• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cyberia
(12-28-2012, 05:28 PM)

In the issue hitting subscribers starting tomorrow (on newsstands Jan 8), read all about our hands-on impressions of Crystal Dynamics’ newest addition to Lara’s upcoming adventure: multiplayer! We spill the details on the new modes and info on who you’ll be playing as.

http://www.oxmonline.com/our-next-is...ts-multiplayer

Originally Posted by Larson Conway

Eidos Montreal developed the multiplayer.

From the CD community manager:

Very exciting news to (finally) confirm to you guys! Lara’s on the February cover of OXM, paired with a big announcement. Tomb Raider will include a multiplayer offering thanks to the hard work of our sister-studio, the hugely talented Eidos Montreal. The team at Eidos Montreal has been working away at the multiplayer while we focused everything on the single-player offering.

I know you all will have dozens and dozens of questions – hang in there. OXM has the exclusive details for now. We’ll have lots of information coming out of CES in early January. I can’t answer much (anything) until then.

I hope you guys are excited! We’ll have to create a new thread closer to launch to share gamer tags and usernames and so on – that way we can play together!

Originally Posted by Tumbler

OXM Reveals Tomb Raider Multiplayer In January Cover Story

Yep, you read it right. The January issue of OXM has revealed a secret addition to Tomb Raider, and one a long-time in the making. While Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work crafting and polishing the single-player experience, our sister studio Eidos Montreal has been working tirelessly to introduce multiplayer to the world of Tomb Raider.

Inspired by the overwhelmingly positive response to co-op play in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, we’ll have many more details about Tomb Raider’s multiplayer offering come CES in early January. Issue #145 of OXM also dives deep into single player content and combat.

Can we all take a second to admire how beautiful the cover art is? You can thank Brian Horton for the lovely piece above starring Lara and Roth.

I hope you guys are as excited as I am! I can’t wait to play with fellow fans online come launch day.

Source: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/39...yer-in-january
Last edited by Nirolak; 12-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Sub_Level
(12-28-2012, 05:30 PM)
Protection of the Hill
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(12-28-2012, 05:30 PM)
[Obligatory "You'll be playing as somebody who wants to protect her" post.]
AppleSmack
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:31 PM)
I bet its a copy paste of Uncharted multiplayer.
-Cade

Originally Posted by Sub_Level

Protection of the Hill

You'll want to protect your capture zones.
GQman2121
They've officially gone full re-tard with this game. Completely lost the plot.
The_Darkest_Red
(12-28-2012, 05:32 PM)
I'm already pretty bitter about the direction this game is headed in. This is only making it worse.

I'll reserve final judgment, though.
Derrick01
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:33 PM)
How many unchecked boxes does this game have left? Instinct/detective vision, unnecessary multiplayer, Xp system, unnecessary skill tree, basic loot system...

What am I missing?
Mindman
(12-28-2012, 05:33 PM)
Both sad and happy. Still can't wait for this game.
Mario007
(12-28-2012, 05:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Derrick01

How many unchecked boxes does this game have left? Instinct/detective vision, unnecessary multiplayer, Xp system, unnecessary skill tree, basic loot system...

What am I missing?

Visceral cinematic experience.
SJRB
Fuck that, they have a Dark Souls 2 preview!

[It better not be a trailer summary or some shit]
AgentChris
Could be fun.
Prine
Uncharted like multilayer, vaulting around the map would be fitting for TR. Looking forward to see their take on it

+1 CD
-Cade
(12-28-2012, 05:35 PM)

What am I missing?

Better with Kinect
JaseC

What am I missing?

QTEs.
Last edited by JaseC; 12-28-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Canis lupus
2 teams have their own Lara that need protection.
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Uncharted 3 with optional tombs.

Another franchise ruined.
8bit
Knows the Score

What am I missing?

Season pass!
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(12-28-2012, 05:36 PM)
Square-Enix "Real and non automatic 3D platforming,huge environmental puzzles,exploring and isolation? NO what Tomb Raider need is online multiplayer"
Bgamer90
(12-28-2012, 05:37 PM)
Might be good... interested more in the single player though.

Keeping an open mind.
Last edited by Bgamer90; 12-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
S1kkZ
(12-28-2012, 05:38 PM)

Originally Posted by JaseC

QTEs.

did you miss e3 last year? there is plenty of qte stuff.
Derrick01
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Mario007

Visceral cinematic experience.

Originally Posted by JaseC

QTEs.

Ah yeah. The 1 hit kill "finishers" too. Don't forget the gripping emoantional story.

Originally Posted by -Cade

Better with Kinect

Does this have any kinect stuff? I don't remember anything about it. Probably a good thing I don't.
JaseC
(12-28-2012, 05:39 PM)

Originally Posted by S1kkZ

did you miss e3 last year? there is plenty of qte stuff.

His last question asked, "What am I missing?", not "What is the game missing?"

Edit: I can see the cause for misunderstanding. I'll edit my post for clarity.
Last edited by JaseC; 12-28-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Salvadora
(12-28-2012, 05:40 PM)
Is that Daniel Craig in the background?
-Cade

Ah yeah. The 1 hit kill "finishers" too. Don't forget the gripping emoantional story.

Does this have any kinect stuff? I don't remember anything about it. Probably a good thing I don't.

I actually have no idea, I was just saying it was a box left to check if not.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State

Originally Posted by GQman2121

They've officially gone full re-tard with this game. Completely lost the plot.

Why?

Game looks great, and MP could turn out fine. I love AC MP, so maybe they can do something as different as they did.
Mr. Poolman
My idea of Multiplayer on a Tomb Raider game is a group of people teaming up to solve puzzles and raid tombs.

