• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Iwata talks about the Gamepad, Miiverse, & increasing the gaming population

Nikkei has published another article、called 'The valley Between Engrossment and Reliance: Things Mr. Iwata Wants To Protect (The Revenge of the Wii U & 3DS Part 2)' with in interview with Mr. Iwata. I have translated Mr. Iwata's comments below. Let me know if you have any qualms with the translations.

Article is here: http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXBZO50570470T10C13A1000000/

On Wii U vs. Wii Sales...
"I don't think there's much point comparing the weekly numbers to the Wii, or the weekly numbers themselves. Worrying and rejoicing each week is something we can't avoid. On the subject of the reaction to the Wii U, there are still things we must do, things we must overcome. That's what we're waiting on."

"I think it will take a little time for our customers to understand the Wii U."

On customers' satisfaction with the Gamepad...
"Setting aside the dissatisfaction some purchasers have with start-up and software change speeds, which we will improve, speaking only of the 2-screens, people find that they enjoy the Gamepad more than they thought when they actually hold it themselves. People realize the importance and benefits of having a personal screen that works in conjunction with the TV the more they use it, slowly, but that doesn't transfer to people who have yet to use the system."

On transmitting a system's message...

"[The initial reaction to the DS] was terrible. The DS began with sentiments like 'Has Nintendo lost the plot?' and 'have they gotten that desperate?'. When the PSP released, no one thought that the DS would succeed. That was the narrative at the time, but when things like Brain Training and the DS Lite came out, that changed. Afterward, people thought, 'Ah, so that's what that was, huh?'.

"The Wii was an exception. With the Wii, the DS Boom was in full force, and we were able to show off the tennis demo using the Wii Remote Controller, and it was a simple concept for everyone, one that could be understood immediately."

"We were really lucky, but at that exact time, the popularity of large-screen flat panel TVs was increasing, and the living room space opened up a little bit. We had a really strong wind behind us (luck) and we didn't have to work particularly hard to send our message."

On accusations of copying the Ipad...
"We began talking about having another screen being a good idea around 2008. We thought thoroughly about our other options, but in the end, this was the idea which was the most logical for us. So, in 2009, just as we began to press forward with this idea, sure that we were on the right track, this thing called an 'Ipad' came into the world."

"So, 2.5 years after the debut of the Ipad, when we were announcing the Wii U, it was the start of the tablet boom, the reaction was, 'Nintendo's just added a tablet to a game console, and there'll be no revolution this time.' Even though we'd been working on dual screens prior to the release of tablets, it looked like we were just following a trend."

On changing the way families play games...

"The Wii, with which we wanted to change the way game consoles existed in the family environment, changed the perspective and the result was the Wii U. The Wii's challenge was to, once again, gather the whole family in the living room to play. A restoration of tea time. Before digital TV and flat screen TVs, the number of TVs per family had been increasing, and it was common for there to be a TV and gaming console in the kids play room or bedroom. Because the big, good quality TVs entered the households, and they wanted to use them, families that had been separated came together once more in the living room and we were successful.'

On the concept of Off-TV Play...

"But, with that change, the TV also became a shared item and people who played games were interrupting people who did not. This was a dilemma. So, when making the Wii U, we discussed what could be done about situations where you were told to stop playing games because someone else wanted to watch the TV. We came up with many ideas internally and combined them in the Gamepad."

On beating Smart TVs at their own game...

"When we thought of the Gamepad, I was convinced that future TV remotes would, like the Gamepad, come with a screen attached. This is the so called Smart TV, right. TV manufacturers have, for a long time, been making trials for the internet to be viewable on TVs, but the hurdle with that is that inputting text on a regular remote is very difficult. There is [was] no remote that allowed you to read, touch, and type in your hand."

"There, the TV purchase cycle is, at shortest, 5 years, and at longest 10 years, and since many families have only recently purchased a new TV, many will likely not purchase one for a while. So, while thinking all this, we thought how about we make a game console that borrowed from the concept of future TVs. Change the pleasure of using the living room TV experience at once, sort of thing."

On increasing the gaming population...

"There are many things on the internet that are more interesting when viewed together. Watching videos, shopping, trip planning, and the Street View Google Map service [which will begin on Wii U] this month, in January. This way, if it's an enjoyable experience, for people who don't have any interest in games in the family, rather than something that's a hassle to have, the Wii U can become something that they have a connection with."

