• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Chrom
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:01 AM)
Chrom's Avatar
(First thread on GAF!)

I don't know about any other games or if it's the case outside of North America, but SimCity for SNES appears to be missing from the Wii Shop Channel.

For real! I even searched for it and it's just not there anymore.

When will this madness come to an end!?!?

Discuss.
Zee-Row
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:02 AM)
Zee-Row's Avatar
Damn i've been wanting to buy it for awhile. I guess Nintendo had a temporary agreement with EA?
TheWesker
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:03 AM)
TheWesker's Avatar
It's the first of the year. Lots of licenses probably expired. They can't take away my cart though!
perfectchaos007
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:04 AM)
perfectchaos007's Avatar
Did Nintendo buy the rights to sell these games on Wii but not Wii U? Now they are scrambling to add Wii U to the contract for hundreds of games? Damn licensing screws us all.
BatDan
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:04 AM)
BatDan's Avatar
Shit, first the DKC Trilogy now this. Hopefully Nintendo gives something official, especially about DKC.
RawkHawk2010
Banned
(01-03-2013, 01:05 AM)
RawkHawk2010's Avatar
Nintendo's plan to dismantle the Virtual Console service shows no sign of slowing down.

Berordn
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:05 AM)
Berordn's Avatar

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

Did Nintendo buy the rights to sell these games on Wii but not Wii U? Now they are scrambling to add Wii U to the contract for hundreds of games? Damn licensing screws us all.

Nintendo published Simcity and DKC, so I doubt they lost rights to anything. The character of Mr. Wright is owned by Nintendo even.
DidntKnowJack
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:05 AM)
DidntKnowJack's Avatar
I wish they'd give us some warning before they do shit like this.
Pyrokai
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:06 AM)
Pyrokai's Avatar
Is DKC missing from the NA store? Holy crap.


I need a list of games that have been removed from the VC. Does one exist?
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(01-03-2013, 01:06 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

Did Nintendo buy the rights to sell these games on Wii but not Wii U? Now they are scrambling to add Wii U to the contract for hundreds of games? Damn licensing screws us all.

Or it could be that they are putting them into "the vault", Disney style. That might be a smart business move if you want to relaunch these on a new Virtual Console service.

And DKC is also delisted, and I really doubt licensing issues for that one (I'm sure Nintendo owns that one, Rare be damned).


Originally Posted by Berordn

Nintendo published Simcity and DKC, so I doubt they lost rights to anything. The character of Mr. Wright is owned by Nintendo even.

Not to mention SNES SimCity's version of the giant lizard attack...

BatDan
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:07 AM)
BatDan's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Or it could be that they are putting them into "the vault", Disney style. That might be a smart business move if you want to relaunch these on a new Virtual Console service.

And DKC is also delisted, and I really doubt licensing issues for that one (I'm sure Nintendo owns that one, Rare be damned).

A rep from Rare once said that Nintendo has every right to put DK64 on the Virtual Console, not understanding why they haven't. So I don't think Rare is the issue with DKC.
Yagharek
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:07 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar

Originally Posted by thewesker

It's the first of the year. Lots of licenses probably expired. They can't take away my cart though!

EA will try and find a way.
Fularu
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:08 AM)
Fularu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Berordn

Nintendo published Simcity and DKC, so I doubt they lost rights to anything. The character of Mr. Wright is owned by Nintendo even.

They owned publishing rights for the SNES, then probably for the Wii (and for a specific time would be my guess).

They definitely don't have them with Maxis/EA for WiiU though. But since we don't have the licensing agreement, it's all speculation as to why those games were removed from the VC.
Eric C
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:08 AM)
Eric C's Avatar

Originally Posted by BatDan

Shit, first the DKC Trilogy now this. Hopefully Nintendo gives something official, especially about DKC.

Nintendo warned everyone weeks in advance about the DKC trilogy's impending removal from the eShop didn't they?

I wonder why they didn't do the same for this game?
BatDan
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:09 AM)
BatDan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eric C

Nintendo warned everyone weeks in advance about the DKC trilogy's impending removal from the eShop didn't they?

I wonder why they didn't do the same for this game?

No, they didn't do that. The removal of DKC was sudden.
Chrom
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:09 AM)
Chrom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pyrokai

Is DKC missing from the NA store? Holy crap.


I need a list of games that have been removed from the VC. Does one exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...(North_America)

Wikipedia lists all of them and even crosses out the ones that aren't available anymore. Does this help?
GAMERG0D
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:09 AM)
GAMERG0D's Avatar
I hate how games get removed from services, now the only way for me to play this (legally) is to hunt down a cart on eBay or something.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(01-03-2013, 01:09 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by BatDan

A rep from Rare once said that Nintendo has every right to put DK64 on the Virtual Console, not understanding why they haven't. So I don't think Rare is the issue with DKC.

