• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(01-21-2013, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Sinatar

Why would you buy a console instead of a handheld or tablet if you didn't want to use a TV?

Why do I use my iPad at home instead of my Mac mini plugged on my plasma? Because it's more convenient. Why the GamePad at home instead of my 3DS XL? Console games in my hands baby.

No off TV, no sale. I don't even have half enough time to progress in the games I have. If I need to wait for the wife to sleep to play, it will just add to my backlog.
Last edited by marc^o^; 01-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(01-21-2013, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by marc^o^

Why do I use my iPad at home instead of my Mac mini plugged on my plasma? Because it's more convenient. Why the GamePad at home instead of my 3DS XL? Console games in my hands baby.

no need to derail the thread by justifying this to them, you made your choice not to buy the game because it has no off tv play no big deal it is your money

I say no eShop no Sale all the time, I kinda mean it, until a really good game I want to play comes along... I still like games after all, being a Nintendo fan has never been about convenience :)

again anyone know the size of this file?
Incendiary
(01-21-2013, 10:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Aaron

Kind of. More like Lost Vikings, but with less vikings.

This comparison just awakened a pining for another Lost Vikings game. Ah well, I'll take this.
darkressurection
(01-21-2013, 10:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

no need to derail the thread by justifying this to them, you made your choice not to buy the game because it has no off tv play no big deal it is your money

I say no eShop no Sale all the time, I kinda mean it, until a really good game I want to play comes along... I still like games after all, being a Nintendo fan has never been about convenience :)

again anyone know the size of this file?

The Giant Bomb QL of the 360 version had it at about 1 Gig, so I have to imagine the eShop one will be around that size.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(01-21-2013, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by darkressurection

The Giant Bomb QL of the 360 version had it at about 1 Gig, so I have to imagine the eShop one will be around that size.

ah good I won't have to what 8 hours for it to download lol

Thanks!
Krabboss
(01-21-2013, 10:28 PM)
Watching the Quick Look EX now and the humour isn't doing much for me yet. Maybe they're aiming for a younger audience?
Artanisix
(01-21-2013, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Krabboss

Watching the Quick Look EX now and the humour isn't doing much for me yet. Maybe they're aiming for a younger audience?

I only watched a fraction of the Quick Look as to not spoil too much and I enjoyed what I saw. I'm 24, for reference.

Also I GET A FREE TF2 HAT FOR PREORDERING ON STEAM? Can't go wrong with this.
Randdalf
(01-21-2013, 10:33 PM)

I dunno, I thought "My daughter can be hard to swallow sometimes" was pretty funny, and if that's just early on I'd expect it to get better along the way.
DeuceGamer
(01-21-2013, 10:33 PM)
I'll be picking this up for Wii U at midnight (assuming it's available at midnight). Can't wait to give it a go...
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(01-21-2013, 10:34 PM)

It is still dark humor, but younger is not a big deal
Baconsammy
Banned
(01-21-2013, 10:43 PM)

This is where the demo will play a big role for me. Definitely not blind-buying it.
Krabboss
(01-21-2013, 10:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Artanisix

I only watched a fraction of the Quick Look as to not spoil too much and I enjoyed what I saw. I'm 24, for reference.

Also I GET A FREE TF2 HAT FOR PREORDERING ON STEAM? Can't go wrong with this.

I'm only 21, I just meant maybe they were goin' for teens since the bits and pieces of humour I saw seemed pretty Nickelodeon-y (the opening monologue from the Cave was pretty painful). But as I watch more it just seems like some of the jokes are pretty bad and some are good.
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(01-21-2013, 11:03 PM)
damn my insomnia it is 6pm and I did not sleep at all last night... I was hoping to sleep wake up at midnight do an all night run with my first 3 and play again and see new areas sheesh

now I won't wake up until the rush of downloaders

I'm only 21, I just meant maybe they were goin' for teens since the bits and pieces of humour I saw seemed pretty Nickelodeon-y (the opening monologue from the Cave was pretty painful). But as I watch more it just seems like some of the jokes are pretty bad and some are good.

I am taking it as a game that is not taking itself too seriously, nothing happens when you die for example. There are a lot of fan service for those who played older games by Ron.
Much of the funny comes from that history the rest comes from the game just being very odd. I don't see the humor as childish at all, I'm 39 I don't think teens would enjoy this humor. I think the younger you are the more turned off you are to child-like things. It is not that serious if you just relax and not read so much into it seeking a deeper meaning but that is easier said than done I guess.

Humor is pretty much a taste thing, I would not call that a good metric of good/bad about this game.
Last edited by Smiles and Cries; 01-21-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Katzii
(01-21-2013, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by wouwie

Just a quick question whilst i try to avoid spoilers and such: will the game be fun playing solo or is this tailored for co-op?

I only played solo and had a great time with it.
Zia
(01-22-2013, 01:50 AM)
Is embargo up tomorrow? I've been looking forward to this but, yeah, need some reviews.
JennyTablina
(01-22-2013, 03:02 AM)
Worth noting for EU peeps: While Nintendo America does it's updates on Tuesday, Nintendo Europe does their update on the Thursday - and usually the update comes at noon so you likely won't see The Cave available on Wii U till Thursday afternoon. Xbox updates are usually noon tomorrow so that will be the earliest release of The Cave for the EU market
Tizoc
Banned
(01-22-2013, 04:41 AM)
When is the Steam release date? Got the game from GMG and waiting for the code to show up so i can redeem it.
Noema
(01-22-2013, 04:42 AM)
I knew very little about this game, but I just watched the GB Quick Look, and I'm now intrigued. It definitely has a very endearing old Lucasarts meets Psychonauts vibe to it, at least when it comes to the aesthetics and the tone.
Last edited by Noema; 01-22-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Dog Problems
(01-22-2013, 04:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Tizoc

When is the Steam release date? Got the game from GMG and waiting for the code to show up so i can redeem it.

