• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thieves steal $2m worth of Wii (Wii U?) consoles

I dont understand how no one at Nintendo stood up and said "whoa whoa whoa guys... everyone is going to be confused by just adding a U to the end of our current console, Wii.."

Its like they're deliberately trying to confuse people

hiryu64

Looks like they learned absolutely nothing with the 3DS-DS debacle. At least that seems to have sorted itself out, though. This Wii-Wii U nonsense seems like it's on a whole 'nother level.

That's one way to get them off the shelves

iD65B2Hx79Rm8.gif

It was Kyoto Nintendo that named the Wii and DS successor, though.

Megadrive was named Genesis in the States. NoA could have pushed back and tried to call it something else.

hiryu64

That assumes NoA has any kind of autonomy.
I was actually about to edit my post to account for that. I don't think they have any kind of autonomy whatsoever, so even if Reggie and co. wanted to push back they likely couldn't do anything.
When I bought mine at Wal-Mart, the clerk remarked "Wow, $350 for this? It's almost as big as the console".
No lie, I had the guy that rang up my preorder ask, "Is it like a new PSP or something?" Total branding clusterfuck.

I was actually about to edit my post to account for that. I don't think they have any kind of autonomy whatsoever, so even if Reggie and co. wanted to push back they likely couldn't do anything.

No lie, I had the guy that rang up my preorder ask, "Is it like a new PSP or something?" Total branding clusterfuck.

Yep, when I picked up my preorder the cashier asked if it was Nintendo's version of the PSP. I just shook my head, took my console and left.

volturnus

Banned
How come big companies in the industry are so fond of focus groups and Nintendo didn't even bother? Not that it ever needed, really, but it would've helped them a lot.
http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/5ef262843480fdf13fc87e314929c120218531a8.gif[/QUOTE]
Thank you for that.

Bgamer90

Banned

def-comedy-jam-parody-o.gif

This is obviously a scheme from Nintendo to cause supply constraints and make the WiiU look like a hot item.

Seriously though, Nintendo has done very poorly with differing the WiiU from Wii in consumer's eyes. BGamer and I debated on whether or not Nintendo would correct this confusion going froward in the Jimmy Fallon add-on thread, looks like BGamer was correct in assuming Nintendo wouldn't.

Heh, yeah that thread got pretty heated.

I'm honestly surprised at how bad the advertising has been. Very lacking in terms of actual info. It's as if the ads are being directed towards us (people on GAF).

Raoh

Welp if anyone needs more proof of how bad Nintendo's marketing/consumer awareness has been.

Is the Wii U still stoled out?

Do these count as shipped or sold? ;)

Still not a steal.

Certainly a way to reach the 5.5M shipped units.
So more consoles were stolen than sold worldwide, you can't make that up.

Nintendo will still count these as sales, since everyone goes by product shipped, not product sold.

Microsoft counts red ring replacements as sales so I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't. They sold them for $0.

"cried wii wii wii, all the way home"

:lol

topiclist4.gif

I always wondered if Microsoft counted the train derailment that lost a shipment of 360's.

I was at Best Buy today. They had a huge pallet of Wii Us sitting the middle of the store. There were 26 of them. Then I was back in the game section and there were another dozen back there. Nobody was buying any of them. And the Wii U section was relegated to a tiny one quarter section with a single shelf of games. It was sad.

majik13

Do these count as shipped or sold? ;)

going off the article, it seems they were about to be shipped, as it was a Nintendo warehouse a the Seattle airport.

I would assume the lose will be on Nintendo's end. But I am sure they are insured for something like this.

edit: oh, nevermind

B.O.O.M

thats only one vita though, not $2m worth of vitas. one vita stolen is just the work of an average scummy thief. the thieves that stole $2m worth of wii or wii u obviously put effort and time to orchestrate such an elaborate plot and doing so effectively.

though I do understand your point, one vita vs $2m worth of wii/wii u? come on man.

lol you are making no sense. Given the current sales the thieves should have gone for either the xbox or the ps3. Don't think it was that smart of them to go for the wiiu, unless they plan on selling them spread out over a long time. Then I can see why they would prefer wiiu because it has a lesser chance of a price cut

Top Bottom