• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

syko de4d
Member
(01-16-2013, 07:53 PM)
syko de4d's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tomat

Whats the deal with uniques in this game? Just how rare are they?

some are not that rare some are super ultra rare

And Uniques really are Unique, many of them can do things rare(yellow) items canīt do


There are even Unique End Game Maps ;)
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(01-16-2013, 07:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Tomat

Whats the deal with uniques in this game? Just how rare are they?

There are generally two tiers of uniques, the "common" low level and build-enabling uniques, then the super rare super powerful ones.

On a complete playthrough to the end of Merciless you will be lucky to find one or two of the common ones, though you will probably find enough currency to trade for ones you want.

The super rare uniques can be extremely expensive depending on their socket links and mod values, and are so rare that only half a dozen of that unique currently exists in the whole closed beta.
Last edited by BurnOutBrighter; 10-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.
The_Monk
Member
(01-16-2013, 07:59 PM)
The_Monk's Avatar
A friend of mine is looking for a game for me to play with him on PC.

It's going to be Path of Exile, I hope. I'm loving the info regarding the PC specs to play the game.
Snkfanatic
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:01 PM)
Snkfanatic's Avatar
Oh nice didn't know it was coming out soon. May have to get a copy of it.


EDIT: Ooo F2P eh?? Nice
Last edited by Snkfanatic; 01-16-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Tomat
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:09 PM)
Tomat's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurnOutBrighter

There are generally two tiers of uniques, the "common" low level and build-enabling uniques, then the super rare super powerful ones.

On a complete playthrough to the end of Merciless you will be lucky to find one or two of the common ones, though you will probably find enough currency to trade for ones you want.

The super rare uniques can be extremely expensive depending on their socket links and mod values, and are so rare that only half a dozen of that unique currently exists in the whole closed beta.

I didn't play Diablo 3 at all, but I was under the impression that people were complaining about the low drop rate of Uniques in that game. Was that the case or did I misinterpret what I heard?

If people WERE complaining about the low drop rate of Uniques, I wonder if people will have the same problem in PoE.
syko de4d
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:13 PM)
syko de4d's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tomat

I didn't play Diablo 3 at all, but I was under the impression that people were complaining about the low drop rate of Uniques in that game. Was that the case or did I misinterpret what I heard?

If people WERE complaining about the low drop rate of Uniques, I wonder if people will have the same problem in PoE.

The Problem in d3 was that the Uniques were bad designed and 99% the same as rare items.

This is completly different in D2 and PoE. Here you can find Builds that only work because of some Uniques.
K.Sabot
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:15 PM)
K.Sabot's Avatar
#whoa #wow

Good OP.
fluffydelusions
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:16 PM)
fluffydelusions's Avatar
Is this going to be on Steam?
Setvan2734
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:19 PM)
Setvan2734's Avatar

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

Is this going to be on Steam?

Not right away, but in a few months / eventually, yes it will be on steam.

Source: Here, and here.
Last edited by Setvan2734; 01-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(01-16-2013, 08:22 PM)
Thanks for the compliments on the OT everyone :)

Is anyone having trouble viewing the OT? I really like the animated GIFs for the trailers but I know they can cause a lot of browser lag, especially in Chrome. I have static JPEGs I can use if necessary.
ilnadmy
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:26 PM)
ilnadmy's Avatar

Originally Posted by KKRT00

Laptop with 4570 i ts6600 2.2ghz d2c runs it decently, so You will be fine.

All I have on my laptop is integrated Intel graphics, although it can handle stuff like Civ V. I guess I'll give it a try when the open beta rolls around.

Originally Posted by BurnOutBrighter

Thanks for the compliments on the OT everyone :)

Is anyone having trouble viewing the OT? I really like the animated GIFs for the trailers but I know they can cause a lot of browser lag, especially in Chrome. I have static JPEGs I can use if necessary.

I'm using Chrome and GIFs are showing up fine with no lag.
Einbroch
(01-16-2013, 08:29 PM)
Einbroch's Avatar
Wait. Are the classes in this game gender locked?
Setvan2734
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:31 PM)
Setvan2734's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Wait. Are the classes in this game gender locked?

Yes, but there might be different character models you can buy for $$ that change what you can look like later on
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
(01-16-2013, 08:31 PM)
Yoshichan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Wait. Are the classes in this game gender locked?

Yep!
AllIsOneIsNone
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:32 PM)
AllIsOneIsNone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Wait. Are the classes in this game gender locked?