"I am still thinking about increasing the gaming population, and it's something I'd like to spend my whole life doing. Not becoming an enemy of mothers is healthy. Previously that idea wasn't in the minds of game shops, and I said it a little too forcibly, maybe, but now I don't talk like that. People are aware of that idea now, see. But the way of thinking hasn't changed. In order to realise that change we must improve the reception people have to Game Console Companies. For example, suppose there is someone who doesn't play games, but does watch Youtube, and this person gets used to holding the gamepad, the threshold for gaming has been lowered in them. Or, until now, there has been cases of a mother wanting to watch TV, but the child doesn't want to quit his game, and then they argue over it, but now the kid can continue playing solely on the pad. It is in this way that we can change the reception of gaming companies."

On Miiverse, empathy, and social gaming...
"The outlook for Nintendo fans on social networking services such as Twitter is worsening. If we look into it, the people who used to post about Nintendo are satisfied with Miiverse and have stopped posting online as much."

"When we first spoke about Miiverse, we were told that trying to make a social network now was a fool's errand. We were asked by many people why we weren't simply connecting up with Twitter or Facebook. But, what we thought would be good about the service has largely come true and, as of right now, our customers are really enjoying it. The networks of people on Facebook and Twitter aren't all people you are playing games with, right? From my viewpoint, I don't use Twitter or Facebook [privately] but if I were to, it would be about things like 'Hey, wanna go for a drink?' 'Wanna go on a trip?' 'Why don't we have a class reunion?', and so on, it wouldn't be just about the people who I am playing games with. Because I couldn't tell my high school buddies that I had got a high score in Mario Kart. (Laughs)"

"We, Nintendo, have always thought this, but games shouldn't just be about the time you spend with a console, but also telling people that you passed something, or that you found a neat trick is interesting. If I were to put a name on it, it would be empathy."

"Mr. [Shigeru] Miyamoto has been talking about this concept for years, the reason that the games that he makes are popular around the world is that they have that meta-shared experience between players. Mr. Miyamoto likes making you feel that, and giving you the ability to feel that. It was at a time thinking about that that we received the original idea for Miiverse. Like 'Ah, this is an empathy network.'"

"So, with 'empathy' as a theme, we created Miiverse to make games played alone not a lonely experience, but one that you could experience with many people. In order to make that a reality, we had to integrate it into our platform, and support it as a unified service."

”[Regarding Miiverse on PCs and Smartphones]I can't make any concrete statements about when it will be available yet, but it won't be far away."

"If there was Miiverse on the 3DS [Note, the article mentions this is still the intention] it would probably be something amazing. If Miiverse and Animal Crossing were integrated together, we'd have the chance to create something even more awesome [than what is going on now]."

On personal information posted on Miiverse...
"We delete personal information immediately. Never longer than 15 minutes. It would be too late to act once something has happened."

On additional charges for games...
"It's built to be difficult to have unlimited charges. Each time the charge screen will appear, or you need to recharge in 1000 yen increments so it's very difficult to be charged just by continuing to push a button."

On the company's philosophy...
"We aim to leave a smile on our customer's faces, no matter whether it's the game being interesting, a parent and child talking about gaming, or a grandfather being able to remain cheerful. Because it's worth doing, our staff can smile too. If our performance rises, so too our investors smile. If this chain is successful, Nintendo can be something worth keeping and continuing, and we can fulfill our responsibility to society."

Conclusion[ (for donny2112)
"[Nikkei]Former CEO Mr. Yamauchi taught Mr. Iwata, his protege, that 'when selling leisure items, which are not daily necessities, if you win it's heaven, if you lose it's hell,' as well as the concept of remaining calm in the face of disappointment and skilled indifference. This mean that when you are not blessed with luck, without panicking, calmly prepare, and work hard, when you are blessed with luck, you remain thankful and work hard calmly. So, Mr. Iwata intends not to be hung up on the upcoming profits and focus on working on creating pure products. 
Looking at Nintendo's 123 year long history, the current situation is only a small blip. They have 410 billion yen (US$4.65 billion) or more in cash and internal reserves. When we asked Mr. Iwata about his hopes for the coming year he responded that 'As we have no new hardware releasing this year, we must work hard to surprise and delight people with our software. I want this year to become one where many people can feel the bright future of the dedicated console gaming business.' It was short and sweet and with it we feel Nintendo's strength and awareness with its unchanging position of calmness.

Kokonoe

Banned
They really need to make it so you can send messages to other people without going all the way into Miiverse and it's messaging thing.

Miiverse on the web / smartphones is an awesome idea... Great way to tie Nintendo into modern post-PC devices while drawing people to Nintendo hardware and games

So did he say anything about going third party or is that under wraps until the next Nintendo Direct?

In all seriousness, these interviews always have some interesting insights. Iwata seems like a smart guy.

