• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lonely Hearts Killers Drama In Works At Showtime From ‘Memphis Beat’ Creators

The project is described as a modern retelling of the story of the Lonely Hearts Killers of the 1940s. It follows the unlikely coupling of a sexy, violent grifter and a quiet, love starved Dairy Plant employee on a cross-country crime spree. They seduce and ultimately murder lonely women – but most surprising of all, fall deeply in love with each other along the way.

Serial killers who target women. How lovely (and original) Showtime!

Lonely Hearts Killers Drama In Works At Showtime From ‘Memphis Beat’ Creators

Serial killers who target women. How lovely (and original) Showtime!

xhkRrEH.jpg

I had enough of that in The Following to pretty much turn me off of just about any future serial killer drama that isn't Hannibal.

And then they made Stalker.

Sigh.

beat

Sounds like it'll be a mashup of Leverage, Blacklist, The Fugitive, and Person of Interest, maybe? Stopping crimes before they happen? Vigilantism?
Sounds to me like something in the Knight Rider vein: a vigilante backed by a mysterious organization has a bunch of heroic episodic adventures that are largely self-contained. Though this being 2015, I guess there will have to be a mytharc too. Except for the mysterious organization's backing, I guess that also describes Burn Notice, probably a bunch more shows.

TheOddOne

- Deadline: ‘X Men’ Drama Series Eyed By Fox
The long rumored X Men series at Fox is not quite a reality yet but it is getting a bit closer. The network is in early negotiations with Marvel about exploring the superhero franchise in television, expanding the current pact 20th Century Fox has for the characters in features. Fox TV Group chairman Gary Newman confirmed the talks to TVInsider. The project, which is in nascent stages contingent on a deal with Marvel, would be created by 24 executive producers Evan Katz and Manny Coto as well as J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay (Star Trek 3), with Katz and Coto serving as showrunners.

A deal would make 20th Century Fox TV the third major TV studio making superhero series, joining Marvel/ABC Studios, which has Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Agent Carter as well as four Netflix series, and Warner Bros. TV, which has DC-themed Gotham, Arrow and The Flash.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Amazon Orders ‘Casanova’ Drama Pilot

Amazon has given a pilot order to Casanova, an 18th century drama from The Americans writer-producer Stu Zicherman and Electus’ Ben Silverman.

Casanova chronicles a little-known period in the life of one of world history’s most famous libertines and playboys. After Giacomo Casanova’s wicked escapades run afoul with the inquisitors in his native Venice, he is sent to prison. The drama focuses on what happens next -- after escaping, the once-materialistic and womanizing Casanova moves to Paris with nothing, determined to start his life over.

There he met with royalties and luminaries, introduced the state lottery — which made him rich — and traveled. Casanova’s memoir, which he wrote in French, is considered one of the most important testaments of 18th century European customs and norms.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone see anything interesting in there? I skimmed the comedy listings, just about nothing caught my eye aside from the one having Danny Chun on board.

As usual, broadcast pilots sound pretty bleak. I did find it noteworthy that there are not one but two Turkish remakes in the mix. Also, this premise makes me laugh:

Quantico
A group of young FBI recruits, all with specific reasons for joining, battle their way through training at the Quantico base in Virginia. The drama intercuts between their hidden pasts and their present training, while also flashing-forward to the near future, where one of the recruits will turn out to be a sleeper terrorist responsible for the most devastating terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11. Josh Safran will write and executive-produce with The Mark Gordon Company.
How to Get Away With Murder + Homeland

Sober

They seem a bit too general, broad and unfocused to be worth evaluating until they at least exist in some other capacity. Some are intriguing, but it remains to be seen what will disappear and what will get picked up.

How to Get Away With Murder + Homeland
That doesn't sound too bad. Worse things have made it to air. If that's the feeling that show is trying to go for, as long as they can capture the good parts of those shows, I could see myself watching it.