On the 23rd.
TriGen
(01-22-2013, 05:01 AM)
It's up for Wii U in NA, right now !
darkressurection
(01-22-2013, 05:01 AM)
Up on the eShop!
Zeer0id
(01-22-2013, 05:02 AM)
Ha! Knew it :D

demo isn't up yet, I take it?
Last edited by Zeer0id; 01-22-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Pomegranate
(01-22-2013, 05:05 AM)
Bought!
darkressurection
(01-22-2013, 05:07 AM)
Oof, servers must be taking a beating. Download went from an hour and a half, to 3 and a half. :(
GulAtiCa
(01-22-2013, 05:09 AM)
oh sweet. Downloading on Wii U now.

So strange to think of a new non-retail game going live not on a Thursday.
EDarkness
(01-22-2013, 05:10 AM)

Originally Posted by GulAtiCa

oh sweet. Downloading on Wii U now.

So strange to think of a new non-retail game going live not on a Thursday.

At least it shows that they're fairly flexible about when games go live.
TriGen
(01-22-2013, 05:11 AM)

Originally Posted by darkressurection

Oof, servers must be taking a beating. Download went from an hour and a half, to 3 and a half. :(

Mine says 58 min.
Tizoc
Banned
(01-22-2013, 05:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Dog Problems

On the 23rd.

Wicked thanks.
VGChampion
(01-22-2013, 05:13 AM)
Oh wow, figured it would be awhile until this game came out. First game I'm interested in from them since Costume Quest. Wii U here I come.
Artanisix
(01-22-2013, 05:59 AM)
SO JEALOUS OF YOU WII-U OWNERS.
TriGen
(01-22-2013, 06:09 AM)
Download complete! Time to explore the depths of The Cave.
Artanisix
(01-22-2013, 06:10 AM)
Post impressions 8)
_PsiFire_
(01-22-2013, 06:11 AM)
20 minutes to go (I should be in bed). At least I can view NeoGaf on my controller while I wait.
Zeer0id
(01-22-2013, 06:12 AM)
also for the love of gilbert, tell us once and for all if there's off tv play, lol
Askherserenity
(01-22-2013, 06:12 AM)
I'm so close to buying it for the Wii U....Post impressions guys! How does it look? Frame rate? Etc.
oatmeal
(01-22-2013, 06:19 AM)
About to buy on the Wii U...

Does it have Off Screen Play?
_PsiFire_
(01-22-2013, 06:21 AM)
I'll let you know if there's off-screen play after it installs. OT but I haven't used the WiiU to browse too often but I'm really loving it! I just learned that - by holding both triggers, I can zoom up and down pages easily.
Krakatoa
(01-22-2013, 06:26 AM)
14 mins to download..can't wait :-)
TriGen
(01-22-2013, 06:30 AM)
No off-tv.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(01-22-2013, 06:37 AM)

Originally Posted by TriGen

No off-tv.

Well, good luck with that.
Jucksalbe
(01-22-2013, 06:38 AM)
Ugh, of course it's not up in Europe.
oatmeal
(01-22-2013, 06:38 AM)

No off-tv.

Fuck.

Not buying.
EDarkness
(01-22-2013, 06:41 AM)

No off-tv.

Wii U developers really are going to have a hard time making games for the system. Some people won't buy if the game doesn't have off-TV play, some won't buy if it doesn't support the pro-controller, some won't buy if it doesn't support IR. Not saying I don't agree with people who won't support a missing feature, but still something that companies making games for the Wii U have to think about.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(01-22-2013, 06:42 AM)
no moneys. Bummed. Lookin forward to reading impressions and i'll get it as soon as I can. One of my most awaited games for sure
Askherserenity
(01-22-2013, 06:42 AM)
Does anyone know how difficult it is to implement off-screen play? Do you think it can be done through a small update?
Smiles and Cries
To hell with Bono,
here's a worthy cause.
(01-22-2013, 06:44 AM)
love my eShop woke up downloading XD

Originally Posted by Askherserenity

Does anyone know how difficult it is to implement off-screen play? Do you think it can be done through a small update?

could be patched in later easy if we make enough noise about it go to Twitter and bug Ron and Double Fine about it
Last edited by Smiles and Cries; 01-22-2013 at 06:47 AM.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(01-22-2013, 06:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Askherserenity

I heard it takes like two lines of code.

It's one thing to not have it in games like ZombiU, it's another to not have it in games like this.

I usually am for whatever the developer wants but I think it's bullshit here.
dreamfall
(01-22-2013, 06:46 AM)
Whoawesome- Wii U owners in first?! Give us some impressions!

Waiting for it on Steam- anyone know when the reviews are up?
LiK
(01-22-2013, 06:49 AM)
cute OT
terrdactycalsrock
(01-22-2013, 06:53 AM)
Do we have any word on how big this game is? During Giantbomb's quick look they seemingly went through the knight's story!