ASIS

The fact that he was able to pin-point the reception of the Wii-U is reassuring that they do have an idea of how to fix it... but its time to act Iwata.

goomba

Banned
Interesting they want to position the gamepad as a remote touch interface for the TV. It is a much cheaper and integrated means to do so compared to an iPad with appletv or Xbox 360 plus smartglass tablet.

They really need to make it so you can send messages to other people without going all the way into Miiverse and it's messaging thing.
Wait, you have to go to Miiverse to send a simple PM? Does that involve loading and all that jazz versus XBL and PSN's simple messaging system?

If Miiverse on 3DS is not a way to access what is already on Wii U but a 3DS version of Miiverse then I believe the 3DS will just cannibalize the Wii U version unless everything is merged somehow :( Allowing you to post from anything unto a united Miiverse

Animal Crossing + Miiverse

Pokemon X Y + Miiverse

means 3DS Miiverse will kill off the Wii U version in no time unless they are all connected

IrishNinja

good translation, thanks OP. i wonder how many moderators they have to keep on for miiverse content? that's only gonna grow as it gets accessible from PC's.

i may not agree with all of it, but it's well-thought out as ever...this stuff and iwata asks segments show an understanding of the industry that i wish was more prevalent, it's why the weird "FIRE IWATA" camp around here can't be taken seriously

donny2112

means 3DS Miiverse will kill off the Wii U version in no time unless they are all connected

They have to be all connected. Pretty sure that's the point. The PC/mobile app certainly has to see everything, so not sure why the Wii U/3DS versions wouldn't. May have to go to a 3DS/Wii U section, though, as not everyone will have both.

Tmdean

Banned
Wait, you have to go to Miiverse to send a simple PM? Does that involve loading and all that jazz versus XBL and PSN's simple messaging system?

Everything involves a lot of loading on the Wii U at present, but Miiverse isn't that bad. It's accessible while playing a game and the messaging interface is one tap after that. Comparatively, it loads faster than most other stuff in the OS.

I hope that they also address the issue of not being able to access Miiverse depending on the application you're in or the gameplay mode you happen to be in.

Miiverse should be available 100% of the time and it's really frustrating trying to set up an online game and then not being able to check your friend list from the lobby or message anyone :/
A big oversight I feel is that miiverse is browser based and not actually coded directly into the OS. That's why it's load times feel sporadic and messaging is so cumbersome
That was a big issue for the PSN store when it launched but Sony was able to recode it into the system (even though it's taken a huge step backwards in the latest update IMO) so it shouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to recode Miiverse.

guek

Banned

A big oversight I feel is that miiverse is browser based and not actually coded directly into the OS. That's why it's load times feel sporadic and messaging is so cumbersome

Erethian

Having it web-based makes it way, way easier to improve it over time because it doesn't require people to download new firmware.

Platform agnosticism and version control are why web-based applications are so much in vogue these days.

Having it web-based makes it way, way easier to improve it over time because it doesn't require people to download new firmware.

Platform agnosticism and version control are why web-based applications are so much in vogue these days.
What has Nintendo done so far to make us think that they're concerned with the frequency of firmware updates?

vareon

Iwata is a brilliant man. This interview makes me not worry about Nintendo.

Certainly, but we need to remember how Nintendo changed during its long history. They will need to change if that's what it takes to survive as long as it's in line with their philosophy, and the changes might not be comfortable with us--just like the Gamecube -> Wii days. It's still interesting to see what are they going to do next.

They have to be all connected. Pretty sure that's the point. The PC/mobile app certainly has to see everything, so not sure why the Wii U/3DS versions wouldn't. May have to go to a 3DS/Wii U section, though, as not everyone will have both.

the amount of communities Miiverse will have to support in the future is mindblowing the thing is slow as it is now. A community for each and every game on Wii U and 3DS damn

nubbe

Nintendo will need to spend quite some money to convince people.
They need to buy their own Halo or Gears for War to attract core games in the west.
We love our guns and bald space marines.

Nothing he said gave me confidence as a 3DS and Wii U owner. Software is at the root of all their problems.

Kid Icarus and NSMB2 were the only Nintendo-made games I bought on 3DS in 2012. And I only really liked the first one. Fire Emblem is great, but it's also the only game I'm looking forward to. I don't care about the influx of RPGs.

As for Wii U, I'm waiting anxiously for Pikmin, but I passed on NSMBU since it's more of what I got tired of on 3DS. I own the system and haven't even bought a Nintendo-published title on it yet. What does that tell you?

And I still doubt they have any idea of how to use the GamePad screen in any innovative ways for singleplayer games (although it works quite well for Miiverse).

They need to exponentially increase their own production of in-house titles, since third-parties are not and will not carry the platforms for them. Why they haven't realized this over the course of the past 15 years is way beyond my level of understanding.