Clevinger

Super Clyde
A meek, unassuming fast-food worker finds his calling. The comedy, which was initially developed in 2013 and starred Harry Potter‘s Rupert Grint, will be written and executive-produced by Greg Garcia.

Heh, they're trying this again? Sounded fun.

Warrior
In a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, a damaged heroine works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master to bring down an international crime lord. David DiGilio will write and executive-produce with Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald.

wut

Sober

"Warrior" sounds like a buzzword thesaurus threw up on something.

edit: it's not to say it'll be good or bad, but it's way too vague to even be worth judging (if you're the judgy sort)

TheOddOne

- THR: 'Rush Hour' Remake, Greg Garcia's 'Super Clyde' Re-Do Among CBS Pilot Pickups
CBS got into the pilot game late Monday, moving forward with its Rush Hour adaptation and ordering a new version of Greg Garcia's 2013 comedy Super Clyde as well as a half-hour from Modern Family alum Bill Wrubel.
Rush Hour, which landed at CBS with a hefty pilot-production commitment, is an adaption of the blockbuster movie franchise.

From Cougar Town's Bill Lawrence, the TV remake is in similar tone to the New Line Cinema films and follows a by-the-book Hong Kong police officer who is assigned to a case in L.A., where he's forced to work with a cocky black LAPD officer who has no interest in a partner. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker originated the roles in the three-film series. Casting is currently under way.
More at link.

- THR: Elton John, Alan Ball Musical Drama 'Virtuoso' Ordered to Pilot at HBO
HBO is expanding its relationship with Alan Ball.

The prolific writer-producer who developed True Blood for TV is back at the premium cable network with Virtuoso, a Fame-like musical drama that has received a pilot pickup, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Ball will write, exec produce and direct Virtuoso, an hourlong period drama that is set against the complex and volatile backdrop of 18th century Vienna. Virtuoso follows a class of young musical prodigies from all over Europe at the prestigious Academy of Musical Excellence.

- Variety: ‘Justified’s’ Graham Yost and Noah Wyle Developing Pre-WWII Limited Series at FX
“Justified” creator/showrunner Graham Yost has teamed with actor Noah Wyle for a limited series at FX examining the political battles in the U.S. over the decision to enter World War II.

“Those Angry Days,” from Sony Pictures TV and FX Prods., will focus on the period between 1937 and 1941, as war spread across Europe while isolationist forces in Congress and elsewhere railed against the prospect of America coming to Britain’s aid in the fight against Hitler.

CBS newsman Edward R. Murrow is said to be a character in the series, as is President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Wyle is believed to be on board to play Murrow. The project is in the early stage of development with a script commitment at FX.

- Showtime To Adapt U.K. Mini ‘The Driver’ As Drama Series Starring David Morrissey
Showtime is developing an American drama series version of the three-part BBC One thriller miniseries The Driver. Morrissey, who starred in and executive produced the U.K. mini, is set to reprise his role and topline the Showtime project, which he also will executive produce. Justified executive producer Taylor Elmore will pen the adaptation with the original’s writer Danny Brocklehurst. CBS TV Studios, where Emore is under an overall deal, is the studio.

Co-created by Brocklehurst and directed by Jamie Payne, the original mini, which Brocklehurst wrote on spec, is about an ordinary man, a taxi driver (Morrissey) who – because of family mystery, frustration with his job and his life – makes a terrible decision and starts working for a criminal.

“The Driver contains subjects I love to explore – ordinary people in extraordinary situations, father and son relationships, double lives, the lies we tell ourselves, the need to escape the mundane,”Brocklehurst wrote on the BBC site. “But most of all, I’m proud of the fact that we have mixed together a character drama and a thriller and come out with a show that can break your heart, whilst also having some kick ass car chases.”

