• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition's female main character dropped due to overseas input

There was a topic about this interview, but I thought this part was thread worthy considering all the talk about female leads in games recently

Swery At first we were considering a female FBI agent as the main role, but after receiving some input from overseas we changed it to the male character that’s in the game now. We listened to a lot of advice from overseas and since I play a lot of non-Japanese games I wasn’t so opposed to much of the comments. However, what I am picky about is the story and the gameplay so when we heard that we should add some gun shooting aspects to the game (probably marketing advice), I wasn’t so sure. With hindsight, I guess the game was seen as a kind of twist on the survival horror theme so perhaps they  weren’t completely wrong to suggest it.

http://www.toybox-games.jp/english0107.html

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing video games have taught me, it's that women are meant to be eye candy and dismembered torso statues, not heroes.

Eusis

Shooting wasn't the worst idea given they gave you ways to cheese through it, but dropping a potential female lead IS disappointing. Maybe with his next game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game already has a good female lead in Emily. York was a great character, so I can't really make any comments like things might have been better if so and so, because I was extremely compelled already.

Yuripaw

Banned
They should be going with a female FBI agent for Deadly Premonition 2...I feel like York's story arc was already told in DP1, and I don't see where else they could go with that character if they have him in the next game.

params7

Banned
If there's one thing video games have taught me, it's that women are meant to be eye candy and dismembered torso statues, not heroes.

Its a pity you never played MGS3 or Half Life, Beyond Good and Evil etc etc. Or like to over-analyze useless shit for drama.

Eusis

Its a pity you never played MGS3 or Half Life, Beyond Good and Evil etc etc. Or like to over-analyze useless shit for drama.
While it's hyperbole, there is an issue with female leads thrown out due to marketing. Sleeping Dogs is another example of this.

DatDude

Banned
I wished we lived in a world where developers and publishers didn't have to strive for money when making games, but did it off pure love and passion for the arts of video games.

It makes me how question how much creativity and wonder is starved in today's era of gaming.

White Man

Probably a wise move. Pretty sure York (and probably more importantly his VA's performance) is why I stuck with the game.

Not saying it couldn't have turned out as good or better, but seeing as how much of the game is shaky (or worse), I'm happy with what worked super well.

(also: was a successor confirmed? If so, I don't want York back since his story is done.)

icmANgxv8x1xV.gif

params7

Banned
While it's hyperbole, there is an issue with female leads thrown out due to marketing. Sleeping Dogs is another example of this.

I think the issue here is that devs need to stop trying to satisfy everybody. That just won't happen, ever. They need to find their passion then channel it. If fan opinions is enough to modify their lore/script, I would begin to doubt the depth and integrity of the lore in the first place.

Devs from West and East have shown great female leads can be done if done right with character development in there.

DatDude

Banned
A bit off topic but has anyone made a thread announcing that Swery is making 2 more horror games, and 1 will be announced this year?

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
York was perfect for me, but the game sure could have benefited without the shooting sections. They felt completely out of place and broke the pace of the game. But I guess it's the price to pay if we want more games like this.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Probably a wise move. Pretty sure York (and probably more importantly his VA's performance) is why I stuck with the game.

Not saying it couldn't have turned out as good or better, but seeing as how much of the game is shaky (or worse), I'm happy with what worked super well.

(also: was a successor confirmed? If so, I don't want York back since his story is done.)

How do they top York though? I don't see how they make a successful sequel without him.

I've read rumours about a potential prequel, but as you said, no sequel since York's story is done.

GavinGT

Banned
I bet Emily was the original lead character. They spent a ridiculous amount of time on her model compared to just about everyone else.

so1337

I'm okay with this. York's character is a huge part of what makes that game so great.
I bet Emily was the original lead character. They spent a ridiculous amount of time on her model as compared to just about everyone else.
Well, she still IS a very important character.

- J - D -

But then it wouldn't be bizarro-world Twin Peaks. The homage is much more evident with York as the lead. He is in many ways Agent Cooper.

I like York, so no big loss I guess.

this though, this is some messed up shit.