Don't quote me on this as I haven't been following the game as close as others, but I'm pretty sure GGG said you'd be able to purchase the non-default genders in the cash shop. Not sure if that will be available upon open beta release or somewhere down the road. I'd definitely like the option of a male ranger though, that's for sure.

Edit: hmm, I'm looking around to find something that proves that my post isn't complete b.s. Sorry.
Last edited by AllIsOneIsNone; 01-16-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Einbroch
(01-16-2013, 08:33 PM)
Einbroch's Avatar
Well that's a huge bummer. I went from pretty excited to meh. Not because I really care about playing certain genders or whatever, but because that really limits variety in things like animation and armor.
Lactose_Intolerant
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:42 PM)
Lactose_Intolerant's Avatar
I think they said they will make the other genders when they get enough money. You have to make all the armor for each character. Plus voice acting. Animations
Skab
Member
(01-16-2013, 08:43 PM)
Skab's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Well that's a huge bummer. I went from pretty excited to meh. Not because I really care about playing certain genders or whatever, but because that really limits variety in things like animation and armor.

One of the devs was in chat over on Kripps stream and mentioned that it costs them tens of thousands of dollars per class to do gender swaps, so it just wasn't feasible for them to do.
KKRT00
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:17 PM)
KKRT00's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Well that's a huge bummer. I went from pretty excited to meh. Not because I really care about playing certain genders or whatever, but because that really limits variety in things like animation and armor.

It will be available, when its ready and they will have dev time to spare for that. They'll rather make more weapons and skills for them [like for claws and daggers are currently "underskilled"], then do new genre for existing class.
Gameplay is a priority for them and adding characters is very consuming for PoE devs, because not only they have to model him/her, fit all existing armor pieces, but also do animation for all 80+ skills they have and for all future skills they will have and game is being done by only around 20 people.
Shining Sunshine
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:21 PM)
Shining Sunshine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Well that's a huge bummer. I went from pretty excited to meh. Not because I really care about playing certain genders or whatever, but because that really limits variety in things like animation and armor.

Serious? If you want a female barbarian, roll a ranger and then make it melee.

Simple.
Kalnos
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:27 PM)
Kalnos's Avatar
Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked 100 times:

Is the only difference between classes, besides aesthetics, where you start on the skill tree?
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(01-16-2013, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Kalnos

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked 100 times:

Is the only difference between classes, besides aesthetics, where you start on the skill tree?

Each class also has different starting attributes (strength/dexterity/intelligence) and I think they gain attributes at different rates per level.

Some builds can be nearly identical between classes, but the progression and levelling strategy will be very different.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(01-16-2013, 09:33 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar
So how does this game make money? What are the paid elements?

Edit: Ah OK, the answer is in the forum FAQ link:

A: Grinding Gear Games is 100% against Pay-to-Win. The cash shop will consist of cosmetic and convenience perks, such as:

Public stash tabs (viewable to other players for trade purposes)
Cosmetic pets
Alternate skill effects
Special animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
Special paid leagues (with custom game rules)
Guild storage
Alternate item skins and visual effects
Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
Item dyes

Gez
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:35 PM)
Gez's Avatar
Amazing OT for an amazing game.

I hope the mods don't move this after acouple weeks, game needs the exposure. DOTA2 thread hasn't being moved to Community for like a year now.

Originally Posted by NullPointer

So how does this game make money? What are the paid elements?

Edit: Ah OK, the answer is in the forum FAQ link:

The funny thing is for Stash and character slots and you get shit loads right off the bat. You get something like 30 character slots and more than effort stash space, like 4 or 5 tabs worth.

They really should nerf it i reckon for people not participating in closed beta.
Last edited by Gez; 01-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.
KKRT00
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:40 PM)
KKRT00's Avatar

Originally Posted by BurnOutBrighter

Each class also has different starting attributes (strength/dexterity/intelligence) and I think they gain attributes at different rates per level.

Some builds can be nearly identical between classes, but the progression and levelling strategy will be very different.

You dont gain attributes per level, its all about starting in passive skill tree.
spirity
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:44 PM)
spirity's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kalnos

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked 100 times:

Is the only difference between classes, besides aesthetics, where you start on the skill tree?

Taking the witch for example, that class starts off with having more mana than strength or dex. The marauder starts off with more strength, ranger more dex. The other classes are hybrids, so the Templar has an equal amount of strength and mana to start, etc. None of this really matters though because you'll be able to build your character however way you want and those initial bonuses to whatever stat become irrelevant.

