• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: GTA V March 26th, 2013

7he Talon

At least, according to Amazon. So it's by no means official; but a recent article informs us...
Amazon has been known to paste random release dates (usually the end of the next year, i.e. December 31st 2013) on big name games without publicly confirmed release dates, and it’s to be taken with a grain of salt on most occasions.

However, today, Amazon has updated their GTA V listing to reflect a new release date: March 26th, 2013. Note that the listing does not reflect this date, but any existing pre-orders received an email today about an amended release date. Pictured is my email.

The screencap says the 27th, but that is due to my old next day shipping still being on the order.

This is a Tuesday, which makes sense in the US for a release, and since Rockstar has promised a Spring release, this lines up perfectly.

Factor in how GTA IV came out in April of 2008, and it makes perfect sense.
Here's the email.
gta-v-release-date.png

Could it be true?

(Lock if this is old news)

If true, March is going to be a bloodbath. Still think May is the most likely answer. Get it out there right before the next gen console E3.

Can't imagine Take Two would want it to release on the same day as BioShock.

Oh then defintely a placeholder. Bioshock and GTA won't even be in the same month.

Gartooth

I'm skeptical if only because I don't understand why Take Two would be at all alright with having both GTA V and Bioshock Infinite releasing in the same week.

Gorillaz

Rockstar afraid of Naughty Dog/The Last of Us confirmed?

Lol naw but that has to be pretty conflicting have have 2 games within the same publisher come out weeks apart.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I obviously made it up, just saying that they usually have placeholder stuff for dates

Sure, but Amazon specifically changed the date on this game. Surely it has to mean a little something instead of December 31, 2012

Normally I don't put much stock in this stuff but if so that'd be great.

Although its a bit of a bummer for Bioshock Infinite.

Squire

Banned
Are you serious, OP? It'll be a cold day in hell before 2K launches this and BioShock simultaneously.

Thread locked in 5... 4... 3...

MormaPope

Banned
April 30th, 2013 is probably the most sound release date guess. GTA IV came out worldwide/US on April 29th.

EDIT: Goofed up release dates.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From the way Bioshock is looking, any delay could help them, and that leaves GTA V in the fiscal year to make some bank.

MormaPope

Banned
If GTA V ends releasing the same day as Infinite was scheduled, I'd assume Infinite will get a two week or month delay.

GTA IV was supposed to be released in Oct 2007, got pushed to April 29th 2008
Red Dead Redemption was supposed to be in April, got pushed to May 18th 2010.
LA Noire was released on May 17th 2011.
Max Payne 3 was released on May 15th 2012.

See a date trend?

Also Take Two's fiscal year ends in March, so they would be pushing for a higher expectation this fiscal year. In all honesty it would be better to just let NBA 2K3 and Borderlands 2 do all the heavy lifting, and perhaps Bioshock Infinite, which is slated for that very same date (March 26th 2013) to as well and bleed into the next fiscal year, so GTA V and Bioshock Infinite can lead the charge on the new FY.

Of course you could continue your rampant speculation, acting like either an uber fan boy or an investor (not sure which is worse) and delude yourself and others into the eventual let down when the game comes out mid May, as it is predestined to.

Just wait for like the 3rd or 4th story trailer to have a date on it, then add 2 weeks.

Squire

Banned
Infinite's already been delayed again. They've announced that, they've re-premiered and previewed it; they're in marketing swing. The delay ship has sailed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I still feel like GTAV will hit in May. If this is true, though, March is a clusterfuck of games and this is going to really hurt most of them.

Bgamer90

Banned
Man; a lot of games would have to get pushed (haha).

2013 is going to be a crazy year for gaming. Tons of AAA titles during the first half of the year and then (more than likely) new next gen console(s) for the last half.

March
Grand Theft Auto V
Bioshock Infinite
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
Gears of War: Judgement
God of War: Ascension
Tomb Raider
Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate
SimCity
Metro: Last Light
MLB 13: The Show
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Army of Two: The Devil's cartel
Luigi's Mansion 2
Fuse
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Expected
Trackmania 2: Valley (early 2013)
Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs (Q1)
DayZ (early 2013)

phwoar

Petrae

The question that I have is: Would TTWO be willing to sacrifice Infinite if it meant getting GTA in under the wire for this fiscal year?

If it's indeed too late to delay Infinite further, but GTA V has the potential to launch just under the wire and push FY revenue much closer to TTWO projections, it's arguable to throw Infinite under the bus and just get GTA out there. It's not the wisest choice, IMO, but it's far from an impossible scenario.

GTA outsells everything. It's as close to a guaranteed sale as this business gets, next to Call of Duty. Releasing it in March-- if it's indeed ready-- isn't a terrible play. If it runs over Infinite and makes it irrelevant, that money still goes to TTWO.

Top Bottom