• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I dreamt last night that Valve finally began hosting a Spring Sale and it began immediately after the current Ubi sale.

it's not a prediction if you copy it from me you bastard

Sure it is!

539211_558899640810349_1226651619_n.jpg

(I said it first. :p)

In the case of Blur, that isn't a factor. They were wholly owned by Activision.

And even if the studio weren't owned by Acti, Acti owns the IP, so the end result (being nothing changing) is the same. For example, Titan Quest continues to be published by THQ despite the independent Iron Lore shutting up shop early into 2008.

>_> If someone wants to buy a prey key from someone else, how much would they normally pay for it?

£4.99 / 2

Hmm that's interesting, I just did a google search and found a steam thread that mentioned that while it seems to come with 2 keys one key will activate the whole game on steam and (according to the original poster) the second key is useless.

He says "pointless", which could and probably does just mean "redundant".

GAMERG0D

JaseC

It's only a matter of time until Valve starts locking down on their registry...

Valve games don't leak via the registry because Valve's smart enough to list them as ValveTestApps until they're ready to be unmasked. Publishers could do the very same thing if they so desired, as Ubi did with the belated PC port of I Am Alive.

Salsa

I cant quite figure out why they havent already done so.

because its absolutely intended to build hype for devs who know how to use it

they are free to name the entries whatever the hell they want. It's internal.

if they put the name out there is because they're stupid or they know

JaseC

I cant quite figure out why they havent already done so.

There's nothing to suggest that publishers actually care that games/unannounced ports leak via the registry. If anything it could be considered a marketing tactic due to the resulting dissemination of news and hype.

Edit: Beaten.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
>_> If someone wants to buy a prey key from someone else, how much would they normally pay for it?
Oh, no idea. I gave my spare one away :p

Quick question: what do you guys think I should do, gaming wise? Try to beat Deadlight (and its awful controls), start Prototype (which I've heard becomes kinda boring as all missions are similar), begin Alpha Protocol (which some people consider one of this gen's best RPGs, though janky as fuck and with awful shooting mechanics) or trying my luck at a point & click adventure, such as the first Blackwell or Machinarium or Monkey Island (which I never finished before)?

Of course, I'll probably do it tomorrow, as it's 1:17 here and I should get some sleep.

Hmm that's interesting, I just did a google search and found a steam thread that mentioned that while it seems to come with 2 keys one key will activate the whole game on steam and (according to the original poster) the second key is useless.

The thread also lists places to pick up copies of the game if you're interested in seeing some prices.

Steam thread that I mentioned

Apparent website where you can buy the game?

I can not vouch for any of this but it's a head-start if you're doing some research into it.
Both keys work fine, I can assure it. One of them supposedly only works for the single player part, while the other is for both SP and multiplayer. But as the MP is all but dead, both keys are virtually the same now.

If you don't believe me, ask YianGaruga. He's the one who got my spare key.

Just beat Black Ops II campaign. SOOOOOOOO GOOD. I am one of the few that buys COD games for SP as I am not a MP kinda guy. Non stop crazy action.
Any Creedence song? That was the only thing I liked from the first Blops.

Salsa

Quick question: what do you guys think I should do, gaming wise? Try to beat Deadlight (and its awful controls), start Prototype (which I've heard becomes kinda boring as all missions are similar), begin Alpha Protocol (which some people consider one of this gen's best RPGs, though janky as fuck and with awful shooting mechanics) or trying my luck at a point & click adventure, such as the first Blackwell or Machinarium or Monkey Island (which I never finished before)?

Of course, I'll probably do it tomorrow, as it's 1:17 here and I should get some sleep.

Alpha Protocol + Machinarium

you can do both just fine. Machinarium is short, and Alpha Protocol shits on all those other non-adventure games.

JaseC

All things considered, Machinarium is still the finest point-and-click adventure game since LucasArts ditched the genre. I just wish it were longer.

Derrick01

Banned

If you're playing Alpha Protocol the right way you shouldn't have to do any shooting except for a few forced parts/boss fights here and there. The rest of the time you should be taking people out from behind with takedowns and running around invisibly with your pistol + stealth build.