Good point.

(I bet they didn't want to emulate the Ram pack? No Super FX chip games either. Or it could be some bizzare Nintendo logic where they want to hold back the games with teh special chipz for future download services).


Originally Posted by GAMERG0D

I hate how games get removed from services, now the only way for me to play this (legally) is to hunt down a cart on eBay or something.

Me too... Every time it happens I can only think... "I'm glad someone is archiving it out there....." and we all know who those someones Arrrrr.
Shig
Strap on your hooker ...
(01-03-2013, 01:09 AM)
Shig's Avatar
Best SNES attract screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxSYzCesxfU
Eric C
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:11 AM)
Eric C's Avatar

Originally Posted by BatDan

No, they didn't do that. The removal of DKC was sudden.



what's this?

By the format of the date, it looks like NoE warned people.
Last edited by Eric C; 01-03-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: added a the
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(01-03-2013, 01:11 AM)
Danthrax's Avatar
EA probably asked Nintendo to take it down in an effort to starve the fanbase of all SimCity experiences in an effort to force them to buy the upcoming new SimCity.


Originally Posted by BatDan

A rep from Rare once said that Nintendo has every right to put DK64 on the Virtual Console, not understanding why they haven't. So I don't think Rare is the issue with DKC.

Probably because DK64 is embarrassingly bad. And has a curse word in its opening theme song.
Chrom
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:11 AM)
Chrom's Avatar
I think it was NoE that gave a week's warning in advance about the DKC trilogy being removed from the VC.

NoA gave no warning whatsover. Not sure how it was handled elsewhere.
RawkHawk2010
Banned
(01-03-2013, 01:11 AM)
RawkHawk2010's Avatar

Originally Posted by BatDan

A rep from Rare once said that Nintendo has every right to put DK64 on the Virtual Console, not understanding why they haven't. So I don't think Rare is the issue with DKC.

That was before this:

Boney
Sucking and blowing™
(01-03-2013, 01:12 AM)
Boney's Avatar
jeeesus why is this happening, can we get someone on it?

jonathan holmes save ussss
Bulbagarden
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:12 AM)
Bulbagarden's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoshiRider123

When will this madness come to an end!?!?

Probably not any time soon, at least not for games developed (and published) originally by 3rd parties.
Putting aside the potential issue perfectchaos just raised, in that Nintendo might only have had the license to do this for the Wii VC and are running into legal hurdles now that the Wii U is out....I suspect what may have happened here is that a lot of these contracts had time limits on how long the games would be available on the VC. For the 3rd parties, this may have been desirable in that it would put them in a position of power should the VC take off, allowing them to renegotiate the contracts with Nintendo at a later date and ask for a greater portion of the revenues. For Nintendo, it might have also been desirable in that it gave them an out to just not re-sign contracts on games which haven't been selling sufficiently in proportion to whatever license fees they're being charged.

It could also be that in this particular case, EA themselves walked away. Sim City is a pretty huge franchise, and with the new games out EA wouldn't really like you to be playing the old one. They'd much rather you play the new, more expensive one.
Persona7
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:12 AM)
Persona7's Avatar
Luckily I have the cartridge and have it backed up on my computer via my retrode.
BatDan
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:12 AM)
BatDan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eric C



what's this?

Didn't know about that. ... Huh.
Still, weird it was removed. As well as Sim City.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(01-03-2013, 01:13 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danthrax

Probably because DK64 is embarrassingly bad. And has a curse word in its opening theme song.

Coconut gun fires in spurts? ;P
NateDrake
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:14 AM)
NateDrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eric C



what's this?

By format of the date, it looks like NoE warned people.

Wish I had DLed DKC3. Only did DKC1-2. Damn :(
DidntKnowJack
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:16 AM)
DidntKnowJack's Avatar
This makes me worried about the future of the Wii store and any history of my purchases. You just know at some point they're going to pull the plug on the whole thing and then you're download history won't mean shit. Maybe they transfer it over to the Wii U, but maybe they don't.
shuri
The Harry Potter girl
(01-03-2013, 01:16 AM)
shuri's Avatar
Nintendo, trying to hide away its past

Roto13
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:17 AM)
Roto13's Avatar
Does this mean I won't be able to transfer it over to Wii U?
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(01-03-2013, 01:17 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by DidntKnowJack

This makes me worried about the future of the Wii store and any history of my purchases. You just know at some point they're going to pull the plug on the whole thing and then you're download history won't mean shit. Maybe they transfer it over to the Wii U, but maybe they don't.