I get the feeling I'm getting dissapointed.
Interfectum

With Kinect you can emulate hover hand with Lara in a special Photo Booth mode. 360 exclusive.
gabbre
(12-28-2012, 05:41 PM)
I'm more interested in Deadpool's new infos than Tomb Raider's multiplayer
Last edited by gabbre; 12-28-2012 at 05:48 PM.
LuchaShaq
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:41 PM)
Announcing multiplayer for a game like this is the fastest way to deflate my excitement/expectations. Went from a possible purchase to the bottom dregs of my gamefly Q.
Criminal Upper
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by gabbre

I'm more interested in Deadpool new infos than Tomb Rarider's multiplayer

Fantasmo
(12-28-2012, 05:43 PM)
Don't understand the hate. Tomb Raider had a 3 game reboot this gen, fantastic ones I might add, and an isometric co-op game. Keeping the series fresh is good for the brand and Lara is one of the better female leads in a hobby with few good female characters. Looks great so far, hope to see it become successful!
Bgamer90
(12-28-2012, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by LuchaShaq

Announcing multiplayer for a game like this is the fastest way to deflate my excitement/expectations. Went from a possible purchase to the bottom dregs of my gamefly Q.

I don't get this to be honest. If the single player was going to be exactly the same before adding the mode, I don't see why adding it is a reason to dismiss the game as a whole.
Derrick01
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Interfectum

With Kinect you can emulate hover hand with Lara in a special Photo Booth mode. 360 exclusive.

But you can't protect her if you go hover hand!
Dynoro
Why waste development resources and time on something barely anyone will play? I will put up with a lot of the crap they have added; but MP is the straw that broke the camel's back.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
I'm most curious to learn if Eidos Montreal is actually making the multiplayer.

The original job postings in 2010 referred to a partner studio in Montreal, and I don't think they've been hiring enough people to make this internally unless they did it without job postings.
DeFiBkIlLeR
It's this American obsession with multi-player, that's destroyed the art of the single player campaign over the last decade.

Too much developer time is wasted on it...all that effort just so a bunch of teenagers can scream trash talk to a captive audience.
Interfectum
(12-28-2012, 05:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Bgamer90

I don't get this to be honest. If the single player was going to be exactly the same before adding the mode, I don't see why adding it is a reason to dismiss the game as a whole.

Waste of development resources and time. Any perks, unlockables or DLC will mainly be geared towards MP maps and skins. Yawn.
Nibel
So since this is supposed to be THE BEST GAME OF THIS HOME CONSOLE GENERATION, you can expect THE BEST MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE OF THIS HOME CONSOLE GENERATION
sublimit
I couldn't give a damn if this game had MP or not IF the rest of the game was the TR experience i'd want it to be.

But as it is,the inclusion of MP makes the direction Crystal is trying to take the series even more than obvious.
LuchaShaq
Banned

Originally Posted by Bgamer90

I don't get this to be honest. If the single player was going to be exactly the same before adding the mode.

Every dev says this but I've yet to play a game that had tacked on multi that didn't have issues in single player that could have been fixed by more time/manpower.
The Grim Heaper

Originally Posted by gabbre

I'm more interested in Deadpool new infos than Tomb Rarider's multiplayer

Pretty much! This game looks alright but it's getting way too much buzz and it's definitely going to fall flat.
Larson Conway
(12-28-2012, 05:47 PM)

Very exciting news to (finally) confirm to you guys! Lara’s on the February cover of OXM, paired with a big announcement. Tomb Raider will include a multiplayer offering thanks to the hard work of our sister-studio, the hugely talented Eidos Montreal. The team at Eidos Montreal has been working away at the multiplayer while we focused everything on the single-player offering.

I know you all will have dozens and dozens of questions – hang in there. OXM has the exclusive details for now. We’ll have lots of information coming out of CES in early January. I can’t answer much (anything) until then.

I hope you guys are excited! We’ll have to create a new thread closer to launch to share gamer tags and usernames and so on – that way we can play together!

Larson Conway
(12-28-2012, 05:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

The original job postings in 2010 referred to a partner studio in Montreal, and I don't think they've been hiring enough people to make this internally unless they did it without job postings.

Yes they are. I think that should go in the title.
Derrick01
Banned

Originally Posted by Larson Conway

I'm glad to see that EM is dedicating their time and people to making a MP mode that no one wants for a terrible looking game that very few seem to want instead of getting Thief 4 or Deus Ex HR2 going.

Yes I realize it was probably a small separate team.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State

Originally Posted by LuchaShaq

So you hated Mass Effect 3, Uncharted, and the last few Assassin's Creed games just because they added MP?
Bgamer90

Originally Posted by Interfectum

Waste of development resources and time. Any perks, unlockables or DLC will mainly be geared towards MP maps and skins. Yawn.

How are you so sure of that? What if it... you know... Actually ends up being good? Or is that impossible?
TheJollyCorner
(12-28-2012, 05:49 PM)
this is one game I honestly didn't expect a 'multiplayer' mode. :\
Eideka
Banned
(12-28-2012, 05:50 PM)

Good thing if true, that means the solo can't be negatively affected. I'm not saying this would have necessarily been the case if the multiplayer was being developped internally but I'm fine with a separate team handling the multiplayer modes.

I don't have any expectations regarding this mode anyway, I'm sold on the origin story ever since I read about it.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(12-28-2012, 05:50 PM)

isn't that studio working on the matrix version of Hitman going with the art works (or was that another studio?)I guess that game will need multiplayer.

Edit Nirolak is right as always.
Last edited by Totobeni; 12-28-2012 at 05:58 PM.