• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Zelda WW HD looks really not HD. That huge lightning doesn't do much favours since some textures still look like the originals.

In other news, OMFG Yoshi and Xenoblade. OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD.
Tears of joy ú_ù

Probably really early yet something they felt they needed to do to fill out the fall lineup. Referring to WW HD here.

MK U multiplayer online can be a killer app if done right. It better be done right.

Also to the guys saying no 3rd party mentions, this was only for first party or 2nd party games.

All 3rd party software, if any exists, will be shown at E3.

Pikmin 3 was delayed? From when to when? We never had an official release anyway right?

XaosWolf

Best Nintendo Direct ever. At least 3 megatons. Don't think it can get better than this (well, until they announce Metroid and F-Zero...).
It basically sold me on a WiiU.

Well if they manage to announce a Metroid and F-Zero (either of which could somehow be the Retro project) at E3 then they've won in this biased grumpy bastards eyes. =D

mclem

2014 -

New Mario Bros game for the Wii U
New Mario Kart Game for the Wii U
Smash Bros Wii U
Wii U party game
Xenoblade 2
Yoshi Wii U
Fire Emblem Crossover
Zelda Wii U
Monolith Soft Game

If two or more of the titles I've marked as 2014 make it out this year, I'll be very surprised.

I would not be too surprised if Mario Kart managed to make it in time for Christmas, and I suspect Yoshi might too. That said, beyond that, I think I agree with you.

Pikma

Banned
I'm gonna be the first one to come out and say that... Retro must be in problems, Nintendo threw out literally everything they had up their sleeves, and even then they didn't mention them at all, maybe they needed a bigger team for whatever they are developing and that's what was holding them on?

Shimesaba

Man, that Aonuma quote. It's really starting to feel like this is all some high-budget hoax put together by someone from GAF, how is Nintendo so good?

So was this event basically what I assumed it would be: nothing is on the horizon, but we're going to talk about stuff that won't see the light of day for ages just to keep the fanboy flames stoked? That's kinda what I expected as a response to how badly they've been beaten up in the press lately.

XaosWolf

First 20 minutes = Disappointment.
Last 10 minutes = Hype levels justified. Nintendo redeemed.
Last time they pulled that off was the E3 where they popped their head back on stage and said "Oh, and a Metroid game from Team Ninja"

The reaction to all that was great. =P

mclem

awajv0.gif

I'm being petty, given how good it looks elsewhere, but the interface between water and shore really looks ropey. And the framerate is questionable. Nevertheless, very early days, and besides my nitpicking, it looks awesome.

There's lots of text in some of these screens - anyone able to translate? I'm particularly curious about the "system log".

One question, why is it ok for Mother stuff to be released in Japan without the music issues or whatever but its not ok in English?

Different laws or something?

I'm gonna be the first one to come out and say that... Retro must be in problems, Nintendo threw out literally everything they have up their sleeves, and even then they didn't mention them at all, maybe they needed a bigger team and that's what was holding them on?
Likely will show up in E3, seems all the game shown is in development in Japan tbh.

Let's hope Tezuka is supervising Good Feel a little closer than he was Artoon for Yoshi's Island DS!
The style's obviously more Story than Island... and whilst i'd like to have a proper Yoshi's Island game, it's only right that he get a chance to atone for the sin that was Yoshi's Story.

effzee

I'm gonna be the first one to come out and say that... Retro must be in problems, Nintendo threw out literally everything they have up their sleeves, and even then they didn't mention them at all, maybe they needed a bigger team and that's what was holding them on?

Yeah I have been worried about them. Its been far too long since we have heard or seen anything. Plus there were talks of massive layoffs or talent departing.

Now it could be that they just want to surprise us. Off all the games shown or announced today, only 1-2 might be released this year. And the playable Mario U and M U weren't even shown at all. Maybe (hopefully) Retro's game is being saved for E3 with a possible release this fall?

So did it seem like they were making the WW HD remake a retail release or DL? Because this probably dictates if we are ever getting GC games on VC.

LayLa

said "oh shit" out loud twice, SMT/FE and dat X game
will buy a Wii U when either of these is released in EU (ie late 2014 probably)
see Nintendo, i went from "no buy" to "will buy eventually" in the space of 10 minutes, detailing future plans can help consumers.

