• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

So now that i have a house and by proxy a yard. I want to get into smoking. I currently have a gas grill that i like for convenience but wants to get a charcoal one as well. I see a couple have smokers you can add on to the side, are these worthwhile?

What's your budget? A Big Green Egg is awesome but the cost is $$$. I love mine. Not sure about the hybrids but another popular smoker is the Weber Smokey Mountain. I think I'd prefer to get a dedicated smoker instead of a grill with a smoker add-on. You could just buy a Weber kettle grill and a WSM.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That article paints an awfully bleak picture for stick burners. Yeah there are other options other than the char grill but obviously you don't need to mod it to hell and back like they suggest for great food. And you certainly don't need to drop several grand on a reverse flow pit like a Lang. If you've got the extra money then by all means go for a more expensive brand but if a char grill is all one can afford then don't let this article discourage you from buying one and getting into BBQ.

After reading that article, I definitely was discouraged. I am going to go looking this weekend to do some pricing. Here in Houston there is no shortage of places to go look.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What's your budget? A Big Green Egg is awesome but the cost is $$$. I love mine. Not sure about the hybrids but another popular smoker is the Weber Smokey Mountain. I think I'd prefer to get a dedicated smoker instead of a grill with a smoker add-on. You could just buy a Weber kettle grill and a WSM.
on the flip side there is only one thing on the outside of the egg to rust, so it should last beyond your lifetime.

After reading that article, I definitely was discouraged. I am going to go looking this weekend to do some pricing. Here in Houston there is no shortage of places to go look.
even our grocery stores have smokers!

ag-my001

I was in Houston last summer (Sugarland, but whatever) and the HEB had golden cow grills. You could grill a sirloin in the approximate location of the sirloin. I'd imagine they were also good for Old Testament reenactments.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Yup. That is exactly where I am going to look, lol. I sure as hell can't afford http://www.pittsandspitts.com/

I was in Houston last summer (Sugarland, but whatever) and the HEB had golden cow grills. You could grill a sirloin in the approximate location of the sirloin. I'd imagine they were also good for Old Testament reenactments.

What? How did I miss that?

ColdPizza

Banned
Probably going to do 2 shoulders this weekend or 1 shoulder, 1 brisket...my friend just had a baby so I thought it would be cool to deliver him some BBQ.

zbarron

Probably going to do 2 shoulders this weekend or 1 shoulder, 1 brisket...my friend just had a baby so I thought it would be cool to deliver him some BBQ.
That's a great idea. As someone who has a two month old, having some ready to eat food is one of the best gifts for a new parent. Pulled pork is great since it's so versatile.
Mac N Cheese, Pizza, Nachos, Cubanos, shepherds pie with corn bread crust. served with eggs, by itself. Fuck now I want to make one, and I think my family is getting a little sick of smoked pork for every other meal.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Don't act like you're not impressed!

qRMzyXl.jpg

Weber all the way man. I still have my Weber Genesis from 2003. Parts are still available. They just last forever. You pay more up front but you can see where the money goes.

Hey just wanted to update you. I took your advice and got the Weber Genesis s-310. Just assembled it today. Will try it this weekend!!! Thanks for the input!

ColdPizza

Banned
Hey just wanted to update you. I took your advice and got the Weber Genesis s-310. Just assembled it today. Will try it this weekend!!! Thanks for the input!

Awesome! I'm actually excited for you and would love to hear what you think after you get a few cooks under your belt. Enjoy the real even heat!

Paskil

Yawp, doing three shoulders this weekend. Two for coworkers and one for a baby shower next week. Going to snake a little off the two I'm making for coworkers since they won't notice after I claw it apart. :)

soryr just getitng back on here. $400 max, it needs to be usable as a straight charcoal grill as well.

hows this thing that on sale today?

Char-Griller 06620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker, Red

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJEPP92/?tag=neogaf0e-20

soryr just getitng back on here. $400 max, it needs to be usable as a straight charcoal grill as well.

I have this very grill and love it. The only thing I would do is add a Nomex strip to the body to help seal it a little better on the lid and bottom damper/ash pan. I did that to mine and the temps hold a helluva lot more steadily. The newer models probably fix this, but the mod is super cheap and easy to do. If I had the money I'd be using a BGE but this is definitely a great lower cost alternative.

I know I've seen the one with a prep table attached for $250 at HEB here in San Antonio a few times, which is a damned steal.