HBO PR said:
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 30, 2015 – HBO has greenlit LEWIS AND CLARK, with production on the six-hour miniseries to begin this summer, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. Casey Affleck (“Interstellar”; Oscar® nominee for “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”) stars as Meriwether Lewis and Matthias Schoenaerts (the upcoming “Far from the Madding Crowd”; César Award winner for “Rust and Bone”) stars as William Clark. The miniseries is executive produced by Tom Hanks (Emmy® winner for HBO’s “The Pacific”), Gary Goetzman (Emmy® winner for HBO’s “Game Change”), Edward Norton (HBO’s “By the People: The Election of Barack Obama”), Brad Pitt (Emmy® winner for HBO’s “The Normal Heart”), Dede Gardner (Emmy® winner for HBO’s “The Normal Heart”), Tim Kelly and Adam Leipzig.

“In LEWIS AND CLARK, we can see American idealism and the breathtaking natural beauty of the continent, as well as the complexities and tragedies of what came to be known as America’s ‘manifest destiny’,” said Lombardo. “We are tremendously excited to bring together this incredible group of talents to tell a seminal American story.”

Based on the book “Undaunted Courage,” by Stephen E. Ambrose, LEWIS AND CLARK tells the story of America’s first contact with the land and native tribes of the country west of the Mississippi River. The miniseries follows the epic journey of the Corps of Discovery and its captains, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, who traverse uncharted territory on a mission to deliver President Jefferson’s message of sovereignty as they search for his fabled all-water route to the Pacific. LEWIS AND CLARK focuses not just on their incredible achievements, but also on the physical, spiritual and emotional toll the expedition takes on them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
An HBO historical miniseries, you say? Sold. That's what got me into serialized TV way back when.

Didn't see this coming:

- Deadline: ‘Quarry’ Picked Up To Series At Cinemax
Cinemax today officially announced an eight-episode series order to drama pilot Quarry. Production will begin March 30 on location in New Orleans and Tennessee. Created and executive produced by Graham Gordy & Michael D. FullerBased on the novels of Max Allan Collins, the show will be directed and executive produced by Greg Yaitanes (Banshee), along with executive producer Steve Golin (True Detective).

Quarry tells the story of Mac Conway (Logan Marshall-Green), a Marine who returns home to Memphis from Vietnam in 1972 and finds himself shunned by those he loves and demonized by the public. As he struggles to cope with his experiences at war, Conway is drawn into a network of killing and corruption that spans the length of the Mississippi River. Jodi Balfour, Peter Mullan, Nikki Amuka-Bird and Damon Herriman co-star, along with Jamie Hector, Edoardo Ballerini and Skipp Sudduth. “This nuanced and dynamic show marks an exciting moment in the evolution of Cinemax programming,” said HBO’s Michael Lombardo.

An HBO Entertainment production in association with Anonymous Content, the series is also executive produced by Matt DeRoss, David Kante, Max Allan Collins and Ken Levin. Additional writers on the series include Jennifer Schuur and Max Allan Collins.

Cinemax has been making strides in original programming with dramas Banshee and The Knick, the latter earning the sister HBO network its first awards nominations.
Quarry is alive!

TheOddOne

- EW: 'Selma' director to make TV series with Oprah Winfrey
Selma director Ava DuVernay is re-teaming with Oprah Winfrey for the filmmaker’s first TV drama series.

DuVernay will write, direct and executive produce a series based on the novel Queen Sugar for Winfrey’s OWN cable network. Not only that, but Winfrey herself will act in the series—the first time Winfrey has stepped in front of the camera for a scripted role on her network.

Queen Sugar, from author Natalie Baszile, will “chronicle a spirited woman who leaves her upscale Los Angeles lifestyle behind to claim an inheritance from her recently departed father—an 800-acre sugar cane farm in the heart of Louisiana. Her world and identity are turned upside down as she and her teenage daughter attempt to navigate a new and very different environment while rebuilding their farm from scratch. She is met with curiosity and community, with resistance and romance. It isn’t long before a transformation begins and she realizes that she’s been living a lot farther from her Southern roots than mere miles.”