That way when you do get to a forced action sequence you can line up 3+ headshots in a row with chain shot and armor piercing ammo and take the boss down in a couple of chain hits.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Alpha Protocol + Machinarium

you can do both just fine. Machinarium is short, and Alpha Protocol shits on all those other non-adventure games.
Thanks, will play those, with Machinarium first. I'd rather not play 2 games at once, as I'll probably end up not giving the proper attention to any.

I just hope it's not one of those "Read a guide or you're screwed" kind of games, I'm usually bad with adventure games.

If you're playing Alpha Protocol the right way you shouldn't have to do any shooting except for a few forced parts/boss fights here and there. The rest of the time you should be taking people out from behind with takedowns and running around invisibly with your pistol + stealth build.

That way when you do get to a forced action sequence you can line up 3+ headshots in a row with chain shot and armor piercing ammo and take the boss down in a couple of chain hits.
Of course, I'd like to do a stealth and no-kill playthrough, like in Deus Ex (not counting the latter 1/4 of the game where I decided to kill everyone on sight). I definitely want to try this game, after hearing it does dialogue and choice better than the Mass Effect games.

JaseC

Thanks, will play those, with Machinarium first. I'd rather not play 2 games at once, as I'll probably end up not giving the proper attention to any.

I just hope it's not one of those "Read a guide or you're screwed" kind of games, I'm usually bad with adventure games.

The game has a rather brilliant hint system in the form of an in-game book you must unlock for each puzzle by playing a short level of a SHMUPesque mini-game.

How is AC: BroHood's performance on PC?

Fantastic. During my performance test runs it never dipped below ~80fps at 1680x1050, max settings and 4x MSAA on a GTX 670.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The game has a rather brilliant hint system in the form of an in-game book you must unlock for each puzzle by playing a short level of a SHMUPesque mini-game.
That's nice, I'm glad the devs were generous enough to include optional tips and hints for us less gifted adventure gamers.

Grief.exe

Don't Starve is so frustratingly hard and amazing at the same time.

I haven't seen a Beefalo herd in a while, so nice to set up a bunch of trees while they are sleeping, light a fire, and watch the world burn...then have enough meat for the next two weeks.

Sober

Don't Starve is so frustratingly hard and amazing at the same time.

I haven't seen a Beefalo herd in a while, so nice to set up a bunch of trees while they are sleeping, light a fire, and watch the world burn...then have enough meat for the next two weeks.
I just forgot to start up my fire pit just a life ago and died in the dark not being able to find it with the mouse. I'm still also too chickenshit to start fighting anything bigger than a spider (bees are too much).

I also believe the game has winter and stuff like that and people probably living for like months on end with small forts and stuff. Blows my mind since I can barely keep myself from starving at times.

xJavonta

Banned
Big Picture Mode is really close to being perfect. They even nailed the redistributable install process!!

It's AssCreed 3 that has performance issues, so you can skip that. :p
Hopefully they'll be fixed by the time the summer sale comes around. THEN I can buy it lol

Grief.exe

I just forgot to start up my fire pit just a life ago and died in the dark not being able to find it with the mouse. I'm still also too chickenshit to start fighting anything bigger than a spider (bees are too much).

I also believe the game has winter and stuff like that and people probably living for like months on end with small forts and stuff. Blows my mind since I can barely keep myself from starving at times.

I usually try to put my base next to somewhere that has easy access to rabbits, a worm hole, and rocks.

Build a football helmet and log suit to help you fight things.

I haven't really gotten to test this too extensively since i just figured this out. But if you build a shovel, you can dig up berry bushes and plant them near your base.

I had about 30 planted on that last life, but I didn't live long enough to utilize them.

steveovig

I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this but I'm new to Steam. I bought Far Cry on Sunday but it doesn't have controller support and I hate it. Am I able to trade my copy of this for something else to someone? How would that work exactly? I really feel stupid for asking this, to be honest.

More Halo 3 rumors

The game showed up in the latest AMD beta drivers

http://www.kn00tcn.net/site/halo-3-for-pc/

Interesting, thanks.