Just get a Weber Kettle $99 and a Slow N Sear for $89. With your budget you could even bump up to the 26" kettle and come in right near $400.
Damn, the new 26" Slow n Sear looks really nice. It has a new grate at the bottom so charcoal doesn't fall through, and the larger size provides a longer cooking time.

Is there any reason I'd need two kettle grills? haha I want to somehow justify upgrading my 22" setup.

zbarron

I was considering this once upon a time. It's supposed to be a really nice grill/smoker, but I heard it won't last as long as other models and the warranty isn't as nice as Weber's. Still while it lasts it is supposed to be very efficient.

Just get a Weber Kettle $99 and a Slow N Sear for $89. With your budget you could even bump up to the 26" kettle and come in right near $400.
I plan on getting a Slow N Sear for Father's day.

If you plan on going this route and don't mind going slightly over budget ABC BBQ recently came out with the Slow N Sear XL That would give you a great grill, great smoker and tons of workable area (remeber you can use the top and bottom racks)

The Original SnS works with the 26" too.

EDIT:
Damn, the new 26" Slow n Sear looks really nice. It has a new grate at the bottom so charcoal doesn't fall through, and the larger size provides a longer cooking time.

Is there any reason I'd need two kettle grills? haha I want to somehow justify upgrading my 22" setup.
Beat me to it.
Going to try the snake method out tomorrow for the first time... Hoping it works out
This is the only way I smoke currently. It is so stable and foolproof I love it. My only complaint is it takes a few minutes to set the snake up and it really reduces the usable area. I like to make a bowl with a square of HD tin foil in the middle and I fold the corners making a hexagon and then crimp the edges which makes it round and bowl shaped. You can fill that with water if you want. Also make sure your charcoals are touching/overlapping.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Decided to save some time today smoking so I picked up a couple racks of pork loin back ribs and beef short ribs.

Beef short ribs are in my opinion one of the finest pieces of BBQ when done right. Huge fucking ribs that look like they came off a T Rex, lol. I have been wanting to smoke some again for a few weeks now. I hope yours turn out great!

zbarron

I'm starting to run a little low on Stubbs charcoal so I grabbed a 2 pack of Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes. 2x12lb bags was selling at my Walmart for $7.78 I believe. It was a good price and it's rated really well at TheSweetHome. Scroll for graphs. It has a lower burn temp and a longer burn time than Stubbs so this might be a good one for low and slow.

Does anyone else here use these or do you all use Kingsford?

I'm starting to run a little low on Stubbs charcoal so I grabbed a 2 pack of Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes. 2x12lb bags was selling at my Walmart for $7.78 I believe. It was a good price and it's rated really well at TheSweetHome. Scroll for graphs. It has a lower burn temp and a longer burn time than Stubbs so this might be a good one for low and slow.

Does anyone else here use these or do you all use Kingsford?
I use kingsford for grilling and Stubbs for smoking.

Edit: after reading that article, I'm just gonna switch to Stubbs full time. I always find it at Lowe's.

zbarron

I use kingsford for grilling and Stubbs for smoking.

Edit: after reading that article, I'm just gonna switch to Stubbs full time. I always find it at Lowe's.
You use a Slow N Sear right? It's good to know it works well there. Until now I've used Stubbs exclusively this season. I love it. All natural so I don't need it fully lit before it goes in, little ash and a ton of stored energy. I'll give impressions on Royal Oak. I haven't used it yet but Cowboy offers a $1 off coupon on Stubbs
http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/couponLanding.html

ColdPizza

Banned
YZFIub1.png

3mXKL90.png

My friends raved about everything. I thought the beef ribs were on the chewier side but still really good. More like steak texture than fall apart.

Pork ribs were probably my best and the beans with bacon and rub were on point. All in all happy with my output today.

Paskil

27lbs of pork shoulder (three shoulders) dry brining in the fridge. I made the mistake of buying one of those boneless two packs from Costco. The meat almost had a butterfly cut. Not sure how they'll turn out. Plan on tossing them in the smoker in a few hours.

mcfrank

27lbs of pork shoulder (three shoulders) dry brining in the fridge. I made the mistake of buying one of those boneless two packs from Costco. The meat almost had a butterfly cut. Not sure how they'll turn out. Plan on tossing them in the smoker in a few hours.

I do those fairly frequently, they turn out well.

Chris R

Snake method was a great success, next time will be even better now that I know how high I need to stack my coals to get 250F. It was so damn steady.

