• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

donny2112

I still cant believe they havent put gba games for sale on the 3DS shop.

The Ambassador GBA games seem very hacked in. No ability to pop out of game and browse web and pop back in, no save states. It just runs under the DS mode without any of the 3DS features. They may not want to put GBA games in to avoid getting people's hopes up that it would be like the other VC titles on 3DS.

the US was down in Oct/Nov and I assume will be down in December,

It had really good sales (as in price discounts) in December, so it could be flat YOY in sales (units sold). November sales (as in price discounts) were just terrible.

Hmm. I don't think Sony managed to get retailers to hold millions of units.

Retailers managed to sell through around 1.2M in the US and Japan of the initial 1.7M PS3 shipment in CY06Q4. 500K in the US/JPN retail channels.

They subsequently only sold through another ~900K in the US and Japan in CY07Q1; but shipped 1.8M units globally. So a cumulative 2.1M sold-through in the US and Japan of a 3.5M global shipment. The keyword being global at this point though.

Presumably they only managed to do this because the bulk of this 1.4M units in the retail channels was for the PAL territories launch (which was pretty much shown by the paltry 0.7M units shipped in CY07Q2).

Wasn't that back when Sony was counting every unit created as "shipped" (i.e. "production shipments) instead of waiting for actual retail orders to count a unit as shipped?

I think something to keep in mind when comparing Wii U to Wii is acknowledging that Wii was a phenomenon in Japan because of Wii Sports and Wii Play- (though Zelda certainly sold ok in the end). I'm not saying those games don't count or anything like that- but I do think that in terms of building a userbase receptive to more core game experiences, NSMB U, NintendoLand (I swear!!), and to a much lesser extent MH 3G HD might be more valuable towards that goal.

I dunno..just thinking out loud.

Yes. Just need more third-party core game sales. Not sure how to accomplish that (really disappointed in AC3 and BOpsII's apparent reception in U.S., despite the late releases, and not much on Wii U selling for third-parties outside of MH3G in Japan), but it's a need. More simultaneous release multi-plats with PS3 would certainly help. Just need to get potential core-ish/whatever buyers interested in the system with something exclusive and then get them to stay with steady supply of mutli-plats. MH3G and DQX should be something toward that goal in Japan, but the empty release schedule isn't seeming too promising. :/

Scum

Yes. Just need more third-party core game sales. Not sure how to accomplish that (really disappointed in AC3 and BOpsII's apparent reception in U.S., despite the late releases, and not much on Wii U selling for third-parties outside of MH3G in Japan), but it's a need. More simultaneous release multi-plats with PS3 would certainly help. Just need to get potential core-ish/whatever buyers interested in the system with something exclusive and then get them to stay with steady supply of mutli-plats. MH3G and DQX should be something toward that goal in Japan, but the empty release schedule isn't seeming too promising. :/

If only MS didn't have a grip on the marketing shenanigans for Black Ops II. That'd help out quite a bit if Nintendo could show that more on the system. But could definitely do with a piggyback off the PS3. I'll take niche titles on the eShop.
Bayonetta: Climax Edition, NCL, and you can name your price!

What are some realistic numbers for Wii U? I saw "1.2m" but those are just shipped numbers and I see Wii U's on shelves everywhere.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I was informed in the last thread that this tracking period is traditionally the biggest shopping week of the Japanese calendar; and the Wii U should consequently be expected to hold or rise, rather than drop.
You were informed wrong in the last thread. Weekly sales vary greatly year-to-year depending when the holidays hit. It changes the flow and shopping patterns of season, how much time on the charts people have to buy in preparation for a holiday and how much the buy afterwards.
It's been mentioned and somewhat dismissed in this thread but the day after new year's has major influence of outcome of that week's sales. This season is date-aligned to the 2007-2008 holiday season. In that season, Week 51 was the largest overall, but total hardware sales peaked in Week 1.

