• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-13-2012, 08:07 AM)
duckroll's Avatar
News:
http://mainichi.jp/mantan/news/20121...00030000c.html
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0048613
http://eiga.com/news/20121213/10/

Official sites:
http://www.kazetachinu.jp/
http://www.kaguyahime-monogatari.jp/

At a press conference today, Studio Ghibli confirmed that they will release two new films in Summer 2013. The movies will be Hayao Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu - based on his short manga series on Model Graphix about the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the designer of the Zero Fighter, and Isao Takahata's Kaguya-hime no Monogatari - the famous folktale of the bamboo cutter and the moon princess.

----

Kaze Tachinu
Original Work/Script/Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Music: Joe Hisaishi


Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
Original Work: The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
Concept/Script/Director: Isao Takahata
Script: Sakaguchi Riko
Music: Shinichiro Ikebe



Last edited by duckroll; 12-13-2012 at 02:52 PM.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(12-13-2012, 08:08 AM)
SalsaShark's Avatar
first second poster giving me Okami vibes


anyway, sign me the fuck up for both, as always
Last edited by SalsaShark; 12-13-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Lafiel
と呼ぶがよい
(12-13-2012, 08:08 AM)
Lafiel's Avatar
This is going be my first miyazaki and takahata film in theaters!

Can't wait. I've been waiting for a new takahata for years too.
Dresden
on the run
(12-13-2012, 08:09 AM)
Dresden's Avatar
Good times, movies by both Miyazaki and Takahata.
Hours Left
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:10 AM)
Hours Left's Avatar
duckroll's Thursday surprise. :D

I love you Ghibli.
sn00zer
(12-13-2012, 08:10 AM)
sn00zer's Avatar
and then he will retire....again
Branduil
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:10 AM)
Branduil's Avatar
I wonder if the Miyazaki film will directly address the use of the Zero Fighter in war or it will just tiptoe around that part.
hosannainexcelsis
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:10 AM)
hosannainexcelsis's Avatar
Exciting! I assume these will be double-billed like Totoro/Fireflies; should make for a really big event.

I like the key visual for Kaguya; looks like Takahata will be doing something outside the norm for Ghibli visually, just like he did with Yamadas.
wonzo
Ascending the eternal
spiritual elevator
(12-13-2012, 08:12 AM)
wonzo's Avatar
Awesome, can't wait for Takahata's next film.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-13-2012, 08:12 AM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Branduil

I wonder if the Miyazaki film will directly address the use of the Zero Fighter in war or it will just tiptoe around that part.

Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.
zeroshiki
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:13 AM)
zeroshiki's Avatar
This is gonna be great. Its been too long for either of these two.
Lafiel
と呼ぶがよい
(12-13-2012, 08:14 AM)
Lafiel's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.

So it's about Hayao Miyazaki past few films?
zeroshiki
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:15 AM)
zeroshiki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lafiel

So it's about Hayao Miyazaki past few films?

His last few films didn't really kill any people nor is he disappointed with them.
hosannainexcelsis
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:16 AM)
hosannainexcelsis's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.

Miyazaki seems like a pretty depressed guy. This really will be a very personal film for him then.
Articalys
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:17 AM)
Articalys's Avatar
Well, I'll look forward to Miyazaki's.
Last edited by Articalys; 12-13-2012 at 08:26 AM.
M_Night
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:17 AM)
M_Night's Avatar
Is the turn around from Japan > NA/EU a lot quicker with Ghibli stuff?
SolarPowered
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:18 AM)
SolarPowered's Avatar
Awesome

You can never have enough Ghibli movies.
Femmeworth
Miss Negativity
(12-13-2012, 08:19 AM)
Femmeworth's Avatar
Post Howl's Moving Castle Miyazaki adapting someone's life story, this should be interesting.
Branduil
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:19 AM)
Branduil's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.

I was just wondering because Miyazaki loves planes but is also anti-war. So it sounds like this film will mirror his beliefs to some extent.

Originally Posted by M_Night

Is the turn around from Japan > NA/EU a lot quicker with Ghibli stuff?

Ahahahaha.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(12-13-2012, 08:19 AM)
SalsaShark's Avatar
duckroll stop editing the OP now my comment doesnt make any sense >:(
survivor
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:19 AM)
survivor's Avatar
Finally, another Takahata movie.
Instro
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:20 AM)
Instro's Avatar
How exciting, that'll be quite a double feature.
flawfuls
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:20 AM)
flawfuls's Avatar

Originally Posted by M_Night

Is the turn around from Japan > NA/EU a lot quicker with Ghibli stuff?

