• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

reptilescorpio
(12-22-2012, 11:32 PM)
Mock if old, searched couldn't find anything

Came up when people questioned about Isaac being in the HiB

Originally Posted by Formspring User

You said the game was rejected by the UbuntuSC guys, how comes that with the Humble Bundle 7 they claim "We're sorry that Binding of Issac [...] are not available. [...] the authors of Binding of Issac declined to make their game available and we respect"

Originally Posted by Ed McMillen

they are just trying to save face. they rejected isaac a while ago because its content "wasnt a good fit for the Ubuntu store" then changed their tune once they found out how popular it was and that it was a part of the HIB.

but since they are going out of their way to try and avoid the fact that they rejected isaac, ill also make public the 2nd reason why isaac isnt in their store.

Last year Ubuntu added Super Meat Boy to their store without our written permission and sold it for a full year without paying us. we didnt find this out till a few months ago and had to contact them directly about it in order to get our payment.... i dont trust or respect their actions and wont be working with them ever again.

i was trying to be cool about it but if they want to publicly state that i declined their offer to sell Isaac in their store without context to why.. then ill go public with my VERY valid reasons.

feel free to re-post this message or link this to any one who might be misinformed, im not a fan of being made to look like an asshole when my reasons are quite valid.

EDIT: Update from V_Ben's post

SMB co-developer

Originally Posted by Tommy Refenes

To add more context to Eds statement about Isaac and the Ubuntu store...they still have not paid us for Super Meat Boy sales.

EDIT Again: Update from Vagabundo's post

From the comment section

Originally Posted by davidpitkin

Hi Edmund, let's figure the confusion out as soon as possible. There were some crossed wires with the Humble Indie Bundle 5 launch and Super Meat Boy plus the lack of age restrictions in the Ubuntu App Store for Issac but nothing more I thought : (

David Pitkin,Director of Consumer Applications at Canonical.
Last edited by reptilescorpio; 12-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
ponpo
( ≖‿≖)
(12-22-2012, 11:34 PM)
There's an official Ubuntu app store?
bernardobri
Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Wowzah.
Massa
Canonical continues to show what a shitty company they are.
V_Ben
(12-22-2012, 11:35 PM)
Wow, what a bunch of dicks. Pretty shady that they only paid up when asked by the developers.
Bomber Bob
(12-22-2012, 11:35 PM)
who is the responsable for ubuntu store?
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.
(12-22-2012, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by ponpo

There's an official Ubuntu app store?

Gaben to complain about Linux destroying gaming.....
MrNyarlathotep
I find your lack of holistic synergy overviews disturbing
(12-22-2012, 11:40 PM)

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

Gaben to complain about Linux destroying gaming.....

I'm sure the day that all linux features are only available to apps and games certified by Canonical, he will complain about it.

until then, keep on just not getting it.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-22-2012, 11:41 PM)
Yeah, I'm more shocked at Ubuntu getting an app store.

Oh wait, Canonical? So it's another party trying to make some cash in an open source OS?
Atolm
(12-22-2012, 11:44 PM)
Ubuntu had an App Store before than Windows or even iOS/ Android...in fact you could say most modern app stores come from the Linux repository systems...
Massa
(12-22-2012, 11:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Boss Doggie

Yeah, I'm more shocked at Ubuntu getting an app store.

Oh wait, Canonical? So it's another party trying to make some cash in an open source OS?

Canonical is the company that owns and develops Ubuntu. The "app store" is how they distribute the thousands of free software that are normally part of an Ubuntu/Debian distribution, and also where they sell proprietary applications and games.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(12-22-2012, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Massa

Canonical is the company that owns and develops Ubuntu. The "app store" is how they distribute the thousands of free software that are normally part of an Ubuntu/Debian distribution, and also where they sell proprietary applications and games.