No word yet which role from the book Winfrey will play, but we’re told it’s a recurring character in the series.

Wiktor

Didn't see this coming:

- Deadline: ‘Quarry’ Picked Up To Series At CinemaxQuarry is alive!

Fuck yeah. When I posted couple months ago that the writer said it's still alive I was kind of afraid to keep up the hope. Really glad it came through. Amazing novel series and the Logan is perfect for the role.
Plus while Knick is great, Cinemax is known for amazeballs action shows and with Strike Back finishing they will need something alongside Banshee to keep that tradition alive.

Also regarding Quarry/Banshee, Yaitanes noted yesterday on Twitter that he's going to be directing all 8 episodes of the former.
big news about my next effort. i'll be directing all 8eps: #Quarry Picked Up To Series
Presumably that means that he'll be much less involved with Banshee in the future(?)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also regarding Quarry/Banshee, Yaitanes noted yesterday on Twitter that he's going to be directing all 8 episodes of the former. Presumably that means that he'll be much less involved with Banshee in the future(?)

Great news for Quarry. I think Banshee'll be okay without him.

Also regarding Quarry/Banshee, Yaitanes noted yesterday on Twitter that he's going to be directing all 8 episodes of the former. Presumably that means that he'll be much less involved with Banshee in the future(?)

So does this mean the pilot episode will be scrapped? The press release says 8 episodes, Yaitanes says he will be directing 8 episodes and I think John Hillcoat directed the pilot.

Would make some sense with the cast changes. Might also be why the decision took so long, trying to decide how best to proceed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So does this mean the pilot episode will be scrapped? The press release says 8 episodes, Yaitanes says he will be directing 8 episodes and I think John Hillcoat directed the pilot.

Would make some sense with the cast changes. Might also be why the decision took so long, trying to decide how best to proceed.

Ah, that's a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to reshoot the pilot considering the fact that the original pilot was shot in - I think - late 2013. It's incredible that it took Cinemax over a year to decide what to do with the show.

Wiktor

It's funny that with Cinemax optioning John Rain they will have two greatest literary hitmen on one channel

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Issa Rae Comedy Gets HBO Pilot Order

HBO is moving ahead with Insecure, giving a pilot order to the comedy project starring Issa Rae. Co-created and written by Rae and Larry Wilmore, Insecure focuses on the awkward experiences and racy tribulations of a modern day African-American woman. These are also themes Rae has tackled in her successful webseries, The Misadventures Of Awkward Black Girl, which won a Shorty Award.

I was actually wondering what happened to this just the other day. Nice to see it's still alive.

- Deadline: ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ Pilot Not Going Forward; ‘Roadies’ & ‘Billions’ Looking Good At Showtime
Showtime has opted not to proceed with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Rachel Bloom’s half-hour comedy pilot with musical elements directed by Marc Webb. The project, co-penned by comedian and Robot Chicken staff writer Bloom and The Devil Wears Prada scribe Aline Brosh McKenna, starred Bloom as a woman who gives up her partnership at a Manhattan law firm in an effort to find happiness in the Los Angeles suburb of West Covina. Santino Fontana, Michael McDonald, Donna Lynne Champlin and Vincent Rodriguez III co-starred in the pilot, from CBS TV Studios. The genre-bending Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was an experiment, and I hear it had strong moments and some standout songs, but it proved a risky proposition to pull off.
Meanwhile, I hear both other Showtime pilots — the hourlong Roadies, from Cameron Crowe, Winnie Holzman and J.J. Abrams; and Billions, from Andrew Ross Sorkin, Brian Koppelman and David Levien — are looking good. Roadies, which stars Luke Wilson and Christina Hendricks, originally was envisioned as a half-hour series after filming an hourlong pilot, but I hear it now will stay one-hour in series. The Wall Street-themed Billions stars Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti.
So happy Roadies is most likely getting picked up. Billions looks very good too.
I think there's a pretty big chance we'll see them this year? Maybe in the fall?

Top Bottom