• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)

I wonder if the transition to full 3D and DD will affect pokemon's sales. I don't think it will have a drastic impact in japan but perhaps WW it will. I could see it interesting a lot more western gamers who could see the jump to 3D as a substantial change as well as DD allowing for those too embarrased to pick up a copy in person due to the kiddy stigma surrounding pokemon. Just my random thoughts and musings.

I think it well. A lot of Nintendo's more traditional IPs have failed to make the smooth transition into 3D, and I think it's risky for Nintendo to tamper with a proven formula. 2D Nintendo games > 3D Nintendo games, saleswise.

Somnid

I think it well. A lot of Nintendo's more traditional IPs have failed to make the smooth transition into 3D, and I think it's risky for Nintendo to tamper with a proven formula. 2D Nintendo games > 3D Nintendo games, saleswise.

Failed to make smooth transitions? Which ones?

Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Mario Kart? Kid Icarus? Fire Emblem? Kirby?

If anything each change to 3D has been marked by unprecedented praise and adoration. The only one I can think of that actually moved backwards (and only a bit) was Donkey Kong.

Celine

No, no, nope.

Nintendo is one of the few company of the old days that transitioned well most of their 2D franchises to polygonal graphics .
Of course the transition meant almost always a change of genre (gameplay mechanics) unless the franchise itself was already 3d-ish (like mode 7/SuperFX games, ie. Star Fox, Mario Kart, F-Zero etc.) or the genre is rarely impacted by 3D concepts (ie: JRPG).

SMB series is a different genre from Mario 64 lineage.

No, no, nope.

Nintendo is one of the few company of the old days that transitioned well most of their 2D franchises to polygonal graphics .
Of course the transition meant almost always a change of genre (gameplay mechanics) unless the franchise itself was already 3d-ish (like mode 7/SuperFX games, ie. Star Fox, Mario Kart, F-Zero etc.) or the genre is rarely impacted by 3D concepts (ie: JRPG).

SMB series is a different genre from Mario 64 lineage.

I meant saleswise. I probably should have emphasized that on the first line, as opposed to the last.

MrT-Tar

What?

I cannot think of a single Nintendo IP that has had a bad transition to 3d (think Megaman, Castlevania, Sonic, Contra, etc)

Celine

I meant saleswise. I probably should have emphasized that on the first line, as opposed to the last.
You are probably comparing SMB games and SM64-like games when you say so but I simply don't regard them in the same series, at least SM64 is a SMB game as much as a Mario Party game is, in my eyes.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1.585.493
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price!] - 134.168

Total: 1.719.661

Anyone thinks this is going to reach 2 million until Monster Hunter 4 release?

extralite

Well, what about this: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/2...o-about-final-fantasy-v-and-vi-on-ds-and-3ds/

I think it's time to green light some games. Watch DQXI get announced before FFV or TWEWY 2.

Right now it's still up in the air. Availability of old team members could be an obstacle so I thought I'd mention it, especially since we heard so little on more remakes after IV. Now we can only wait for an announcement or another interview where the topic comes up. I personally would like to see a remake of VI in the style of BD. Actually, a 3D FFVII with voiced dialogue would be cool too and much more viable than a full blown realistically styled remake.

saichi

can you list some examples?

What about Zelda?

The first 3D Zelda was the best selling Zelda and the best game in the series. I'm not sure it's a good example.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

But the gameplay is primarily the same as the previous Pokemon games, right down to the oft-bemoaned grid-based movement for characters outside of battles. It's purely presentation purposes that they went 3D. I don't think the 3Dness will affect the game's sales at all.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1.585.493
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price!] - 134.168

Total: 1.719.661

Anyone thinks this is going to reach 2 million until Monster Hunter 4 release?

1800k? Sure.
1.900? Quite unlikely if it drops to sub-10k weekly sales.

Anyway it could reach 2m in the long run, besides it could sell some thousand copies between NA and PAL.

can you list some examples?

The first 3D Zelda was the best selling Zelda and the best game in the series. I'm not sure it's a good example.

I thought the NES Zeldas maintained the top-selling status in Japan? And the only games to have come close to OoT numbers in Japan since were the 2D Zelda games on the DS?

Im not sure. The drop in sales from the transition to 2D to 3D was because it caused motion sickness and was disorienting. However, rpgs never had this problem and I believe a lot of rpgs saw an increase of popularity due to the transition to 3D, although that may only be true for the west.

BowieZ

Banned
Isn't it pretty obvious they had moved to Wii U and 3DS development? Do you expect Wii U to suffer from games drought next two years?

