• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Online II Open Beta and Information Thread

i assume after installing the exe from the torrent. it won't update since servers are down? the updater would pop up and then disappears.

the success of this will depend on

a) do people still remember RO?
b) can any crappy laptop/pc run it?
c) can people get over the so-so graphics. 2d cutesy moe korean animation had its appeal.

harSon

Banned
Anyone from the Beta days remember: "I Thai, gimme zenny" or "555"

The fact that a game had poor migrant beggars always cracked me up Lol...

Darryl

Banned
i was expecting way more out of this after the cool Ragnarok Odyssey footage. i want to dismiss it as another cheap WoW clone but 'll probably give it a try to check it out. hopefully it has some interesting parts.

i am starting to run out of old school MMO remakes to look forward though. Ultimate Online? EQ3?

Mognet

I remember when I wanted to play this years ago... I was shocked when I received an email from them regarding its release since I completely forgot about it.

tafer

Welp, long ago I said I was going to stay away from this MMORPG thanks to RO. I guess it's time to come back.

Hehehe, I hope I'll see the old pvp addicts from Loki over there.

Rubius

I remember hearing the Intro of RO2 for the first time years ago in RO2-Version 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RymfcYLhc4I
Awesome song.
Pretty sure I wont ever play RO2, as I realized that having a thousand library long Backlogerry and playing MMO is not good.
Tried replaying RO1 for nostalgia sake a few months back. It changed. Too much for my taste.
Still one of the best OST in video games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PNgdMcQprs
Always make me smile.
Best Christmas song out there btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-Ug2lqIVo

Sora_N

Direct link and the torrent links don't work atm, but one of the alt links seem to work, downloading right now.

Teknoman

The first showing of RO2 was very poor.

I remember seeing demos of it where one guy was stuck attacking a poring for what seems to be several hours before killing it. Then there was that horrid battle music that comes on when you fight. WHO THE FUCK PUTS BATTLE MUSIC IN MMOS?

Square does, and they do it right. If you cant make a good, scene setting battle or boss battle theme, just leave it alone :p

Aeana

Square does, and they do it right.

I dunno. The battle music in SE MMOs is good but it's old after a couple of hours. I honestly prefer field music to continue through battles. Especially if there are only a handful of battle themes in the game (or worse, in DQ10's case, only one). Incidentally, this is also one of my major gripes with Xenoblade.

Square does, and they do it right.

Umm FF14 is god awful.

Aside from the point, Battle Music simply takes you out of the environment. For a game like RO, a mob could take less than a second to kill. Having a battle music go in and out for a moment is simply jarring.

It just sort of works for FF14 because the battle system is terrible, boring, and dragged out, so that the music might be the only highlight of playing that stupid game.

Boss battle works, but even WoW does that.

Xanathus

Does running the client currently only make a "Ragnarok2 Updater" pop up for awhile, then it shuts down by itself automatically and then nothing else happens? I was expecting a dialogue prompt asking me for that password they posted on the website.

Any details on specs required to play this? My wife and I have been wanting to get into an MMO together tho we only have one high powered PC and one low-tier laptop.

Any details on specs required to play this? My wife and I have been wanting to get into an MMO together tho we only have one high powered PC and one low-tier laptop.

http://ro2.playpark.net/downloads/system-requirements/

2003 called, they want their specs back
KuGsj.gif

good news for people with old rigs or laptops with integrated or meh gpus

Raide

Does running the client currently only make a "Ragnarok2 Updater" pop up for awhile, then it shuts down by itself automatically and then nothing else happens? I was expecting a dialogue prompt asking me for that password they posted on the website.

Could be because its not up till 27th?

Platy

OP updated with more information about the game. :) see you on the beta!

So this will be the oficial Open Beta thread ?

Might just add something along the lines of "I played the beta 3 years ago and it sucked - hey ! it is a whole new game !"

rouken

So this will be the oficial Open Beta thread ?

Might just add something along the lines of "I played the beta 3 years ago and it sucked - hey ! it is a whole new game !"

yep. :) many people already posted here so might as well make it an info thread. will ask a mod to change the title.

The only problem I have with RO1 now is that the lag really destroys me. It's server side lag.

RO is filled with shit that one shots you, especially since I was playing a priest. It really blows to lose XP because of tremendous lag.

Also, the controls are definitely finicky now. Hope Project R1 implements some keyboard movement controls.

Top Bottom