Something worth mentioning here. Plate armor tends to have red (strength/melee) slots, cloth armor tends to have blue (mana/caster) slots, etc. Dex is green. Though you can change the colours with the necessary orbs, you'll find the rng is weighted to rolling slot colours that match the armour type. It might cost you quite a few orbs to get the combinations you want.

So there is some framework in place to support (or even promote?) traditional builds, but the system is expansive enough for it to be more tempting to make something unique.
Last edited by spirity; 01-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Shining Sunshine
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:44 PM)
Shining Sunshine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kalnos

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked 100 times:

Is the only difference between classes, besides aesthetics, where you start on the skill tree?

The starting area matters a lot, but once you go in deep, you'll be able to figure out how to make all types of class-types (ranged, spell caster, melee, etc) from any starting area.
Forsaken82
(01-16-2013, 09:46 PM)
Forsaken82's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tomat

I didn't play Diablo 3 at all, but I was under the impression that people were complaining about the low drop rate of Uniques in that game. Was that the case or did I misinterpret what I heard?

If people WERE complaining about the low drop rate of Uniques, I wonder if people will have the same problem in PoE.

it has more to do with the drop rate of worth while uniques especially in inferno. Most of the Uniques in Diablo 3 where for the most part shitty (around launch at least)
Gez
Member
(01-16-2013, 09:54 PM)
Gez's Avatar
This is why i love PoE's uniques.


You can build whole builds around a single item.
Wanny
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:01 PM)
Wanny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gez

This is why i love PoE's uniques.


You can build whole builds around a single item.

That's why we also like Dark Souls.

Anyway, can't wait. I liked what I played from some closed beta a while ago. I'll peek in in the open beta for sure!
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(01-16-2013, 10:13 PM)
SnakeswithLasers's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wanny

That's why we also like Dark Souls.

Mind telling me more about how this is like Dark Souls, over PM is fine? I'm interested in going back, but don't remember that aspect.

On topic:

I loved WW barbs in D2. I also really liked zealots, frenzy barbs, and other AoE Melee types. Any good examples of that? The dual wielding lightning strike sounds somewhat similar, but are there others?
almostheathen
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:18 PM)
almostheathen's Avatar
Just what I need more digital crack :D Looks good. Mmm hardcore mode.
Last edited by almostheathen; 01-16-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Shining Sunshine
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:19 PM)
Shining Sunshine's Avatar

Originally Posted by SnakeswithLasers

Mind telling me more about how this is like Dark Souls, over PM is fine? I'm interested in going back, but don't remember that aspect.

On topic:

I loved WW barbs in D2. I also really liked zealots, frenzy barbs, and other AoE Melee types. Any good examples of that? The dual wielding lightning strike sounds somewhat similar, but are there others?

Like a rapid attacking dude?

An early Alpha build was like that. Featured on the Build of the Week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fqZUYHYlBk

Edit: Not sure how easy it'll be to pull that off in the current patch, but I had something similar before.
Last edited by Shining Sunshine; 01-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Orayn
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:19 PM)
Orayn's Avatar
I got into the closed beta for this thanks to NeoGAF, but I've never been big into most Diablo-likes and haven't played much. Gonna reinstall and get my feet wet before OB hits, see if I can get into the swing of things this time.
Twinduct
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:22 PM)
Twinduct's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gez

This is why i love PoE's uniques.


You can build whole builds around a single item.

lol nerf cannon.
That's awesome though. Really looking forward to getting back in!

New topic, have they removed the invasion type PVP? (Saw that their seems to be official PVP gamemodes now)
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(01-16-2013, 10:29 PM)
SnakeswithLasers's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shining Sunshine

Like a rapid attacking dude?

An early Alpha build was like that. Featured on the Build of the Week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fqZUYHYlBk

Edit: Not sure how easy it'll be to pull that off in the current patch, but I had something similar before.

Not exactly actually. More like single "click" attacking and controlling multiple mobs. Similar to how you'd say multiple projectiles works with bows.
Ricker
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:30 PM)
Ricker's Avatar
I was surprised with the gender lock when I tried to make a Ranger and noticed you can only be female...I can understand for the Witch but the Ranger...still,game is pretty cool,especially for F2P so this is minor for me...I now have a Duelist,Witch and Ranger...all that is left for me to try is the Marauder...my main will probably be the Witch,then Duelist...oh and awesome OP,good job.
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(01-16-2013, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Twinduct

New topic, have they removed the invasion type PVP? (Saw that their seems to be official PVP gamemodes now)

Cut-Throat still exists but is not a permanent league at this stage, mainly because the balance breaks up as the game progresses. They do hold short Cut-Throat leagues from time to time though.
Justin
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Twinduct

lol nerf cannon.
That's awesome though. Really looking forward to getting back in!

