• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia Thread - 1996 Toys R Us Holiday Ad

Courtesy of pwnpocalypse on Imgur.

TxQds.jpg

EXpvI.jpg

uhyFS.jpg

QKc68.jpg

ls1o0.jpg

zf92o.jpg

hQGu1.jpg

fRIxk.jpg

m5Ah0.jpg

This page is from '97:
oeBWb.jpg

The nerd in me is just wishing I had all of those proto N64 controllers in all of those colors.

I'm not sure if I should quote the images to make them smaller because they don't seem ridiculously large to the point that I would need to but I can edit my post easily if it bothers enough people.

AniHawk

And people are bitching about this generation's prices.

that's because during that generation, prices went down to $40 for console games, and during the ps2/xbox/dc/gc era, the highest price was $50. we went back to a higher price point for no real good reason.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Man I suddenly feel really old.

Tamagotchis. Can't believe I used to obsess over those as a kid x_x

Also seeing Dualshock controllers without sticks is still really weird.

i-Lo

And people are bitching about this generation's prices.

Beaten like cheap drunk asshole troll at a gay bar.

Yea, the inflation has gone up but the prices of games haven't. Then again, proliferation rates were much lower than what they are now for home consoles.

Also, I have never seen so many gaming consoles be featured concurrently in a flyer... ever.

Rikkun

Wait are those dollars?

N64 in Italy was 600.000 lire, the official exchange rate makes it ~300€ without counting it was 16 years ago. And a cart was 150.000 lire.

Damn you
LLShC.gif

But yeah, I remember spending hours watching ads. Good times.

Cade

Not scans of ads.

I know, heh.

I think the thing that sticks out to me here the most is how damn colorful everything is in this ad. All the cases are bright and uniquely colored. Look at an ad today for video games and it's all browns, dark blues, and black. (orange, etc).

Also, "Ultimate Mortal Combat".

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I remember looking at that big ass christmas catalog they'd send in the mail many many times.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I didn't realize Game Boys were ever so cheap. Damn, wish I would have asked for one, that gold Pocket is a steal.

oneils

I'd love to see the Canadian version of that ad. Exchange rates were pretty terrible back then. I bet the games would be about 69.99 or even 79.99.

I remember paying 89.99 for Romance of the Three Kingdoms III on Sega Genesis in 1993/94 or thereabouts.

Kyou

gameboys were only 60 bucks?

It's a good thing I wasnt an adult back then because I would probably have all the gameboy pocket colors

that's because during that generation, prices went down to $40 for console games, and during the ps2/xbox/dc/gc era, the highest price was $50. we went back to a higher price point for no real good reason.

I don't buy many games anymore @ $60, b/c I game less. But to say that costs to make games hasn't gone up is wrong. Yea we can argue if games were cheaper they would sell more and so on, but the industry doesn't think so.

I don't even remember what I got for Christmas in 1996. Didn't get an N64 until March '97 (12th birthday gift), PS1 summer of '98 and Game Boy Pocket Christmas '98 w/ Pokémon Blue.

I'd love to know WTF I did with my GBP. I loved that thing. :(

i-Lo

Look at the bullshots nintendo used for their Mario on the first page :p

And let's have some name drops here for the informed (and I am uninformed). Can anyone name the athletes featured on the cover of:

• NHL 97
  • NHL Faceoff 97
  • NBA 97
  • Sega World Series Baseball 96
  • NFL Gameday 97
  • College Football 97
    And Finally
  • The madden 97 announcer

Yuripaw

Banned
You know what I notice about this ad, compared to almost anything you see now. With the exception of Super Mario 64, and the N64 (it was the year of it's release, so it's no surprise they would want to highlight it...) but everything seems to have equal space in the ad. They're showing all kinds of games, different genres, different systems. This is such a great ad, and it reminds me of a time when gaming was so much more fun and diverse.

Now...you look in an ad with video games, and a handful of select games are pushed up front and center. "Get the latest Call of Duty!" or "Madden!" and everything else is just bunched together, and put into a small picture in the corner.

Haha, those game prices. I remember my parents giving me grief for years after begging for a copy of Chrono Trigger (which was about $70) one year.

I completely forgot online Saturn games were a thing, too.

AniHawk

I don't buy many games anymore @ $60, b/c I game less. But to say that costs to make games hasn't gone up is wrong. Yea we can argue if games were cheaper they would sell more and so on, but the industry doesn't think so.

costs went up from the n64/psx/saturn era to the next, but prices stayed the same or went down. costs are going up next gen too. planning on paying $69.99 for a game?

Grayman

I am not sure about launch period but N64 games started touching and exceeding 100 Canadian dollars in that generation.

I found my old game gear last week but the screen was dead.

Top Bottom