• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Since Vita did the whole "price yourself out of the market, lack killer apps, and sell at a loss" thing at the worst possible time, I've concluded that Sony is incapable of learning from their mistakes. So yeah, I'm still afraid.
I thought the vita was pretty well priced for what it was, as well the developers commented on the friendly dev tools. Vita failed because of a lack of support from Sony and because there just isn't much of a market for it any more.

The PS4 won't have a lack of support, we know that already.

Is the ram an issue?
I really don't know if 4 is enough but after this generation I would love to see them just have the same amount as the xbox

Orayn

For the record, what I'm actually expecting is a moderately beastly $400 base SKU, sold at a loss but not a horrific one like the PS3.

PS4 "Orbis"
- AMD APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores, Higher Clock than X720/Durango
- Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution
- 2-4GB GDDR5
- Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Xbox 720 "Durango"
- AMD Jaguar 1.6GHZ 8-Core
- AMD 8800/8900 GPU
- 8GB Ram (DDR3?)
- Launch 2013

when was this revealed?

Vesper73

If the PS4 ends up with 4GB of memory, but the next Xbox has 8GB, wouldn't that cut down on the kinds of massive open world support you would get on both systems, (as the developers would have to create their engines based on the least common denominator).

Even worse, it would affect the pc since console considerations trump all else when doing multi platform development.

"You know George, we were going to do a massive world without load times, but since we can't do it on a system with 4GB, we'll need to switch our engine over to a 'zone' based model for everyone". nnnnnnnnnnnnnnDUDE!!!!!

Jeels

I'm no hardcore wizard of tech understanding but isn't it much better RAM? Combine that with not knowing how much is used for the the OS on Durango. Too many unknowns.

Not necessarily. Those Xbox rumours are from the devkit, and the amount of RAM in the devkits (especially early ones) is commonly double what it is in the final retail product. Also GDDR5 is much fast than DDR3 when it comes to RAM. Time will tell however.

Thanks for clearing that up, I really had no idea.

Derrick01

Banned
If the PS4 ends up with 4GB of memory, but the next Xbox has 8GB, wouldn't that cut down on the kinds of massive open world support you would get on both systems, (as the developers would have to create their engines based on the least common denominator).

Even worse, it would affect the pc since console considerations trump all else when doing multi platform development.

"You know George, we were going to do a massive world without load times, but since we can't do it on a system with 4GB, we'll need to switch our engine over to a 'zone' based model". nnnnnnnnnnnnnnDUDE!!!!!

It would affect most kinds of games not just open world stuff, especially if devs are working off the 720's specs like most worked off the 360 this generation. Then again it's not like open world games can run much worse on Sony consoles than they did with PS3. But it would really suck to see Sony cheap out on RAM of all things.

2012 Jul – devkits for engineers writing OS

Seriously Sony? You're giving the OS guys like 3 months to do the OS? Did Sony learn nothing from the PS3?

Orayn

"You know George, we were going to do a massive world without load times, but since we can't do it on a system with 4GB, we'll need to switch our engine over to a 'zone' based model". nnnnnnnnnnnnnnDUDE!!!!!

It really depends on the type of memory they use. It sounds kind of the shoe's on the other foot compared to last generation and the Orbis will be using a unified pool of fairly fast memory, while the Durango seems to have a giant bank of slower memory and presumably some fast stuff besides.

Sethos

Banned

All that extra RAM is going to be benefiting games the least, going to be everything else that benefits - In-game features like Dashboards, multi-tasking, faster response times by RAM caching it all etc. Most games today, even PC exclusive games don't suck 4-5GBs of ram, that'd be insane. So they could easily fit a large game world on both if they have the ability to turn down features on the side to save RAM.

4GB of ram seems like a bad move.

Yeah its probably fast but I will guess the OS will take at least a gig of it up and you know developers will bitch.

Maybe they can have separate RAM for the OS?

Persona86

Banned
Did anyone know people when they were kids, that said things like "I've got a PS2" etc before it was even announced, those people are hilarious.

It would affect most kinds of games not just open world stuff, especially if devs are working off the 720's specs like most worked off the 360 this generation. Then again it's not like open world games can run much worse on Sony consoles than they did with PS3. But it would really suck to see Sony cheap out on RAM of all things.

I don't see it as Sony being cheap fast ram does have a advantage in certain things .
If they go with slower ram like MS they going to need something to help it .

Seriously Sony? You're giving the OS guys like 3 months to do the OS? Did Sony learn nothing from the PS3?

The XMB was the least of Sony's worries with the PS3. It was a clean, smooth, and completely functional OS. Granted it wasn't integrated across the table ala Live's Dashboard, but it served its purpose well enough.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

That's Jul 12.

But I assume it's a reference to 'first real prototype' kits down as shipping to game devs shortly after in Q3 rather than the variety mentioned in 2011. Otherwise it doesn't sound right...unless they meant a broader swathe of devs working on wider OS services vs the core developers.

But I reckon it's a reference to the same type of kit as shipped in Q3 '12 to other devs.

elcapitan

lol at all the people getting their dates mixed up. All these rumors are making me crazy and excited at the same time. I can't wait to see how MS and Sony will unveil their machines. The focus on dashboard services and community features will be the true differentiator next-gen.

Cornbread78

I assume you are aware that Xbox 360 has 512MB of GDDR5 as both system and vram memory [one unified pool]? :D

Both new consoles will have unified pools, Durango with DDR and Orbis with GDDR. Cheap DDR will allow larger variety of assets and better texture resolution, but GDDR will allow much faster transfer times, lower latencies, better streaming. In the end, both consoles will end up with very simmilar visuals, but they will be achieved with different rendering tactics.

PS4 "Orbis"
- AMD APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores, Higher Clock than X720/Durango
- Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution
- 2-4GB GDDR5
- Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Xbox 720 "Durango"
- AMD Jaguar 1.6GHZ 8-Core
- AMD 8800/8900 GPU
- 8GB Ram (DDR3?)
- Launch 2013

But which will be easier to write software for and play better?

I'm lost in those specs...

Brera

Banned
I would say sony have the best console os designers.

Sony actually seem to want to have an awesome os so im not worried

1stStrike

Banned
The OP needs to be clarified on the memory front, as everyone is mixing up the memory. I made the same mistake when I skimmed it quick.

GDDR is not the same as DDR.

From the way it's sounding, the PS4 is going to have dedicated memory for the games and will (probably) have a separate pool for everything else (1 - 2 gb?).

While the xbox is going to just have one giant pool of (albeit slower) memory for everything.

I want a conservatively spec'd, developer-friendly machine with a base price of $300 and an emphasis on DD and things other than AAA $60 retail+$50 season pass mainstream action schlock.

I want a balls to the wall gaming system with bleeding edge custom tech in box that outputs photo-realistic graphics, plays every form of media I throw at it, and sits neatly in my entertainment system.

MY $600 IS READY

Arklite

Hope they're taking a hard look at their competition. They can't afford to under power it and have the competition's momentum take them even further with hard specs and support. Splurge on the RAM to make it an adequate multitasking entertainment machine.

KalBalboa

Banned
If these numbers are to be believed, would it mean Orbis has significantly faster RAM while the Durango simply has more?

Maybe that's Sony's way of speeding up loads and installs, overall- going the Gamecube route in terms of memory.

Top Bottom