Wii's first full year had 19 games published by Nintendo. Even if Wii U has only like half of those which is 9 games, we only know of Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3.
And Game & Wario, The Wonderful 101, Ninja Gaiden 3, Lego City Undercover, Sing Party, and Rayman Legends, in addition to Mario and Nintendo Land (10 total), but your point still stands.

Subaru

And Game & Wario, The Wonderful 101, Ninja Gaiden 3, Lego City Undercover, Sing Party, and Rayman Legends, in addition to Mario and Nintendo Land (10 total), but your point still stands.

Maybe Bayonetta 2?

But c'mon, the year starts now and we know that Nintendo will air some Nintendo DIRECT with new anouncements.
It's what happened today: although we all expected to see Pokemon 3DS someday, nobody would bet that a new generation would star in october (world launch!) until, I don't know, last week (when they announced the Pokemon Direct)?

Celine

What about Zelda?
Same although not as evident as SMB->Mario 64 (in Mario 64 the goal to clear the stages is totally different compared to SMB, Zelda retained the dungeon structure at least).

Although there is a gulf between F-Zero/Mario Kart and the latter polygonal games on consoles, the difference is blurrier because those racing games were already 3D-ish.

Just my 2 cents of course :)

Im not sure. The drop in sales from the transition to 2D to 3D was because it caused motion sickness and was disorienting. However, rpgs never had this problem and I believe a lot of rpgs saw an increase of popularity due to the transition to 3D, although that may only be true for the west.
Speaking strictly about most common JRPG, what they gained on Saturn/PS1 compared to previous "2D only" consoles was a far bigger storage space then used to load content to increase the presentation production values more than "3D".
Most relied still on fixed camera (or at best rotation on a single axis) or 2D background (like Alone in the Dark did on PC a couple of years previously).

Subaru

But gameplay changes between 2D and 3D in games like Mario and Zelda.
Pokémon will be the same game, with no extra challenge.

NeonZ

I thought the NES Zeldas maintained the top-selling status in Japan? And the only games to have come close to OoT numbers in Japan since were the 2D Zelda games on the DS?

NES Zeldas > OoT in Japan, but OoT still did better than every other 2d Zelda game. Also, later 2d games, like Oracles, Minish Cap and Four Sword Adventures did fairly modest numbers in Japan, so there's no proof that 3d hurt the Zelda series. It's a very different situation from Mario, which went through a long period without 2d titles. Zelda still got 2d games up to the GameCube and GBA, and those later 2d games didn't get anywhere close to the 3d ones in sales numbers.

Celine

This discussion did remember me that Nintendo should be eternally grateful to Super Mario Bros Famicom Mini.

Speaking strictly about most common JRPG, what they gained on Saturn/PS1 compared to previous "2D only" consoles was a far bigger storage space then used to load content to increase the presentation production values more than "3D".
Most relied still on fixed camera (or at best rotation on a single axis) or 2D background (like Alone in the Dark did on PC a couple of years previously).
Yeah I shouldve clarified further in that the transition from 2D to 3D largely didn't effect the gameplay but the presentation.

But gameplay changes between 2D and 3D in games like Mario and Zelda.
Pokémon will be the same game, with no extra challenge.
Yes, however a lot of people have perceived that pokemon has changed or evolved by the transition to 3D at least that's the impression I've read so far. The crowd that usually goes on about Nintendo milking pokemon and never changing anything has also been silent. So far Nintendo has yet to reveal any gameplay changes but purely aesthetic ones.

NES Zeldas > OoT in Japan, but OoT still did better than every other 2d game. Also, later 2d games, like Oracles, Minish Cap and Four Sword Adventures did fairly modest numbers in Japan, so there's no proof that 2d hurt the Zelda series. It's a very different situation from Mario, which went through a long period without 2d titles. Zelda still got 2d games up to the GameCube and GBA, and those later 2d games didn't get anywhere close to the 3d ones in sales numbers.

What about the sales of the Zelda DS games in comparison to post-OoT console games? Phantom Hourglass sold more than any 3D Zelda game after OoT, didn't it? Same with Spirit Tracks (for the possible exception of Wind Waker in this case, but WW has been out 7 years longer).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I shouldve clarified further in that the transition from 2D to 3D largely didn't effect the gameplay but the presentation.

Yes, however a lot of people have perceived that pokemon has changed or evolved by the transition to 3D at least that's the impression I've read so far. The crowd that usually goes on about Nintendo milking pokemon and never changing anything has also been silent. So far Nintendo has yet to reveal any gameplay changes but purely aesthetic ones.