Oh certainly... there will be a point in time where it will be up to you to backup your games to SD card. I don't trust "redownload rights" long term.
Fantastical
Death Prophet
(01-03-2013, 01:17 AM)
Fantastical's Avatar
They're probably just adding always online DRM, guys.

Badum tish.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(01-03-2013, 01:17 AM)
grandjedi6's Avatar
Nintendo's lawyers are notoriously overprotective and will block the release of anything that could even potentially lead to a lawsuit. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they removed this for such a reason.
Chrom
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:18 AM)
Chrom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

Does this mean I won't be able to transfer it over to Wii U?

I believe you would still be able to do so.
meltingparappa
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:18 AM)
meltingparappa's Avatar
Pretty slick marketing move for the new game!

(some joke about it coming back with a patch that requires your wii to always be online)
entrement
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:18 AM)
entrement's Avatar
Well I got it ages ago.
Pociask
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:19 AM)
Pociask's Avatar
Games disappearing isn't as big a deal as no warning at all from NoA. At the very least, you'd think they'd want a last-minute-shopper sale spike.
Eric C
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:19 AM)
Eric C's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

Does this mean I won't be able to transfer it over to Wii U?

If you already bought them you could still transfer and redownload the DKC games on the Wii U.
GAMERG0D
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:19 AM)
GAMERG0D's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

Does this mean I won't be able to transfer it over to Wii U?

It should be fine, you can still redownload the games even if they are delisted so you shouldn't have problems transferring either.

edit: beaten
richiek
steals Justin Bieber DVDs
(01-03-2013, 01:22 AM)
richiek's Avatar
Isn't Shigeru Miyamoto good friends with Will Wright?
Pyrokai
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:23 AM)
Pyrokai's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoshiRider123

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...(North_America)

Wikipedia lists all of them and even crosses out the ones that aren't available anymore. Does this help?

Yes! Thanks!!

Guess that means they're gone from NA, too :( . I didn't know that. Sucks.
deviljho
Banned
(01-03-2013, 01:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Fantastical

They're probably just adding always online DRM, guys. Badum tish.

Nintendo has to BE online first, to do this.
RawkHawk2010
Banned
(01-03-2013, 01:26 AM)
RawkHawk2010's Avatar
Now watch as Brawl never gets a future digital-release because of the Dr. Wright assist trophy being caught up in some legal clusterfuck no one will do anything about.

(The horror! The horror!!)
Dizzy
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:27 AM)
Dizzy's Avatar
Lol. The vc service seems to be losing more games than its adding these days. Shame.
terrisus
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:27 AM)
terrisus's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Not to mention SNES SimCity's version of the giant lizard attack...

This too:

Last edited by terrisus; 01-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(01-03-2013, 01:27 AM)

Originally Posted by RawkHawk2010

Now watch as Brawl never gets a future digital-release because of the Dr. Wright assist trophy being caught up in some legal clusterfuck no one will do anything about.

(The horror! The horror!!)

If they cared, they'd patch it to change the art to something generic or take it out.

Originally Posted by terrisus

This too:

Tripod is still around?
Game Guru
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:28 AM)
Game Guru's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Good point.

(I bet they didn't want to emulate the Ram pack? No Super FX chip games either. Or it could be some bizzare Nintendo logic where they want to hold back the games with teh special chipz for future download services).

Actually, if they couldn't release it due to the Expansion Pak, Majora's Mask would not have been rereleased. In any case, it is interesting that SimCity and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy were removed specifically. The only times previously when a game was removed from the Virtual Console were due to rights issues. Irem imploded in on itself when led to their games being removed, and Konami and Ubisoft lost the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles license to, err, THQ though given THQ's current financial state, that may not be for long.

Donkey Kong Country and SimCity do have potential rights issues though, namely trademark issues. Nintendo does have to license out Rare's trademark from Microsoft to use Rare's logo for the DKC games, and Nintendo does have to license out EA's trademark on SimCity to use its name. Naturally, Microsoft wouldn't help a competitor and the rumors seems to have EA being angry at Nintendo for not using Origin for the Wii U.

Basically, there is every reason to believe that Microsoft and EA are just not playing ball with Nintendo anymore, and that's why the games they can affect are being removed from the service.
Last edited by Game Guru; 01-03-2013 at 01:32 AM.
joedick
Member
(01-03-2013, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by richiek

Isn't Shigeru Miyamoto good friends with Will Wright?

I don't think that means Will Wright will tell EA not to charge them licensing fees.

Not sure why people are shocked, the reasons for it seem more obvious than the DKC games being pulled.

Thread Tools