No.
Lafiel
と呼ぶがよい
(12-13-2012, 08:21 AM)
Lafiel's Avatar
Honestly I have a really good feeling about Miyazaki's latest. Despite his recent blunders, I have a feeling he is going be delivering something really special.

Hopefully at the very least!
Hours Left
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:23 AM)
Hours Left's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lafiel

Honestly I have a really good feeling about Miyazaki's latest. Despite his recent blunders, I have a feeling he is going be delivering something really special.

Hopefully at the very least!

I feel like Earthsea has been the only real misstep Ghibli has made in the past few years. Ponyo wasn't that stellar, but I think it achieved what was intended.

Arrietty was good and I'm excited for Poppy Hill.
KuwabaraTheMan
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:24 AM)
KuwabaraTheMan's Avatar
Really excited about both, especially Takahata's Kaguya-hime movie.

All in all, I'm just happy to have both of these guys working on new films.
CorvoSol
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:25 AM)
CorvoSol's Avatar
Guys I still love Howl's Moving Castle to pieces.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(12-13-2012, 08:25 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
I'm up for both of those.
Duderz
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:25 AM)
Duderz's Avatar
This is probably the most interesting sounding Miyazaki project since Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle and especially Ponyo definitely didn't click for me, but this sounds great.

I have no doubt Isao Takahata will pull off another great film. It's been WAY too long.
Lafiel
と呼ぶがよい
(12-13-2012, 08:26 AM)
Lafiel's Avatar

I feel like Earthsea has been the only real misstep Ghibli has made in the past few years. Ponyo wasn't that stellar, but I think it achieved what was intended.

Arrietty was good and I'm excited for Poppy Hill.

I honestly don't think Ghibli have made a really good film since My Neighbour Yamadas and Spirited Away.

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.
M_Night
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:26 AM)
M_Night's Avatar
Booooo :(

Your fans overseas also have needs!
Risette
A Good Citizen
(12-13-2012, 08:27 AM)
Risette's Avatar

Originally Posted by M_Night

Booooo :(

Your fans overseas also have needs!

Yeah, but only Disney knows what your needs are

and it includes shitty disney pop star songs dubbed over some of the original music
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-13-2012, 08:28 AM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalsaShark

duckroll stop editing the OP now my comment doesnt make any sense >:(

Har har! :D

Okay, okay, I'm done.
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(12-13-2012, 08:29 AM)
RatskyWatsky's Avatar
Miyazaki and Takahata are back! :D I really like both posters, but I'm eager to see trailers for each. When can we expect them? Sometime next spring?

I love that Takahata is utilizing an Okami-esque water color style. Reminds me of the Yamadas. This is his first film since 1999 right? He's pretty old...I bet this will be his last film. :/

Originally Posted by M_Night

Is the turn around from Japan > NA/EU a lot quicker with Ghibli stuff?

Ghibli films usually make it to the EU pretty quickly. NA? Expect fall 2014/spring 2015. Things might be faster with GKids distributing though. We'll see.
zeroshiki
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:30 AM)
zeroshiki's Avatar

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

Yeah, but only Disney knows what your needs are

and it includes shitty disney pop star songs dubbed over some of the original music

Whoever decided to make the Ponyo Pop Song needs to be shot.
Nonoriri
If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
(12-13-2012, 08:30 AM)
Nonoriri's Avatar
Neato.
SolarPowered
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:32 AM)
SolarPowered's Avatar

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

Yeah, but only Disney knows what your needs are

and it includes shitty disney pop star songs dubbed over some of the original music

Wait, what? Hold on a second. Which movies have had this sort of treatment? Does the original Japanese audio still exist on the disc for purists? I was going to buy at least three movies(Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky and Arrietty) tomorrow, but this is a gigantic red light.
Lafiel
と呼ぶがよい
(12-13-2012, 08:32 AM)
Lafiel's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeroshiki

Whoever decided to make the Ponyo Pop Song needs to be shot.