If you look at past numbers for just launched consoles it's not even particularly disappointing. New Super Mario Bros. U is an evergreen title so January really will not be as brutal as everyone seems to, against logic, think.

This actually seems pretty close to what the Wii was doing. I realize that it was supply constrained a great deal at this point in its life, but it's performing on par with the PS3 at its highest points and for some reason very few people on GAF regard that system as a failure, yet Wii U is somehow bombing.

I think a lot of people see PS3 as a failure in Japan, but that feeling started to subside once it was clear that console popularity was diminishing substantially across the board and Wii never quite took off to tthe degree people expected. Now it's just seen as underwhelming.

Wii U is a bit in the same boat regardless. The lineup is kind of redundant with the 3DS and we all see who is winning that battle over there.

Arkam

Not a bad showing for WiiU. Not setting the world on fire just yet, but still that should put it right around 2 million sold world wide. Not bad for just over a month on the market and no must have killer app.

I do really wonder how the momentum will be impacted if they do not start marketing much more heavily and announcing something big. E3 is way to far to be holding on to big games that can be used in marketing.

I think a lot of people see PS3 as a failure in Japan, but that feeling started to subside once it was clear that console popularity was diminishing substantially across the board and Wii never quite took off to tthe degree people expected. Now it's just seen as underwhelming.

I'm not sure i completely agree this. I know in general handhelds have taken over in terms of popularity but isn't it possible this is due to the PS3 and the wii simply not being that appealing (don't really need to mention the 360)? Maybe if the wii had actually seen some decent support or if sony hadn't completely fucked up with the PS3 the market wouldn't have shrunk by so much.

The console market shrinking may have been inevitable but i don't think the dominance of handhelds are the sole reason the console market has struggled.

donny2112

This season is date-aligned to the 2007-2008 holiday season. In that season, Week 51 was the largest overall, but total hardware sales peaked in Week 1.

In 2007-2008 for the systems that sold > 50K (i.e. the ones that matter), it was 51 > 1 > 52 for Wii/DS and 1 > 51 > 52 for PS3/PSP. The total amount went up because PSP was so up in that first week. Really weird for PSP, actually, since the Top 13 that first 2008 week were for Nintendo systems. Don't think any Sony systems will be having a really big first week 2013 this time, so that would probably make this past week the biggest of the three with first week 2013 just behind.

Just going off historical numbers, anyways.

Edit:
Of course if the 3DS is really the PSP2 (mentioned earlier in the thread), maybe it'll go up in Week 1 2013 compared to Week 51 2012. :p

OP

MrT-Tar

Bayonetta: Climax Edition, NCL, and you can name your price!

I rarely double dip, but I would download that day 1. Honestly, I would be very surprised if Nintendo didn't offer the original Bayonetta for WiiU in some form (either as a download or free with Bayonetta 2, etc).

Scum

Seeing this game crop up, again and again, just makes me chuckle for some reason. Dem legs! :D

17./14. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 34.101 / 316.724 (+77%)

bow.gif

ibzqU1ah0vKBwX.gif

3DS hardware: 9.5 million
PS3 hardware: 8.7 million

Best selling 3DS game: 2.1 million (ACNL)
Best selling PS3 game: 1.9 million (FFXIII)

Next goal:

Wii hardware: 12.6 million
Best selling Wii game: 4.4 million (NSMBWii)
I love this gif.

"3D Land gets a head start as Mario Kart follows."
"Monster Hunter starts strong but still in last, while Mario Kart takes the lead!"
"Mario appears and gains on Monster Hunter, but still behind!" "Mario Kart is almost there, can it make it?"
Animal Crossing: "lolno" *zooms past the 2m mark*

guek

Banned
If you look at past numbers for just launched consoles it's not even particularly disappointing. New Super Mario Bros. U is an evergreen title so January really will not be as brutal as everyone seems to, against logic, think.

This actually seems pretty close to what the Wii was doing. I realize that it was supply constrained a great deal at this point in its life, but it's performing on par with the PS3 at its highest points and for some reason very few people on GAF regard that system as a failure, yet Wii U is somehow bombing.