I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this but I'm new to Steam. I bought Far Cry on Sunday but it doesn't have controller support and I hate it. Am I able to trade my copy of this for something else to someone? How would that work exactly? I really feel stupid for asking this, to be honest.

You could use something like xpadder if you really have to use a controller I suppose https://sites.google.com/site/xpadderfan/xpadder-big-download/profiles | grep Far Cry. But otherwise there is no way to refund or trade a steam game. If you email steam support they might give you "one" refund but it is probably unlikely.

JaseC

You're stuck with it. Well, Steam Support can remove it upon request, but you won't receive a refund, unless you can point to the letter of the law that states Valve is obligated to provide one.

Grief.exe

Once its on your library its more or less permanent.

You can contact Valve support and they will usually give you a refund for Steam Wallet money. Its outside their official TOS, but they generally give you a one time mulligan.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I'm desperately looking for Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast and Sega Rally Revo.
Any recommendation on how to get them somewhere? I'm happy to trade or buy via Paypal!

Any advice would make me so happy :)

BadAss2961

You could try Xpadder.

I hate to be "that guy", but try to get better with keyboard/mouse when you're up to it. It's worth it for FPS.

Grief.exe

The Steam Store page says that it has partial controller support. You shouldn't need Xpadder.

What controller are you using?

If its a 360 one, have you installed the appropriate drivers?

EDIT: Thought you were referring to FC3 for some reason.

Dr Dogg

Of course, I'll probably do it tomorrow, as it's 1:17 here and I should get some sleep

I'd say Machinarium first, about 2 hours long and really charming. Monkey Island can be done in and around 4 hours and 5 for its sequel but you really should play these at some point if you're a point and click nut. Alpha Protocol is well worth any perseverance with the controls for the story and conversation choices alone. One of the few games I'm happy to get a walkthrough of FAQs just to get through the jank.

Fantastic. During my performance test runs it never dipped below ~80fps at 1680x1050, max settings and 4x MSAA on a GTX 670.

Wait? 1680x1050? I know my monitor is getting ancient but its been a while since I left that resolution behind

It's AssCreed 3 that has performance issues, so you can skip that. :p

But you'll buy it eventually.

Guys make sure to get Bad Rats and purchase multiple copies for your friends!

Before you move to Origin

Had a copy sat in my inventory for close to 18 months but can't bring myself to send it to someone and I certainly don't wait that stain on my account.

JaseC

Wait? 1680x1050? I know my monitor is getting ancient but its been a while since I left that resolution behind

I have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when it comes to PC components outside of the case. That said, my current monitor is literally falling apart... but still functions correctly.

But you'll by it eventually.

Oh, I pre-ordered the DDE (and 100%'d the game). The series is my guiltiest of pleasures, even after the disappointing journey that was virtually every facet of AssCreed 3.

Grief.exe

I have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when it comes to PC components outside of the case. That said, my current monitor is literally falling apart... but still functions correctly.

Jase is waiting either for 4K resolution or OLED 1440p to hit consumer prices.

Dr Dogg

True my mouse has seen better days but thanks to good old Logitech customer support I know I've know a warranty for life. Saying that I've been eying a Dell Ultra Sharp for peanuts but smell a rat as it's almost too good to be true.

Oh, I pre-ordered the DDE (and 100%'d the game). The series is my guiltiest of pleasures, even after the disappointing journey that was virtually every facet of AssCreed 3.

Well hopefully the mod scene will fix it by the time my slow arse broadband downloads it so it becomes Haytham Creed for the duration. Gave up on the 360 version and just knocked out the story due to horrid framerate. Was only last night after I bought it did I remember it was a pretty shaky port at best on PC. Oh well it's only money.

JaseC

Jase is waiting either for 4K resolution or OLED 1440p to hit consumer prices.

Haha, 1080p will do me just fine.

Well hopefully the mod scene will fix it by the time my slow arse broadband downloads it so it becomes Haytham Creed for the duration. Gave up on the 360 version and just knocked out the story due to horrid framerate. Was only last night after I bought it did I remember it was a pretty shaky port at best on PC. Oh well it's only money.

I just donned the Captain Kidd outfit and pretended I was a pirate. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom