• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A comprehensive list of all the PS4/XboxNext games we know are coming

Game design is getting so bland now. The only interesting thing there that has something concrete to show is Cyberpunk.

I don't know why I'm so over what the industry has to offer, but things like Watch Dogs and (while not next gen) Last of Us just don't appeal. If this list is an example of what the "true" next gen has to offer, I might just skip it.

Mirror's Edge 2 actually being a thing might bring me around, though.

EDIT: A perfect example of what I'm talking about is how they take something as colourful and imaginative as Star Wars and turn it into a generic, gritty corridor shooter. *slow clap*

But at least there are lots of polygons and shaders, amirite?

KKRT00

Planetside 2
Crysis 3 is next-gen game too :)
Fornite
Gran Turismo 6 is most likely next-gen.
Just Cause 3
Ryse
Homefront 3
Star Citizen

Bgamer90

Banned
1. Yes, it's been 8 years. But you can tell with games like The Last of Us, or Halo 4 (graphics wise) that developers are still managing to push the current gen tech farther and farther. I just feel that with old tech like what we have with the 360/PS3 give developers more reason to think outside of the box (in terms of game design) rather than just relying on pretty graphics to swoon us over.

How come people think a new gen is just "better graphics"? It's that, on top of bigger worlds, better implemented features, more immersion, etc.

2. Of course there will be rising costs. The average AAA game this generation costs 50-100 million to make (of course a large chunk of that costs is marketing and advertising). There's no doubt in my mind that next generation it'll be 70-120+ Million.

Some big name devs will probably increase the budget but others won't. It's not automatic.

I mean, if it's easier to implement certain features into games due to the increased power of the console(s), then that means that the feature will more than likely be cheaper to put into the game. I don't know why people think everything will automatically be higher in terms of budget.

Heck, look at the multiplatform versions of PC games. They are on the same budget but they look better than console versions.

DatDude

Banned
Game design is getting so bland now. The only thing there that has something concrete to show is Cyberpunk.

I don't know why I'm so over what the industry has to offer, but things like Watch Dogs and (while not next gen) Last of Us just don't appeal. If this list is an example of what the "true" next gen has to offer, I might just skip it.

EDIT: A perfect example of what I'm talking about is how they take something as colourful and imaginative as Star Wars and turn it into a generic, gritty corridor shooter. *slow clap*

journey-game-screenshot-6.jpg

unfinished1.jpg

ftl-faster-than-light-20120915014330855-000.jpg

Hotline-Miami-1.jpg

fezx-large.jpg

73eb9a4377f8226c1d49024405fdc3ae.jpg

tumblr_m6ls6staws1qb9a09o1_1280.png

walkingdead3.jpg

Rain.jpg

Expand your horizons dude.

SteveWD40

snip le awesome

This, the indie scene is amazing right now, I am taking a step away from the big budget stuff by going "non gaming" laptop, with a HD4000 I am essentially playing indies / valve stuff only and I still doubt I will ever get bored.

journey-game-screenshot-6.jpg

unfinished1.jpg

ftl-faster-than-light-20120915014330855-000.jpg

Hotline-Miami-1.jpg

fezx-large.jpg

73eb9a4377f8226c1d49024405fdc3ae.jpg

tumblr_m6ls6staws1qb9a09o1_1280.png

Rain.jpg

What? Nothing you posted, bar maybe Journey, requires anything near the power people are drooling for from next gen. Miami Hotline could have been done on the Amiga. It's almost the point; big budget gaming is playing it so safe that it's mundane.

That said, Journey is a terrible game.

PaulLFC

Can probably add Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 from Konami to the list. It's using the Fox Engine, so I assume across both current and next-gen platforms.

DatDude

Banned
What? Nothing you posted, bar maybe Journey, requires anything near the power people are drooling for from next gen. Miami Hotline could have been done on the Amiga. It's almost the point; big budget gaming is playing it so safe that it's mundane.