New topic, have they removed the invasion type PVP? (Saw that their seems to be official PVP gamemodes now)

If you are talking about "cutthroat" it is a special league that has been tested several times during beta. I am sure it will pop up again since everyone seemed to love it.

There is also several pvp arenas that are separate from that and available in all leagues.
HiddenSentry
Member
(01-16-2013, 10:56 PM)
HiddenSentry's Avatar
Can't wait for this. Me and my kiwi are ready to rock.
Shining Sunshine
Member
(01-16-2013, 11:00 PM)
Shining Sunshine's Avatar

Originally Posted by SnakeswithLasers

Not exactly actually. More like single "click" attacking and controlling multiple mobs. Similar to how you'd say multiple projectiles works with bows.

That same character has cleave, which is an AoE. Ground Slam is also a melee AoE with a stun chance.

Can't find a video that really shows it well except this bit at the end of Kripp's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PZ_F_S0D4&t=15m

He was able to mow through a lot of enemies with that build, but it is an old version and many changes and fixes since then.
Perkel
Banned
(01-16-2013, 11:10 PM)
Bar for OT has been raised. That is some slick classy OT. I was sad that i can't do OT but if i compare my project with this i am actually happy now because my OT would seriously suck.

GOOD JOB.

7 days people !
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(01-16-2013, 11:45 PM)
SnakeswithLasers's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shining Sunshine

That same character has cleave, which is an AoE. Ground Slam is also a melee AoE with a stun chance.

Can't find a video that really shows it well except this bit at the end of Kripp's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PZ_F_S0D4&t=15m

He was able to mow through a lot of enemies with that build, but it is an old version and many changes and fixes since then.

Yuck, building a whole character on cleave sounds boring. =(

I'm sure they'll add more skills to make melee interesting, for now I'll stick with caster/bow.
Rubius
Member
(01-16-2013, 11:47 PM)
Rubius's Avatar
I bought the 100$ pack.
I save Kiwis on the side line.

Waiting for a full release before playing it... Wait there wont be anymore wipe right?
Max
I am not Max
(01-16-2013, 11:49 PM)
Max's Avatar
Great OT. Bought the $50 package months ago, really excited to get back into it during open beta.

Needs to get on steam asap
Saprol
Member
(01-16-2013, 11:50 PM)
Saprol's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rubius

Waiting for a full release before playing it... Wait there wont be anymore wipe right?

The wipe is at the start of open beta.
Gez
Member
(01-16-2013, 11:50 PM)
Gez's Avatar
I was reading on the forums the developers plan on having 10 acts over 10 years.
Rubius
Member
(01-16-2013, 11:53 PM)
Rubius's Avatar

Originally Posted by SnakeswithLasers

Yuck, building a whole character on cleave sounds boring. =(

I'm sure they'll add more skills to make melee interesting, for now I'll stick with caster/bow.

That's the thing about the passive system is that you can do pretty much anything.
I probably will stick with the Barbarian and go full defense or double handed. Still checking that.

Originally Posted by Saprol

The wipe is at the start of open beta.

Yeah but there wont be any release wipe right? So I could start to play at the Open beta and be alright till the end of the first major abuse glitch they find?
Forsaken82
(01-16-2013, 11:55 PM)
Forsaken82's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gez

Amazing OT for an amazing game.

I hope the mods don't move this after acouple weeks, game needs the exposure. DOTA2 thread hasn't being moved to Community for like a year now.



The funny thing is for Stash and character slots and you get shit loads right off the bat. You get something like 30 character slots and more than effort stash space, like 4 or 5 tabs worth.

They really should nerf it i reckon for people not participating in closed beta.

Actually, maybe its just me, but i saved a lot of shit from one character to the next in my stash. those 5 tabs aren't that much when you end up having 3-4 + characters :P
Tomat
Member
(01-16-2013, 11:55 PM)
Tomat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gez

This is why i love PoE's uniques.


You can build whole builds around a single item.

That is hilarious, I love it. I really hope there are a ton of unique and viable builds down the road.

Thread Tools