985boi

Interesting they want to position the gamepad as a remote touch interface for the TV. It is a much cheaper and integrated means to do so compared to an iPad with appletv or Xbox 360 plus smartglass tablet.

You can use your iOS/Android devices to control your tivo/directv/dvr too.

Thanks for the translation. Interesting read.

I don't do private messaging but can't you just bring up the home menu via the home button go to the friendlist and message from there? I will check after work.

Well if they want to expand the service to 3DS and PC/smartphones as well as keeping it for future hardware a browser-based service makes the most sense. I'm fine with the performance once I'm in but the start-up times could be enhanced.

exactly thats my question. how good will nintendo in house engine be for the Wii U and how much are they willing to spend to create the visuals we love so much. can they push Wii U past the best from PS3... last of us and such?

What makes nintendo so special for me is that i know no producer there will ever ask them self this question first. Gameplay comes first.

Sandfox

This shows me that Nintendo knows what they need to do and I'm curious to see what they bring in the next two years.

Empathy network is a great way to describe MiiVerse and the street pass integration, and it's exactly why it's awesome. So great to see the thoughts of others in-game.

Can someone explain this to me please..

..On the subject of the reaction to the Wii U, there are still things we must do, things we must overcome. That's what we're waiting on
Like I really get confused here. Are they waiting...on waiting???

Enzon

Iwata always comes out like a really wise CEO imo, i think he gets it and that makes me confident as a 3DS owner.

I really want Miiverse on the 3DS as fast as posible, it's a Wii U feature i'm very jelous of

OryoN

Definitely communicating the message of Wii U is a challenge for Nintendo. Here's a quick story...

Just a couple days ago, my brother's girlfriend was over. Now, she's not really a "core" gamer but neither is she a stranger to video games or owning consoles. She owns a Wii and has access to other systems, but is considering purchasing her own Xbox 360. Concerning Wii U her words were:

"I could buy that new Wii U too, but I don't really understand what it's about."

I sighed for a moment at the thought of how many people like her are having the same dilemma. So being the ambassador that I am(j/k), I briefly explained the concept of the system and the usefulness of having your own personal gamepad screen. She was even surprised to know that old Wii controllers are compatible. But the real magic happened once I showed her some NintendoLand 5-player gameplay on youtube(on my 360, haha). Not only was she smiling from ear to ear as the concept clicked, but she was genuinely into the action as if we were playing it then and there. I didn't question her on whether she'll eventually the Wii U or not, but she definitely felt more confortable knowing about this system.

It's that kind of knowledge that sells a console to the average consumer. Core gamers, for the most part(obviously excluding super fanboys), can be persuaded on buying any console once the right piece of software catches their attentions. Eventually, they'll come around. The average consumer, however, appears lost in the Wii U message to the point where it doesn't matter what software is available. That's a problem!

Replying to above (on phone):

The Wii U name is terrible. They were trying be cute and was a bad idea. Should have gone for Wii 2.

"Will my Wii pads work on the new one? Yes? :O"

That's your only hurdle and you clear it.

Nintendo will need to spend quite some money to convince people.
They need to buy their own Halo or Gears for War to attract core games in the west.
We love our guns and bald space marines.

this will never happen, if they were thinking of this need they could have scooped up THQ before things got so bad. I don't think Nintendo cares about competing on that level

BowieZ

Banned
The one factor in Nintendo's favor that people seem to miss is that consumers are at the very least asking about the Wii U (while being woefully ignorant), rather than not even knowing that it exists to begin with.

It shows that the general public is curious and suggestible, still with a healthy mindshare that can be built upon at Nintendo's beck and call.

sakipon

Iwata always comes out like a really wise CEO imo, i think he gets it and that makes me confident as a 3DS owner.

I really want Miiverse on the 3DS as fast as posible, it's a Wii U feature i'm very jelous of

Yeah, really looking forward to it. I hope they go backwards and create communities for old games. Because once the 3DS Miiverse gets released, I want to go and leave my mark for all of my 3DS library.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Another interesting interview. Thanks.
Miiverse on 3DS can't come soon enough. (I don't want it to be at the expense of Swap Note though!)

little off topic but I noticed when I turn on my WiiU the mii plaza thing does not show the games that are popular like it did when it launched. Now it is just bland boring icons that are on the gamepad. Any help to get the old back? It looks like it would look if I were not connected to the internet but I am. playing black ops 2 now

zroid

Banned
little off topic but I noticed when I turn on my WiiU the mii plaza thing does not show the games that are popular like it did when it launched. Now it is just bland boring icons that are on the gamepad. Any help to get the old back?

that means you're offline; do an internet connection test.

Top Bottom