• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surge |OT| Electrifying Match 3 on Vita

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haha, I am still top 10? Amusing! And congrats hidden :) I dont think there is a way past joseqq, except having the gaffer living close to him... assassinating him.

zroid

Banned
Not sure if that was on the way to my high score but I eventually got past everyone else - except joseqq :(

ffuuuu

bpb36l.jpg

I just thought of a new "tactic" that would make this game a heck of a lot easier. I'll try it next time... tomorrow :p

yurinka

Love it. Really smart and innovative new take on the match 3 genre. Really additive.
These guys did an amazing great work again. A great indie addition to PSM.

I got 1.4 million in one round before and totally blanked out on snapping a screen cap. I left all of the stars and lucked out with having 2 3X and 1 of 2 2X tiles as well as a lot of stars with the corresponding vent completely open.

Didn't matter anyway because later the pressure built up and I couldn't open a vent because blocks kept falling blocking the path of the vent release ARGH!!! -

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well that wouldn't work... the score would still remain in place :p
We need to erase his existence, so he never has existed. He is probably reading GAF btw. *shakes fist*

recurv

Neo Member
I got 1.4 million in one round before and totally blanked out on snapping a screen cap. I left all of the stars and lucked out with having 2 3X and 1 of 2 2X tiles as well as a lot of stars with the corresponding vent completely open.

Didn't matter anyway because later the pressure built up and I couldn't open a vent because blocks kept falling blocking the path of the vent release ARGH!!! -

1.4m in one clearance!!!!!

That has to be a record...

Toma

1.4m in one clearance!!!!!

That has to be a record...

I asked earlier, but you may not have read it: Whats the internal highscore dev record?
And sorry for bugging you again if you decided not to tell for a reason :)

Number45

Creeping up slowly, 2.8m now. I still feel like I make too many mistakes (my worst offence is not clearing all of the closed/dark blocks when I need to sacrifice some of my starred blocks - meaning I have to do it twice and lose more blocks) but I'm panicking less under pressure now.

Fantastic game.

recurv

Neo Member
I asked earlier, but you may not have read it: Whats the internal highscore dev record?
And sorry for bugging you again if you decided not to tell for a reason :)

Our internal dev score was about 4 million, but we tweaked the balancing just before release and haven't had time for a proper session on it since. You guys are getting big-ass clearance bonuses though, which is thrilling to see :)

Number45

Another general question. Obviously it's better to have the vent open when you clear, but if you need to clear some starred blocks to get to that vent - do we have any idea how many negates the vent being open?

I'm over-thinking this aren't I? I'm never cool headed enough to work these things out when it's all going down.

recurv

Neo Member
Another general question. Obviously it's better to have the vent open when you clear, but if you need to clear some starred blocks to get to that vent - do we have any idea how many negates the vent being open?

I'm over-thinking this aren't I? I'm never cool headed enough to work these things out when it's all going down.

It's always better to sacrifice starred blocks to get the vents open :)

Number45

Cool, thanks again. I'd love someone to work out the maths of it all, but I don't think I have the patience to do it myself!

EDIT: From what I can gather each pure star clear block is worth 1000 points multiplied by the amount you're clearing (so if you have eight blocks, each block would be worth 8000 (a 64000 clear)). I'm just confused with the multipliers, because it looks as though they multiply the value of each block in the chain with the exception of themselves.

So in the example I gave, an 8 block clear with one of those being a 2x multiplier would be (7*8000)*2 + 8000 = 120000.

That's how it seems to me anyway.

btkadams

So, do the trophies not become integrated with your PSN trophies? I thought that was the point of people wanting trophies in PSM games. I don't see them listed in my PSN trophies.

Number45

At the moment they're not supported in the SDK apparently (which is why there's no PSN friends functionality in there either). Hopefully it'll come down the line, if (!) PSM takes off.

Of course that accounts for over two thirds of the eventual total. :p

(took me from 700k to personal best. Took forever for all of the level ups to come in)

How in blazes?! You must have gotten a whopping amount of multipliers to make that happen. I usually have to sacrifice them to clear the vents :(.

So, do the trophies not become integrated with your PSN trophies? I thought that was the point of people wanting trophies in PSM games. I don't see them listed in my PSN trophies.

