• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Hopefully Sony learned their mistake with Vita. Launching in Japan should be a 2nd priority to Europe and the US especially with the fact that its lineup will likely be heavily western focused. They are idiots if they give MS a holiday in the west by themselves to focus on Japan where consoles are dying there anyway.

KalBalboa

Banned
4 GB alone is 8x what PS3 currently offers though... and that's also comparing different speeds and other variables of RAM.

Sounds hefty enough, but again I'm blind to the benefits of the type of RAM they're hypothesizing in the Orbis. It sounds like it'd load quicker, in general, than what the Durango is supposedly using, but this is all so hypothetical.

I don't see a scenario where Sony launches in Japan first. Worldwide studios is heavily western based, and more content will be ready. If anything, the lack of Japan development will hurt the launch in Japan.

Agreed, Japan is a lost cause anyway for both Sony and MS. The only thing that sells there is Nintendo handhelds.

But you are talking about a graphic card.

you are right...the mobo will be large, it can't be that small, otherwise the chips would get too hot.

Maybe live goes up to $100 a year.

The $99 model was created because the console had dropped to a low enough subsidy cost. The system needed a boost, sales were down and the system was mature enough, to afford MS that type of reduced subsidy. No way you'll see them going that low at launch. The $99 thing was created to keep up momentum of an aging system.

And both systems will target US first, if launching fall 2013: bigger market and bigger revenue. Not because I'm an American who believes we are most important, it's actually because holidays are bigger revenue generators here and it can make or break a company, or product fiscally.

Oersted

Wondering what the selling point will be. Graphics max out alone is clearly not enough for substantial business. Eyetoy return? Kinect 2.0?

So nextbox is stronger than orbis? lol good luck Sony.

Lol where do you get this impression? According to these rumors, the PS4 has a GPU which is about 500 GFLOPS faster and a memory configuration, which is a lot faster than the one rumored for the nextbox. More RAM is more comfortable for developers, but why choose this slow RAM when you have streaming technology etc?

Gemüsepizza;46328205 said:
Lol where do you get this impression? According to these rumors, the PS4 has a GPU which is about 500 GFLOPS faster and a memory configuration, which is a lot faster than the one rumored for the nextbox. More RAM is more comfortable for developers, but why choose this slow RAM when you have streaming technology?

Some rumors saying Durango more powerful than PS4, even with less flops.

goomba

Banned
Gears of War got a PC version that was considered not very demanding to run at higher resolutions and twice the frame rate when it came out.

Yeah but we are talking of a visual leap from
The current norm. The 360 doubled its initial design amount of RAM to make gears of war possible (256 - 512MB).

M.D

Can you insiders tell us anything about the controller? I'm really curious about what they're going to do with it

Several rumors put Durango ahead PS4.

- 8 cores Jaguar CPU
- 8GB DDR3
- Some kind of embedded RAM
- HD88x0 GPU

and other rumors say that ps4 has way faster RAM, faster cores, and probably a hd8xxx gpu too...now what? i guess we can still keep on arguing who's best even if we haven't seen hw/games/real specs.

Deadstar

ron-paul.gif

This will be the greatest year for gaming if both systems launch. $599 US DOLLARS FOR EACH?! My wallet is ready! I've been saving up for 6 years for this!

Some rumors saying Durango more powerful than PS4, even with less flops.

Yes, some users here have claimed that the Durango GPU will be "more powerful", because it is "customised" (whatever that means). But I suppose the GPU for the PS4 is highly customised as well, I mean it has to be if they want to fit it in an APU, so I don't really understand this kind of logic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whoever gets Oculus wins.

Sony wouldn't need to acquire them. They have enough engineering expertise to roll their own.

Microsoft would be a more likely candidate. It's something I've wondered though - what is Oculus Rift's longer term business plan? Are they grooming themselves as an acquisition target or do they want to become 'the' supplier of headsets independent of any platform? Sort of OT mind you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
hd8xxx gpu too

Family affiliations are useless anyway. We can't compare the GPUs until we know the configurations in each. We 'know' the Orbis config if the original vgleaks article is accurate...but I don't think we've seen any specifics on Durango's apart from some vague-ish flop numbers.

hmm.. 8gb vs 4gb RAM difference just seems very significant to me, even if the 4gb is faster. truthfully i have no clue how that difference would play out though, hah.

it's going to be a difficult choice for me if the consoles end up being pretty much equal in terms of power... i guess it depends on the games. The Last Guardian as a launch title would immediately win me over for the PS4 though. that or Agent (lol). MS doesn't really have any single game that could make me switch over to Durango, but if the features are better than on PS4 and it's equal or more impressive power-wise resulting in better multiplats, i might go with them.

Top Bottom