I'm gonna be the first one to come out and say that... Retro must be in problems, Nintendo threw out literally everything they had up their sleeves, and even then they didn't mention them at all, maybe they needed a bigger team for whatever they are developing and that's what was holding them on?

Saving it for E3 probs.

Portugeezer

So was this event basically what I assumed it would be: nothing is on the horizon, but we're going to talk about stuff that won't see the light of day for ages just to keep the fanboy flames stoked? That's kinda what I expected as a response to how badly they've been beaten up in the press lately.

We know Mario and Mario Kart will be playable at E3. I could see them coming out near fall. I agree though, not much hope for the rest of the games coming any time soon.

I'm always up for being surprised though.

pixlexic

Banned
nice announcements! Yes there were some obvious games announced but there were a lot of surprises as well.

But all of this doesn't negate that there isn't anything out now.:(

It is funny to see the way over hyped post mixed on with the console fanboys negative post. .. .. But but what about the ROPs??

I'm at work, and all these threads are moving at the speed of light.

Can I get a synopsis? The OT doesn't have any.

From what I can see, Yoshi, SMT x FE, and....what's the monolith thing? What else am I missing?

I think that's bang on the money. The majority of these games need to be out this year to "save" the Wii U, but we all know they won't be. Games on store shelves sell consoles. The promise of them doesn't.

Not only that, but Nintendo need to show the reasons we need these games, other than just the titles and standard game play concepts. The Wii U needs to revolutionise game play in order to get Casuals/Sony/Microsoft gamers on board. E3 needs to highlight that more than anything.

IrishNinja

Ugh according to ign Nintendo is going with a "new" style. Why can't they learn? Why hype up everybody with that 2011 demo and then change it up?

well, go look at the spaceworld zelda demo, then Wind Waker. it's usually for the better when this happens.

Jintor

One question, why is it ok for Mother stuff to be released in Japan without the music issues or whatever but its not ok in English?

Different laws or something?

Uh... yeah, IP laws vary from country to country, it's true. Dealing with them cross-border is a major headache and some companies just don't bother.

pestul

I'm at work, and all these threads are moving at the speed of light.

Can I get a synopsis? The OT doesn't have any.

From what I can see, Yoshi, SMT x FE, and....what's the monolith thing? What else am I missing?

There are individual threads for all the games/updates as well.

Daedardus

I'm actually happy that they acknowledged they have some mismanagement plans when it comes to developping the games. Not saying I forgive them for it, by I hope that with them being open with it, they will want do to some effort to (partially) fix it. I hope.

It's at least better than Reggie saying: 'You ask me where all the games are? Look at all these games we have out now.'

Portugeezer

Reggie said they will shown Retro's game at E3 or something, possible earlier, but it's not E3, so if we don't see anything by E3 then we can assume that!

Meesh

Probably neither.
I'm probably reading too much into this, cuz I'm sure WW HD is in development to appease the hungry Zelda fans...but does anyone think in some way it's also being done to test the waters a little? To see if people have warmed up to the idea of revisiting a cel shaded Zelda? We've already got the handheld entries, and SS is pseudo cel shaded as it were...I'd definitely welcome a new open world Celda, any takers?

effzee

Well can't have it both ways. We complain all the time they don't show future line up and now they did.

Real problem here is the pacing of the releases. How they launched with non of the big guns, outside of NSMU at launch is beyond confusing. Especially after claiming they learned their lesson with 3DS. Really? Huge space since launch and till when these games will be released with basically nothing. And now Pikmin is delayed further? Majority of Wii U owners are fans of Nintendo games first and foremost. And they haven't done nearly enough to release their own software lineup to justify the new hardware.

Still they made up with it somewhat by showing at least something that's coming.

EDIT:

uhm no one is talking about thar Shin megami tensei/ Fire emblem game...

Well I am not familiar with either game at all.

Tell me why I should be hyped. I want to be hyped!

Iwata really trolled us.

"Let's talk about Miiverse and system updates. Now, slowly rereleasing Virtual Console titles. Now, games you already know about. Hmm, but what if I said Mario and Mario Kart at E3? Oh? You already expected those? Well then... YoshiSMTxFEWindWakerHDZeldaWiiUdetailsXenobladesequel, alright."

mclem

uhm no one is talking about thar Shin megami tensei/ Fire emblem game...

There's very little to say about it other than it's happening. I *assume* it's going down the SRPG path (more in FE's style), but even that's not really guaranteed.

Hell, it could be a fighter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom