• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Rubius
(01-16-2013, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Gez

This is why i love PoE's uniques.

You can build whole builds around a single item.

BTW do we know who made what unique? Like do we know what is Notch unique in the game? Did he used the famous Notched Pickaxe?
syko de4d
(01-16-2013, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Tomat

That is hilarious, I love it. I really hope there are a ton of unique and viable builds down the road.

Every Diamond Supporter (1000$) can design their own Unique with the Developer. There are over 150 of them now. So this alone is 150 Unqiues, where still the most is in work.

And the Diamond Supporter Uniques represent only 1/4 - 1/3 of all Uniques :)
BrokenEchelon
Banned
(01-16-2013, 11:59 PM)
Will there be a character wipe from Open Beta -> Release?
syko de4d

Originally Posted by Rubius

BTW do we know who made what unique? Like do we know what is Notch unique in the game? Did he used the famous Notched Pickaxe?

this unique in the video was made by Brother Laz, the maker of Median XL mod from Diablo2.

There are some Uniques with his name on it and some will still come.

Originally Posted by BrokenEchelon

no
Shining Sunshine

Originally Posted by SnakeswithLasers

Yuck, building a whole character on cleave sounds boring. =(

I'm sure they'll add more skills to make melee interesting, for now I'll stick with caster/bow.

I dunno, you were saying building melee AoE characters. Not sure what you really want.
Yaboosh

No.
Justin
(01-17-2013, 12:00 AM)

No.
KKRT00
(01-17-2013, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by syko de4d

Every Diamond Supporter (1000$) can design their own Unique with the Developer. There are over 150 of them now. So this alone is 150 Unqiues, where still the most is in work.

176 to be exact :)
spirity
(01-17-2013, 12:06 AM)
There will be occasions when your skill tree points will get reset. This will come usually after a major patch that tackles balancing. But its not a big deal to just go and spend your points again, and hey, look on it as a free respec.
Gez
(01-17-2013, 12:06 AM)
If i had $1000 i would probably make a Rubber dildo weapon for PoE.
syko de4d
(01-17-2013, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by KKRT00

176 to be exact :)

ok, looks like many hit the button in the last 2 weeks :P
Sophia
(01-17-2013, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Gez

I'd make a Druidic staff. That summons bears. Because why not? Everything is better with bears.
Conciliator
(01-17-2013, 12:08 AM)
Playing this currently and I really like what they're doing, but I actually prefer pretty colors to GrimDark. Other than that they're doing some really cool stuff. I didn't understand what the point was with the non-gold economy but reading the OP makes it make a lot of sense. Clearly some forethought went into this stuff.
Valnen
(01-17-2013, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Shining Sunshine

Serious? If you want a female barbarian, roll a ranger and then make it melee.

Simple.

I imagine your melee ranger would get it's face smashed in on harder content.
spirity
(01-17-2013, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Gez

Pair it up with the Shabby Jerkin.
Leezard
It's Just the
Sweet Scent of Butane
(01-17-2013, 12:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Valnen

Not necessarily, you have quick access to the evasion -> armor keystone, from which it's not very far to the Strength passives.
Rubius
(01-17-2013, 12:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Gez

You know, I would probably make a talking sword. A sword that make a "ouch!" sound when you get a critical, and scream like a women in a old horror movie, when you are near death. Her name would be Tyna. Double red, Double green. Reduce the armor of the creatures around.

Could be cool.
Lactose_Intolerant
(01-17-2013, 12:21 AM)

As it was mentioned, you can get more armor from converting evasion to armor using Iron Reflexes. Plus dex gives you more evasion. The evasion aura grace is much cheaper to run than the armor version.
Shining Sunshine
(01-17-2013, 12:22 AM)

Kripp's "How to Crush Mobs in PoE" with a (semi) Melee Ranger

Lightning Strike is range-ish, but it's only available for melee attacks.
beyond_death
(01-17-2013, 12:24 AM)
Hype. I might get one of the support packs before open beta starts.
Rubius
(01-17-2013, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by beyond_death

Hype. I might get one of the support packs before open beta starts.

What I like about this company is that each pack give a portion of the money to help Kiwis who are now a endangered species.
And Kiwi's are cute :V
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(01-17-2013, 12:34 AM)

That's the thing about the passive system is that you can do pretty much anything.
I probably will stick with the Barbarian and go full defense or double handed. Still checking that.

Passive system doesn't add skills though. I guess I'm looking for more variety in the Strength builds than primarily auto-attack or stationary stuff.

I dunno, you were saying building melee AoE characters. Not sure what you really want.

Talking more like this: http://youtu.be/P0Zj8-jjcvU?t=11m59s

The genius of WW was that it removed collision with you and the enemies, so you would click past the pack, attack everything within, then repeat. It allowed melee to have access to the same level of AoE destruction as ranged.

What I'm looking for is a PoE skill in a similar vein.
Shining Sunshine
(01-17-2013, 12:36 AM)

The genius of WW was that it removed collision with you and the enemies, so you would click past the pack, attack everything within, then repeat. It allowed melee to have access to the same level of AoE destruction as ranged.

Eh I saw Kripp destroy shit faster than that in PoE with ground slam.
And I personally made ground slam's AoE range cover a third of the screen a while back.

There's like 2-3 dash abilities like leap and whirling blades that can punch through enemies, then like 4 AoE melee attacks like sweep, ground slam, cleave, lightning strike.
Rubius
(01-17-2013, 12:37 AM)

Passive system doesn't add skills though. I guess I'm looking for more variety in the Strength builds than primarily auto-attack or stationary stuff.

Do not add skills but still allow anybody to grab any talent. If you want to make a melee witch, you can, same way you can make a caster barbarian. And all skills can be used by anybody anyway.
Perkel
Banned
(01-17-2013, 12:39 AM)

Ethereal Knives is skill which essentially is faster WW with different animation.

BTW some comedy gold drop from shabby jerkin thread in poe forums:

type of bow just makes it even more funny
Last edited by Perkel; 01-17-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Lactose_Intolerant
(01-17-2013, 12:39 AM)

Righteous Fire works somewhat like this, but you have to build crazy amounts of health regen and fire resistance. There is a build of the week about it but it is a crappy build really.
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(01-17-2013, 12:42 AM)

Eh I saw Kripp destroy shit faster than that in PoE with ground slam.

And I personally made ground slam's AoE range cover a third of the screen a while back.

I dunno, was just hoping there was the mobile murder wagon of WW. I loved that skill. And frozen orb. =D

Do not add skills but still allow anybody to grab any talent. If you want to make a melee witch, you can, same way you can make a caster barbarian. And all skills can be used by anybody anyway.

I know how the passive tree and skills work, that's not what I was asking about.

I don't want to make a melee witch, I was asking about a specific aspect of the skills.

Originally Posted by Lactose_Intolerant

Righteous Fire works somewhat like this, but you have to build crazy amounts of health regen and fire resistance. There is a build of the week about it but it is a crappy build really.

Holy shit, that build looks boring as hell, lmao. =D
Last edited by SnakeswithLasers; 01-17-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Perkel
Banned
(01-17-2013, 12:44 AM)

I dunno, was just hoping there was the mobile murder wagon of WW. I loved that skill. And frozen orb. =D

I know how the passive tree and skills work, that's not what I was asking about.

I don't want to make a melee witch, I was asking about a specific aspect of the skills.

Ethereal knives
SnakeswithLasers
(01-17-2013, 12:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Perkel

Ethereal knives

I will research this.
KKRT00
(01-17-2013, 12:45 AM)

Whirling Blades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...m5hiWok#t=788s

You would need really special build for that solely this skill though. High mana/hp regen, very high attack speed and damage on it.
Arde5643
(01-17-2013, 12:46 AM)
Is is possible to create a good shadow build focusing on melee and traps? Or can you really only focus on one element (melee, archery, magic, etc) in this game?
KKRT00
(01-17-2013, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Arde5643

Is is possible to create a good shadow build focusing on melee and traps? Or can you really only focus on one element (melee, archery, magic, etc) in this game?

Not, You can combine whatever You want and make it work endgame :)

---
Imho think the best melee builds are those ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CHGLWhMunM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ7TgQpiUgU

Flicker Strike is so awesome.
Valnen
(01-17-2013, 01:01 AM)

Originally Posted by KKRT00

Whirling Blades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...m5hiWok#t=788s

You would need really special build for that solely this skill though. High mana/hp regen, very high attack speed and damage on it.

That doesn't look like whirlwind at all. =/ It's more like the D3 monk's dashing strike.
AllIsOneIsNone
(01-17-2013, 01:36 AM)
What's the level cap going to be once open beta hits?

edit: thanks for the answers, last time I played I believe it was 60 or 70. Pumped to get some extra nodes!
Last edited by AllIsOneIsNone; 01-17-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Skab
(01-17-2013, 01:37 AM)

Originally Posted by AllIsOneIsNone

I believe it's 100.
Sophia
(01-17-2013, 01:39 AM)

Originally Posted by AllIsOneIsNone

It's 100, and it takes a very long time to hit the cap on it.
Perkel
Banned
(01-17-2013, 01:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Sophia

Like your never probably will reach it.
Decado
(01-17-2013, 01:54 AM)

Originally Posted by syko de4d

no char wipe anymore, this is a soft release. What you get now you will have forever.