I agree big budget gaming has become "safe" nowadays, but it's only because that publishers can't afford risks anymore. If a bid budget artsy game was released that had a budget of 60+ Million and bombed than that publisher would most likely be ruined. They play on the safe side because they know what there audience wants (and the majority of that audience is COD players).

Go to the indie scene and you will discover pure gaming bliss.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Game design is getting so bland now. The only interesting thing there that has something concrete to show is Cyberpunk.

Pretty big call to make when you haven seen much from any of these games.

But hey, its cool to be all hipster and jaded amirite?

I agree big budget gaming has become "safe" nowadays, but it's only because that publishers can't afford risks anymore. If a bid budget artsy game was released that had a budget of 60+ Million and bombed than that publisher would most likely be ruined. They play on the safe side because they know what there audience wants (and the majority of that audience is COD players).

Go to the indie scene and you will discover pure gaming bliss.

TBH, I find a lot of indie games to be terrible as well. I think the appeal, and I can appreciate this, sterms from a counter to industry powerhouse thought. It's opinion, of course, but the only indie game I've really enjoyed in recent memory has been VVVVVV.

Yet the point still stands, and this train of thought strengthens it. So many people quick to call out the Wii U as not being next gen, or extolling the power of the PC, but then point to indie games that can run on a cell phone as the interesting things going on in gaming. We don't need next gen for that, and if all it can really offer is what's on display here, I might skip it.

KKRT00

Star Citizen, Planetside 2, EVE Online, World of Darkness, Fornite, Skyrim Modded, proper game like DayZ for everyone of those You need next-gen technology.

Ps. Proper Mass Effect also couldnt be done on current-gen consoles.

DatDude

Banned
TBH, I find a lot of indie games to be terrible as well. I think the appeal, and I can appreciate this, sterms from a counter to industry powerhouse thought. It's opinion, of course, but the only indie game I've really enjoyed in recent memory has been VVVVVV.

Yet the point still stands, and this train of thought strengthens it. So many people quick to call out the Wii U as not being next gen, or extolling the power of the PC, but then point to indie games that can run on a cell phone as the interesting things going on in gaming. We don't need next gen for that, and if all it can really offer is what's on display here, I might skip it.

Personally, the reason why I'm a fan of indie gaming is because there seems to be alot more heart and love put into that "game that can be run on a cellphone" than your average AAA big budget game.

Pretty big call to make when you haven seen shit from any of these games.

But hey, its cool to be all hipster and jaded amirite?

Right, because all of those games will be channelling Outrun next time we see them.

Besides, why should you care if I find modern mainstream game design mundane? Shouldn't stop you enjoying them. Or do opinions need to be approved now?

KKRT00

There's a bunch of announced Wii U games that I don't see in the OP.

We are talking about games that couldnt be done in the same quality on current-gen consoles and Wii U is not next-gen console, it came out in the time for next-gen, but technologically its current gen.

DatDude

Banned
Right, because all of those games will be channelling Outrun next time we see them.

Besides, why should you care if I find modern mainstream game design mundane? Shouldn't stop you enjoying them. Or do opinions need to be approved now?

I think it's fine.

I just think it's a bit strange is all (personally). Obviously your a fan of video games, your on neogaf, so you must like video games to a medium/hardcore extent. So all this, "video game design suck ballz" now just sounds sort of..Idk, strange I guess?

If you don't mind, what do you personally consider good game design (or basically games that you are quite fond of)?

We are talking about games that couldnt be done in the same quality on current-gen consoles and Wii U is not next-gen console, it came out in the time for next-gen, but technologically its current gen.

Zombi U couldn't have been done last gen at the same quality, nor-Nintendo Land.

If we're talking solely graphical prowess then no first party Nintendo game could be done at it's Wii U level last gen.

I think it's fine.

I just think it's a bit strange is all (personally). Obviously your a fan of video games, your on neogaf, so you must like video games to a medium/hardcore extent. So all this, "video game design suck ballz" now just sounds sort of..Idk, strange I guess?

If you don't mind, what do you personally consider good game design (or basically games that you are quite fond of)?