Good thing in australia we are likely to get a british version instead. Or for the takahata film - original language with subtitles in select art-house theaters.
Desmond
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:33 AM)
Desmond's Avatar
Can't wait to see what Takahata does with this one.
zeroshiki
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:33 AM)
zeroshiki's Avatar
duckroll, its Kaze Tachinu not Kazu Tachinu :P

The wind doesn't rise but maybe the numbers will!
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-13-2012, 08:35 AM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeroshiki

duckroll, its Kaze Tachinu not Kazu Tachinu :P

The wind doesn't rise but maybe the numbers will!

I dunno what you're talking about!

Edit: Btw, the poster for Kaze Tachinu is based on this scene from Miyazaki's short manga of the same name:

Last edited by duckroll; 12-13-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Timbuktu
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:42 AM)
Timbuktu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lafiel

I honestly don't think Ghibli have made a really good film since My Neighbour Yamadas and Spirited Away.

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.

I would agree, that hasn't been a Ghibli movie of real ambition since Spirited Away. I was really disappointed with Poppy Hill as well, it did feel like daytime soap with a couple of narrative threads that didn't tie together at all.

Here's hoping for these next two, i don't expect that many more films from these two so every single one counts, though in some way i'd wish they'd swapped films, with Miyazaki for the fantasy and Takahata with history as it has been. porco roso wasn't my favorite from ghibli. We'll see how it goes though, that Kaze Tachinu poster does make it seem a low key affair. I guess i just don't want to get too hyped and be disaapointed. ghibli is overdue a big effort. Would also be interesting to see how these movies is present 'Japan', as they seem to be about its history and tradition more overtly than their recent films. I don't expect any kind of 'nationalism' from them.
Last edited by Timbuktu; 12-13-2012 at 08:51 AM.
qindarka
Junior Member
(12-13-2012, 08:44 AM)
qindarka's Avatar
Never been a huge fan of Takahata but I am pretty excited about his new film. Also glad that Miyazaki won't be bowing out with Ponyo.


Originally Posted by SolarPowered

Wait, what? Hold on a second. Which movies have had this sort of treatment? Does the original Japanese audio still exist on the disc for purists? I was going to buy at least three movies(Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky and Arrietty) tomorrow, but this is a gigantic red light.

I believe Arrietty had a pop song added. Other than it and Ponyo, I don't think Disney did that to any other Ghibli movie.

Of course, Castle in the Sky has a revised score by Hisaishi for the English dub.
Dan
Currently boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
(12-13-2012, 08:48 AM)
Dan's Avatar
Wow, awesome news. Can't wait to watch them... in 2014. *fingers crossed*
overcast
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:50 AM)
overcast's Avatar
I'll be there for both. Didn't watch Secret World of Arrietty or Ponyo yet..
zeroshiki
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:53 AM)
zeroshiki's Avatar
Its guaranteed to come out in Japan by 2013 but we don't know when. It could very well be late June like Ponyo. In that case, 2014 is the safest bet for international release.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-13-2012, 08:54 AM)
duckroll's Avatar
The poster for Kaze Tachinu says the film is a homage to both Jiro Horikoshi and Hori Tatsuo. Horikoshi is the designer of the Zero Fighter, and we already know the movie centers around his life (likely to be heavily fictionized). Hori Tatsuo is a famous Japanese writer who wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, a story about a pair of young lovers where the girl succumbs to illness and the guy returns to the village where they first met to spend his winter. Sounds like this could be the most depressing Miyazaki movie yet!
qindarka
Junior Member
(12-13-2012, 08:56 AM)
qindarka's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

The poster for Kaze Tachinu says the film is a homage to both Jiro Horikoshi and Hori Tatsuo. Horikoshi is the designer of the Zero Fighter, and we already know the movie centers around his life (likely to be heavily fictionized). Hori Tatsuo is a famous Japanese writer who wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, a story about a pair of young lovers where the girl succumbs to illness and the guy returns to the village where they first met to spend his winter. Sounds like this could be the most depressing Miyazaki movie yet!

Homage to both of them? Did they have any links in real life?
Branduil
Member
(12-13-2012, 08:59 AM)
Branduil's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeroshiki

Whoever decided to make the Ponyo Pop Song needs to be shot.

Nowhere near as bad as what they did to Arrietty.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-13-2012, 09:00 AM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by qindarka

Homage to both of them? Did they have any links in real life?

No, they're probably just both two people Miyazaki feels strongly about in his old age. But from a historical angle, the time period would be right to tell a story which covers both Japan's eventual entry into WW2 and the mass production of fighter planes, and the issue of tuberculosis in the country.

Thread Tools