Ah I see, thanks for the info! I never thought the Ubuntu team has an actual name (Canonical), I always thought it's just Ubuntu team.
V_Ben
(12-22-2012, 11:55 PM)
Guess what? They still haven't been paid;

https://twitter.com/TommyRefenes/sta...35061449326592

To add more context to Eds statement about Isaac and the Ubuntu store...they still have not paid us for Super Meat Boy sales.

Grayman
(12-23-2012, 12:45 AM)
That is a very bad practice for canonical. This should be very damaging to their store. I wonder if they have done that to more vendors.
hardcastlemccormick
(12-23-2012, 12:48 AM)
Canonical used to be a pretty decent bunch. Now it just seems they get lower and lower with every passing month.

I wonder how many copies of Super Meat Boy were sold through that store.
Hyun Sai
(12-23-2012, 12:50 AM)
Perhaps I'm wrong, but Team Meat complained about Xbox live before that, no ? The irony.

Anyway, how can a developper miss his game being sold on one platform for one year ?
mavs
(12-23-2012, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Hyun Sai

Perhaps I'm wrong, but Team Meat complained about Xbox live before that, no ? The irony.

Anyway, how can a developper miss his game being sold on one platform for one year ?

It's Linux.
wrowa
(12-23-2012, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Hyun Sai

Care to explain? I fail to see the irony.
zoku88
(12-23-2012, 12:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Massa

Canonical continues to show what a shitty company they are.

This can't be said enough.
EvB
(12-23-2012, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.
Elfforkusu
(12-23-2012, 12:55 AM)
Canonical are clowns.

Originally Posted by EvB

They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.

Ubuntu != Linux. It's just one vendor's packaging.
zoku88
(12-23-2012, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by EvB

Uhm, they didn't say they wouldn't make a Linux game again. They said they wouldn't work with Canonical again.

Those are two VERY different things...

Please note: The reason they said this was because they were asked why Binding of Isaac wasn't released on the Ubuntu Store and is just available through the humble indie bundle (part of the req for the bundle is to have a Linux version.) Thus, they clearly made a Linux game after they decided to not work with Canonical again.
EvB
(12-23-2012, 12:58 AM)
Sorry, my mistake
markot
(12-23-2012, 12:58 AM)
wow >.>
WAR recon zero
(12-23-2012, 01:07 AM)
This confirms why I'll NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER use a Canonical product again
Mesoian
(12-23-2012, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by EvB

...Steam, Google Play, iOS, Origin, PSN, Wiiware.

No, I think they're doing just fine
War Machine
(12-23-2012, 03:02 AM)
They also never said that they won't work with Microsoft ever again
Haunted
(12-23-2012, 03:22 AM)
I don't know what's worse, the Ubuntu store selling SMB without authorisation or it going unnoticed for months because no one fucking uses it. :lol
Nemo
Will Eat Your Children
(12-23-2012, 03:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Haunted

I don't know what's worse, the Ubuntu store selling SMB without authorisation or it going unnoticed for months because no one fucking uses it. :lol

Best part is the people selling it probably even knew they had a good chance of getting away with it because no one would notice
JaxJag
Banned
(12-23-2012, 03:31 AM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

I think he's saying the Team Meat guys complain a lot. They also seemed like they weren't very likable/awkward in that documentary they were in a few years back, Indie Game: The Movie I think it's called.
Haziq
(12-23-2012, 03:36 AM)
Didn't know there were a lot of people who dislike Ubuntu here. I thought generally GAF liked Ubuntu.

Also I never knew SMB was on the store, lol ...
Bowling Pin
(12-23-2012, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by JaxJag

I think he's saying the Team Meat guys complain a lot.

Having your property sold without your knowledge is a legitimate complaint.
JaxJag
Banned
(12-23-2012, 03:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Bowling Pin

Having your property sold without your knowledge is a legitimate complaint.

