• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Was Japan the last market PS2 was shipping new units to? If it was, then that'd be surprising, as I'd imagine they would want to make more units to sell to various emerging markets etc.

I'm asking because I kind of remember NES was selling only in some 3rd world markets for years, when they finally completely pulled the plug. So I'm wondering if they have now completely pulled the plug on PS2 or if it's for Japan only.

The PS2 was the king of kings for sure.

Dominated in every region, something that won't happen again among consoles. XBox is too western and we're all aware of Nintendo's limitations by now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
RIP
salute2.gif

Noirulus

My all-time favorite console. The PS2's game library is just incredible, I still have dozens of games I need to buy for it because there are seemingly an endless amount of JRPGs released for the PS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yup. Only Sony has the ability to reclaim the throne although they've lost their way.
He clearly implied that they won't be able to do it either, you don't have to be so defensive. He's right either way, none of the three will be able to achieve such worldwide dominance anymore with their game machines. If anyone, it's Apple and Google now who's doing that.

Sgblues

Been meaning to pick up an extra ps2 console or two, think I'll bump that up on my things to do list.

Well you've had a good run ps2 /salute.

Noirulus

Imagine if the PS4 was released at $300 with developer-friendly hardware/tools. I would give anything to see a resurgence in the Japanese console gaming industry.

mosaic

go eat paint
Wave of nostalgia... getting a Japanese launch PS2 helped me get deeper into the whole "write reviews for money" thing. I'll drink to you tonight, PS2!

Mobius1

Dang. I would still have my launch PS2 if it hadn't gotten stolen.

Anyone remember the PS9 ad that aired around launch? Seemed so weird to advertise something you weren't going to buy, but it worked. I definitely felt like I was getting cutting-edge technology.

Also, I will be telling the grandkids how back in my day you had to buy a memory card to save games. They carried a whopping 8MBs of storage, and they cost $30.

hwy_61

Banned
I remember buying my first accessory like it was yesterday. It was the DVD controller with the plug in sensor. I laugh at it now, but back then, I felt pretty awesome when I got it.

flem1

RIP :(

The best console ever.

I can't believe it's been a decade since I spent hundreds of hours powering up Tidus and co. in FFX or replaying MGS3 to death.

mollipen

I'm actually getting sad now that the end of the PS2 is starting to really sink in. :( it really was a fantastic system - and, for me, one of the best in terms of experience along with the NES.

I have a pink PS3 slim that I got modded for playing all regions of games (to go along with my original model PS2), but I'd really love to have one of those final-era white slims (the ones where they removed the "grill" look) before they get impossible for me to find. Since I think it's be easier finding a Japanese one, I wonder how easy they are to get modded these days.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hopefully this means people will stop playing FFXI on the PS2 in Japan so much so they can drop the platform already and not deal with 8MB of ram limitations for PC!

Takao

Banned
Hopefully this means people will stop playing FFXI on the PS2 in Japan so much so they can drop the platform already and not deal with 8MB of ram limitations for PC!

2013's expansion is still coming to PS2 in Japan. I think that'll probably be the last for XI once XIV is relaunched.

BIGWORM

Depressing day, but it was bound to happen. As far as 12 years later, I don't know anyone expected it to be THAT far out.

Valnen

Hopefully they can somehow include PS2 compatibility in the PS4 or at least PS3 compatibility so our HD collections don't go to waste. PS2 generation will never die.

Yagharek

Muglh.gif

Remember the day I got mine. As a disaffected Dreamcast fan it was a last refuge.

Turned out to have some of the greatest games and most diverse libraries of any console ever. Hopefully one day a new challenger rises to take this throne. Be it another sony console or not, I think that this gen has proven that a single platform is healthier for genre diversity. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

Best games I played on it were MGS3, Vice City, Rez, Shadow of the Colossus, and We Love Katamari.

Most underrated gems on it: Mark of Kri, Gradius V, R Type Final, Cold Winter and Gitaroo Man

Hatten

Also symbolic of sony's current predicament

Some friends in finance are betting that sony is going to spinoff SCE

They say next year Playstation will be a standalone brand

That is SAD...

BIGWORM

Quick reflection on the PS2. I remember Octobert 26th, 2000 being an especially dark and gloomy day. Knowing that wherever I called, I was going to get an obvious "no" when I inquired about the PS2 being in stock. I remember I wanted to play Tekken Tag Tournament (launch title, of course) so bad, I went to my local Funcoland (now Gamestop), and bought the Direct Audio OST so that I could pretend I was playing Tag whenever I was playing Tekken 3.

After for what seemed like months, I finally gave up looking for one. One day, January 22th, 2001, I called my local Toys R Us and asked if they had a PS2 in stock. The phone rep put me on hold for a moment, and came back on the line with some news that made my jaw drop: they had ONE system in stock, and the only reason for that was someone called in earlier, and put it on hold and never picked it up. I almost couldn't keep my composure when I asked if I could put it on hold. The clerk told me I had 1 hour to come to the store and pick it up: I rode my bike 3 miles through busy traffic in 20 minutes. I bought the PS2, stuffed it in my backpack, and immediately went to Block Buster to rent a game.

I remember the first PS2 game I ever tried: SSX. My eyes shat bricks when I first fired up this game. Before SSX, the only snowboarding game I marginally liked was Cool Boarders 2 (none of that 989 bullshit). I never owned a N64, so I didn't play 1080 Snowboarding or Snowboard Kids (?), and went straight to the good stuff.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Also symbolic of sony's current predicament

Some friends in finance are betting that sony is going to spinoff SCE

They say next year Playstation will be a standalone brand

That is SAD...

How would that benefit Sony unless they plan to sell their SCE business? Serious question. Would it somehow benefit them in terms of taxes or whatever?

Hatten

How would that benefit Sony unless they plan to sell their SCE business? Serious question. Would it somehow benefit them in terms of taxes or whatever?

I'm not in that area, but from what they said sony could actually make a ton of money that would help the rest of the company

From what I understand by making SCE a different company they would own most if not all of it, and given that Playstation is still a strong respected brand (unlike sony) the stock would be worth a lot and sony could sell the shares it has.

They need the money, sony stock is nearly worthless now

I was always more of a PS1 guy, but the PS2 library is still the stuff of legends.

Fuck the slim models, though. First one crapped out on me, and the other two started scratching my discs for no good reason.

Neff

I'm gonna join the ranks of the gif targets and declare that it's one of my least favourite consoles, and agree that it's overrated. A huge library does not equal quality. Dreamcast stole its millennial next gen thunder, and the best PSone franchises dwindled on PS2 or migrated. It did have one or two classics, though.

Sony should call their next machine the PS2-2. God, I love that machine, rest in peace, old boy.

I just bought three PS2 games... not ready for that generation to end!

Top Bottom