• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2013: SF4 MVC3 TTT2 MK9 SFxT KOF P4A Player's Choice

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
evo.jpg

The games have been announced!
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver.2012
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Mortal Kombat 9
  • Street Fighter X Tekken ver.2013
  • King of Fighters XIII
  • Persona 4: Arena
  • *Player's choice slot: Players will donate to a breast cancer charity, and the game with the most donations will receive the 8th slot. Games in contention are all of those in this poll with over 500 votes.

Also announced were the American EVO regional qualifiers:
  • Southern California Regionals 2013 (January 18)
  • Northern California Regionals (April 26)
  • Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 9 (May 24)
  • CEO 2013 (June 28)
International qualifiers are TBA.

Where?
The games will be announced by Mr. Wizard on this week's WakeUP SRK Live Podcast at 10PM EST/7PM PST. Click here for a link to the Twitch channel. [LIVE NOW]​

What?
EVO, or the Evolution Championship Series is a massive annual fighting game tournament series. It is generally considered to be one of the largest and most prestigious fighting game events of the year, drawing in players from all over the world. If there's a fighting game event to watch throughout the entire year, it's EVO.

You can watch the EVO 2013 trailer here. EVO 2013 will take place July 12-14 at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas.​

Why?
EVO as an event is considered to be fairly influential in the fighting game community, and the games chosen for one of the biggest stages in fighting games could be influential in the directions the community or sub-communities for games go. Communities look on to see if their games represented, and if they don't we can still be entertained by the salt.​

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition version.2012
King of Fighters XIII
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Persona 4 Arena

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition version.2012
King of Fighters XIII
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Persona 4 Arena

Great lineup.

I've been too busy with work to keep up with the scene, but I'll definately be watching this. I might have to take friday off so I can see it all live like I do every other year.

Always hype for Evo.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Reposting my predictions:

SSF4AE12
UMvC3
TTT2
P4A
KOF13
MK9

- I expect 6 games (same as last year), with the odds of the above 6 making the cut in order from most likely to least. SF4 and MvC3 are givens. A new Tekken is traditionally a lock during its release year, and nothing about TTT2 indicates otherwise. P4A is kind of a dark horse, but it seems to consistently pull good numbers at majors for a non-Capcom game. KOF13 and MK9 have a chance of being dropped due to low attendance, but I just don't see anything else unseating them.

- The game with the most entrants will be the "main game." I expect this to once again be SF4.

- I expect that SFxTK's inclusion in IPL actually gives Evo less of a reason to include this game in their lineup, as this gives the xTK playerbase a dedicated alternative and frees SRK from having to worry whether the 2013 patch is good enough to turn interest around or not.

- There is no hype for PSASBR and while I think it's possible that Sony could moneyhat their way into the ring, I don't expect it.

- Injustice is too much of an unknown. I know MK9 and SFxTK have snuck into the Evo line-up in the past even before they were released, but I don't expect that to happen this time.

- DOA5, VF5FS, SCV, Skullgirls, and GGAC+ are out of the running, barring the possibility of "official side tournaments" like Sega did with VF5 last year.

- Just realized as I typed this up that I didn't consider Blazblue at all, but I literally know nothing about that game's scene, its typical turn-out, or anything about its new release.

- Neither version of Smash will make it due to logistical concerns (CRTs) alone, among other reasons.

kirblar

What I want:

UMvC3
SF4AE2012WTFBBQOMG
KOF13
TTT2
SFxT
SCV

What I expect

UMvC3
SF4AE2012
KOF13
TTT2
P4A
Injustice

What I dread

Sony Smash

Haunted

Maybe Sony took a second look into their coffers and Playstation Smash Bros finally gets the serious competitive treatment it deserves.
lol

How are the MK and Soul Calibur scenes? Still alive? Don't see who else could be removed besides SFxT.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Maybe Sony took a second look into their coffers and Playstation Smash Bros finally gets the serious competitive treatment it deserves.
lol
Well they weaseled their way into primetime last year, I'm sure they could misspend their money once more!

My predictions once again:

SSFIV:AEv2012
UMvC3
TTT2
P4:A
Injustice
PSABR

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Put_Sagat_in_Mr_Wizard

As long as AE and Marvel somehow make it (teehee) I'll be happy, rest of the lineup doesn't really matter to me as long as it isn't full of main stream time-hog games *cough* tekken *cough*.

It would also be nice to see the return of KOF because it was hype as fuck last year.

TDLink

My guesses, assuming 6 games:

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition version 2012
King of Fighters XIII
Dead or Alive 5
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Persona 4: Arena

I would love to see Injustice up there instead of one of those but it doesn't come out until April so there probably wouldn't be enough time to prepare for Evo with it. Would also be cool with seeing Skullgirls get in.

Playstation All-Stars getting a spot would be a terrible and cruel joke.

Reposting my predictions:

I predict

AE
UMvC3
TTT2
KOF XIII
P4A

And a side-event/showcase for PSASBR and Injustice

(of course I'd love to see Melee but I doubt it)

and my realism

I can say with confidence that Melee is likely not happening.

If it was, I'm sure me and other organizers on the Smash side would have at least been contacted by now. None of the prominent Vegas or Cali smash heads have heard a peep.

They can surprise us for sure, but I doubt Mr. Wizard would make such a big announcement without consulting a few people first.

I'm more interested to hear what Mr. Wizard says in response to the Melee poll. It won't be chosen as an official game but hearing his reaction to it will be interesting. Its either he hates on smash and makes bullshit excuses (which will fan the flames) or blames it on the logistics (which is more reasonable).

Safe/boring bet:

SF4
Marvel
TTT2
P4A
MK9
KOF

Sell out bet:

SF4
Marvel
TTT2
Injustice