It's still REALLY early.

Seeing at the new stuff they've put in Animal crossing: new leaf - indeed the title's joke hints at a reboot of the series - I would tend to assume Nintendo means business this time around, so going by my gut feeling this one is going to deliver.

Still early to say though.

Right now it's still up in the air. Availability of old team members could be an obstacle so I thought I'd mention it, especially since we heard so little on more remakes after IV. Now we can only wait for an announcement or another interview where the topic comes up. I personally would like to see a remake of VI in the style of BD. Actually, a 3D FFVII with voiced dialogue would be cool too and much more viable than a full blown realistically styled remake.
Yeah, but a lot of people would die, you can't wish something like that.

FFV should be the next FF remake. I would want the art direction to be less chibi and more like FFT0. *waiting*

NeonZ

What about the sales of the Zelda DS games in comparison to post-OoT console games? Phantom Hourglass sold more than any 3D Zelda game after OoT, didn't it?

Yes. In Japan, Zelda 1 > Zelda 2 > OoT > Alttp > PH > every other Zelda game. PH didn't do that much better than Wind Waker though (900k+ vs 700k+, meanwhile, Alttp dropped half a million from the NES Zeldas)

Also, even Skyward Sword in Japan still beat every 2d Zelda title post Link's Awakening (Seasons, Ages, Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventure, aLttP remake + Four Swords). So, really, although Zelda did lose sales, it had nothing to do with the 3d transition. If anything, it helped Zelda for a while. Even if the last few console efforts haven't done well there.

Subaru

I should expect something before long, in 20ish days they should be issuing some financial reports iirc.

I really hope that we'll see some BIG announcements =D

I understand you, but most people who criticizes Pokémon graphic-style are graphic whores that only thinks that NIntendo is lazy to keep on recycling things - and don't see the changes in other areas.

The evolution is a good think, and I don't think that anyone will see Pokémon X/Y and say: "I can't play this thing, it's too hard". That's what happen to people who is afraid to play Zelda, Mario and other 3D Games. Even if they change the gameplay a lot, we know that Pokémon isn't about skills, is about strategy. And that will not change!

muu

Pokemon, like fire emblem, won't have its gameplay changed dramatically in the switch to 3d. If anything the chance to see Pokemon fight in proper 3d will be a selling point.

This discussion did remember me that Nintendo should be eternally grateful to Super Mario Bros Famicom Mini.
That and Wario Ware in 2003 were really relevatory releases looking back. A lot of Nintendo moves for the next decade can really be traced back to those two games.

What about the sales of the Zelda DS games in comparison to post-OoT console games? Phantom Hourglass sold more than any 3D Zelda game after OoT, didn't it? Same with Spirit Tracks (for the possible exception of Wind Waker in this case, but WW has been out 7 years longer).
Yeah but PH isnt a 2D game. Its a 2.5D game or whatever category you put 3D land into.
It's still REALLY early.
Hence why I said "so far" and "from what theyve revealled"
Seeing at the new stuff they've put in Animal crossing: new leaf - indeed the title's joke hints at a reboot of the series - I would tend to assume Nintendo means business this time around, so going by my gut feeling this one is going to deliver.

Still early to say though.
We'll see. I expect gameplay changes and what not but it depends on the degree really. Every pokemon game makes adjustments and evolves the formula. I feel pokemon fans say every pokemon generation brings major changes and uninformed say it's a rehash. Personally speaking I thought G/S and R/S were the biggest generational jumps with d/p and b/w more refining, tweaking and adjusting the formula. A lot of B/W's changes were purely aesthetic such as older trainer, different camera angles, no old pokemon, more story oriented, etc. We'll wait and see if gen 6 brings more gameplay changes or relies more on aesthetic changes.

I really hope that we'll see some BIG announcements =D

I understand you, but most people who criticizes Pokémon graphic-style are graphic whores that only thinks that NIntendo is lazy to keep on recycling things - and don't see the changes in other areas.

The evolution is a good think, and I don't think that anyone will see Pokémon X/Y and say: "I can't play this thing, it's too hard". That's what happen to people who is afraid to play Zelda, Mario and other 3D Games. Even if they change the gameplay a lot, we know that Pokémon isn't about skills, is about strategy. And that will not change!
Yes, my op that brought this discussion was me speculating that 3D and DD might actually increase sales but that is more for the west than Japan.

SovanJedi said:
But the gameplay is primarily the same as the previous Pokemon games, right down to the oft-bemoaned grid-based movement for characters outside of battles. It's purely presentation purposes that they went 3D.
Right. I mean, the worlds of Pokémon already largely went polygonal way back with Diamond/Pearl, and how much difference did that make besides the occasional camera angle change?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The brand new Professor Layton is coming out on February 28th. 5,500 Yen

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Has anyone posted the holiday season totals yet?

I went ahead and did a quick total myself, this is covering 11/26 - 12/30 using Famitsu numbers:

Code:
3DS: 1,407,744
WiiU:  638,339
PS3:   219,580
PSP:   152,929
PSV:    70,846
Wii:    53,183
X360:    7,416
PS2*:    2,285
NDS*:      971

*: No numbers listed for Week 52.

Oersted

The same discussion as always. Wii U sales above PS3 launch = Wii U is doomed. Vita sells below Dreamcast only means predictions are "preposterous". MH on Vita discussion in 4, 3...

Hobby

Japanese twitter account. I say "think" incase I misunderstood.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/288615323819712513

Wait, think it's the end of odd months? Apologies.

Edit: never mind, I think this is all my misunderstanding. Apologies for false hope.

Iwata is merely saying that fans have begun to expect that there will be a Nintendo Direct at the end of every even-numbered month. He wants fans to realize that there won't definitely be a Direct at the end of every even-numbered month due to various circumstances such as preparation of materials and timing for announcements. However, in the next (and final) Tweet he says they want to make this another exciting year in regards to "what's next" for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U by "directly" announcing things to fans through Nintendo Direct.

test_account

XP-39C²
The same discussion as always. Wii U sales above PS3 launch = Wii U is doomed. Vita sells below Dreamcast only means predictions are "preposterous". MH on Vita discussion in 4, 3...
Using the PS3 launch numbers isnt really a good bar for success though.

What do you mean regarding the Vita discussion? There has been talk for nearly one year consistently about how bad it is selling.

METROID Other M - 4,708 / 75,578

Poor Sakaguchi, and now that Animal Crossing is back on track, people will pay dust to Tomodachi Collection.

AniHawk

703. [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) {9/16/2004} - 7,939 / 2,197,017
712. [GBA] Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) {1/29/2004} - 7,824 / 3,076,047

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

donny2112

It's a salute to the (probable) last entry for a GBA game in the Top 1000.

Overall Software
(system - total sales - # of games)

1. PSP - 13,781,228 - 275
2. PS3 - 11,999,888 - 230
3. WII - 8,778,813 - 97
4. NDS - 7,288,899 - 181
5. 3DS - 7,088,267 - 75
6. 360 - 1,246,675 - 112
7. PSV - 387,688 - 16
8. PS2 - 150,530 - 12
9. GBA - 15,763 - 2

3rd-Party Software

1. PSP - 13,334,192 - 264
2. PS3 - 10,964,473 - 197
3. NDS - 5,008,062 - 154
4. 3DS - 3,530,911 - 66
5. WII - 2,752,342 - 66
6. 360 - 1,031,525 - 98
7. PSV - 260,732 - 14
8. PS2 - 150,530 - 12
9. GBA - 0 - 0

1st-Party Software

1. WII - 6,026,471 - 31
2. 3DS - 3,557,356 - 9
3. NDS - 2,280,837 - 27
4. PS3 - 1,035,415 - 33
5. PSP - 447,036 - 11
6. 360 - 215,150 - 14
7. PSV - 126,956 - 2
8. GBA - 15,763 - 2
9. PS2 - 0 - 0

Top Publishers
(publisher - total sales - # of games)

01. Nintendo - 10,662,644 - 59
02. Namco Bandai Games - 8,338,396 - 121
03. Capcom - 4,797,625 - 64
04. Square Enix - 4,742,340 - 66
05. Konami - 3,461,120 - 73
06. SEGA - 2,195,911 - 44
07. Koei-Tecmo - 2,098,152 - 35
08. Level 5 - 2,014,590 - 16
09. SCEI - 1,609,407 - 46
10. Nintendo/Pokemon Co. - 1,217,783 - 10
11. Atlus Co. - 696,806 - 14
12. Spike - 654,222 - 19
13. Electronic Arts Victor - 564,253 - 32
14. Hudson - 499,050 - 19
15. Kadokawa Shoten - 459,362 - 15

Others - 6,726,090 - 367

Total Software in 2011 Top 1000 - 50,737,751 (-18%)
Total Software in 2010 Top 1000 - 61,896,507 (-2.6%)
Total Software in 2009 Top 1000 - 63,560,889

Top Bottom