It's only disappointing in the context of week 51. Any other time of the year, I'd say these numbers would be very strong. But the fact that it was a hold and not a rise in sales...I think at best we can only say's it's currently unclear whether most of those sales were due to strong interest or simply because of the holiday craze.

The next few weeks will be very telling indeed. I'm praying for a surprise ND. They need one badly.

I'm not sure i completely agree this. I know in general handhelds have taken over in terms of popularity but isn't it possible this is due to the PS3 and the wii simply not being that appealing (don't really need to mention the 360)? Maybe if the wii had actually seen some decent support or if sony hadn't completely fucked up with the PS3 the market wouldn't have shrunk by so much.

The console market shrinking may have been inevitable but i don't think the dominance of handhelds are the sole reason the console market has struggled.

They're unappealing precisely because they're consoles and not handhelds. PS3 has a pretty great lineup, but they're more suited to playing at home and require a decent amount of time investment by the time you sit down and play.

Japanese culture for games seems very different compared to the west. I'm not confident that consoles will ever come back in style over there unless AAA western style games take off, which seems a bit unlikely although they have started to become a bit more popular than they once were.

It's also why I think that while the Vita looks all but dead right now, that it could perk up significantly down the line if Sony makes the right moves.

donny2112

Seeing this game crop up, again and again, just makes me chuckle for some reason. Dem legs! :D

20K behind KH:3D's latest number. Probably some more off-chart growth for KH, though, so probably two week for Run For Money to pass up that "big" game released earlier in 2012.

PerZona

Oh wow the 3DS, no systems can touch it's numbers. Damn. Anyway the PS Vita has a slight bump in sales, is it because of the AKB48 bundle or something? lol.

EDarkness

Yeah if there isn't any stock problem (which seems the case), WiiU is in trouble. When there is a week like that and almost every console sees a raise (even the Vita had a 50% raise) and this is the only one dropping... If you remove the Christmas week general effect, that's a big drop.

I just returned from Bic Camera in Fujisawa (needed to buy a new tube for my bike tire) and they're all sold out of Wii Us. The game store around the corner is also all sold out. I think availability is spotty and really depends on the area you're in. On Sunday, the same Bic Camera had a stack of Wii Us, so gonna assume they sold out and haven't gotten another shipment in the last couple of days. Christmas doesn't mean anything here, so the holiday wouldn't have affected the supply chain in the country.

Maybe the situation will be different this weekend. I have to go back to get a new Blu-ray drive for my Mac, so I'll take a quick peek at that time as well.

They're unappealing precisely because they're consoles and not handhelds.

How do we know this for sure though? Both the wii and PS3 had some major issues which led to their ultimate failure. The wii was actually doing quite well until it was essentially left to die.

I'm not saying that consoles aren't suffering because of the popularity of handhelds i just don't think that explanation is necessary to explain the performance of the home console market this gen.

PS3 has a pretty great lineup, but they're more suited to playing at home and require a decent amount of time investment by the time you sit down and play.

Does it? How does its line-up compare to previous Sony home consoles? The PS3 sold poorly because it was mismanaged in so many ways. It came out too expensive and without a strong software line-up.

I think the biggest impact the booming handheld sector has had is taking away 3rd party support from home consoles (DQ going handheld exclusive is a big example). Even that though i think is in large part because the PS3 started so slow out of the gate because of the huge mistakes made by sony.

donny2112

is it because of the AKB48 bundle or something? lol.

This is the biggest sales week of the year, typically. Rising tide lifts all ships
except Wii U

I'm not saying that consoles aren't suffering because of the popularity of handhelds i just don't think that explanation is necessary to explain the performance of the home console market this gen.

Yeah, that's just correlation and not necessarily causation. I'm of the opinion that a well-supported Wii U could see significant gains over Wii's LTD performance in Japan, even if it doesn't get back to PS2 levels of hardware sales.