However, what I am picky about is the story and the gameplay so when we heard that we should add some gun shooting aspects to the game (probably marketing advice), I wasn’t so sure. With hindsight, I guess the game was seen as a kind of twist on the survival horror theme so perhaps they  weren’t completely wrong to suggest it.

I'd love to play the game with no shooting. makes me wonder how certain boss battles would play out though, unless they were massively reworked due them being 'encouraged' to add gunplay.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I have to say admit that a female York sounds even more interesting than the York we have. Not enough weird, quirky female protagonists in games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, it's why I hope he can do it for his next game rather than being angry/sad over this one, Francis Morgan was too awesome a lead.

He already stated previously that he wanted to create a new protagonist for DP2 but the publisher told him to use York again.

York is a VERY awesome protagonist, but it seems like gaming still has some growing up to do when gamers will pass on good games because of female leads. Would of been interesting I think.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game would have been sooo much better without shooting.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I have to admit that the game really wouldn't have been the same without York or his voice actor. He really made the game for me. The creepy smile, pointing at himself, talking about movies he's watched, talking about things he sees in his coffee, the facial expression he makes when he's shocked... I really can't imagine the game without him.

With that said, I really liked how Emily was handled for the most part in this game. Hey Swery, maybe next game. :D

And the game would've been an open world adventure game without the shooting, really. I could've done with dungeons being puzzles rather than what they were, myself.

GavinGT

Banned
Yeah, I have to admit that the game really wouldn't have been the same without York or his voice actor. He really made the game for me. The creepy smile, pointing at himself, talking about movies he's watched, talking about things he sees in his coffee, the facial expression he makes when he's shocked... I really can't imagine the game without him.

It sure looked like he was pointing at himself, but I think it was just intended to be an idle tick.

York is a VERY awesome protagonist, but it seems like gaming still has some growing up to do when gamers will pass on good games because of female leads.

I don't think that's true, I just think publishers (and I assume the publisher's marketing teams) think gamers won't buy a game with a female, black, latino, asian etc protagonist. What it's based on, I have no idea.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It sure looked like he was pointing at himself, but I think it was just intended to be an idle tick.
Makes sense, especially considering his other interesting quirks ("Nice shot!").

I still like my interpretation of it because I just find that animation so nice.

Yagharek

At the very least its encouraging that there are some standout female lead characters in games, and even some standout assist characters such as in Half Life 2.

As a white male, I'd much rather play characters who aren't focus grouped to hell to look like what mainstream impressions of what 20-something white males want to play as according to marketing departments. Instead, give me anything else, so long as it is genuine and sincere in its conception.

I've gotten to the point where I will instantly ignore any game with a bland shaved head, white male protagonist on the cover (think mass effect, star wars force unleashed for instance). They just ooze design-by-committee blandness.

Eusis

But they don't.
There may be a silent but large contingent that absolutely would.

Or they did some focus testing, asked which people prefer, and they generally picked their own genders even though they would've played as the opposite gender. Either that wasn't factored in, or it was and they decided the former overrode the latter.

But they don't.

That doesn't seem to be how the industry feels. The change in DP is one indication, and here's another from Activision

One individual, a former employee, tells us that the original concept for Black Lotus' protagonist had been modeled on actress Lucy Liu, whose action-heroine roles in films like Charlie's Angels and Kill Bill formed the basic inspiration. "Black Lotus was a great project internally," says the source. "We were all very proud of what we were trying to make and the team was excited. We made great progress."

But 2007 was a year when the top sellers on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 included Halo 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed and Madden NFL -- and the conclusion Activision took from that was that there was no room on the market for games starring a female main character. Another former employee with knowledge of the situation explains: "We were all on board, and then Activision killed it, said they don't do female characters because they don't sell."

"Activision gave us specific direction to lose the chick
," says the other source plainly.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/InDepth_No_Female_Heroes_At_Activision.php#.UPfP5ifqiNg

With that said, I really liked how Emily was handled for the most part in this game. Hey Swery, maybe next game. :D

And the game would've been an open world adventure game without the shooting, really. I could've done with dungeons being puzzles rather than what they were, myself.
Yeah, Emily was cool until the end. :|

Top Bottom