Only problem was I didn't rotate my meat, so the rack of ribs closer to the coals is overly done to the point of being inedible :(

Back rack was fucking delicious though.

0KYeJro.png

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I shouldn't have come back to this thread, now I have to go raid the freezer for some meat.
The last couple of pages have some really god-tier BBQ on them!

So I have a 22" weber kettle grill and got a slow n sear over the weekend

was really god damn excited about it, followed the instructions on how to properly lay out the coals and everything.

Then the grill rose to 400 degrees and I fought for 2 hours to get it to lower and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't ever go down

I had closed the bottom vent entirely and had the top like 99% closed, still at 400 degrees.

Noticed smoke coming out from under the lid

after all that I went to clean it up and saw some of the little vent blades in the bottom seem to not sit on the grill but are bent upwards, so I'm guessing I have multiple leaks all over this thing and now I'm bummed out.

Is there an easy way to fix those? should I just buy a new damn grill and start over with the process?

not even sure what to do about the smoke pouring out of the lid either but I'm guessing the coals were getting too much oxygen from everywhere

EDIT: when I poured the coals I filled the entire thing up like it suggests but maybe that's where the issue begins? I had some wood chunks to use and they fit fine without having to move the grate at all so I dont know

I also had a pretty small pork butt (3 pounds after trimming) so maybe I just had too much fuel for the meat?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
You probably lit too many coals at first, sounds like you may have filled it with lit coals for the temp to be that high. Slow n sear uses the minion method and you only light a handful at first.

zbarron

You probably lit too many coals at first, sounds like you may have filled it with lit coals for the temp to be that high. Slow n sear uses the minion method and you only light a handful at first.
This.

Also you can pick up some Large Binder Clips from Staples or another office supply store around you.

25589122602_d83821d3da_b.jpg

Just put 4 or so of them around the perimeter. That'll seal it up in no time.

I will say though, there is a much better solution. Register your weber on Weber.com if you haven't already, and then call them. I called them saying I was getting leaks under the lid and they said that shouldn't be happening. They asked that I made sure it was the lid that was not perfectly circular and not the base and when I said it was the lid they shipped me a new lid at no charge, and the new one came with a silicone grip on the handle for the top vent so you can adjust it without wearing gloves. Weber customer service is fantastic.

Mostly though you shouldn't have lit all of your charcoal. Go to their website. They have videos showing how to do it.

Nope, I counted out 12 briquettes (of stubbs), lit them in the corner with a starter cube, and waited 15-20 minutes and threw in the rest of the coals.

Started about 2 PM and by 3:30 it was up to 400

zbarron

Nope, I counted out 12 briquettes (of stubbs), lit them in the corner with a starter cube, and waited 15-20 minutes and threw in the rest of the coals.

What kind of thermometer were you using? Also did you just leave it alone with both vents wide open until 3:30? I've found it's a lot easier to get the temperature up than it is to get it back down. If you closed your vents most of the way once it hit 200 then it might be your leaks. Call Weber and tell them all the areas that are leaking. They might be able to help and it's easier than modding and cheaper than buying a new unit.

I don't have a ton of leakage under my lid, but I've still tried to apply large binder clips and they just slip right off. Any suggestions?

That's definitely not normal. I'd bet your main issue is leakage from the lower vent. And just to confirm - you are using a prob, right? Versus the gauge on the lid.

zbarron

I don't have a ton of leakage under my lid, but I've still tried to apply large binder clips and they just slip right off. Any suggestions?
First is your probe cord running under the lid or through the vent? I still don't know the best way to do it but when it's under the lid I obviously get more leakage.

Do you see the picture I posted? Just like that. If it won't clip in one spot try moving it to either side. Also you want it as far pushed in as you can if that makes sense.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

If you're putting the lit coals on bottom of the unlit coals then you're essentially turning that thing into one big chimney starter which possibly explains the rapid rise in temp. Every time I see someone use an apparatus like that (Smokenator, etc) the lit coals go on top of the unlit coals. I've never used one, however. But that could be what caused that and from my experience Weber dome thermometers are fairly accurate.

ColdPizza

Banned
If you're putting the lit coals on bottom of the unlit coals then you're essentially turning that thing into one big chimney starter which possibly explains the rapid rise in temp. Every time I see someone use an apparatus like that (Smokenator, etc) the lit coals go on top of the unlit coals. I've never used one, however. But that could be what caused that and from my experience Weber dome thermometers are fairly accurate.

