• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

Resilient

You'd think that the 360 and PS3 have never had to be updated given the reactions in thsi thread..probably a sweet idea for parents giving it to kids who wouldn't know better.

Coming from the company who thought downloadable patches were an excuse for lazy developers to get shit out on time and unfinished. They should have people testing the shit out of stuff before it gets released. And the only update should be for additional content.

What happened to that "Seal of Quality".

Did someone from Nintendo ever say this?

I guess this is sort of like building a bike before giving it as a gift.. or something.

Still, if the system came with the appropriate update or if the updates didn't take absurdly long times this really wouldn't be an issue. I see this backfiring if somehow the kid doesn't want it, or if the parents accidentally bought the white instead of black, etc.

Madouu

This. It never goes back in the way it was factory packaged.

If one is worried about the packaging then just make sure to download the update in the background. That way the kids (or whoever you are gifting it to) can play some game while it does its thing. Nintendo Land would be best.

I'd still advise people to perform the first setup before gifting, could always run into some other kind of issue (console having a hard time to connect to the internet, system/gamepad not working etc.) but at the end you have the choice.

HeySeuss

Incoming 'I bought a Wii U below price from Ebay and the seller didn't even update it' thread.

I saw a premium at Walmart today with a dented corner on the box. I laughed to myself and wondered who I could complain to so I could get a discount. Because GAF says the box is important.

SykoTech

So it can't be returned unopened if it's unwanted? No shame.

Sounds like good advice otherwise though, given how bad everyone was saying it was back at launch.

Madouu

A pretty bad tip when you are trying to gift someone a brand new unopened item like all other gifts.

Nope it's a good tip. Console ready to play >unopened box, especially for one that is still plagued with slowish download speeds.

If people value the "brand new" box opening a lot then they probably won't follow the tip.

PhantomR

Banned
With all the awful /thread comments and terrible trolling attempts, it's getting hard to distinguish GAF from GameFAQs and IGN. Good show.

iPOS6.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
I guess this makes sense if you were buying it for casual gamers or kids but if I got something that was clearly opened I'd probably be like...uh is this used and think about the warranty on it and call the person who gifted it to me a cheapskate lol (jokingly of course)

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with Xbox 360 slim, PS3 slim, PSVita, 3DS among other newer electronic devices. And what's their option really? Sending back every unit to the manufacturer to update every time there is a new system update and then send it to the stores again?

You'd think that the 360 and PS3 have never had to be updated given the reactions in thsi thread..probably a sweet idea for parents giving it to kids who wouldn't know better.

What updates on the Xbox 360 take more than 30 minutes to download (or heck, even 15 minutes on a fast connection)?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gamers: Nintendo is a god damned toy company.

This is the first time they've ever sold a game console that is even capable of receiving firmware patches of any significant size, so large that they can't be stored on every game disc as a backup plan. (Which is what they did on Wii.)

Nintendo tries to make the setup and use of their products as parent and kid friendly as possible, being that they're a god damned toy company. Therefore I find this simple tweet pretty unsurprising and inoffensive.

It just fits into the LOLTENDO narrative about the apparently legendary day 1 patch, by gamers who suddenly forgot using Playstation 3s for the last seven years.

Nintendo could also suggest that users say "no" to that first update so they can play Nintendoland and other titles asap, and update AFTER Christmas day when the update server won't be hammered half as hard.

At least they've suggested it (in a vague manner...), rather than not say a thing and let joe bloggs find out their Wii U needs a surprise big update (I am a little surprised Nintendo didn't put a slip in the first batch of Wii U's warning of the update)

Neiteio

Not bad advice for most electronics, really. When I got my mom an iPod, I opened it and pre-installed it with dozens of her favorite songs, so she could start listening to it right away.

Funnily enough, with the Wii U, which was a gift to me from my brother, the same thing was done -- "Let's open it in advance just to do the system update!" -- and then when we were done with the system update, we were like: "......Let's play Nintendo Land!"

Gamers: Nintendo is a god damned toy company.

This is the first time they've ever sold a game console that is even capable of receiving firmware patches of any significant size, so large that they can't be stored on every game disc as a backup plan. (Which is what they did on Wii.)

Wii discs weren't 25GB, I'm sure most Wii U game discs will fit a patch on fine.

Rootbeer

Banned
Depending on who is receiving the gift I 100% agree it's a great idea.

If it were a gift for an adult or teenager i'd definitely leave it to them.

Arkam

This thread makes me thing many Gafers are the fools who go to buy a new car and expect it to have Zero miles on it.

You guys would have an issue if someone opened your console box? Hell I wish someone did this for me... setting it up and putting in my stereo cabinet would be even better. I don't even need to see the box.

RagnarokX

I'm guessing this is a tip to parents. You know, like assembling a bike instead of giving the kids a box.

"Merry Christmas, son! We got you a bike."
"But it's in pieces..."
"Well, good news! We also got you a wrench!"

Before I was born, one christmas my parents got my brother a new bike, but at first they gave him a piece of shit bike they got from a junk yard and made him think that was his gift. My dad went on about how fun it would be to make a project of fixing it up as my brother pretended to be happy.

EulaCapra

Twitter tip for parents: let your kid suffer the waiting game for the updates for theirselves so their cries can be heard by Nintendo.

Box

Times vary, it seems. Around launch day, I remember reports of two-hour DLs and installations for the whole process. By the time I got mine the week after Thanksgiving, the entire process took roughly 45 minutes.

So basically, it's not a big deal at all for most people.

Agent X

To be fair this advice is valid for a pretty large selection of consumer electronics. You sure aren't gonna be playing online on a new PS3 without waiting for an update first.

You're right in that many other video game consoles and other Internet-enabled electronic devices may require a firmware update. However, the issue at hand here isn't merely that the system needs a firmware update. It's the fact that the Wii U requires such a large and time-consuming firmware update.

If the Wii U could be easily updated in 15 minutes or less (like other systems), then this wouldn't be a problem for most people.

Some people mentioned that the Wii U units that are out in the wild now were manufactured several months ago, long before the current firmware was available.

What Nintendo should have done over the last few weeks (after the magnitude of this problem was realized) was create discs with the firmware update on them (and possibly some game demos, too), and distribute them to retailers who are selling the systems. The retailers could then give out a disc with every Wii U system that was sold. By doing this, new Wii U owners could quickly and easily update their system's firmware without waiting for a lengthy Internet download process--or even without having to connect to the Internet.

d0c_zaius

and to think someone in marketing thought this was a good idea

Millions of people buy games at Gamestop that are opened but are sold as new.

so a disc is equal to hardware now? how many PC parts do you buy used?

apparently people (some below this post) are focusing on just it being an update, vs being an update that took over an hour for me. haters vs defense force, always helps.

who am I kidding, entering this topic is asking to be annoyed by someone.

FyreWulff

Eh, I update electronics and PCs before I gift them or right after I build them for the person so they can hit the ground running.

If someone cares about the box being slightly opened when it's probably been opened about 3 times before you got it or even played (QA, QC checks, etc) seems to think kids actually care.

edit: console wise I updated a 360 before I gave it to someone that used it offline so they could install their games.

Berg

just another piece of ammo for nintendo haters to pounce on.
But don't worry, I wont rag on other systems if they require a day one update....I'm not the kinda person

Top Bottom