They're not integrated with PSN (at least not yet anyway)

Number45

How in blazes?! You must have gotten a whopping amount of multipliers to make that happen. I usually have to sacrifice them to clear the vents :(
Stars aligned (literally). A good number of stars (more than 10) and I think it was 3 *3 multipliers. The pure star clear bonus alone was around 2.2m.

That's the most addictive part about this game, constantly chasing a massive clear as well as inch up the leaderboard.

Hidden had to be in some Zen state to crack 7 million though that is crazy.

I was shaking after I toppled the high score - so much so that I didn't manage to clear a single vent before the pressure finally beat me. Once you crack the 70th level, you've got no time to formulate any tactics. You HAVE to clear 2 same coloured vents before you do anything else or you won't survive :p

Might play later but I think my fingerprint has burnt off by now :p

kiyomi

Hidden had to be in some Zen state to crack 7 million though that is crazy.

Yeah, I can imagine being in the zone for this game. I haven't got there yet. D:

What always amuses me is that if you look at the score in the top left, it gives space for another couple of numbers.

As though implying the devs thought you'd be hitting scores of 10m, or 100m

Toma

Yeah, I can imagine being in the zone for this game. I haven't got there yet. D:

What always amuses me is that if you look at the score in the top left, it gives space for another couple of numbers.

As though implying the devs thought you'd be hitting scores of 10m, or 100m

Even more fun if they havent even hit anything above 4M themselves ;) But better safe than sorry I guess. If scores increase as drastically as they do now, someone will beat that 100M as well one day :p

kassatsu

Banned
PSM has no access to PSN at the moment. They are there so it will be easy to patch, if and when they add them.

Toma

Toma's been ousted, finally :(
Updated my score slightly because that smilie looked so sad ;)
I'll be back when being kicked out of the top10 once more!

Edit: Also, lol @ 3 gaffers hunting joseqq :p

DBT85

Just under a million on my first play. I can see this taking up too much of my time.

James, on the subject of biggest single round score, can a leaderboard for that be patched in?

I liked that I could choose my leaderboard name as my PSN name is different and is an alias I haven't used in years.

Carl

After finally getting a replacement phone (my old one has a dodgy screen that wouldn't turn on) i managed to put Surge onto it. Works really well on a phone actually. Still looks fantastic, and plays possibly even better than it does on Vita. Also helps that it's a lot easier to hold a phone in one hand than it is to hold a Vita in one hand. Great stuff.

I'm still terrible at it though

Number45

After finally getting a replacement phone (my old one has a dodgy screen that wouldn't turn on) i managed to put Surge onto it. Works really well on a phone actually. Still looks fantastic, and plays possibly even better than it does on Vita. Also helps that it's a lot easier to hold a phone in one hand than it is to hold a Vita in one hand. Great stuff.

I leave the Vita in its case (the PDP case) on a table/desk. Too awkward trying to hold it.

DBT85

I never have a problem holding it one handed. Hold in left hand, thumb over the PS Vita text at the bottom, index finder behind taking the weight of the Vita.

I leave the Vita in its case (the PDP case) on a table/desk. Too awkward trying to hold it.

I used the arm of our sofa as a table :p. Tried it on a table and it kept slipping though so I had to use a case to play on Saturday.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, the closest I've gotten to reaching joseqq's new target since my main high score was 7.1m :(

Number45

Nobody cares why you failed with a score that's significantly better than anything they can come up with.

Yes, I'm bitter. :p

kassatsu

Banned

PSM runs better on Xperia than Vita currently

DBT85

My best total bonus so far

Still not able to regularly get past 2.5 million though. My best score was when I was just mashing my way through!

Also like to add that the only thing in life worse than opening a vent, getting a nice long chain together only to then see that you have one block that is blocked in, is getting eaten by a pack of starved tigers from the toes up.

EDIt: 4,596,223 puts me 8th. I was just spamming after 2.5m tbh. need to control myself enough to get one vent open

Syriel

How do you guys clear levels with so many points?

Don't go for speed, go for big combos.
Leave the stars until last.
Activate vents before clearing.

And on any stage with the "single color" block, make sure you dig holes to maximize surface area before flipping it on. A 20+ block combo is worth more than a basic 12 block combo.

Clear blocks around the stars first and clear the vent on both sides that are the same colour as the stars. Then, open the vents and grab everything in one go.

Edit: Oh, and my high score has been improved by the way :p

Top Bottom