I wouldn't trust them. They can be off by as much as 50. Best bet is to get a digital thermometer and clip it at grate level, or cut a potato or apple in half and put the probe thru that with the tip exposed to lay it flat above the grate by about half an inch.

zbarron

I wouldn't trust them. They can be off by as much as 50. Best bet is to get a digital thermometer and clip it at grate level, or cut a potato or apple in half and put the probe thru that with the tip exposed to lay it flat above the grate by about half an inch.
They're off by more than that depending on vent position. The thermometer is on the opposite side of the top vent so if you have the vent over the indirect side which is recommended your thermometer is over the direct side and is giving a much higher reading.

So I have a 22" weber kettle grill and got a slow n sear over the weekend

was really god damn excited about it, followed the instructions on how to properly lay out the coals and everything.

Then the grill rose to 400 degrees and I fought for 2 hours to get it to lower and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't ever go down

I had closed the bottom vent entirely and had the top like 99% closed, still at 400 degrees.

Noticed smoke coming out from under the lid

after all that I went to clean it up and saw some of the little vent blades in the bottom seem to not sit on the grill but are bent upwards, so I'm guessing I have multiple leaks all over this thing and now I'm bummed out.

Is there an easy way to fix those? should I just buy a new damn grill and start over with the process?

not even sure what to do about the smoke pouring out of the lid either but I'm guessing the coals were getting too much oxygen from everywhere

EDIT: when I poured the coals I filled the entire thing up like it suggests but maybe that's where the issue begins? I had some wood chunks to use and they fit fine without having to move the grate at all so I dont know

I also had a pretty small pork butt (3 pounds after trimming) so maybe I just had too much fuel for the meat?

Alot of those leaks are going to close up over time. The inside of your grill is going to get residue built up on it and it'll see any little cracks and holes from the metal not sitting perfectly.

Smoke some really fatty stuff, like a few pork butts, and some ribs and you'll seal up those little leaks fast.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the things like the smokenator, or slow and sear, I say give the snake method (if you're not sure I can post examples and how to set it up) a try a few times. I've just found it way way way easier to get that low temperature for smoking, compared to the devices.

Also yeah listen to everyone and get a digital thermometer that will go at the grate level. The one's Weber puts into to the top of it's lids are bi-metal thermometers and just due to their nature can be wildly off temp. Plus the temperature at the grate is going to be different than the temp at the lid.

First is your probe cord running under the lid or through the vent? I still don't know the best way to do it but when it's under the lid I obviously get more leakage.

Do you see the picture I posted? Just like that. If it won't clip in one spot try moving it to either side. Also you want it as far pushed in as you can if that makes sense.
Probe is through the vent. Looking at your pic, I think my problem is that my binder clips are too big. I have the largest size, but yours look medium size. I'll try that!

Personally I'm not a big fan of the things like the smokenator, or slow and sear, I say give the snake method (if you're not sure I can post examples and how to set it up) a try a few times. I've just found it way way way easier to get that low temperature for smoking, compared to the devices.
But have you tried the Slow n Sear? It's awesome even just for 2-zone grilling; you don't even have to put water in it. Much preferred over the standard Weber charcoal trays.

But have you tried the Slow n Sear? It's awesome even just for 2-zone grilling; you don't even have to put water in it. Much preferred over the standard Weber charcoal trays.

No, because I'm not spending 90 bucks to accomplish something I can already do for free. I tried a smokenator last year, simply because I found a used one on craigslist for super cheaper. I was super not happy with it. Specially when you need to add coals to extend a cook.

The snake method just works perfectly for me, I never have issues with it, and it takes make 10 minutes of setup time.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't mean to be that guy, but personally, I was never going to be truly satisfied with my bbq until I bought a dedicated smoker.

JoeBoy101

Alright, quick question for the thread:

I'm smoking some Butt this Saturday and wanted some ideas on a side to go with the pulled pork. I'm trying to eat better, so I'm avoiding BBQ sandwiches, bread, pasta and the like so I'm just having the pulled pork straight. What would you all suggest as a tasty side to go along with it. My thoughts were heading towards a bacon corn hash or something.

ag-my001

I like a cole slaw or a broccoli salad. Yeah, they have sugar in the sauce, but no starches and maybe even fiber. Plus they taste really good.

For the unhealthy side option, it's hard to beat BBQ followed up by a peach cobbler.

Top Bottom