Yeah, that's just correlation and not necessarily causation. I'm of the opinion that a well-supported Wii U could see significant gains over Wii's LTD performance in Japan, even if it doesn't get back to PS2 levels of hardware sales.

This is pretty much what i'm getting at. I think if sony hadn't completely fucked up and if nintendo hadn't basically left the wii for dead we would have saw this generation easily eclipse the last one. It's all hindsight now and we can never know for sure but i don't think handhelds were the problem.

Metallix87

This is pretty much what i'm getting at. I think if sony hadn't completely fucked up and if nintendo hadn't basically left the wii for dead we would have saw this generation easily eclipse the last one. It's all hindsight now and we can never know for sure but i don't think handhelds were the problem.

Nintendo never "left the Wii for dead". The problem was third parties. Third parties never got on the Wii ship, and so when Nintendo started developing the successor systems to DS and Wii, releases slowed down.

I always thought the logical move would've been for third-party developers to release all of their PSP titles on Wii as well, so that they could make some extra money in Japan, but also stand a chance of making a nice profit in the West, where PSP wasn't performing as well as expected.

Worldwide?
For all we know it should be easily over 1,6 million sold through.
Sell through for November NPD and this thread sums to just under 1M.

It would have to:
- have tanked even worse than currently thought in Europe/PAL-Land.
- have tanked in December in the US.
- a combination of the above.

To have failed to reach 1.6M. I think that's a relatively low bar considering the $599 PS3 launching in two regions and the 360 for all intents and purposes launching in two regions sold-through ~1.1-1.2M.

The high bar is presumably the Wii's launch sell-through that I have at ~2.7M - which I can't see it getting anywhere near.

Sell through for November NPD and this thread sums to just under 1M.

It would have to:
- have tanked even worse than currently thought in Europe/PAL-Land.
- have tanked in December in the US.
- a combination of the above.

To have failed to reach 1.6M. I think that's a relatively low bar considering the $599 PS3 launching in two regions and the 360 for all intents and purposes launching in two regions sold-through ~1.1-1.2M.

The high bar is presumably the Wii's launch sell-through that I have at ~2.7M - which I can't see it getting anywhere near.

At the moment we know:

NA: 425k in November(by now should be over 600k in the worst possible scenario, 175k in December is quite a conservative extimation)
Japan: by next week it should reach 600k
Europe: UK 65k by second week, France 100k(iirc), so considering a couple weeks have passed since and there are other big countries it's quite reasonable to expect at least 400k considering whole Europe and Australia in the worst possible scenario.

I thought the negativity surrounding the Wii U numbers was purely sarcasm.

After reading through more posts I'm not sure. It just doesn't make sense - those are respectable numbers.

The hivemind has this impression that we essentially need iPad like figures to have a respectable sales month.

Oersted

PSP+PSV(2011 YTD)=2,413,744
PSP+PSV(2012 YTD)=1,528,060(-36.7%)

Looking ahead to Week 52, PSP+PSV did 105,394 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=4,736,175
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=5,315,801(+12.2%)

Looking ahead to week 52, 3DS+DS did 203,754 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=7,149,919
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=6,843,861(-4.3%)

Some extra info looking ahead, total sales for 2011.
PSP=2,079,152
PSP+PSV=2,519,138

3DS=4,282,142
3DS+DS=4,939,929

All handhelds=7,459,067

You somehow convinced me that Vita is irrelevant at this point.

What are Christmas Eve sales like typically in Japan as week 52 will include this day?

A minor week 50 is likely.

YuChai

I love this gif.

"3D Land gets a head start as Mario Kart follows."
"Monster Hunter starts strong but still in last, while Mario Kart takes the lead!"
"Mario appears and gains on Monster Hunter, but still behind!" "Mario Kart is almost there, can it make it?"
Animal Crossing: "lolno" *zooms past the 2m mark*
I guess the current sale figures not include the download version yet. Actually, animl crossing is the type of game which suits download version most. Really interest to earn the download ratio

AzaK

December NPD numbers will give us good picture of WiiU sales so far as we know Japan sales and from PAL charts we can see that in EU it's bombing hard.
Does anyone have any idea why it's bombing in EU?

