until we saw how not every super is created equal, and some characters have total garbage for supers. They can have the best normal moves in the game, but are terrible characters because it's too easy to dodge their supers.

Derrick01

Banned

Come on.

Fat Princess, heavenly sword chick, Cole counting as 2 characters, that dumb cat thing, emo new Dante instead of classic Dante, Big daddy (from a series that started as 360 exclusive), Ninja Raiden and Parappa.

All of those over actual PS legends like Snake, Cloud and/or Sephiroth, Leon/Jill, Lara Croft, and spyro and crash. Hell I'd even take the syphon filter bro over most of those.

KalBalboa

Banned

You're trying to hard. Uncharted bro dude has sold nearly 20 million games since 2007.

That was my complaint about Sony not supporting it enough. They should've tossed in a ton of money in something that's supposed to represent them in their entirety. They should've had a bigger team and should've invested more in advertising early on.

No. The game would still have sold poorly. Even with more identifiable characters in it. Sony actually made the right decision by imposing tight budget controls, they should not step back from that for a sequel.

Superbot can clearly make a game on a low budget, and the mistakes are all fixable, nothing that would take more money to develop.

Again, advertising depends on game quality, no use advertising a poor or flawed game. Better to retreat, look at the issues, fix them and come back with a better sequel and go in big with advertising on the second bite.

My hope is that they will make PSASBR2 a launch title for PS4, maybe even one of the main launch titles as that way Sony can bring together all of their characters in a single launch game.

Carl

Really now? We're discussing on why the super is a bad approach and how "being unique" isn't enough. Then you resort to that reasoning?

No, i was saying why i liked it. Not that it "isn't enough". I like it because it's unique and fun. Those two definitely come a huge distance about "oh but there are only three kill styles"

So it only has characters from series with 15million + sales (Uncharted) and other multi-million selling series. Okay.

There's a difference between "the lineup has some notable characters missing" (which i'd agree with) and "the lineup is terribe" (which is absolute horseshit)

J-Tier

Here's a question for folks who actually like the game. Should they have not taken a risk by implementing the super kill system?

I personally wanted a "Sony Smash" title for ages, since Smash for the 64 popped into existence (as I lived a spoiled life getting all the systems), but I'm not sure of what the implications would be by implementing a more Smash-like system, or a health bar system.

KalBalboa

Banned
There's a difference between "the lineup has some notable characters missing" (which i'd agree with) and "the lineup is terribe" (which is absolute horseshit)

I agree completely. There's always more you could add and there are ~3 big names people would have loved to see, but the roster is pretty great in my eyes and still expanding, seeing as we know 4 more characters are coming.

Carl

Come on.

Fat Princess, heavenly sword chick, Cole counting as 2 characters, that dumb cat thing, emo new Dante instead of classic Dante, Big daddy (from a series that started as 360 exclusive), Ninja Raiden and Parappa.

All of those over actual PS legends like Snake, Cloud and/or Sephiroth, Leon/Jill, Lara Croft, and spyro and crash. Hell I'd even take the syphon filter bro over most of those.

Seriously Carl?

Heavenly Sword sold 2 million, InFamous has sold multiple millions, Bioshock must've probably sold multiple millions, MGS games featuring Raiden have sold many millions. All well known characters. What's the problem?

Again, i agree there are some notable missing characters, but to call the lineup terrible is just stupid.

Noi

Here's a question for folks who actually like the game. Should they have not taken a risk by implementing the super kill system?

I personally wanted a "Sony Smash" title for ages, since Smash for the 64 popped into existence (as I lived a spoiled life getting all the systems), but I'm not sure of what the implications would be by implementing a more Smash-like system, or a health bar system.

The super kill system is fine in theory. I'm only of the opinion that they botched the execution of it with certain characters.

edit: Ugh, roster talk. I'll avoid from throwing out my unpopular opinion in this thread at least.

This sort of thing is one of the things I think Sony does wrong.
They keep on pouring money into franchises that just does not sell all that well.
They have a lot of first party series now, but my impression is that very few of them have actually sold as well as say Halo or Gears.

I just hope sony doesn't bleed themselves dry doing this sort of thing.

They have as many games that sell as well as Halo or Gears as Microsoft does.

prwxv3

I think becoming more like Street fighter could end up well. Becoming even more like smash would be a bad idea.

And regarding characters it would have been pants on head retarded not to include Drake. Cole is a mixed bag, his design is complete shit while his powers are not and they work well with a fighting game.

Come on.

Woah, slow down there nelly. Parappa is legit. Everyone else can eat a dick but Parappa? Yeah, he's a "PlayStation All Star".

KalBalboa

Banned
Heavenly Sword sold 2 million, InFamous has sold multiple millions, Bioshock must've probably sold multiple millions, MGS games featuring Raiden have sold many millions. All well known characters. What's the problem?

Again, i agree there are some notable missing characters, but to call the lineup terrible is just stupid.

Twisted Metal alone has had god knows how many games since 1995, and plenty of them were 1-2 million sellers.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't have a problem with Cole being there but him being there twice when there are such glaring lineup omissions is straight up lazy. Heavenly Sword sold so many copies that there will never ever be another game in the series again, hardly enough to qualify as a Playstation legend. Bioshock did sell millions....on 360 and PC.

Green Scar said:
Woah, slow down there nelly. Parappa is legit. Everyone else can eat a dick but Parappa? Yeah, he's a "PlayStation All Star".

He's a third tier character at best along with the ape escape guy. They can be there but only after most of the ones I mentioned are in there first.

Call of Duty sells zillions. That doesn't mean it has memorable characters that can exist outside of the Call of Duty universe and resonate with people that aren't necessarily Call of Duty fans.

J-Tier

Haha, yeah, Parappa was often alongside Crash and a Chocobo as mascots from the PS1 era. The comment was rather biased.

Call of Duty sells zillions. That doesn't mean it has memorable characters that can exist outside of the Call of Duty universe and resonate with people that aren't necessarily Call of Duty fans.

Because the initial focus of the series was on multiplayer and not single player. Use a more comparable example like Halo. You know, the green armor guy.

Kratos level 3 isn't impossible to dodge. I've dodged it consistently when I played and would maybe die once to it at most.

100% kill level 3 super are so bad. Greats you waited to save level 3 and only killed at MOST 3 people.

Lvl 3 supers are generally fair. WEEEE you kill everybody that took you enough ap to kill like double that amount. Grabs counter players who go for lvl 3 supers.

It honestly sounds like you just suck at fighting games, hate them or maybe both.

wait I got my answer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45299376&postcount=1073
I mentioned in this thread I haaate fighting games

Come on.

Uhh how is Toro not a big classic sony character? You do realize how big that character is over in Japan right?

edit

People who "hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" fighting games shouldn't be commenting if a fighting game is fair/balanced/broken.

Carl

I don't have a problem with Cole being there but him being there twice when there are such glaring lineup omissions is straight up lazy. Heavenly Sword sold so many copies that there will never ever be another game in the series again, hardly enough to qualify as a Playstation legend. Bioshock did sell millions....on 360 and PC.

Well it was 2 or not at all, so they had no choice if they wanted Cole. If you seriously don't think Bioshock 1/2 reached a million combined on PS3, then...

No, because they have no face, no name, and no character whatsoever, whereas all of the character in here do. Great comparison

Top Bottom