Cool, but I mean when will the game have a full release? Few things less appealing than developing a character as the devs tinker with balancing.
Gez
(01-17-2013, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Sophia

I'm sure Yoshichan will go for it. I believe he finished D3 in one 12.5hr sitting .
Shining Sunshine
(01-17-2013, 02:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Gez

I'm sure Yoshichan will go for it. I believe he finished D3 in one 12.5hr sitting .

D3 is a joke. Even Paragon 100 is nothing compared to PoE max level.
Credo
(01-17-2013, 02:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Gez

I'll go for it too, but I know I'll never reach it. Even if I make a good enough build that withstands a few nerfs, I'm afraid burnout will get me if it does truly take something like a year to get a character to 100.
SnakeswithLasers
(01-17-2013, 02:19 AM)
Does poison damage stack/roll, or does it reset?
lexi
(01-17-2013, 02:27 AM)
Okay, I've been *mildly* curious about this game for a very long time, remaining very cautiously pessimistic... Maybe someone who is familiar with the genre and who has a lot of knowledge about this game can inform me...

Is this basically a modern Diablo 2? Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Diablo 3, etc have all failed to recapture the atmosphere, mechanics, loot, look and feel of Diablo 2. I would be very excited if this game ends up being the TRUE successor.
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(01-17-2013, 02:29 AM)

Originally Posted by lexi

Okay, I've been *mildly* curious about this game for a very long time, remaining very cautiously pessimistic... Maybe someone who is familiar with the genre and who has a lot of knowledge about this game can inform me...

Is this basically a modern Diablo 2? Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Diablo 3, etc have all failed to recapture the atmosphere, mechanics, loot, look and feel of Diablo 2. I would be very excited if this game ends up being the TRUE successor.

I would say it is in some respect, but the gem system and the barter economy make it very different in ways. You don't just get spells based on your class. It's all dependent on what gems you get and how you allocate them in your gear, and how you level yourself up on the skill tree (which, like FFX, is shared by all the characters. Each class just starts in a different place).
gervldo
(01-17-2013, 02:29 AM)
It'd be nice if I had he skill to determine if this will run on my crap 2010 hp, but maybe I'll just download it and be disappointed that it didn't run (like when I downloaded D3).

Looks awesome.
BurnOutBrighter
Banned
(01-17-2013, 02:30 AM)

Does poison damage stack/roll, or does it reset?

If you mean Viper Strike, it can stack up to 4 times.

There are several types of DoT though, which have their own rules.
Gez
(01-17-2013, 02:30 AM)

Is this basically a modern Diablo 2?
Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Diablo 3, etc have all failed to recapture the atmosphere, mechanics, loot, look and feel of Diablo 2. I would be very excited if this game ends up being the TRUE successor.

Many including myself will probably describe it to you as Diablo 2.5 but thats mostly from a atmospheric and graphics POV. The customization is very deep and i would say it surpasses Diablo 2 in that regard.
Credo
(01-17-2013, 02:31 AM)

That's what it feels like to me. I played all the games you listed above, and Path of Exile feels more like a successor than any of them.

Luckily for you, the only thing it'll cost you to find out is your time!
lexi
(01-17-2013, 02:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Credo

That's what it feels like to me. I played all the games you listed above, and Path of Exile feels more like a successor than any of them.

Luckily for you, the only thing it'll cost you to find out is your time!

I will check out this open beta. Thanks for all the responses!

Originally Posted by thetrin

I would say it is in some respect, but the gem system and the barter economy make it very different in ways. You don't just get spells based on your class. It's all dependent on what gems you get and how you allocate them in your gear, and how you level yourself up on the skill tree (which, like FFX, is shared by all the characters. Each class just starts in a different place).

This sounds excellent, actually. D2 meddled with this kinda thing but it was more something that really started at endgame.
Last edited by lexi; 01-17-2013 at 02:39 AM.
crackbabyjr
(01-17-2013, 02:59 AM)
For people playing Witch or spell caster in general I guess, are you focusing mainly on one element or multiple. I've been trying a fire/lighting one and was using the skill tree builder. Focusing on the two spells seems to require a lot of points I could be using for cast speed or mana/mana regen and defenses in general, so I am just wondering how you guys have been building them and am I putting too much emphasis on spell damage.

Witch Build