They just aren't very likable. Go watch Indie Game: The Movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKV5cqsi3wQ
Haunted
(12-23-2012, 03:43 AM)

I think he's saying the Team Meat guys complain a lot. They also seemed like they weren't very likable/awkward in that documentary they were in a few years back, Indie Game: The Movie I think it's called.

So they should be ok with people selling their games without their consent? Note that they even kept quiet about it until this episode where the Ubuntu people made them look bad by not providing the context needed for the decision to not work with them anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure what the fuck you're even arguing here.

And if you thought McMillen wasn't very likable in the movie, I don't know what to tell you, just that you seem to be a bad judge of human beings.
Last edited by Haunted; 12-23-2012 at 03:47 AM.
theytookourjobz
(12-23-2012, 03:43 AM)

I thought they seemed pretty cool. Fish seemed like a douche. Maybe I was predisposed to liking them more though because SMB is fucking great and Fez is not.
hardcastlemccormick
(12-23-2012, 03:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Haziq

Didn't know there were a lot of people who dislike Ubuntu here. I thought generally GAF liked Ubuntu.

Maybe GAF used to. I certainly did. The last year or two for Ubuntu has been a very, VERY steep downhill slope. One bad decision after another.

It doesn't overwrite their complaints, which tend to be very accurate and critical for a legitimate reason. You can be an unlikable person and still have a valid perspective.

EDIT: Uh, part of a piling on. Sorry.
MThanded

Who cares? That's not even relevant.
A Human Becoming

That's the only time I thought the Team Meat guys came off as condescending. The real villain of the movie was Phil Fish, who acted like a psycho asshole.
animlboogy
(12-23-2012, 03:45 AM)
They're totally likable in that movie. Phil Fish, not so much. But Team Meat?

EDIT: Tee hee, pile on. Sorry dude.
Cipherr

That, sorta doesnt matter at all. Someone took their stuff and sold it without their permission, and seemingly had no intentions of paying for it until they were busted.
Tunavi

The fuck? Is this for real?

They're very likable, sorry these opinions from indie developers about mainstream games don't align with yours. Grow up.
InfiniteNine
Rolling Girl
(12-23-2012, 03:46 AM)

Originally Posted by animlboogy

They're totally likable in that movie. Phil Fish, not so much. But Team Meat?

Well from what I've seen they all come off as unlikable.
A Human Becoming
(12-23-2012, 03:47 AM)

Originally Posted by InfiniteNine

How anyone found Edmund McMillen unlikable in that movie is beyond me.
faceless007
AAA ETHER
(12-23-2012, 03:47 AM)

Having a valid opinion makes them not likable?
MThanded
(12-23-2012, 03:48 AM)

Originally Posted by InfiniteNine

Wait beyond that not being relevant, they came off as very likable in the movie. I'm confused.
Bowling Pin
(12-23-2012, 03:48 AM)

I did watch Indie Game: The Movie. I thought they were alright, but my opinion of their personal character is irrelevant.

Again, if another organization saw fit to profit from my own hard work without my consent, I would be less than "likable" myself. Closer to "murderous."
JaxJag
Banned
(12-23-2012, 03:52 AM)

Originally Posted by faceless007

Having a valid opinion makes them not likable?

No, saying things like "I want to communicate with people, but don't want to meet them because I'd probably wouldn't like them" does.

http://youtu.be/GhaT78i1x2M?t=24s
Haunted

Originally Posted by A Human Becoming

How anyone found Edmund McMillen unlikable in that movie is beyond me.

I find people who find McMillen in that movie unlikable, unlikable.
InfiniteNine
Rolling Girl

Originally Posted by MThanded

Wait beyond that not being relevant, they came off as very likable in the movie. I'm confused.

Well I was talking about the people in the movie in general not Team Meat specifically. I probably should have clarified there since I thought Team Meat was alright.
jediyoshi
(12-23-2012, 03:53 AM)

They just aren't very likable.

Maybe you're just thinking of Phil Fish. I want to believe you are confused.