A few off the top of my head:

Mega Man 2
Streets of Rage 2
Scud Race
Outrun 2
Sonic Colors and Sonic Rush
Super Mario Galaxy
Viva Pinata
Pokémon White
VVVVVV
Plants vs Zombies
WoW
Virtual On
Shadow of the Beast... at least aesthetically.

DaBoss

I'm most excited for Watch_Dogs, it is a really cool concept, is open-world, and a new IP. I hope every publisher has reveals like Ubisoft's.
I guess since the Wii U is already out I didn't know whether to include its games here or not since technically it's...current gen now?

I'll add them regardless in a little while.
Zelda and Metroid in HD man, you know you want them.

JoshHood

Zombi U couldn't have been done last gen at the same quality, nor-Nintendo Land.

If we're talking solely graphical prowess then no first party Nintendo game could be done at it's Wii U level last gen.

That's a flawed logic though, because otherwise we could include 3DS and Vita games seeing as those platforms are both significant upgrades over their predecessors. I simply don't see Wii U as next gen because it is already out - that makes it current gen surely?

That's a flawed logic though, because otherwise we could include 3DS and Vita games seeing as those platforms are both significant upgrades over their predecessors. I simply don't see Wii U as next gen because it is already out - that makes it current gen surely?
The 360 released a year before PS3 and Wii, you probably didnt question that 360 was next gen at the time even though it came out a year before the competition.

KKRT00

You're saying that Zombi U nor Nintendo Land couldnt be done on X0 or PS3?
Are You joking? Or are You comparing those games to Wii capabilities, but thats completely irrelevant to discussion.

I'm at a loss as to what exactly you're busting a nut over in that screenshot? A nicely rendered ship? Or maybe the nicely rendered asteroid. All of it is very interesting, I'm sure.
Read about Star Citizen and then back to this thread.

You're saying that Zombi U nor Nintendo Land couldnt be done on X0 or PS3?
Are You joking? Or are You comparing those games to Wii capabilities, but thats completely irrelevant to discussion.

Read about Star Citizen and then back to this thread.

Yes, I'm telling you that Nintendo Land couldn't be done on a PS3 or 360.

Think about it

KKRT00

Yes, I'm telling you that Nintendo Land couldn't be done on a PS3 or 360.

Think about it

You're talking about controller? You could release peripheral or use Vita/Microsoft Phone for that in other consoles, or just use online coop.
Its like saying that Sport Champions games are next-gen, because they cant be done on other platforms in the same way.

No, there is nothing next-gen about those games.

watershed

Banned
I wonder how much the look/promise of these games will change before now and their actual release. I hope the promise of next gen doesn't end up being like the ps3 Killzone video.

I'm pretty excited about Watch Dogs. A lot of other stuff there looks pretty status quo. Infinity Ward making a...zombie game? There's not enough of that dead horse left to beat.

Destiny's universe sounds so typically video-gamey, though if it does something interesting gameplay-wise that could be good...but I guess we don't know anything about the gameplay. Likewise "Whore of the Orient". Is it just L.A. Noire 2? I'll need to know before I have anything to get excited about. CD Projekt's stuff could be good.

Watch Dogs is going to be released in 2013 and is announced to be a current gen game. It looks amazing, but it has nothing to do with next gen. They could do a cross platform release, but we "don't know if that's coming".

Reiko

Banned
Watch Dogs is going to be released in 2013 and is announced to be a current gen game. It looks amazing, but it has nothing to do with next gen. They could do a cross platform release, but we "don't know if that's coming".

The only reason it was announced like that was because the next gen consoles aren't officially revealed.

I see some are asking about Mirror's Edge 2. It's been confirmed to be in development more than once. Here is the most recent confirmation.

And about Watch Dogs, Ubisoft said they're interested in "other platforms" for it as well, on top of this suspicious tweet. They said it's coming to 360/PS3, yes. But using common sense, we know it will not look anywhere close to what we saw at E3, and will instead be an extremely scaled down version. Bet money how we saw it at E3 is how we'll get it on 720/PS4.

Top Bottom