Also launch week in UK was 30-40k right? What would be considered a 'normal' launch figure for a console?

I guess the current sale figures not include the download version yet. Actually, animl crossing is the type of game which suits download version most. Really interest to earn the download ratio

IIRC Famitsu charts -correct me if I'm wrong - do track AC's download cards, unlike Media Create.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Absolutely great 3DS and AC New Leaf numbers indeed! Overall, 3DS software is really healthy, good legs for New Mario 2, Paper Mario and Pokemon (also if this one is still disappointing imho), for Run for the Money and so on. To me, good numbers also for the latest two 3DS Level5 games, with LaytonVS that surpasses the 200k selling more than 20k this week and aiming to 250K (and considering Layton main episode on 3ds at 350 and an average 400k for AA, it's good being a spinoff) and Inazuma performing better than the first 3ds episode. Very solid numbers also for MH, MK and Marioland!!!

Good numbers also for the Wii U, even if seeing it drop from last week (just few Ks...) is strange, and probably lead us to the obvious (pre-launch we were all sure about this) conclusion that Wii U will need constant software release to hold, not like the Wii phenomena back in the days (and the actual lack of constant announcments make the next future looks problematic); but the Japanese market reaction is good indeed, probably thanks to the Nintendo and Mario brand awarness.

Very good numbers also for PSP, that testify how the transaction from PSP to Vita is problematic for Sony, also if I think that they are gaining more profit from every PSP sold, compared to Vita.

Flat PS3 is flat. Neither the new model helped in keeping last year's numbers. I think that the home market is full in Japan and also for this Wii U could see some decent numbers, just being a brand new product. The "all sequels" lineup didn't help PS3 in gaining new costumers (andh all the sequels had problems too) and I'm really curious to see what they are planning for next year.

First and foremost, Europe - but not only Europe - is going through a bad patch, with economic recession and all, and this may account for lower revenues than previous years, so Wii U's price tag is not too much appealing to mass market atm.

Besides, Wii U hasn't been advertised as previously Wii, NDS and 3DS had been - with demostations everywhere for customers to familiarize with it before purchasing it - so most people are still unaware of Wii U.

Also launch week in UK was 30-40k right? What would be considered a 'normal' launch figure for a console?

We know as a fact that Wii U has sold at least 65k units in UK by its second week - NintendoLand has sold 65k - and I reckon that should be on par, considering how Nintendo consoles usually have to strive there compared to other countries such as France - namely Nintendo's European stronghold.

At all events, if for all we know UK and France alone could account for 200k units sold, unless Wii U had bombed VERY hard - it's pretty reasonable to expect from the other PAL countries - Germany, Australia, Italy, Spain, Netherlands and so on - to have sold at least the same amount, so 400k for its first month wouldn't seem too bad to me, as much as we know so little about the future.

DrWong

France was 45K first week, 20K second week. Although the source was never verified.

Yep, I should have asked him his source. Also it's worth to note something I didn't report/translate from this same Gamekult article about the Wii U FR launch (my translation) >
The console has been penalized by the stocks retention noticed in the early days after its release. A distributor told us that "at Nintendo France they are turned off by this, they know they can sell more."

Everybody is assuming the console is bombing in EU when we only indirectly know about the bad UK numbers. I mean, if I decided to go with my onw anecdotal evidences I'd say it's doing ok in France, with regular replenishments. I work in Paris, in an area where there're 3 dedicated gaming retailers and they all told me the console was doing ok. Just in front of my office there also is a Darty (electronic retailer for general public) and last week they sold their 18 Wii U on shelve long before their 18/20 PS360 (checked several times per day). They had a replenishment this past Sunday and the console is still selling.

End of the EU digression.

Top Bottom